Who to Trust???

RandyJackson

Salam! I hope this message reaches all in good health.

As many may know, I recently reverted to Islam. I use the internet as my sole source of gaining Islamic knowledge and specifically I like to listen and watch taped lectures by imams and scholars.

The problem is, however, how do I know that the person I am watching is not fabricating lies to divert me from what is truly Islamic? How do I know which source is authentic, and which to avoid?

So far, I'm watching and reading Dr. Zakir Naik, Imran N. Hosein, and Hamza Yusuf.

Should there be a red flag here? Can anyone tell me who to avoid??? Thank you in advance.

revert2007

Love Fishing

As many may know, I recently reverted to Islam. I use the internet as my sole source of gaining Islamic knowledge and specifically I like to listen and watch taped lectures by imams and scholars.

The problem is, however, how do I know that the person I am watching is not fabricating lies to divert me from what is truly Islamic? How do I know which source is authentic, and which to avoid?

So far, I'm watching and reading Dr. Zakir Naik, Imran N. Hosein, and Hamza Yusuf.

Should there be a red flag here? Can anyone tell me who to avoid??? Thank you in advance.

Assalamualikum.As a revert it is better to just stick to these two hadith since they are 100 percent authentic-Bukhari and Muslim

About those scholors,well I honestly do not listen to them eventhough am familiar with Dr.Zakir Naik and yes you can carry on listening to him but Allahu alam about the rest.First time to hear their name..I listen to Sheikh Ahmed Deedat(May Allah bless him),Yusuf Estes,Khalid Yassin.

Ahmed Deedat is the best for you to learn about comparative religion.The other two scholors gives advice in general and how to do dawah as well.

Salem9022

You have to first know what is Islam first. Islam is Submission to the will of Allah alone. The sources we follow Islam by is the Quran and the Sunnah. And we Understand these Sources in the Understanding of the Salaf As-Saleh (The Prophet, His companions, and those that followed them i.e. the first 3 Generations of the Muslims). If you understand that then it will make it alot eaiser for you to know who is on the Haqq and who is on Batil.

As for the people you mentioned. None of them are scholars of Islam. Especially Imraan Hussien and Hamza Yusuf. These 2 charachters are Extremist Sufies especially Imran Hussien who also is a Kharajee and advocates the killing of Muslim rulers. You should stay far away from them and their speeches and tapes. As far as Zakir Naik is concerned. He is not a scholar of Islam he does his own comparitive religion thing. But nonetheless he is not a scholar. The following sites could help you get used to knowing the scholars of Islams and people sit with them.

http://www.sunnahpublishing.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1&Itemid=22
http://mysite.verizon.net/resrtkwk/id9.html
http://www.salaf.com/

Salem9022

Also just a piece of Advise that I see alot of Muslims do unfortantely is that they are quick to call anybody who gives a lecture about Islam or on Muslims a Shaykh or a Scholar of Islam. I see Muslims even call Da'ee's a Scholar so much so that they are the only people they know who they claim knows the true message of Islam. subhan'Allah we have the Kabeer ul Ullemaa giving lectures for decades we have the greates Scholars of Islam from the past to the present, and those who are living alhumdulillah their lectures and books are now even being translated to english but yet how many Muslims take advantage of that? They rather learn about the Bible, Hindu gods, Prophet Muhammad in Buddah texts etc. subhan'Allah. We rather take our religion from Laymens then go to the Kabeer ul Ullemaa who are teaching the people the sunnah.

revert2007

Love Fishing
Also just a piece of Advise that I see alot of Muslims do unfortantely is that they are quick to call anybody who gives a lecture about Islam or on Muslims a Shaykh or a Scholar of Islam. I see Muslims even call Da'ee's a Scholar so much so that they are the only people they know who they claim knows the true message of Islam. subhan'Allah we have the Kabeer ul Ullemaa giving lectures for decades we have the greates Scholars of Islam from the past to the present, and those who are living alhumdulillah their lectures and books are now even being translated to english but yet how many Muslims take advantage of that? They rather learn about the Bible, Hindu gods, Prophet Muhammad in Buddah texts etc. subhan'Allah. We rather take our religion from Laymens then go to the Kabeer ul Ullemaa who are teaching the people the sunnah.

