7 Common mistakes usually we make in prayers

truesuccess

Proud to be a Muslim
Listed below are the 7 Common mistakes usually we make in prayers

Mistake 1: Reciting Surat al-Fatiha fast without pausing after each verse.

fatiha.gif

The Prophet (SAW) used to pause after each verse of this surah. (Abu Dawood)

Mistake 2: Sticking the arms to the sides of the body, in rukoo' or sujood, and sticking the belly to the thighs in sujood.

sujood_wrong.jpg

Mistake 3: Gazing upward during prayer.

lower_gaze.jpg

Mistake 4 : Resting only the tip of the head on the floor during sujood.

sujood_head_wrong.jpg

Mistake 5 : Hasty performance of prayer which does not allow repose and calmness in rukoo' or sujood.

qayam_sujood_slowly.jpg

sujood_slowly.jpg

The Messenger of Allah (SAW) said: " The worst thief is the one who steals from his own prayer." People asked, 'Messenger of Allah! How could one steal from his own prayer?' He (SAW) said: "By not completing its rukoo' and sujood." (At Tabarani & al-Hakim).

Mistake 6 : Counting tasbeeh with the left hand

tasbeeh_finger_counting.jpg

Mistake 7 : Crossing in front of a praying person.

no_crossing.jpg

>>Click here to read in details <<

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
JazaakAllaah khayr,

Shaykh Mashhoor Hassan compiled a book (out in English) in which he mentions about 100 or maybe way more common mistakes.

Shaykh Saalih Aal ush-Shaykh also compiled a much shorter treatise on the topic, and he mentioned around 30 or so common mistakes.

truesuccess

Proud to be a Muslim
Assalam Alaikum

You know, there are many brothers and sisters who are not aware of all this..

They keep going on doing mistakes throughout the life

Its our duty to let them know about this

Allah Hafiz

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
:salam2:

thanks for the post. it is so important that we perform salat in the same manner as the prophet muhammad:saw:

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)

I would like to add one more...

To takbir( including raising ur hands) when u want to do rukoo

regarding reciting fatiha..stopping at each verse..
This is a bit difficult if the imam is fast..:angryblue:

KhalidalAsadullah

Al Mujahid
One thing I notice is that many brothers leave their pantlegs covering their ankles during salat and they also do not touch toes. I get upset when a brother makes it hard to touch his toes, I'm pretty sure there is a hadith about touching feet but I can't recall it.

Durriyyah

Forever Student

Thank you for this. I do forget to pause after each verse but depending on who you ask, they may say that women should put their arms at their sides during sujood and other things that are a bit different. I'm no scholar (yet, insha'Allah) but I personally pray a bit differently b/c I am a woman.

:tti_sister:

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
One thing I notice is that many brothers leave their pantlegs covering their ankles during salat and they also do not touch toes. I get upset when a brother makes it hard to touch his toes, I'm pretty sure there is a hadith about touching feet but I can't recall it.

There are many ahaadeeth in Sahih Bukhari, in the book of characteristics of the prayer (after the book of adhaan, wAllaahu a`lam), which clearly outline that the rows should be straight, tight, compressed, and that the people should stand shoulder-to-shoulder, thigh/knee-to-thigh/knee and ankle-to-ankle (or heel-to-heel). They do not say toe-to-toe.

I find it disturbing when the man next to me has one foot pointing towards the left, and the other the right (while he is facing the qiblah), I try and join my heel/ankle with him, and he, instead, tries to join his toe to mine (due to his feet facing opposite directions, the knees/thighs can't be joint)! You find many old, traditional brothers (or uncles) praying with their own feet together, but the shoulders are near enough joint. On the other extreme you find the younger ones praying with one foot in Asia, and the other in Africa, hence the shoulders can never be joint! It is as if they lack judgment and don't realise that the shoulders, knees and feet need to be lined up in order to be joint, hence they seem to think there shoulders are FAAARRR wider and broader than they are!

