What strengthens your faith?

Umair.

Even though I have not missed a fast, prayer or taraveeh this ramadhan I realise that my faith isn't as strong as some of you guys and when I come across some threads on here I realise that masha'Allah you have no doubts in your mind. I would like to know what strengthens your belief in Allah, in Islam being the correct way towards God and Prophet Muhammad being the last messenger.

Please do not link me to another page, discuss here if possible.

Isra

aka Tree2008
As salamo alaikome

EID Mubarak! Inshallah your fasting went well this Ramadan and I pray that Allah will accept all of our fasts and good deeds Ameen

I think you might find that most reverts like myself had been searching for the truth for some time before finding Islam (or should I say before Islam found us). In that case most of us have investigated other religions and have something to compare Islam to once we find out about it. I guess maybe in that way it makes it easier to recognise the truth once we find it.

For me all it took was reading Quran and having an instant understanding of it. From the moment I picked it up I felt something inside my heart. It was as if Allah was speaking directly to me through his words in the holy book. I had to keep putting it down because I couldnt see through my tears while reading it! I felt in my heart that what I was reading was the truth. It moved me in a way that nothing else in my life had ever touched me. I cant explain the feeling but it was really overwhelming.

Im not going to lie and say after that everything was smooth sailing because it wasnt at all. To believe in Islam is to live your life according to it so my entire life changed. I distanced myself from everything that I felt possibly could harm my progress towards living the life of a Muslim. I changed the way I talked, dressed and even ate!!! My family of course looked at me as if I was crazy! They thought I was just going through a phase and would snap out of it at any moment! To be honest even 2 and a half years later they are probably still waiting for me to snap out of it but instead of going back to my old way of life I have gotten closer and closer to Islam Alhamdulillah!!!!

I think what keeps my Iman so strong is that I continue to read at least 2 pages of Quran EVERYTIME I pray so 5 times a day I read at least 2 pages. I also think of Allah everyday while just going about my normal routine. If I happen to be outside I will look up into the sky at the clouds and think to myself "That is Allah". If I am inside I listen to Quran recitation or Huda TV while I am cooking or cleaning. I try to discuss Islam with my husband or others as often as possible. I guess the best way to keep your Iman strong is to concentrate on Islam and think of Allah often. Its not easy in this world because of course the shaitan has many ways to try and take our minds away from the remembrance of Allah so we must consciously fight the urge to listen to music or watch inappropriate things on television or even gossip (sometimes I get into that trap without even realizing that Im doing it because the shaitan is very tricky!).

It all boils down to a matter of choice. Do you choose to follow Islam correctly or do you just want to be Muslim in name only? I want to be the best Muslim I can be because my goal is to see Allah and our beloved Prophet (SAW) someday in Jannah inshallah.

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~
:salam2:

Staying on the straight path is a life long struggle.We have to struggle all our lives to fight our desires and whispereing of shaytaan.There is a anecdote about Imam Hanmbal(r.a)[I am not sure if it was him or someone else),he was on his death bed and approaching death,his son saw he was approaching death and asked him to recite kalimah.He said,"Not now".They kept asking him and he kept saying"Not now..Not now."Their sons where astonished they ask Abba you have served Islam so much and are such a great scholar why are you saying not now when we ask you to recite kalimah?Imam Hanmbal replied,"I am not saying not now to you but to shaytaan,he is standing here and keeps saying...now you are free from me..so I say to him..Not now."See it's a life long struggle and we have to battle it till death.It is easy for some it is difficult for many.As sister Isra and brother revert pointed out you have to busy yourself with good deeds and avoid evil that is the only way.One of the things I will like to advice you is whnever you feel down or have an evil thought seek refuge in Allah and repel those thoughts by good ones.As it says in surah fussilat Good and evil cannot be equal.Repel evil with that which is good.

