What? Pork now available for sale in Qatar

Ershad

Pork meat is now available in Qatar, an employee at the Qatar Distribution Company has confirmed.

As a conservative Muslim country, Qatar has previously limited access to alcohol and completely banned pork meat in the country, as both products are considered haram, or unlawful, in Islam.

But rumors have been swirling for months that QDC, the only place where expats can purchase alcohol for home consumption, would begin selling the previously forbidden meat at its Doha location.

There’s also talk of a QDC opening on the Pearl in early 2012, which will sell both alcohol and pork.

Sales of pork bacon and sausage began two days ago, the QDC employee told Doha News. He did not clarify whether the meat would require a permit for purchase or be sold on a quota card, like alcohol is.

But customers said all that is needed is an alcohol permit to enter QDC, which only non-Muslims expats are presumably allowed to hold.

On Qatar Living, the development has already sparked excitement and dismay among Qatar residents.
Commenter qatarisAWESOME said:

SeriouslY?? …whats next? legalization of abortion in qatar??

User Alumnar said:

A pack of 8 sausages costs 28 Riyals. Available regular, cumberland and lincolnshire. Bacon: smoked or non-smoked, both in rashers or thick slices. Each pack 28 Riyals too. Expensive but available! I bet there is none left by tomorrow - QDC looked worse than Lulu on weekends at 4pm ;)

Commenter initiator said:

They should not sell it. It only appeals to some expatriates in Qatar, albeit a tiny percentage of them, and like any country in the world it is reasonable enough to expect some degree of respect for the local laws and norms. Qatar is a pretty liberal place any ways, and the people who do eat pork, will not be giving up too much in other ways by not eating it.

What do you guys think?

Source: http://dohanews.co/post/13146717097

esperanza

revert of many years
salam brother,,,

well in reality qatar is not as conservative as they like people to believe...
when asked how they would host a world cup...where people come not just for football ,but enjoyment, the minsiters reaction was something like..well were a moderate islamic country ,we can provide hotel beaches ,,,etc for their entertainment,,or words to that effect...qatar is now a big tourist destination like dubai .so have to cater to tourists likes

lovefordeen

salam brother,,,

well in reality qatar is not as conservative as they like people to believe...
when asked how they would host a world cup...where people come not just for football ,but enjoyment, the minsiters reaction was something like..well were a moderate islamic country ,we can provide hotel beaches ,,,etc for their entertainment,,or words to that effect...qatar is now a big tourist destination like dubai .so have to cater to tourists likes

assalaaamu alaikum sister

in qatar,nobody forces shareea' on muslims unlike in saudi arabia..but alhamdulilah..most qatari women wear abaaya without compulsion from govt unlike in saudi arabia....and people are mostly religious,masha'Allah ..that's the beauty of qatar..
well even though saudi enforces laws even on non muslims..i love saudi more than qatar..

sister,u r right...there's negative influence of non muslim foreigners here

lovefordeen

asslaamu alaikum

i'm totally against the selling of pork..why should we cater so much to non muslim needs...a foreigner can adjust without pork in qatar when other halal meat is available so abundanlty and cheaply masha'Allah..

asslaamu alaikum

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
The situation in qatar maybe different. M'sia we have 40% of the population Muslims hence the govt allowed sale of pork, aquas and also give license for gambling. All these, are only for NM needs, govt feels it is their rights. Qatar should not allow it, once they allow it will be very tough to impose the ban again.

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
asslaamu alaikum

i'm totally against the selling of pork..why should we cater so much to non muslim needs...a foreigner can adjust without pork in qatar when other halal meat is available so abundanlty and cheaply masha'Allah..

asslaamu alaikum

I can understand not liking the idea of pork being sold in that country, but how would you like to visit a country where you couldn't find halal food choices, because they weren't a Muslim country? Qatar is not ruled under shari'a law so I'm not surprised that this is happening. They could be legalizing a lot of much worse things than sausages.
:wasalam:

queenislam

★★★I LOVE ALLAH★★★
Why should Ban Of Pork And Alcohol!

:salam2:

:bismillah:
Allah swt said in the holy qur'an:
Forbidden to you (for food) are: dead meat,blood, the flesh of swine(pork), and that on which hath
been invoked the name of other than Allah
Holy qur'an surah:al Maidah 5:3

“They ask you (O Muhammad) concerning alcoholic drink and gambling. Say: In them is a great sin, and (some) benefits for men, but the sin of them is greater than their benefit”
[al-Baqarah 2:219]

Listed below are the harmful effect due to alcohol,
•Impaired behavior and judgment
•Memory loss
•Lack of concentration and co-ordination
•Impaired vision and hearing
•Slower motor skills and reactions
•Mood swings
•Slurred speech
•Jaundice
•Liver cirrhosis
•Alcoholic hepatitis
•Alcoholic fatty liver
•Liver cancer
•Vomiting
•Peptic ulcers
•Throat cancer
•Stomach cancer
•Gastritis
•Hemorrhaging
•Colon cancer
•Infertility
•Impotency
•Breast cancer
•Sterility (in men)
•Atrophy of testes (in men)

" Let him find out which is the best food
( to be had ) ... Eat of the best foods We
have provided for you . "

( Holy Qur'an 18:19;7:160 )

Muslims are forbidden to eat or touch such bad
food due to it's bad reaction to ourself inreturn.

We want an excellent and healthy community
the advice must too goes to the non muslims
as we supporting each other in building a country.

If Allah swt said it is bad then it is bad!
and allowing those non muslims consuming bad food is
unfair to them too.

Prove:
MEDICAL ASPECT OF THE PROHIBITION

Abstention from eating pork is a measure to safeguard
health.Of all the domestic animals, pig is the most
avaricious, eating anything including human excreta. It is the
cradle of harmful germs and parasites. Its meat is carrier of
diseases to man, thus making it unfit for human consumption.

~Healthy body support healthy mind!
Allahu Akbar!

Prevention is better than cure!

Thank you for sharing this news,
brother.
:jazaak:

~May Allah swt help,protect and guide all muslims~Amin!

Take care,
~Wassalam :)

sclavus

This is what's commonly referred to as "a rumor". Nothing consistent.

But it's not important. Qatar is just another international luxury pool. From all over the world, people come to the middle east to let loose.., is pork a real issue then?

After all they sure manage to eat pork illegally, bribery is universal.

lovefordeen

I can understand not liking the idea of pork being sold in that country, but how would you like to visit a country where you couldn't find halal food choices, because they weren't a Muslim country? Qatar is not ruled under shari'a law so I'm not surprised that this is happening. They could be legalizing a lot of much worse things than sausages.

assalaamu alaikum

but they have so much variety of meat to choose from...its just my opinion...we can't cater to every non muslim need...we have to be just with them,but not lose our values to make them happy...

assalaamu alaikum

John Smith

Just seen this thread and its no suprise to be honest,they will host the world cup in the near future and will allow certain laws to be relaxed,for example at the world cup in western countires alcohol which has already been mentioned will be consumed at a considerable rate and also the expoltation of women ;ie prostitution is big business when the world cup arrives.

I just hope the faithful are not distracted too much.

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
:salam2:,

No surprise at all but there's one thing we should keep in mind. When Allaah wants to bring down a destruction [bala'] to the wrong-doers, it will not be given specifically only to them; the wrong-doers but also the good people will feel the wrath of Allaah when they do not do anything to stop the falsehood [al-baathil].