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
There are many ahaadeeth in Sahih Bukhari, in the book of characteristics of the prayer (after the book of adhaan, wAllaahu a`lam), which clearly outline that the rows should be straight, tight, compressed, and that the people should stand shoulder-to-shoulder, thigh/knee-to-thigh/knee and ankle-to-ankle (or heel-to-heel). They do not say toe-to-toe.

Akhi , can u show to me the hadith

Globalpeace

Banned
Joining ankles in prayers? Shaykh Salih al-'Uthaymin

Asslamo Allaikum Brother,

A seriously misunderstood issue with exagerration on all sides, RED BOLD highlighting is mine

By Shaykh Muhammad ibn Salih al-'Uthaymin, rahimahullah

س234: ما المعتمد في إقامة الصفوف؟ وهل يشرع للمصلي أن يلصق كعبه بكعب من بجانبه؟ أفتونا مأجورين؟
الجواب: الصحيح أن المعتمد في تسوية الصف محاذاة الكعبين بعضهما بعضاً، لا رؤوس الأصابع، وذلك لأن البدن مركب على الكعب، والأصابع تختلف الأقدام فيها، فهناك القدم الطويل، وهناك القدم القصير، فلا يمكن ضبط التساوي إلا بالكعب .
وأما إلصاق الكعبين بعضهما ببعض فلا شك أنه وارد عن الصحابة –رضي الله عنهم- فإنهم كانا يسوون الصفوف بإلصاق الكعبين بعضهما ببعض ، أي أن كل واحد منهم يلصق كعبه بكعب جاره لتحقق المحاذاة وتسوية الصف، فهو ليس مقصوداً لذاته لكنه مقصود لغيره كما ذكر بعض أهل العلم، ولهذا إذا تمت الصفوف وقام الناس ينبغي لكل واحد أن يلصق كعبه بكعب صاحبه لتحقق المساواة، وليس معنى ذلك أن يلازم هذا الإلصاق ويبقى ملازماً له في جميع الصلاة .
ومن الغلو في هذه المسألة ما يفعله بعض الناس من كونه يلصق كعبه بكعب صاحبه ويفتح قدميه فيما بينهما حتى يكون بينه وبين جاره في المناكب فرجة فيخالف السنة في ذلك، والمقصود أن المناكب والأكعب تتساوى

Question: What is the relied-upon position regarding the straightening of the rows (sufuf)? Is it prescribed for the praying person to join his ankle (ka'b) to the ankle of the person next to him? Please give us the fatwa, may you be rewarded.

Answer: That which is correct is that the relied-upon position regarding the straightening of the row is that the ankles should be in line with each other, not the ends of the toes, and that is because the body is supported upon the ankle, and the feet differ in regard to the toes, because some feet are long, and some feet are short. So it is impossible to ensure straightness except by the ankles (i.e. by the ankles being in line with each other).

As for joining the ankles to the ankles of the others, then no doubt this is reported from the Sahabah, radhiyallahu 'anhum, for they would straighten the rows by joining ankles, that is, every one of them would join his ankle with the ankle of his neighbour to ensure being line, and the straightness of the row. So it is not meant as an aim in itself, but rather as a means of achieving another aim, as some of the people of knowledge have mentioned. Therefore, when the rows are completed and the people are standing, it is befitting for every one of them to join his ankle to the ankle of his companion to ensure straightness. It does not mean that he should continue this joining and remain so for the whole salah.

From the extremism that has occurred with regard to this issue is what is done by some people in that one of them will join his ankle to the ankle of his companion, and he will spread his feet so far apart until there is a gap between his shoulder and the shoulder of his companion, so he will oppose the Sunnah by doing that. But the aim is that the shoulders and ankles should be in line with each other.

I find it disturbing when the man next to me has one foot pointing towards the left, and the other the right (while he is facing the qiblah), I try and join my heel/ankle with him, and he, instead, tries to join his toe to mine (due to his feet facing opposite directions, the knees/thighs can't be joint)! You find many old, traditional brothers (or uncles) praying with their own feet together, but the shoulders are near enough joint. On the other extreme you find the younger ones praying with one foot in Asia, and the other in Africa, hence the shoulders can never be joint! It is as if they lack judgment and don't realise that the shoulders, knees and feet need to be lined up in order to be joint, hence they seem to think there shoulders are FAAARRR wider and broader than they are!

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
Maa shaa Allaah, that is what I was saying. Didn't know the Shaykh spoke about the issue! I take the assumption that it is in the 2-volume fataawaa set on tahaarah and salaah.

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
Question:
Hanafis are often criticised for not touching toes in congregational prayer (by Salafis), who point to the hadith ( I don't know it off-hand). I understand that it's not the hadith that is being questioned, but the interpretation.

This is specifically a problem for women, as we have to keep our feet close together, according to our madhab. Please send me details as I am trying to put this across to a salafi sister.

Answer:

In the name of Allah the Inspirer of truth.

The following which is an excerpt from the 3rd edition of Fiqh al-Imam [currently under publication] will insha Allah give more insight into the issue of joining the feet which has caused great confusion.

There is a hadith of Sunan Abi Dawud which describes the Companions joining their feet with each other to form orderly rows. Abu ‘l-Qasim al-Jadali reports:

I heard Nu‘man ibn Bashir t relate that the Messenger e faced the people and instructed, “Straighten your rows. By Allah, you should straighten your rows or else Allah will create disagreement between your hearts.” Nu’man ibn Bashir then states, “I saw each person join his shoulders with the next persons and his knees and ankles with the next persons” (Sunan Abi Dawud1:104).

This is one of the hadiths which is put forward as evidence by those who assert that each person’s feet should be joined with the next persons, during congregation. Some of them are overly particular about this, and if someone standing next to them happen to draw their feet inwards then these people widens their legs even more to maintain the contact. They continuously criticise those who do not leave a wide gap between their feet as though thesunna method is only what they claim.

However, their attempts to substantiate their point through the above or similar hadiths are in vain, for a number of simple reasons.

(1) The words which actually describe the joining of the feet are not the words of the Messenger e, but are the words of the narrator, i.e. his observation. Hence, that portion of the narration is not a statement of the Messenger e himself [marfu‘]. The narrator is the one who describes the reaction of the Companions present at the time to the command and warning of the Messenger e. In fact, this type of an observation added by the narrator is not even found in the majority of narrations that emphasise orderly rows. Hence, it becomes quite clear that the Messenger e did not command that the feet be joined together. He merely commanded that the lines be orderly, and the Companions employed this method of joining their feet and shoulders together to fulfil that.

(2) The hadith merely tells us about the behaviour of the Companions before the prayer had begun. In other words, to comply with the instruction of the Messenger e they attempted to form a straight line by joining their shoulders and feet together before the prayer commenced. No where in the hadith does it indicate that this was also done during the prayer. It states that the Messenger e turned towards them to instruct them in this regard, which proves that this activity took place prior to the beginning of prayer. Whether this arrangement was continued throughout the prayer or not is not mentioned in the narrations.

(3) If for the sake of argument, we were to accept that the joining of the feet was maintained throughout the prayer, a number of questions would arise. For one, it would be enquired whether the feet should be joined together in all postures of the prayer or only during the standing posture [qiyam]? If the answer is that it is required only during the standing posture, then the question would be, What is the evidence for that? Why is this arrangement confined to the standing posture only and not required in any other posture? If the answer is that it is necessary in all postures of prayer, then the question would be, How will people in each row go about joining their feet and shoulders together whilst in prostration or in the sitting posture? As is clear, it would be quite impossible to achieve that.

Moreover, if the counter-argument is that it is only necessary to have the feet together while standing up because it is difficult to do so in the other postures of prayer, then the answer to that would be, it is also very difficult, and sometimes quite inconvenient, for many people to ensure this joiningarrangement during the standing posture as well, just as it is in other postures.

(4) If it is considered necessary to join the shoulders and feet together on account of the above hadith, then why have the knees been excluded? As is mentioned in the above narration of Sunan Abi Dawud that the Companions joined their knees together, it should also be treated as an obligation throughout the prayer. However, one must be warned that standing even for a short while with one’s knees joined to the next persons can be quite painful, in fact impossible in some cases, when there is significant difference in the size of the two people standing next to each other.

(5) Another interpretation of this hadith is that the narrator Nu‘man ibn Bashir only intended to describe how the Companions attempted to form extremely straight rows at the instructions of the Messenger e, and not that they actually joined their feet, shoulders and ankles together. It is for this reason that the title of a chapter in Sahih al-Bukhari ‘Chapter on the Joining of the Shoulders and Feet Together Whilst Forming the Rows’ has been classified by Hafiz Ibn Hajar to be based on exaggeration. He writes in his commentary Fath al-Bari,

[Imam Bukhari’s] reason for choosing this specific title is to exaggerate (mubalagha) the importance of straightening the rows and filling the gaps in between. (Fath al-Bari2:247)

This means that the narration is not to be taken literally. Imam Shawkani, who is constantly referred to by those who prefer not to follow a school of thought in Islamic jurisprudence, has not taken it for its literal interpretation either. He writes in his bookNayl al-awtar:

[The statement of the Companion] means, place the parts of the body [shoulders, etc.] in line with each other, so that the shoulder of each person performing prayer is in level with the shoulder of the next person. This way everyone’s shoulders, knees and feet will be in a single straight line (Nayl al-awtar3:65*).

In clear words, this indicates that the real reason for joining the shoulders and other parts, was to straighten the rows, not that the joining itself is an obligatory act.

(6) Anas t has further stated in a narration of Ma‘mar which Ibn Hajar has recorded in his Fath al-Bari,

If I were to attempt this [joining the shoulders and feet together] with anybody today, they would scurry away like restive mules (Fath al-Bari 2:247).

It is apparent from this statement, that even the Companions did not continue this practise after the demise of the Messenger e. If it had been a continuous action of the Messenger e [sunna mustamirra] the Companions would never have abandoned it, let alone speak of it in such a manner.

(7) Once it is established that the primary reason for the Companions joining their feet together was to achieve perfect order in their rows, it can be easily understood that this joining of the feet is not required any longer, since in most of themasjids and places of worship today, the lines are well marked on the carpets, marble, and floor coverings. The worshippers by standing together with their heels on the markings will automatically come together in perfectly straight rows. There is no need to be so particular in joining the feet together to achieve this goal, let alone consider it the actual goal.

For the entire discussion see Fiqh al-Imam: Key Proofs in Hanafi Fiqh, soon to be published insha Allah.

Wassalam
Abdurrahman ibn Yusuf

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum,

Got it from the web-site in Arabic and this is ONE of his Many Fatawa that is not generally found in English!

Maa shaa Allaah, that is what I was saying. Didn't know the Shaykh spoke about the issue! I take the assumption that it is in the 2-volume fataawaa set on tahaarah and salaah.

zarah

Islam
Staff member
Question:
Hanafis are often criticised for not touching toes in congregational prayer (by Salafis), who point to the hadith ( I don't know it off-hand). I understand that it's not the hadith that is being questioned, but the interpretation.

This is specifically a problem for women, as we have to keep our feet close together, according to our madhab. Please send me details as I am trying to put this across to a salafi sister.

Answer:

In the name of Allah the Inspirer of truth.

The following which is an excerpt from the 3rd edition of Fiqh al-Imam [currently under publication] will insha Allah give more insight into the issue of joining the feet which has caused great confusion.

There is a hadith of Sunan Abi Dawud which describes the Companions joining their feet with each other to form orderly rows. Abu ‘l-Qasim al-Jadali reports:

I heard Nu‘man ibn Bashir t relate that the Messenger e faced the people and instructed, “Straighten your rows. By Allah, you should straighten your rows or else Allah will create disagreement between your hearts.” Nu’man ibn Bashir then states, “I saw each person join his shoulders with the next persons and his knees and ankles with the next persons” (Sunan Abi Dawud1:104).

This is one of the hadiths which is put forward as evidence by those who assert that each person’s feet should be joined with the next persons, during congregation. Some of them are overly particular about this, and if someone standing next to them happen to draw their feet inwards then these people widens their legs even more to maintain the contact. They continuously criticise those who do not leave a wide gap between their feet as though thesunna method is only what they claim.

However, their attempts to substantiate their point through the above or similar hadiths are in vain, for a number of simple reasons.

(1) The words which actually describe the joining of the feet are not the words of the Messenger e, but are the words of the narrator, i.e. his observation. Hence, that portion of the narration is not a statement of the Messenger e himself [marfu‘]. The narrator is the one who describes the reaction of the Companions present at the time to the command and warning of the Messenger e. In fact, this type of an observation added by the narrator is not even found in the majority of narrations that emphasise orderly rows. Hence, it becomes quite clear that the Messenger e did not command that the feet be joined together. He merely commanded that the lines be orderly, and the Companions employed this method of joining their feet and shoulders together to fulfil that.

(2) The hadith merely tells us about the behaviour of the Companions before the prayer had begun. In other words, to comply with the instruction of the Messenger e they attempted to form a straight line by joining their shoulders and feet together before the prayer commenced. No where in the hadith does it indicate that this was also done during the prayer. It states that the Messenger e turned towards them to instruct them in this regard, which proves that this activity took place prior to the beginning of prayer. Whether this arrangement was continued throughout the prayer or not is not mentioned in the narrations.

(3) If for the sake of argument, we were to accept that the joining of the feet was maintained throughout the prayer, a number of questions would arise. For one, it would be enquired whether the feet should be joined together in all postures of the prayer or only during the standing posture [qiyam]? If the answer is that it is required only during the standing posture, then the question would be, What is the evidence for that? Why is this arrangement confined to the standing posture only and not required in any other posture? If the answer is that it is necessary in all postures of prayer, then the question would be, How will people in each row go about joining their feet and shoulders together whilst in prostration or in the sitting posture? As is clear, it would be quite impossible to achieve that.

Moreover, if the counter-argument is that it is only necessary to have the feet together while standing up because it is difficult to do so in the other postures of prayer, then the answer to that would be, it is also very difficult, and sometimes quite inconvenient, for many people to ensure this joiningarrangement during the standing posture as well, just as it is in other postures.

(4) If it is considered necessary to join the shoulders and feet together on account of the above hadith, then why have the knees been excluded? As is mentioned in the above narration of Sunan Abi Dawud that the Companions joined their knees together, it should also be treated as an obligation throughout the prayer. However, one must be warned that standing even for a short while with one’s knees joined to the next persons can be quite painful, in fact impossible in some cases, when there is significant difference in the size of the two people standing next to each other.

(5) Another interpretation of this hadith is that the narrator Nu‘man ibn Bashir only intended to describe how the Companions attempted to form extremely straight rows at the instructions of the Messenger e, and not that they actually joined their feet, shoulders and ankles together. It is for this reason that the title of a chapter in Sahih al-Bukhari ‘Chapter on the Joining of the Shoulders and Feet Together Whilst Forming the Rows’ has been classified by Hafiz Ibn Hajar to be based on exaggeration. He writes in his commentary Fath al-Bari,

[Imam Bukhari’s] reason for choosing this specific title is to exaggerate (mubalagha) the importance of straightening the rows and filling the gaps in between. (Fath al-Bari2:247)

This means that the narration is not to be taken literally. Imam Shawkani, who is constantly referred to by those who prefer not to follow a school of thought in Islamic jurisprudence, has not taken it for its literal interpretation either. He writes in his bookNayl al-awtar:

[The statement of the Companion] means, place the parts of the body [shoulders, etc.] in line with each other, so that the shoulder of each person performing prayer is in level with the shoulder of the next person. This way everyone’s shoulders, knees and feet will be in a single straight line (Nayl al-awtar3:65*).

In clear words, this indicates that the real reason for joining the shoulders and other parts, was to straighten the rows, not that the joining itself is an obligatory act.

(6) Anas t has further stated in a narration of Ma‘mar which Ibn Hajar has recorded in his Fath al-Bari,

If I were to attempt this [joining the shoulders and feet together] with anybody today, they would scurry away like restive mules (Fath al-Bari 2:247).

It is apparent from this statement, that even the Companions did not continue this practise after the demise of the Messenger e. If it had been a continuous action of the Messenger e [sunna mustamirra] the Companions would never have abandoned it, let alone speak of it in such a manner.

(7) Once it is established that the primary reason for the Companions joining their feet together was to achieve perfect order in their rows, it can be easily understood that this joining of the feet is not required any longer, since in most of themasjids and places of worship today, the lines are well marked on the carpets, marble, and floor coverings. The worshippers by standing together with their heels on the markings will automatically come together in perfectly straight rows. There is no need to be so particular in joining the feet together to achieve this goal, let alone consider it the actual goal.

For the entire discussion see Fiqh al-Imam: Key Proofs in Hanafi Fiqh, soon to be published insha Allah.

Wassalam
Abdurrahman ibn Yusuf

brother are talking about when standing you should keep a gap between both your foot...:confused:

:wasalam:

Globalpeace

Banned
Sisters & joinin Ankle-to-Ankle

W-Salam,

A sister recently told me that at a JIMAS convention they were forced to join ankle-to-ankle when making rows so that's why I had to dig the Fatwa up!

I have posted the Fatwa BUT not the Story as what happened & prompted the Shaykh to issue this Fatwa!

Its Hillarious!

brother are talking about when standing you should keep a gap between both your foot...:confused:

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
I'll bring you the ahaadeeth inshaa Allah, busy "trying" to revise for an exam tomorrow. I don't get why people jump to conclusions (not you) that the salafis are the ones who criticise. Most people I know who bark about issues, not in a sensible manner, lacking wisdom, are people of kharijee/takfeeri/extreme ideologies!

My post was clear, i mentioned that some neglect joining the shoulders and others their feet. One of the Hunufa Imams (Ibn `Abidayn) himself said that n congregational prayer, one should join the ranks, but in a solo prayer, than one should bring his feet closer together.

And yes we have all seen those who are near enough to doing the "splits" in their salaah (by stretching the feet so wide), as i said it is as if one foot is in Arfica and one is in Asia. Are they playing Twister lol? But equally as disturbing (for me) is that when you do join a row, the one next to you moves his foot and starts drifting away the minute you join the row!

W-Salam,

A sister recently told me that at a JIMAS convention they were forced to join ankle-to-ankle when making rows so that's why I had to dig the Fatwa up!

I have posted the Fatwa BUT not the Story as what happened & prompted the Shaykh to issue this Fatwa!

Its Hillarious!

Interesting lol. If the people stood moderately, that would be better for them (cos then you join naturally!).

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)

What do u do if the person next to u tuck his feet in or try to join ur toes and not the ankles???

You cannot be advising him at that moment right??
The imam would have start the prayer by then

Globalpeace

Banned
Punch Him!

Asslamo Allaikum,

The story goes...

The guy decided to join his ankle to Shaykh Uthaymeen (RA)'s ankle in the Masjid of the Prophet (Sallaho Alaihe Wassallam) so he PUNCHED him on the Chest & said, "What are you doing"?

Try that, next time... :SMILY335:

What do u do if the person next to u tuck his feet in or try to join ur toes and not the ankles???

You cannot be advising him at that moment right??
The imam would have start the prayer by then

zarah

Islam
Staff member
W-Salam,

Its Hillarious!

Once I was praying Friday prayers in the mosque and the Some sisters told me to join feet to feet with other sisters so something like the satan can not come in between...(I don`t know if that makes sense,but thats the way i was told....:confused: )