Why 2nd wife?

umm hussain

Dear Seeker of the Second Wife

Verily all praises is for Allah, we praise Him and seek His aid and ask for His forgiveness, and we seek refuge with Allah from the evils of ourselves and our evil actions. Whom Allah chooses to guide, none that can mislead him and whom He chooses mislead, none that can guide him. And I bear witness that none has the right to be worship except Allah Alone, having no partners, and I bear witness that Muhammad (sallallaahu ‘ alayhi ‘wa sallam (peace and blessings upon him) (saw)) is His slave and His Messenger.

Dear seeker of the second wife,
Assalamu Alikum Warahmatullah Wabarakatuh,

I am writing this article in response to several postings and email regarding the issue of second wife, or third or even the fourth wife;

Having traveled in twenty-six cities over the past two months just across the UK, would you believe that the issue of second wife was raised at least several times in each of my visit per city (either as a joke or serious question). So my question is that, the brothers that are asking this question, are they really seeking or considering a second wife... or is it to merely to feed a fantasy or curiosity? Because if the Brothers were serious, then how many do you or I know whom have a second wife? Well, they are a rare breed.

My point is this, of course this is a sunnah of the Prophet (saw), and encouraged in Islam, as the Hadith that, the one who has a wife is better than the one that has none, and the one that has two is better than the one that has one, and so on until the fourth. This is an abandoned sunnah which I think needs to be revived. In the western culture, polygamy is a taboo that is frowned upon yet promiscuity and having illicit and illegal affairs are symbols of prosperity, freedom and liberation. This Sunnah is a solution not for the faint hearted but one for a big heart. This is a solution to the civil derogation and social dysfunctions facing us today.

Few awakening facts;

1. The US Census Bureau published that there are more than 10 million single mothers, and further more 80% of them had children bellow the age of 18.
2. Nearly 700,000 women lose their husbands each year and will be widows for an average of 14 years"
3. 16% of all Women are disabled.
4. Disabled girls are twenty times less likely to be married.
5. More than 12 million orphans come to the age of marriage per year across the globe.
6. The armed conflicts of the past decade have created more than 30 million (1989 numbers) refugees and displaced persons and the vast majority of these, approximately 80%, are women and children.

So I ask the question, how many brothers are willing to take a wife who is a widow, single mother, disabled or an aged orphan. Now this question to oneself should really distinguish for you, between wanting to discover an abandoned Sunnah, and just fueling their curiosity by playing with the fantasy of a Turkish Harem.

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum Sister,

Just curious; Who wrote this piece?

Dear Seeker of the Second Wife

Verily all praises is for Allah, we praise Him and seek His aid and ask for His forgiveness, and we seek refuge with Allah from the evils of ourselves and our evil actions. Whom Allah chooses to guide, none that can mislead him and whom He chooses mislead, none that can guide him. And I bear witness that none has the right to be worship except Allah Alone, having no partners, and I bear witness that Muhammad (sallallaahu ‘ alayhi ‘wa sallam (peace and blessings upon him) (saw)) is His slave and His Messenger.

Dear seeker of the second wife,
Assalamu Alikum Warahmatullah Wabarakatuh,

I am writing this article in response to several postings and email regarding the issue of second wife, or third or even the fourth wife;

Having traveled in twenty-six cities over the past two months just across the UK, would you believe that the issue of second wife was raised at least several times in each of my visit per city (either as a joke or serious question). So my question is that, the brothers that are asking this question, are they really seeking or considering a second wife... or is it to merely to feed a fantasy or curiosity? Because if the Brothers were serious, then how many do you or I know whom have a second wife? Well, they are a rare breed.

My point is this, of course this is a sunnah of the Prophet (saw), and encouraged in Islam, as the Hadith that, the one who has a wife is better than the one that has none, and the one that has two is better than the one that has one, and so on until the fourth. This is an abandoned sunnah which I think needs to be revived. In the western culture, polygamy is a taboo that is frowned upon yet promiscuity and having illicit and illegal affairs are symbols of prosperity, freedom and liberation. This Sunnah is a solution not for the faint hearted but one for a big heart. This is a solution to the civil derogation and social dysfunctions facing us today.

Few awakening facts;

1. The US Census Bureau published that there are more than 10 million single mothers, and further more 80% of them had children bellow the age of 18.
2. Nearly 700,000 women lose their husbands each year and will be widows for an average of 14 years"
3. 16% of all Women are disabled.
4. Disabled girls are twenty times less likely to be married.
5. More than 12 million orphans come to the age of marriage per year across the globe.
6. The armed conflicts of the past decade have created more than 30 million (1989 numbers) refugees and displaced persons and the vast majority of these, approximately 80%, are women and children.

