Women don't touch/read torah in Jewish traditions?

BigAk

Just read the following:

"Because women don't touch or read the Torah in the most traditional Orthodox Jewish settings, they also are forbidden from touching or reading the Torah at the Western Wall."

I find this very strange. I wonder if shyhijabi can shed some light on this tradition!!! Am I missing something??

Here's where I got it from:

American Jews hold Torah to protest woman's arrest

ShyHijabi

:salam2:

I am perplexed, because I was not forbidden to touch the Torah. As a matter of fact I had to attend classes where we studied and learned about the different people of the Torah. Maybe it was an issue about the wailing wall? I don't think women are allowed there (although I am not 100% sure to be honest) as it is specifically a male duty to pray at the temple. Kind of like how men are required to lead prayer in Islam, each gender has it's assigned obligations.

I feel there is much more to this story than what the press is reporting. Not exactly surprised by that as they do the same thing to Muslims.

Now no one is supposed to touch the actual words in the Torha with their bare fingers. There is a little pointer (Yad) for that as they believe the Torah is utterly holy and should not be touched with hands that can cause smudges or damage.

BigAk

Yea... I'm really surprised by the article which I am assuming to be written by a Jewish reporter.

So you're saying the reporter has goofed on this part of data?? (I wouldn't be surprised)

Now no one is supposed to touch the actual words in the Torha with their bare fingers. There is a little pointer (Yad) for that as they believe the Torah is utterly holy and should not be touched with hands that can cause smudges or damage.

Wow.. This fact is interesting. Now my question is what is the difference between the Torah we're discussing here and the old testament that exists in the Christian bible?? My impression is that they are the same??? Please educate me... Thank you.

ShyHijabi

Most Jews in America are secular Jews and don't even know bare minimum of halacha. (jurisprudence...kind of like fiqh) I knew a Jew in school who didn't even know the main prophets of the Torah...she literally had no clue.

The Torah is the first five books of what the Christians refer to as the "old testament." After that the old testament is actually a compilation of what is refered to as the Tanakh which is the Torah, the Prophets and the Writings. Also, the old testament is written in English and loses a lot of the meanings in the translations. The two are not really comparative when it comes to understanding the meaning.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I am reading a very interesting book on Jewish history. It is written by a prominent Jewish scholar. The book was endorsed by the likes of Edward Said.
The book is mindboggling in regards to the Jewish traditions throughout the ages.
I do not wish to start another cyberwar but will be glad to give you title if you wish to PM me.
It is an eyeopener.

ShyHijabi

Assalaam walaikum,

I am reading a very interesting book on Jewish history. It is written by a prominent Jewish scholar. The book was endorsed by the likes of Edward Said.
The book is mindboggling in regards to the Jewish traditions throughout the ages.
I do not wish to start another cyberwar but will be glad to give you title if you wish to PM me.
It is an eyeopener.

Can you post the name of the Jewish scholar? Careful at what some people call a scholar, sometimes they are just self inflated ego-ists.

JenGiove

Sister Shy,

My question is this, how is the Torah printed? By hand? and by whom? I think I remember learniong a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time ago that each one was hand made.

ShyHijabi

Brother Ayman,
I think everyone knows that the Torah we are referring to is the one used by the modern day Jews. It is still called the Torah even though it's been altered and corrupted.

JenGiove,
I've seen both printed Torahs and hand written ones. The hand written ones are very expensive as they require a lot of time to be done as well as stringent requirements for "clearance" by a comittee to ensure consistency.