I do agree with you.The problem is that we reverts do not know who are scholors and who are not.We just believe that they are scholars because others call them scholars.What is the difference between sheikh and scholars?

FreedomFighter

:wasalam:

regarding hadith, even those of Bukhari's, some say that they contradict the Qur'an or they dont make sense. astaghfirullah. i can give some examples of hadiths from Bukhari that even some Muslims believe do not make sense.

revert2007

Love Fishing
Sister, I get a "reported attack site" when I click on those two links. I've seen that happen before where legitimate sites are hacked and malware placed on them and now they infect others. If you have the contact info of the webmasters of those two sites, you may want to alert them to this situation so they can remove the malware from their servers.

well am not sure but i will try to tell them.jazakaAllahu khairan.
anyway i will uplaod here directly

Attachments

• hadith.zip
    9 MB · Views: 10

miq1

Praise be to Allah (The Glorified and Exalted).

Wa Alaykum Asalaam,

Your question is a very good one. I specifically recommend the scholars and material I mention below:

1) The following lectures by Yasir Qadhi are very good, I recommend watching "Why Worship God" first; (I do not know about the rest of the site):
http://www.tubeislam.com/search/?search_id=yasir+qadhi&search_type=search_videos&submit=+

2) The lectures on the following website are also good quality:
http://www.youtube.com/user/khalifahklothing?blend=1&ob=4

3) The following show has good guests, including: Yasir Qadhi and Nouman Ali Khan. I recommend those two guests for your first watch:
http://thedeenshow.com/show.php

Someone without a deep understanding of Islam will not benefit greatly from reading hadith, because without proper guidance, the person may form incorrect beliefs or ideas concerning Islamic theology, laws, etc. I do not recommend just reading hadith from the books of Bukhari or Muslim, rather a Believer must also understand the context and how it fits into the religion or the result will be what exists today, of some people not accepting the hadith as part of Islam or saying "it doesn't make sense." This is due to their lack of knowledge.

And Allah (The Glorified and Exalted) Knows Best.

FreedomFighter

^i will post a few hadiths that are considered not to make sense. i think we should at least be knowledgeable about this, because sooner or later we'll have non Muslims, and even Muslims who will point out this to us just to put some negative into the religion, this could lead to a bad result.

More likely they are misunderstood. Please post the hadeeths in question.

i believe Bukhari hadith to be sahih as i know he went through a lot to collect only the authentic hadiths, while making sure they dont contradict the Qur'an. yes maybe they misunderstood the hadith, or the meaning of the hadith has not become clear yet. Allahu a'lam.

“If a fly falls into the vessel of any of you, let him dip all of it (in the vessel) and then throw it away [and use the material in the vessel], for in one of its wings there is a disease and in the other there is a healing [Bukhari, Hadith 673, pg. 452, vol 7]

Al Quran describes accurately, the shape of the earth as being rounded (Quran 39:5), and the cause of night and day as being the rotation of the earth. The Hadith and similar writings however contain mythological concepts, which are then by hook or by crook attributed to the prophet. The most famous commentary of Al Quran, that by Ibn Kathir (2/29 and 50/1) makes extensive use of the Hadith as explaining Al Quran. In that spirit, Ibn Kathir suggests that the earth is “carried on a giant bull.” When the bull shakes its head, an earthquake results.

According to Bukhari 56/152 and Hanbel 3/107, 163; the prophet recommended that people drink camel urine to recuperate after an illness Later on when the same people killed the prophet’s shepherd, he commanded that they be seized, their eyes taken out and their hands and feet cut and left them thirsty in the desert. This does not fit in with the personality of the prophet presented in Al Quran. Al Quran says that the prophet was compassionate. How could the prophet recommend the drinking of camel’s urine, considering the importance that the Koran gives to hygiene?

"One part of me is eating the other part." That is how you see the change of seasons (Bukhari, Beginning of Creation 2:231).

miq1

Praise be to Allah (The Glorified and Exalted).