And not equal are the good deed and the bad. Repel [evil] by that [deed] which is better; and thereupon the one whom between you and him is enmity [will become] as though he was a devoted friend.
41:35

But none is granted it except those who are patient, and none is granted it except one having a great portion [of good].
41:36

And if there comes to you from Satan an evil suggestion, then seek refuge in Allah . Indeed, He is the Hearing, the Knowing.(41:34-36)

Now for one bad deed there can be many good deeds you can use to repel them.Also the thing that is important is to purify ones intention.Always be conscious of what one is doing and why is he doing it?When it's a good deed.Let your intentions be for Allah alone.Since actions are judged by intentions.So keeping a track of intentions is too important.

:wasalam:

Wannabemuslim

Theres obviously alot of evil in the world, so for balence there would have to be something that contradicts it. Right? People tend to get lost the more we depend on technology, islam is something that dosnt need technology, it connects us with the earth and reminds us of our own morality.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I am simple. I am always awestruck by the evidence of the Quran. I might have read an ayat in the Quran that strikes the core of my being. I contemplate on the verse. I discuss the ayat. I seek hadeeth that would help to exemplify the verse. And I come to the same conclusions all the time: Which one of My Wonders do you deny.

My life has been blessed. I just count my blessings. Sunshine, lollipops, and rainbows.

Ershad

I come to the same conclusions all the time: Which one of My Wonders do you deny.

I guess you refer to Surah- Ar-Rahman here. Masha Allah, it is one of surahs I love the most (Though I love the whole Qur'an). Which moves me to tears. [yt]vr8DR8frP_s[/yt]

My inspiration and motivation comes from (probably strange) what I study or what I do for a livelihood. Masha Allah, I was born into a very pious muslim family. I was taught Qur'an and sunnah by my grandfather, mother and aunt. I had no problems in that. The mistake I did was that I took Islam too "lightly". I never missed a prayer or fasting. I never did anything haram. But, it was just out of fear of hellfire (which my mother used to intimidate with). But, I never did with love or passion for my religion. My mother used to say Prophet Muhammad (SAW) said his most happy moment in a prayer was when he does Sujud and feels the closeness to Allah. I never felt that closeness. I think probably because I just read Qur'an and not completely understand it's essence.
As I grew up, I took up secular studies too where Physics and Mathematics made me curious. I had huge interest in research. I always make sure that whatever I learn, I research it's origin and completely understand how some phenomenon evolved. So, I started out on a research career.
My study involved very close observation of the way of nature. I had to theoretically study how and why water, universe, air behave the way they do. When I studied them I found that the behaviour of these substances, were similar to those described in some surahs in Qur'an. There are surah's in Qur'an which talk about air, water, fire etc. That's when I took great interest in knowing the deeper meaning in Qur'an. I felt I will get answers or if not, I would enjoy the beauty of nature in Qur'an.

The Thing which really brought be close to Allah, that made me realize how small the whole scientific community, how small all these centuries of research are, was when I started to study about unpredictable forces of nature (In terms of physicists, Turbulence or chaos). Physicist come and go, the problem of Turbulence still persists. The behaviour of fluids, is also one of the millennium's unsolved mathematical problem. These problems left scientists baffled, even the best of them. Horace Lamb, a renowned physicist, was quoted as saying in a speech to the British Association for the Advancement of Science, "I am an old man now, and when I die and go to heaven there are two matters on which I hope for enlightenment. One is quantum electrodynamics, and the other is the turbulent motion of fluids. And about the former I am rather optimistic."
Though, I cannot solve these problems, I admire them on daily basis. These are small things people probably don't observe. But I see the clouds move, the leaves move violently in the wind etc. No matter how much the mathematics is developed and we have better simulations, the weather still remains unpredictable. That is the might of Allah. So, this gives me the strength of faith. To believe in the fact that there are lot of things hidden from me just like these complex things and only Allah know the answers. And the best for me would be get closer to him and admire him.

