Which is first?

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

As we gain knowledge we have to act upon it. Optional prayers give us the strenght to seek knowledge. One helps us to the other. There are times when the result of knowledge gained is so splendid that we fall into prayer.
Devote time to seeking knowledge. This would be the time you devote to serious study of Islam. Remember for each word we gain in knowledge we are rewarded. How strong do our prayers become.
Knowledge is wonderful to possess. But all the knowledge in the world leads to one action: salat.

a_stranger

:salam2:

I agree with sister Apa , knoweldge should make us work for Allah subhanahu wa ta aala. The most important part of Islam is prayers , knoweldge should make us pray with kushoo and humility. There should be a balance in our life between worship : ibada and seeking knoweldge. If all done with sincere heart then our whole life will be blessed with ibada. :salah:

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
Agree.

Now knowledge vs sunnah prayer (not fard prayer).

I give you a situation, you going to the mosque and the imam was giving an important lecture. Will you pray tahyatul masjid or you will just sit and listen to the lecture?

BADTASTEBEARS

Fear Allah
Agree.

Now knowledge vs sunnah prayer (not fard prayer).

I give you a situation, you going to the mosque and the imam was giving an important lecture. Will you pray tahyatul masjid or you will just sit and listen to the lecture?

Assalamualaikum

Thats a good point you brought up akhi.

In that situation I would suggest praying 2 rakaahs tahyatul masjid and then following with the lecture.

Reason being, because we've LEARNED that the Prophet SAW would pray 2 rakaahs before proceding on with other things. Whats the point if we have obtained a knowledge but did not follow it?

As for the lecture, we could ask those who are present for what we've missed out and carry on from there.. or asking them for notes after the lecture.

May Allah forgive me if Ive said it wrong.

Hatty

Seeking knowledge comes first.

We have to know how to perform obligatory acts of worship before performing them. The same goes for any action. We seek knowledge of how to perform this act in accordance with Quran and Sunnah...then we perform the act....

there is an Aya in the Quran but I could not find now....it starts like this - know it is Allah.....

It means we have to know who is Allah, His names, attributes in order to know how powerful Allah is....

This Aya shows that we should know who is Allah, before starting to worship Him...

Allah knows best...

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
seeking knowledge is obligatory so maybethat would come first but since there is no hadith or Ayat about which comes first, I'll leave it at that.

Exactly. I've seen many people busy performing sunnah prayers in the mosque (more than 2 rakah actually, so I guess it is not just tahyatul masjid but other sunnah prayers as well which done in 2 by 2 rakah) while the lecture is going on. As you walk in I think it is alright to perform 2 rakah of tahyatul masjid but should make it short then quickly join the lecture. As brother "Badtastebears" mentioned you can ask others for notes on those missed part of the lecture. But praying too many rakah of sunnah prayers thus missing most part of the lecture (which is obligatory in essence) is a great waste in my opinion.