Working Women: early Muslim examples

islamerica

1 Ummah under God
This topic can be touchy sometimes and the opinions from scholars out there can vary at times as well. I think it helps to have a broader perspective in all of this. Islam does not require a woman to work and the providing for her needs is the responsibility of the mahram. They also says a woman should not go outside her house needlessly and only out of necessity. This is how it was in our parents age and before that. Even Allah says in the Quran to stay indoors and do not make a wanton display of yourself. So clearly we know that a Muslim woman's place is at home, safe from the eyes of non-mahram and fitnah of mixing with non-mahrams. That is the ideal place to be, as queens to enjoy life at home and have whatever you require be delivered to you.

That being the conservative side, we also have the liberal side of things today. We have muslimahs who want their "rights" to go outside and do whatever they want. Who wear improper clothing and call it hijab. Who make friends with non-mahrams, even kuffars and think it's ok, going out to coffee and hanging with them and what not. These are the modern youth muslimahs. They start out in school and in college and end up as career women. They want to "work" and make a "career" out of their lives. They are not ready for marriage, they have to conquer the world. I've seen these girls still in high school and falling in love with kuffar boys they make friends with. As much as they are to blame, more so are their parents for failing to raising them up properly on Islam. And i fear that is where majority are and headed these days.

And then there are those somewhere in the middle. They don't sit home and they don't go all out thinking they own the world. These are the Muslimahs who know their deen and who study and educate themselves. who get married when a good proposal comes and not delay it, they work (or not) to get experience but only till kids come. There are those who put their kids in day care or leave'em with mum n dad so they can go work. I don't believe this is right. How can one leave part of their fless home or in hands of strangers at daycare while they go rub shoulders with non-mahrams a work. Being mom is a full time job and it doesn't end until they go to college and have been given good tarbiyyah to handle themselves in college. Even then it's good to get them engaged or married soon as possible.

With that said there are also situations out of the normal. For example. we need sisters in certain field and we need them to work. These include teaching, nursing, midwifes, pediatrician, gynecologist, and other such fields where ummah needs them so we don't have to go to males. Those sisters who have a strong desire to work should consider these fields and not male dominated that does not benefit the muslimahs and ones Ummah can do without them. Not only are they not needed in such fields but they also take jobs away from their Muslim brothers who need it to provide for their families. And then there are also those who have no choice but to work for one reason or another, such as having no mahrams to take care of them.

So this is not a clear cut topic. There are those who have to work, those who don't and those who want to. Some are misguided, some have no choice and some got the right intentions and plans.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam alaikum,

Brother, May Allah reward your kind heart. I am fine Alhumdulila.

I have been fortunate in my life. This is not my story. There is much much truth to it. There are many deserving sisters. Please keep in mind I speak for many a sister who is too gentle to be bold like me. I used this as an example. I know sisters who have the water cut off and they have children. I know about food banks as I have sent sisters to food banks. Currently, I know a sister with cancer; each time it snows she cringes as her roof is so warped it make not take the weight of the snow. Her car broke down and the only bus is a half-mile walk with no sidewalks. I know a sister with three children; one is a special needs child. She wishes to take them to jumma but can not afford the bus fare. It is a treat for her to make that outing. She never complains. I saw a sister who had to be in her seventies weeping outside a store, halaal supermarket, in the cold. She had no money. She did not speak English.
The point I am trying to make is for many to open their hearts to our sisters.

I am so touched by your generous spirit. Do you not understand that you will be rewarded as if you sent me your money.

The issue I am trying to make others aware of is this is real. What do we do to help our sisters. How do we make those with wherewithall understand that we have to open businesses to employ our sisters. We have to ask our communities to return to Sunna. Why do you think I scream about polygamy.

Sister Islamerica,

This is not about being conservative or liberal. It has nothing to do with that. This is about survival. This is about being alone and having to survive without any protection. This is about women having to put food on the table as there is not a man who is there to do it. There is nothing touchy about this subject. A woman who chooses to work is a different animal than a woman who has to work. One has a choice and one does not. So I ask where are the brothers? They are the ones who need to man up for these sisters.

This is a clear cut topic. There exists and it is a growing number of sisters who have to work to put food on the table. They work hard. If they are uneducated then they have to work harder. Given the current economic depression we are encountering they are unable to make ends meet. They have little financial support and more importantly they have no social support.

No mother in her right mind wants to put a child in child-care. But some are paid to do that so they can work. Crazy isn't it.

We need solutions as Islam is the religion with answers.

Gupta

Assalaam alaikum,

What is being sought here is direction and to some degree hope of activism. True, I had the opportunity to work in an all women's environment. I loved every second of it however circumstances which were rather haraam put an end to that. I had to go find work in the horrible world of retail. I lasted six weeks. On my last day I started to vomit and decided this was the sign to walk out. And I simply punched the clock and walked out.

We find women who become the breadwinners, even married women, carry the burden of the family. We have many many examples.

It is impossible to make enough money to be self-sufficient when when you tutor. That is pocket money. I call it mad money. Money for the extras. It does not cover the expenditures of life.

As for the sister who says the west allows men to be entertained; lets not stereotype. All you have to do is snap back and tell the man to get lost. You do not have to be rude. A person only conforms as much as they wish to conform. Besides, that is not the topic of this thread.

The wives of the Prophet, swas, worked.

We are not encouraged to stay at home and weep. That does not put bread in the mouths of babes. That does not stop the bill collector from being an intimate friend. Oh..its 8:39 am..it must be the electrical company..it is winter and my heat is electric..but the cutoff date is tomorrow and I need $250.00 to keep it on until the next due date. So, I'll mosey down to the pawn shop..deal with kufr men and get a trifling for my jewels...one collector down three more to go...can't drive the insurance lapsed...will have to take public transportation...bus is full..can't get to a seat...and I am squished between three men..great...stop to pay bill...get receipt..try to make phone call...cell phone is off...will pay bill in three days..temperature dropping...find pay phone...broken..walk two blocks..wait ten minutes on hold..Alhumdullila my children have heat...take two buses home..walk three blocks...there are icicles forming on my nose....one week until the food stamps come...InshaAllah, I will go to the kufr food bank and see what's in the tin cans....

Oh where did I read that a brother wanted to discuss issues of women in need in the west...but needed evidence about Sunna and the Quran?...Let me make wudu and pray...Oh Allah subhana wa taala...let me depend on no other than You...cleanse my heart of any ill-feeling I may have; how my brothers in faith abandon me; Allah humma bless them with knowledge; let my sisters in faith who live in comfort and joy continue their comfort and joy; protect the sisters from what I have endured; make me ever grateful for every blessing you have given me. Tomorrow, InshaAllah, I will get food to last until the food stamps come. ( forgive me Allah but I can not look at another can of creamed corn..save me from that)

Oh my Lord, dear sister! Please do not hesitate to ask me for money. Are the food stamps not enough for you? I am willing to send money your way. All I ask in return is Allah to grant me paradise

tic_tac_toe

This topic can be touchy sometimes and the opinions from scholars out there can vary at times as well. I think it helps to have a broader perspective in all of this. Islam does not require a woman to work and the providing for her needs is the responsibility of the mahram. They also says a woman should not go outside her house needlessly and only out of necessity. This is how it was in our parents age and before that. Even Allah says in the Quran to stay indoors and do not make a wanton display of yourself. So clearly we know that a Muslim woman's place is at home, safe from the eyes of non-mahram and fitnah of mixing with non-mahrams. That is the ideal place to be, as queens to enjoy life at home and have whatever you require be delivered to you.

That being the conservative side, we also have the liberal side of things today. We have muslimahs who want their "rights" to go outside and do whatever they want. Who wear improper clothing and call it hijab. Who make friends with non-mahrams, even kuffars and think it's ok, going out to coffee and hanging with them and what not. These are the modern youth muslimahs. They start out in school and in college and end up as career women. They want to "work" and make a "career" out of their lives. They are not ready for marriage, they have to conquer the world. I've seen these girls still in high school and falling in love with kuffar boys they make friends with. As much as they are to blame, more so are their parents for failing to raising them up properly on Islam. And i fear that is where majority are and headed these days.

And then there are those somewhere in the middle. They don't sit home and they don't go all out thinking they own the world. These are the Muslimahs who know their deen and who study and educate themselves. who get married when a good proposal comes and not delay it, they work (or not) to get experience but only till kids come. There are those who put their kids in day care or leave'em with mum n dad so they can go work. I don't believe this is right. How can one leave part of their fless home or in hands of strangers at daycare while they go rub shoulders with non-mahrams a work. Being mom is a full time job and it doesn't end until they go to college and have been given good tarbiyyah to handle themselves in college. Even then it's good to get them engaged or married soon as possible.

With that said there are also situations out of the normal. For example. we need sisters in certain field and we need them to work. These include teaching, nursing, midwifes, pediatrician, gynecologist, and other such fields where ummah needs them so we don't have to go to males. Those sisters who have a strong desire to work should consider these fields and not male dominated that does not benefit the muslimahs and ones Ummah can do without them. Not only are they not needed in such fields but they also take jobs away from their Muslim brothers who need it to provide for their families. And then there are also those who have no choice but to work for one reason or another, such as having no mahrams to take care of them.

So this is not a clear cut topic. There are those who have to work, those who don't and those who want to. Some are misguided, some have no choice and some got the right intentions and plans.

:salam2:

:jazaak: I concur with your summation because you have acknowledged the default, summed up the exceptions and broadly categorized the circumstances which will lead to the exceptions (being granted) and may :Allah: assist all of us in following the Book of :Allah: and the Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad :saw:

My concern was to elaborate that the pursuing of a career is not the default for a Muslim women, rather the exception (or to put it better exemption) e.g. the default for a Muslim woman is to pray in a solitary corner of her house but she is also permitted to pray in the Mosque and our Sisters who out of femininity and Modernism demand rights are exceeding the bounds of :Allah: and lessening their own reward; by the same token it must also be admitted that in the west we have a large number of Sisters who are in need of community spirit and cohesion so Mosque is the obvious place.

As long as we guide our Sisters and educated them based on Sunnah we won't go wrong but our guide must be the Book of :Allah: and the Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad :saw: and not prevailing winds and ensuing circumstances!

:wasalam:

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam alaikum,

Brother,

I thinking I am tickled. I just figured you out. Life in not default. Life is not a simple binary system. Knock. Knock....

You ignore everything that does not make sense in your little world. Things in life do not fit into nice little systems. Life is not a or b. There are always more solutions and exceptions.

I pray you meet human beings who can teach you.

tic_tac_toe

Assalaam alaikum,

Brother,

I thinking I am tickled. I just figured you out. Life in not default. Life is not a simple binary system. Knock. Knock....

You ignore everything that does not make sense in your little world. Things in life do not fit into nice little systems. Life is not a or b. There are always more solutions and exceptions.

I pray you meet human beings who can teach you.

:salam2: Sister,

Life has defaults and procedures in every sense. When you drive this afternoon and witness an accident there is a default procedure which is to dial 911 and try to give basic life support etc. If you can't access a phone or your cell battery is dead then try to get someone else's attention and ask them to help you. If you can't then even do that then you try to stabilize the patient as best as you can

When the ambulance arrives they take over and try to maintain life by doing ABC. If the Ambulance discovers that their defibrillator has stopped working they switch to portal unit and if the battery dies on that one they switch to something else.

At the Hospital the Doctor decides that the patients needs to given Epi. Nurse is checking previous history and discovers that the Patient has previous episodes of Tachycardia so then they either switch treatment or go ahead with it but monitor nervously.

After your ordeal you come home and pray 4 Rakaah of Asar Salah which is the default but while praying you remember that you are actually traveling and at your uncle's house in a different state and need to pray only 2 which is the exception

In the similar sense Islam gives default ruling and exceptions to the defaults and just like the ambulance won't just switch to a portable backup unit when the primary unit is working Islam won't allow you to switch to exceptions without the prevailing circumstances.

:wasalam:

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam alikum,

Brother,

Life is not black and white. I wish it were. The decision tree is not limited to two options in life.

What I am asking is that there be proactive work within our communities to recognize that we have Islamic solutions to assist the sisters in need. We can not make the sisters feel unwelcome.

Trust me these sisters hold hard to their faith. That is what is astonishing. And they forgive so easily.

As for work. Some have no option. Yet, we do not have businesses that employ women exclusively.

You have influence brother.

tic_tac_toe

Assalaam alikum,

Brother,

Life is not black and white. I wish it were. The decision tree is not limited to two options in life.

What I am asking is that there be proactive work within our communities to recognize that we have Islamic solutions to assist the sisters in need. We can not make the sisters feel unwelcome.

Trust me these sisters hold hard to their faith. That is what is astonishing. And they forgive so easily.

As for work. Some have no option. Yet, we do not have businesses that employ women exclusively.

You have influence brother.

Please elaborate as to what you think I am disagreeing with?

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam alaikum,

Brother,

First and foremost, I wish to thank you for reading and attempting to continue this discussion. This speaks volumes initself.

I understand that this life is a test and our trials are to make us better. I know that success only comes from submitting to Allah subhana wa taala. I believe in all sincerity that Islam provides viable solutions to our man-made ills.

I recognize that a woman who does not have to go into the world of working with men is protected. I appreciate the brothers who protect the womenfolk.

Whereas, I am simply pointing out that there is a growing number of women who are experiencing difficulties in life. The difficulties are primarily financial. They stem from living in the West. What happens is when marriage is dissolved the women are left to their own resources. The avenues left for these sisters are to go and work in environments that are not beneficial to their spirituality. Or they become dependents on a welfare system that is not Islamic. Additionally, they have to raise their children without help from the former husband.

It is often difficult to try and provide spiritual counsel to someone who is fearful of not having the basic necessities. And, I fully understand that basic necessities are driven by the society; i.e. running hot water is a norm in this society; we are used to hot water 24 hours a day. However, as they are basic in this society there exits a need.

Yes, our individual actions lead us to where we are at any given point in life..( your word default).

I feel that we do not employ the mechanisms within our faith to implement programs to assist our communities. We do not need to send our sisters to the world of the kufr for assistance in food and basic necessities. These are Muslim women.

Who are they to turn to in times of need? Or is this simply spiritual crisis? Talk to me about this being a spiritual crisis and the remedies for that.

I am not trying to argue. I am trying to find Islamic answers. Brother, how do you counsel a woman who is on hard times with no hope; one who sees her options very limited. How does she hold onto her faith. I believe this would be more instructive. Playing the blame game is futile.

And once again, please accept my thanks.

tic_tac_toe

Assalaam alaikum,

Brother,

First and foremost, I wish to thank you for reading and attempting to continue this discussion. This speaks volumes initself.

I understand that this life is a test and our trials are to make us better. I know that success only comes from submitting to Allah subhana wa taala. I believe in all sincerity that Islam provides viable solutions to our man-made ills.

I recognize that a woman who does not have to go into the world of working with men is protected. I appreciate the brothers who protect the womenfolk.

Whereas, I am simply pointing out that there is a growing number of women who are experiencing difficulties in life. The difficulties are primarily financial. They stem from living in the West. What happens is when marriage is dissolved the women are left to their own resources. The avenues left for these sisters are to go and work in environments that are not beneficial to their spirituality. Or they become dependents on a welfare system that is not Islamic. Additionally, they have to raise their children without help from the former husband.

It is often difficult to try and provide spiritual counsel to someone who is fearful of not having the basic necessities. And, I fully understand that basic necessities are driven by the society; i.e. running hot water is a norm in this society; we are used to hot water 24 hours a day. However, as they are basic in this society there exits a need.

Yes, our individual actions lead us to where we are at any given point in life..( your word default).

I feel that we do not employ the mechanisms within our faith to implement programs to assist our communities. We do not need to send our sisters to the world of the kufr for assistance in food and basic necessities. These are Muslim women.

Who are they to turn to in times of need? Or is this simply spiritual crisis? Talk to me about this being a spiritual crisis and the remedies for that.

I am not trying to argue. I am trying to find Islamic answers. Brother, how do you counsel a woman who is on hard times with no hope; one who sees her options very limited. How does she hold onto her faith. I believe this would be more instructive. Playing the blame game is futile.

And once again, please accept my thanks.

Noble Sister,

Let me ask again.

Please elaborate as to what you think I am disagreeing with?

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam alaikum,

Then forgive me and give us instruction. Simple ayats from the Quran and hadith that I can share with my sisters such that we do not err. Help me find the words for my sisters so they do not find themselves in such predicaments; that they have to compromise their faith for the need of money. A sister dependent on the welfare system is carrying a basket of concrete on her head.

tic_tac_toe

Assalaam alaikum,

Then forgive me and give us instruction. Simple ayats from the Quran and hadith that I can share with my sisters such that we do not err. Help me find the words for my sisters so they do not find themselves in such predicaments; that they have to compromise their faith for the need of money. A sister dependent on the welfare system is carrying a basket of concrete on her head.

:salam2:

Nobody is disagreeing that when one of our Sisters is in need she obviously needs to work and it is our duty as an Ummah to help and assist to the best of our ability and not leave our Sisters to fend for themselves. That is covered by exception because a Muslim woman trying to survive on her own in hard times is an exceptional situation.

The issue is that under normal circumstances her husband/father/son/brother are supposed to look after her and it isn't her primary duty or obligation. It is also noted that if her husband/father/son/brother are unable to provide adequately then again she has no choice but to assist financially.

Now please tell me which bit of my stance are you disagreeing with and based on what?

Gupta

We must consider that once a woman steps outside her home, whatever that is haram will pounce at her. We women tend to be overly comfident and convince ourselves that nothing could harm us or harm our faith. that's how shaytaan works. He gives is assurance, until slowly but surely we end up having tea with a nonmuhrim boss while having "work" talk. Sometimes we're tricked into marrying a nonmuslim, and of course after giving birth to 1 or two nonmuslim children, we end up in a divorce. we need to protect ourselves from day 1. We should avoid haram environments. We must keep our guards up and avoid thinking that we are invincible.

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
A muslimah can still work in a halal environment even if she is already provided for, shes allowed to earn her own wealth and this doesn't change the obligation on the husband to provide for her in anyway.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam alaikum,

Brother,

I believe I misinterpreted your statements. I read into it that you did not seem to have an understanding of the plight of the sisters. And once again I ask that you forgive me.

Yes, the bottom line is that we have to rely on the Mercy and Wisdom of Allah subhana wa taala. We need to bear in mind that the word of truth is not subject to time. It is difficult.

In reflection we have to find the balance between the physical reality and the spiritual reality. And opt for the spiritual reality. If not I would not be writing this.

( happy now?)