So I ask the question, how many brothers are willing to take a wife who is a widow, single mother, disabled or an aged orphan. Now this question to oneself should really distinguish for you, between wanting to discover an abandoned Sunnah, and just fueling their curiosity by playing with the fantasy of a Turkish Harem.

American Muslim

Just Another Slave
This is not something that I have really considered for a few reasons. First, I make a very good living, but I am far from wealthy. I could probably support two households, but it would be a reeeeaaaaallll stretch. Secondly, polygamy is illegal here in the US. It is possible that this will not be the case here forever inshallah. But the problem is connected to a whole bunch of legal questions concerning what is a marriage. Homosexual marriage seems to be the legal precursor to polygamous marriage in this country. If that is the case, I am not certain that I want to see multiple wives.

If this precursor does not happen and polygamy is made legal here, inshallah, I would consider it. But not without the acceptance of the first wife. Even in seperate households, there will always be situations where the wives must spend time together. I would not want one wife to be the cause of unhappiness for the other.

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum Brother,

Polygamy is practised frequently in US by many brothers (more so then Europe) but the way to get around it legally is the same in US as in Europe.

1) Your first wife is legally married (Civil)
2) 2nd wife is Islamically married i.e. Nikah is done in the Masjid but no civil endorsement

In case of divorce (Allah forbid) the 2nd wife is entitlement to share in property etc. (after six months of cohabitation in most states) so the women don't really lose anything!

I also make a good living Alhumdo-lillah but won't consider polygamy because it just not something I can hack, I am not mentally strong enough!

P.S: Muslims are thinking of approaching EU to permit polygamy!

This is not something that I have really considered for a few reasons. First, I make a very good living, but I am far from wealthy. I could probably support two households, but it would be a reeeeaaaaallll stretch. Secondly, polygamy is illegal here in the US. It is possible that this will not be the case here forever inshallah. But the problem is connected to a whole bunch of legal questions concerning what is a marriage. Homosexual marriage seems to be the legal precursor to polygamous marriage in this country. If that is the case, I am not certain that I want to see multiple wives.

If this precursor does not happen and polygamy is made legal here, inshallah, I would consider it. But not without the acceptance of the first wife. Even in seperate households, there will always be situations where the wives must spend time together. I would not want one wife to be the cause of unhappiness for the other.

American Muslim

Just Another Slave
Asslamo Allaikum Brother,

I also make a good living Alhumdo-lillah but won't consider polygamy because it just not something I can hack, I am not mentally strong enough!

lol, yeah there is that too. I know a brother with multiple wives here and it does sort of seem the case that the first wife "convinced" the husband to marry again. I'm not saying she coerced him. It just seems as if the idea started with her and after a while the brother felt he had come up with it!

What man is really the master of his own home anyway?

Globalpeace

Banned
W-Salam,

Yep in US; it seems to be the wife has convinved the husband...When I said it last week; Sisters here in Europe were surprised but it is generally the case in US that the wife initiates it!

lol, yeah there is that too. I know a brother with multiple wives here and it does sort of seem the case that the first wife "convinced" the husband to marry again. I'm not saying she coerced him. It just seems as if the idea started with her and after a while the brother felt he had come up with it!

What man is really the master of his own home anyway?

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum,

This is a tough subject; my heart agrees with the Sister's post but my mind doesn't.

Astaghfirullah! I am not saying that I am denying polygamy or anything

I mean if I were to go out & get a 2nd wife for helping someone else; what happens to the 1st one & the kids?

Tough, Tough, Really Tough!

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Asalamu Alykum,

Well it would be difficult because how would you divide the time to see each wife. And i think it would be big responsbility, and then the kids. I think its better with one wife because at least you will be giving your heart to her, not cutting it into 2 or 3 pieces. I dont if that made sense, but apologies if it didnt.

Wasalam

Asalamu Alykum,

Well it would be difficult because how would you divide the time to see each wife. And i think it would be big responsbility, and then the kids. I think its better with one wife because at least you will be giving your heart to her, not cutting it into 2 or 3 pieces. I dont if that made sense, but apologies if it didnt.

Wasalam

Salaamalikum,

Hey I gotta alot of love to give LOL

Globalpeace

Banned
W-Salam Ditta,

Have a big heart, Mate.

Asalamu Alykum,

Wasalam

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Asalamu Alykum,

I see what your saying, but i would not want one getting unhappy because of something, but i guess that would be impossible too avoid. Plus i think it would be difficult to find another spouse, just when thinking about it. You've made me think whether i have a big heart or not.

Wasalam

W-Salam Ditta,

Have a big heart, Mate.

Abu Hannah

Slave of Allah
1 or 2 or 3 or 4 !