FreedomFighter

“If a fly falls into the vessel of any of you, let him dip all of it (in the vessel) and then throw it away [and use the material in the vessel], for in one of its wings there is a disease and in the other there is a healing [Bukhari, Hadith 673, pg. 452, vol 7]

This is something known to the knowledge of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him). It is said that this statement was proven true in modern times. There are articles written on it.

Al Quran describes accurately, the shape of the earth as being rounded (Quran 39:5), and the cause of night and day as being the rotation of the earth. The Hadith and similar writings however contain mythological concepts, which are then by hook or by crook attributed to the prophet. The most famous commentary of Al Quran, that by Ibn Kathir (2/29 and 50/1) makes extensive use of the Hadith as explaining Al Quran. In that spirit, Ibn Kathir suggests that the earth is “carried on a giant bull.” When the bull shakes its head, an earthquake results.

This misguided individual makes statements such as "hadith contain mythological concepts," but is not able to quote a single hadith from either the books of Bukhari or Muslim. Instead he speaks about the opinion of Ibn Kathir (may Allah have mercy on him). I have not read this opinion of Ibn Kathir. If he had stated such a thing about the earth, one must know that this is not found in any hadith. However, Ibn Kathir, living at the time he did, with their limited knowledge, may have thought as such. Many humans around the world during the time of Ibn Kathir believed in these types of things, such as mermaids. One must realize that if an individual speculates or conjectures anything that does not contradict anything directly stated in the Qur'an and authenic hadith, then they are not blameworthy as long as they have mentioned that it is their opinion. -Aside- In his commentary on the Qur'an, Ibn Kathir also takes excerpts from the stories of the Children of Israel. This is done to fulfill the curiosity of the reader. In our religion, if an account from the records of the Children of Israel do not contradict our religion, then it may or may not be true.

According to Bukhari 56/152 and Hanbel 3/107, 163; the prophet recommended that people drink camel urine to recuperate after an illness Later on when the same people killed the prophet’s shepherd, he commanded that they be seized, their eyes taken out and their hands and feet cut and left them thirsty in the desert. This does not fit in with the personality of the prophet presented in Al Quran. Al Quran says that the prophet was compassionate. How could the prophet recommend the drinking of camel’s urine, considering the importance that the Koran gives to hygiene?

As for drinking camel urine is concerned, this was done by the people in the past in accordance to the medical knowledge they possessed. Urine is simply compounds from within the body of the animal, mixed with water, this does not concern hygiene. The misguided individual takes offense to it, because of his own opinion. In modern times, some compounds such as "estrogen" and others are removed from the urine of animals and added to medicine, such as estrogen therapy for women or Tylenol.

As for punishing these people is considered. They were new converts to Islam and had become ill. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) sent them to an old man that worked for him. The old man took care of the men, until they became healthy. These devils then became apostates from Islam and tortured the old man by gouging his eyes with an iron rod and then killed him. Now, what if this happened to your old father or grandfather, or children? Would you stand around and babble about "compassion" or demand JUSTICE? The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) simply carried out the Law of Allah (The Glorified and Exalted). It is mentioned in the Qur'an: "The recompense of those who wage war against Allah and His Messenger and do mischief in the land is only that they shall be killed or crucified or their hands and their feet be cut off from opposite sides, or be exiled from the land. That is their disgrace in this world, and a great torment is theirs in the Hereafter." [5:33] Their eyes were gouged because of the following ruling by Allah: "and We ordained therein for them: "Life for life, eye for eye, nose for nose, ear for ear, tooth for tooth, and wounds equal for equal..."" [5:45]. If the misguided author had more knowledge of the Qur'an he would have been able to figure that out! Shows his lack of knowledge about Islam. They received the punishment of the Lord for their evil. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) was compassionate, but also the authority. Rapists and murderers were also given executions by the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him). He was not a one dimensional character, nor is any other human, to always be nice at all situations. But rather he was strict and carried out the law when necessary, especially toward evildoers. If he did not have punishments carried out, then how could peace prevail and justice for the victims be carried out in the land? Punishments such as executions, also by stoning to death, were carried out by every Prophet that led his nation, including Musa (Moses), Solomon, and Dawud (David) (peace be upon them).

-Aside- Now, if some misguided christian tries to use this type of account against the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him). These people are very tricky minded. Remind them of the bible story in which the prophet Dawud (David) (peace be upon him) is accused of having a general in his army killed during a war because he had a crush on the man's wife. The prophet David is then said to have gone to the general's home and raped his wife. She is then executed because she reminded the prophet David of his misconduct toward her family. Now, what kind of compassion is that? Remind them also of the story of Prophet Lot (peace be upon him). In which the bible accuses him of incest with his daughters! Now, what kind of father and morality is that? Their bible also speaks about killing men, women, children, and babies during war: "This is what the Lord Almighty says: "I have decided to settle accounts with the nation of Amalek for opposing Israel when they came from Egypt. Now go and completely destroy the entire Amalekite nation--men, women, children, babies, cattle, sheep, camels, and donkeys." [bible book 1 samuel 15:2-3]. Now, what kind of compassion is that?

These people who are against such punishments, but profess to believe in Allah (God), are confused. They do not understand the contradiction in their way of thinking. They believe in Hell, in which a person is burned alive and tortured for eternity, but resist these lesser worldly punishments. What is worse, to be in Hell for eternity or receive a single worldly punishment that ends?

"One part of me is eating the other part." That is how you see the change of seasons (Bukhari, Beginning of Creation 2:231).

This is incoherent babble by the misguided author. Let him provide more detail and context.

And Allah (The Glorified and Exalted) Knows Best.

RandyJackson

Thank you all! This has helped me.

Brother Salem9022, I don't mind if those people you mentioned are extremists. They can exaggerate the truth if they like, but as long as its not some fabricated lie. Because in the end, I have the free will to change the tone (not the meaning) of the message.

FreedomFighter

jazakAllah khayran sister a_stranger and brother miq1

i came across some Muslims saying the hadiths dont make sense. some of them are probably Quranites, anti-hadiths. people may also take hadiths out of context. just because some hadiths dont make sense, does not mean they are not authentic, its us who have not understood the hadith.

is there any website which contains Bukhari's hadith, and an explanation for at least most of the hadiths? so that when people bring up a hadith, we can be sure if its really from Bukhari and we'll also have an explanation about it.

jazakAllah khayran sister a_stranger and brother miq1

i came across some Muslims saying the hadiths dont make sense. some of them are probably Quranites, anti-hadiths. people may also take hadiths out of context. just because some hadiths dont make sense, does not mean they are not authentic, its us who have not understood the hadith.

is there any website which contains Bukhari's hadith, and an explanation for at least most of the hadiths? so that when people bring up a hadith, we can be sure if its really from Bukhari and we'll also have an explanation about it.

not a 100% credible as translators are unknown. but give this a try, in the hadith that i looked up they have been acceptable.

http://www.usc.edu/schools/college/crcc/engagement/resources/texts/muslim/search.html

even better get ALIM software.

Summer03

3doTs2sQuares
Asalamu alikum,

mashallah, such an interesting thread. One of the few that I've managed to really like!

Keep the info flowing!

Jazakumullahi khair.

DanyalSAC

Or one could simply forgo all the hadith "websites" out there and simply buy the books. They're available all over the internet and if come from a reputable publisher (my Sahih al-Bukhari come from Dar AHYA Us-Sunnah) are quite beneficial.

Also bear in mind that not all of Bukhari's publications are "sahih" (authentic). He also published several books of ahadith he couldn't verify - and he stated that in the books. (I forgot what they're called though...)

famous scholers

:salam2:bro

welcome to islam, :ma: may Allah bless you in this owrld nad the hereafter,
i would suggest you to see the lectures of
Dr.Zakir naik www.irf.net most best
Dr.Bilal Philips,http://www.bilalphilips.com/
Sheikh yusuf estes www.islamtomorrow.com
Yasir Fazaga
Saleem Al Amry
Abdurraheem Green
Dr. Jamal Badawi
Abdul Hakim Quick
Yasir Qadhi
Assim Al Hakeem
Ahmed Saifuddin
Dr. Mamdouh Mohamed
Siraj Wahaj

I have uploaded some videos for revert muslims about some basic islamic practices iplease click on the link below so that u can watch them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xorPAL32F48

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfVR9GvQC3k

:wasalam: