working with non muslims

UmmIsaiah

Bismillah
Assalamu alaikum
I appologize if this has been posted before and I have not yet seen, I also appologize if I do not conve my question well. May Allah help me and bless all those who advise for His pleasure.
The situation is this...I work with non muslims and recently I have begun trying to become more firm in my practice and I find myself at work not just annoyyed but disgusted what can I do to find more of a sense of peace while at work? I try to listen to differnt things, such as lectures, on my mp3 player though it is hard because I am not supposed to have it on while working. I do not want to quit just to take another job around non muslims. The only job in my location that I am aware of that would allow me to work around muslims is at the Islamic school and insha'Allah I will be applying for the next school year as this one will be over in a few months.

MohammedMaksudul

May Allah Forgive us
:salam2:

If it is not necessary to go and earn for yourself then I think it is better that you do not go for a job until you find an Islamic one, like in the Islamic School you mentioned. But if you are in dire need of a job then find a place where they will let you practice Islam freely, not forcing you to take-off hijab/niqab, etc and definitely not in an environment where you have to be around many men and there are lot of interactions. I was talking about working women with my sheikh and he told me that if there are dire needs a women can work, but then to she has to work in a place where there are minimal interaction with men. And Allah knows best.

alf2

Islam is a way of life
What is your job? And what is causing such a fitnah in your life there?

I work with non-Muslims in a store and its not so bad. Because we dont play music in it and there are only 2 men there.

UmmIsaiah

Thank you for your responce

I work in a store as well and there are many men but alhamdulillah I am able to work in an area that is either mostly with women or I am alone. They do not play music in the store as I work after it is closed and I am allowed to cover my hair. There are many things that cause fitnah the gossip the sexual harassment the constent bickering but these things I try to not hear by staying away from others conversations when ever I can be alone. Because even though I do not join in on their conversations I find many times just hearing them talk bothers me.
The major thing that causes me issue is the fact that I do not like to be in that enviroment around so many non muslims for so long periods of time it makes me feel unease. I must work I have children and am the only provider believe me if I did not have to work I would be a stay at home mother insha'Allah.
I am just wondering if there is some ibadah that I can do to help me with my tolerance level while interacting with non muslims for exteded periods of time.

Aroosak

:wasalam:

You situation reminds me of a story I heard once during a lecture. It was about a famous scholar who was living for many years in a muslim country and decided to come to America. A student once asked the Sheikh that he must feel bad coming from a Muslim country to America a place that is filled with so much haraam and fitnah. The scholar looked at the student with a puzzled face. He told him "why should I feel bad when I get hasanat every time I see something haraam and hate it with my heart"

Sometimes we are put in position which we don't like or understand. However it could be that Allah is putting us in this position to test our emaan or to make us closer to him. I honestly think that the economic situation is so bad nowadays is really risky to leave your job.

If the situation is really unbearable I would recommend you to pray istikhara and make a lot of dua for Allah to guide you. InshAllah things get better and May Allah give you Sabr and increase your thirst of knowledge.

PARVEZ SHAHIDI

:wasalam:

If the situation is really unbearable I would recommend you to pray istikhara and make a lot of dua for Allah to guide you. InshAllah things get better and May Allah give you Sabr and increase your thirst of knowledge.

Sister, only Allah Suhanuwata'ala can help you.
Establish salah, and then raise your hand, ask help of Allah Az-zawazal and see the change Insha-Allah.

ayesha.ansari

you can work with non Muslims but it depends on what work you are doing,, that must be some halal type of work,,, so no problem you can do. .it..

JenGiove

Sister, the others have given you good advice. As for the sexual harassment, please, stand up against that and report it. It is against the law and is not something that a blind eye should be turned to it. It is your right and it is a Jihad for many women. Do not tolerate it!

As for the general behavior of the non-muslims around you that for YOU is haraam, but not for them, all I can say is have pity for them. Hopefully, your dreams of working at the Islamic school will come quicker than expected and you can work in a better environment.

I wish you well.