I think I can talk hours about it. I can talk about how human anatomy has baffled me. Like how meters of small intestine coiled precisely inside a small area. I can go on. I cant stop praising Allah after seeing his creations. But I should stop for now. And there are videos of people who took these inspirations from Qur'an to solve engineering problems. I don't know their authenticity but I am sure the solution works. And I also liked the inspiration, one of which I would like to share:

[yt]sq0kJDL3D8c[/yt]

Jazakallahu Khair!

alf2

Islam is a way of life
I have no doubts.

But keep in mind, before this life I was a "Christian" and mainly an Atheist. What strengthened my faith in Islam and the validity of the Qur'an was Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him. If the Qur'an is not a direct revelation, then Prophet Muhammad was a crazy man or a liar.

His character says otherwise. He was a noble person and not crazy, even though he thought he was at first.

Hrrm..Perhaps im not wording this right. People often ask "What makes a person have faith?" And its hard to say. Sometimes its as simple as reading the Qur'an and having this feeling that makes you want to cry.

Or being outside and watching the sunset. Or Seeing people and animals and the world makes me realize all this is NOT just a chemical reaction. It was planned. And Allah subhana wa ta ala is the best of planners.

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
Assalamu'alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh,

That was a good read, Brother Ershad. Jazaaka Allaahu khaayr.

Since I am majoring in engineering courses currently, I always find it hard for me to focus because my deepest interest is in another field. But the words of the brother gave some enlightenment and motivation that in whatever field we are studying especially that in science and maths, we will always get back to Allaah. . . that everything will lead back to Him subhanahu wa Ta'ala in the end.

Also, there are various ways on how one can think of the signs from God. Some receive through observing the beauty of the sky. Some receive it from the kindness of the heart. And some see it through the hardship of people's life [putting on another lens]. Off all the problems; the social, family, community and individual problems that people face daily, even the most horrible moments that can happen to a person, it never fail to make me think that indeed. . . indeed, everything, the Shari'aah laws, the prohibition on certain matters. . . it is for the benefits of the humans themselves and that Allaah does not need anything from us [by making matters halaal, haraam, makrooh etc]. . . if only humans knew.

If Appa's favorite verse is: "Which one of My Wonders do you deny", then mine is: "Indeed in that are signs, then do they not think?" [In other verses -- "do they not listen?", "do they not ponder?", "do they not see?"]

And that is how we strengthen on our faith.

Was-salaam.

abdul-aziz

making funeral prayers of the newly deceased, visiting the graves, and visiting the sick to start with.

Studying kitaab Allah in Arabic, read and listening to many tafsirs and ulema explain ayat Allah. A little at a time, or when a thought comes into mind about a particular portion.

Joining good muslims who are frequently doing good deeds.

and remembering and repeating this ayah:

ثُمَّ أَوْرَثْنَا الْكِتَابَ الَّذِينَ اصْطَفَيْنَا مِنْ عِبَادِنَا ۖ فَمِنْهُمْ ظَالِمٌ لِّنَفْسِهِ وَمِنْهُم مُّقْتَصِدٌ وَمِنْهُمْ سَابِقٌ بِالْخَيْرَاتِ بِإِذْنِ اللَّهِ ۚ ذَٰلِكَ هُوَ الْفَضْلُ الْكَبِيرُ [٣٥:٣٢]

[Hilali-Khan] Then We gave the Book the Qur'an) for inheritance to such of Our slaves whom We chose (the followers of Muhammad Sal-Allaahu 'alayhe Wa Sallam). Then of them are some who wrong their ownselves, and of them are some who follow a middle course, and of them are some who are, by Allah's Leave, foremost in good deeds. That (inheritance of the Qur'an), that is indeed a great grace. [35:32]

This ayah is a part of a subject which spans in surah Faatir (35) from - to (27-37). Which level would be the best?

beginning translation in video is not completely accurate; poster is using his understanding. However it is still ok since the recitation is in Arabic.

[yt]bML8lm-utr8[/yt]

wa Allah ya'lam

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
the fear of Him and of the grave torture strenghtens my faith and encourages me to behave in a better way.I know that many times I'ven't been the best in my daylife.some discussions led me far for a moment from my goal,but deep in my heart there is always the fixed thought that there is someOne Who sees me and protects me from evil.then,this fact makes me remember that Allah Is there whenever and wherever.sometimes I was near to surrender to my sadness and to my little trust in my future,then I thought how fortunate I am and that much of what I have,some one other doesn't do.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Assalamu allaicumu wa raahmatullah wa baarakatuhu

Mashallah dear brothers and sisters for all your answers. Inshallah that your answers and your beautiful feelings for Allah and our deen Islam be usefull for our brother and for all of us.

Jazzak Allah khair dear brother "ErshadAhamed" for sharing with us video of recitation of Surah ar Rahman. SubhanAllah, it is really beautiful recitation but as well is one of the most great Surah in Quran and one of the most dear to me. Alhadmulillah.

I feel that my eman is more strong when I remember Allah subhan wa teala and when I think about His beautiful creations, it is when I see even leaf falling I reember that it is with the will of Allah,and that faith of us Muslims is complete faith in our Rabb and that everything happens with His will.

I love to read, memoraise, and recite Quran and then I feel more close to Allah. Although I do not understand Arabic language, when I recitate Quran I feel like I understand it with my heart. Than I also love to read about our Prophet sallahu alayha wa saalam life, and life and struggle of his Sahabhas raddiAllahu anhum and their pure and strong faith in Allah.I feel like my eyes get full of tears when I read thier fight for Islam and how they have spend every single moment of their lifes fighting for Islam and that word of Allah and His Prophet sallahu alayha wa salama was always on the first place for them,SubhanAllah.

Alhmadulillah I aslo love to read stories of other Allahs Prophets, from which life we can learn a lot and try to have ahlaq and beautiful behaviour like they had. I love to read life of Prophet Ibrahim a.s whom Allah called as His friend because his faith in Allah subhan wa teala was so much strong that he was not afraid to take a life to his own son, as he knew and belived that Allah knows better for them both. And Prophet Eyub a.s spend so much years in ilness and suffer, but he still kept Sabur and patience and did not complained for destiny that Allah gaved him.SubhanAllah, all Prophets are example for us how are eman should be.

I pray to Allah that He makes us all His good Servants and guide us all the right path and protect us for not be ungratefull Servants. All thank and praise belong to Allah Only.

Subhanallahi we bihamdihiLa illahe illa ente estagfirukewe netubu ilejke.

Wa Allaicumu saalam wa raahmatullah wa baarakatuhu

Isra

aka Tree2008
I was born into a very pious muslim family. I was taught Qur'an and sunnah by my grandfather, mother and aunt. I had no problems in that. The mistake I did was that I took Islam too "lightly". I never missed a prayer or fasting. I never did anything haram. But, it was just out of fear of hellfire (which my mother used to intimidate with). But, I never did with love or passion for my religion.

As salamo alaikome

Dear brother I think you hit the nail right on the head when you posted the above. THIS is the difference between born Muslim and reverts. I didnt believe there was a difference until I moved to a Muslim country and saw for myself how the people practice (or dont practice their Islam).

Your post brought me to tears because what you speak is the truth. We should keep our born Muslim brothers and sisters in our prayers above all else. Let us pray for them to find the truth in what they were so lucky to have been given so easily! May Allah guide them Ameen. :tti_sister:

BTW that first video of the Surah you posted is just beautiful! Jazakallah khairan for posting it. I love the voice of the reciter.

wa salam

strive-may-i

Even though I have not missed a fast, prayer or taraveeh this ramadhan I realise that my faith isn't as strong as some of you guys and when I come across some threads on here I realise that masha'Allah you have no doubts in your mind. I would like to know what strengthens your belief in Allah, in Islam being the correct way towards God and Prophet Muhammad being the last messenger.

Please do not link me to another page, discuss here if possible.

But, may I know why not -'link to another page'?