Sister Aapa,
Thank you for the info, I've never heard of this scholar and will do a bit of research on him. Just be careful about who says what. I've read so many misconceptions about what Jews beleve and don't beleive, about what is mainstream practice versus cult behavior that I take everything with a grain of salt. You've seen how many times I've had to refute people claiming what Jews practice because they found some sort of propaganda on the web. (someone tried to tell me once that Jews eat babies, that they drink blood, and that they deflower their own daughters....all using youtube videos of old talk shows and anti semetic websites produced by white supremists)

I am not loyal to Jews because of my background but I do feel the only effective way to do dawa to Jews is by understanding the difference between what they truly practice and believe vs. what is posted online. It's hard to take anyone seriously when they lack a fundamental understanding of your beliefs and try to use propaganda to convince you that your system of belief is flawed. It just makes us look ignorant and superstitious.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

This man did not do any disservice to anyone. He was a scholar recognized in fields other than theology. He was recognized world wide. If Edward Said and Gore Vidal recommend he be read that is sufficient. He was an Israel citizen.

JenGiove

JenGiove,
I've seen both printed Torahs and hand written ones. The hand written ones are very expensive as they require a lot of time to be done as well as stringent requirements for "clearance" by a comittee to ensure consistency.

Thank you for the information....I bet the finished works is beautiful to see...

I've read so many misconceptions about what Jews believe and don't believe, about what is mainstream practice versus cult behavior that I take everything with a grain of salt. You've seen how many times I've had to refute people claiming what Jews practice because they found some sort of propaganda on the web. (someone tried to tell me once that Jews eat babies, that they drink blood, and that they deflower their own daughters....all using youtube videos of old talk shows and anti-semetic websites produced by white supremacists)

wow...ya learn summin' new everyday...eat babies huh? Those must be the ones who live in the south where I live and have "Kid sale 9/11" posted on the sign at the local fairgrounds... :p <Reference: http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72725>

...by understanding the difference between what they truly practice and believe vs. what is posted online. It's hard to take anyone seriously when they lack a fundamental understanding of your beliefs and try to use propaganda to convince you that your system of belief is flawed. It just makes us look ignorant and superstitious.

hmmmmmmmm.....now where have I heard this before, lemme think..... :)

Sister Shy...you are such a lovely person. :)

BigAk

Brother Ayman,
I think everyone knows that the Torah we are referring to is the one used by the modern day Jews. It is still called the Torah even though it's been altered and corrupted.

JenGiove,

Sister Aapa,
Thank you for the info, I've never heard of this scholar and will do a bit of research on him. Just be careful about who says what. I've read so many misconceptions about what Jews beleve and don't beleive, about what is mainstream practice versus cult behavior that I take everything with a grain of salt. You've seen how many times I've had to refute people claiming what Jews practice because they found some sort of propaganda on the web. (someone tried to tell me once that Jews eat babies, that they drink blood, and that they deflower their own daughters....all using youtube videos of old talk shows and anti semetic websites produced by white supremists)

I am not loyal to Jews because of my background but I do feel the only effective way to do dawa to Jews is by understanding the difference between what they truly practice and believe vs. what is posted online. It's hard to take anyone seriously when they lack a fundamental understanding of your beliefs and try to use propaganda to convince you that your system of belief is flawed. It just makes us look ignorant and superstitious.

For this reason I come here to ask you sister.... Thank Allah for having you on here to answer our inquiries. We appreciate you very much.

ShyHijabi

Salaam,

This man did not do any disservice to anyone. He was a scholar recognized in fields other than theology. He was recognized world wide. If Edward Said and Gore Vidal recommend he be read that is sufficient. He was an Israel citizen.

I've been reading up on this fellow and it seems he is a very learned man. I am especially impressed that he calls out Israel for it's crimes against humanity when dealing with the Palestinians. I really like the fact that he knows Hebrew and can really get into the skin of what Talmudic jurisprudence states. If anyone is equiped to expose the distortions and deceit of the rabinical councils.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

When a person is blessed with brilliance they are so simple to read. He has a compassionate soul.
I keep arguing with many we need to celebrate the creation of Allah as creation comes in all sorts.

There are many in Israel who are compassionate. Just as there are many in the US who are good. etc. etc.etc.

It would be good for many Muslilms to expand their knowledge and appreciate Allah's world.