:salam2:

It is always a great thing to revive a Sunnah of our beloved Propher SAL, however, I think that in reality there are a VERY FEW women out there who would agree to this practice.

Even in the Arab World, we see this Sunnah slowly disappearing.

Secondly, the intention on the part of the husband has to be genuine, and this may also be a rare perspective.

Then there is also the aspect of finance, and dividing your time among spouses. This would entail delicate balancing. It isn't impossible, but is quite challenging.

:wasalam:

misalat

this is a great subject to discuss and to educate other brothers/ sister who may be ignorant about it.
there are many reason why one should get a second wife, some of them already mentioned at the beginning by the sister.
reviving sunah i should say is most important to my understanding..... i feel it sounds that most of our minds are already changed accoring to the current propaganda of the non-muslims ... they always try and make their points based on their misunderstanding on the women issue all the time.
May Allah guide us to the right path. Ameen!

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Asalamu Alykum,

That was an interesting read and has changed my mind slightly. If i could help a sister who was a widow and needed someone i would or any other reason. It seems a little scary as it could cause disputes etc, but if we follow the sunnah, issues will not arise. It does seem a little unfair for the wife to get all the cake when she could share it. Like if the wife says its okay for the hubby to marry someone else, who said sexual relations would be involved, it could just be providing financial support and providing love. Or would that be unrealistic?

Inshallah i understood, but i have bookmarked so i will give it read it again.

Wasalam

justoneofmillion

assalam brother i have just read the debate it was intresting but then i went down to some comments omg there was one girl who acctualy said quote"yeah but today women are more sexualy liberated than in the time of the prophet"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and just for that i wasn`t planning it but am gonna take four wifes not two inschallah i mean where did she learn that language from ? you don not see any difference between a sister and a kaffira speaking when you hear such garbage seriously!!! i`de rather get out of these female stuff because it makes my blood boil!i would love to see sisters talking about other stuff than marriage , polygamy,hijab may be about history, science,philosophy politics female deedats doing dawah and debating women from other faiths why not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!they reduce themselves so much and get stuck in the trape that the western propaganda machinery want them to get stuck in just like they do with their women jailing them like monkey zoos naked behind the tv screens to sale beer chocolat or even a shampoos!

wassalam

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member

i would love to see sisters talking about other stuff than marriage , polygamy,hijab
they do!!!:girl3: man i hate that stuff! and loads of sisters agree with me!
may be about history, science,philosophy politics female deedats doing dawah and debating women from other faiths why not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
yeah why not? why dont u ask all the islamic universities that dont allow women in? aswell as that, ask those that do allow women in that have less than half the faculties for women than they do for men.

its real bad that islam is not accessable to the sisters in the same way as it is to brothers its a problem, i seriously believe that many brothers have this crazy idea that they have mental supremacy over the faith than sisters do or assume sisters are just too stupid to learn the deen at the same level, take al-azhar for example; 6 different faculties for theology for bothers but not a single one for the sisters.

seriously brother, the Quran can be applied for all times cant it? the verses of the Quran are just as valid as they were 1400+ years ago as they are now, so this ayah:

And when the female infant buried alive is questioned, for what crime she was killed?
- Al Qur'an 81:8-9​

i see it different, there are more than one way of 'burying' sisters alive nowadays and sadly it is done intellectually, i reckon that the brothers are afraid of sisters being better than them in religious studies and stuff, but the facts speak for themselves, one of the greatest scholars of islam was Aisha (ra) and she never, not once mistakenly related a hadith and there were numerous men from the Sahaba who did.

their women jailing them like monkey zoos naked behind the tv screens to sale beer chocolat or even a shampoos!

yeah its sick, but its sick at both extremes of the spectrum, theres exploitation like uve described ^ and thats one extreme i agree, but there is another extreme wich comes from applying islam 50% and then improvising the rest in order to maintain this man made psychological hegemony over the faith.

sorry off topic. i dont know bout polygamy, but i think the sunnah doesnt just stop at taking the second wife, the sunnah is also in how shes treated and if u cant implement the full sunnah, then dont attempt at half or a third of it cos otherwise its distorted islam which...is not islam! lol i dont know :D

wassalam

visionusman

being content
I think one wife's hard enough. Women are tough man. Besides I seem to have this effect on women; they don't get to like me much. Would hate to see more than one woman disliking me that much. I think I'll stick to one wife, .. if I'm lucky.

Izzu

nice dabate....
well honestly it took me 32 years to find my other half and and keeping her happy is my major goal now. i dont deny sunnah but i do know that it is sometimes very difficult to do justice even with my one rafeeqi hayat.....and hence the rule that if you cant do justice among them then marry only one perfectly applies to me.
may He swt help us Aamin.
:wasalam: