Wouldn't this be offensive?

Shannonx

:salam2:

I saw a picture yesterday (it was a painting) of a Muslim woman in a martini glass wearing the niqab with her legs showing (also her legs were up). I agreed with this other sister and said that was disrespectful to Muslim women. The person with the picture told me to grow up and said it was art. It seemed like it didn't bug a couple of other people. I know I don't cover yet, soon I will inshallah, but I just found it very offensive. It was online too, I didn't actually encounter someone with this face to face.

I don't mean to talk about someone, but it just made me curious if i'm the only one who would find that disrespectful.

iislam4ever

Servant of Allah 247
that is offensive if i were you i would have broken that glass right in front that person’s eyes,,,,,these stupid evil ppl make plot to put down Islam but they don’t intend to realize that Allaah also plots, He is the best of plotter

dna1987

Muslim Guy
^ Salam alaikum.

It was a painting, not real life; and it's not possible to break a 2D glass. Also, if it was real, breaking the glass would create more problems than it would solve, as well as making Muslims look impatient and volatile.

Shannonx

Well I don't know what his intentions were, if he realizes it's offensive or not. He kept saying it's art, but I just didn't find it right to portray a Muslim woman like that. Especially in a martini glass, I don't see how that's art.

Eh, I don't know just wanted to see if people agreed or disagreed.

Optimist

قل هو الله أحد
there is plenty of art that is pure *!*!*!*!ography ... or even worse ... paedophilia

within the Western mindset, anything can be justified under the banner of art ... just see how celebrities are taking the lead in driving the morals of the society down

the pic is definitly offensive ...

Shahzad

they just want to make mockery of hijab and want to show that those girls who wear hijab are &^*&6%%&

Just leave them as they are.

Faiza619

Strangers on earth
VERY!!

This is very offensive.
I have one question though i think they should ask themselves.
The picture was of a muslim woman in hijab or was a nun in their habbit?
i think these peolpe fail to see right under their noses.
They have nuns putting on hijab and they never speak of it. But they have the courage to mock the muslims with their Hijab.
I think you should have asked him if his sister was to convert to Islam or Mother, would he still be making the same ART?
May Allah protect us from the shaytaan :tti_sister:

warda A

Sister
nuns

This is very offensive.
I have one question though i think they should ask themselves.
The picture was of a muslim woman in hijab or was a nun in their habbit?
i think these peolpe fail to see right under their noses.
They have nuns putting on hijab and they never speak of it. But they have the courage to mock the muslims with their Hijab.
I think you should have asked him if his sister was to convert to Islam or Mother, would he still be making the same ART?
May Allah protect us from the shaytaan :tti_sister:

yes sister you are right
we would never do that to anyone, muslims have never offended anyone by art or whatsoever, imagine a nun potrayed like that? it would definately get the attention of the church. art or no art we should be mindfull of other peoples religions and way of life so sister i would surely ask him even if he argues it is art, ask if it is morally right to potray a muslim woman even a woman as such.
that wasnt art it was a provocation!

Shannonx

Thanks for the replies. He wrote me back but i'm just going to ignore it. It's going to be a never ending argument and will be like talking to a brick wall. Of course he brought up "other Muslims have seen this and have not said anything about it." He also mentioned it was Shia Muslims who did not care. Not that i'm trying to single them out, lol but yeah.

Seriously though, if your going to draw a painting of a Muslim woman do it respectfully. I've seen drawings of Muslim women fully covered and walking down a street in some middle eastern country. Showing a Muslim woman in a martini glass, umm not a good drawing. I'd say the same if it was a naked non Muslim woman in a martini glass.

Oh, and BTW he didn't draw it. It was some other guy named Max Emadi. According to the people I was talking to said he's an artist and draws all kind of pictures.

Salaam,

"This is art" - that is a lame excuse. That's the same excuse they use when couples kiss and make out in the movie films - "it's just a movie" - let's get real man. These people have no moral senses.

SweetAmirah

I see a lot of bad pictures like that, where the woman is wearing hijab but wearing a shirt that is tight and shows her midrift, posing sexy....It is not right to do things like that. It's almost mockery!

I would be offended by that picture.

and I know about art.

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
I would be offended by that picture

Yep me too, but Ive had worst said directly to me in the past and that was just mockery of hijaab. It does make you want to break whatevers in front of you, (in my case it was the persons face :p) it was good thing I didnt though, as it wouldve meant definite expulsion as he happened to be my history teacher.

Some times its best to be patient, they will never compromise on things they believe are part of thier 'culture' (however sick it may be)

Salika

~mUsLiMaH~
:astag:, i just took a look at that painting...ughh!!!:angryred::angryred::angryred::angryred::angryred::angryred::angryred:....its extremely offensive to me because i just happen to be a niqabi.....what is he trying to say...that women who cover up are actually seductive underneath it?...what the hell!!....if i was you...i would have just blown off right then and there...my flaw..but who cares...how dare they!!! sorry if i may seem too argressive!!..my apologies...:wasalam:

sal12

Of course it's offensive however, there really isn't much we can do about it. Some non-muslims really don't understand why something like that would offend someone. For example, I have seen on some tv shows with comedians such as The Friday Night Project in the UK that mock Jesus, Mary etc and they're all christians and they know that many christians would be watching. They just don't think it's a big deal and that they're having a laugh. Muslims would never say anything negative about the Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wassalam) even if those Muslims are not practicing. There are really some people who would not understand.

I personally would have said something but I wouldn't have gotten aggressive and I would have just stated that it's disrespectful and explained why it is so that people are aware.

Getting angry and wanting to smash the painting is what would lead people to think that we truly are "extremists."

Always remain calm. Even if people would disagree with u there's no point arguing back as long as u have expressed your point. After that remain silent. At least you have taught them something about Islam indirectly, and that that will stay with them which may make them think about what was said.

Ma'asalama

Sauda17

Well I don't know what his intentions were, if he realizes it's offensive or not. He kept saying it's art, but I just didn't find it right to portray a Muslim woman like that. Especially in a martini glass, I don't see how that's art.

Eh, I don't know just wanted to see if people agreed or disagreed.

If you think thats bad read this...

A few years ago the artist Hussain Chalayan ended one of his shows by sending several naked models down the runway. It began with one in a full hijab, and each model who stepped on the runway was wearing a shorter and shorter version until the last one was completely naked. Except she didn't bother with the strategic hand placement.
His purpose was to show how women are being oppressed by religion and to draw attention to the fact that beneath the garment there are living, breathing women.

I agree with Sal12 " I personally would have said something but I wouldn't have gotten aggressive and I would have just stated that it's disrespectful and explained why it is so that people are aware.

Getting angry and wanting to smash the painting is what would lead people to think that we truly are "extremists."