A fantastic weekend, alhamdulillah

DanyalSAC

Asalaamu alaikum -

Here in Sacramento we've had our 8th Annual Conference; the subject this year was "And the Qur'an is a proof for you or against you". We've had three days of spectacular lectures on the Qur'an and the influence it has in our lives.

Last night they called up 3 reverts, myself and 2 of my brothers, to discuss what effect the Qur'an has had on us as converts. I wasn't nervous sitting in front of an estimated turn out of about 400 brothers and sisters.

The gymnasium was converted into a bazaar with food and drinks from around the world cooked by the community, and thobe/abaya stalls as well as book stalls. They split the bazaar hours - 90 minutes for brothers, 90 minutes for sisters to keep from mingling.

Just had to share...its been so wonderful Alhamdulillah!

Here is the flier showing the list of guest shayuk speakers.

Ma salaam!

conference2010eflyer.jpg

alf2

Islam is a way of life
That sounds seriously awesome, lol. I would have been nervous too! Actually, I would have been too nervous, so masha allah for your courage. Not everyone could do that.

Salam2You

Lil' Muslimah
Salam!

MashaAllah brother great courage indeed!

Thank Allah that the fun you had will never end, here and the hereafter. Ameen!

DanyalSAC

Thank you for your replies; I learned much during this weekend.

One of the points that hit home was how important it is to learn how to read the Qur'an. Sh Yaser Birjas pointed this out by discussing how so many people nowadays pop in a CD or turn on their iPod and listen to the Qur'an as they work or clean house or drive in their car. This is a wonderful thing to do, and he didn't say anything bad about it, but he did point out that the first thing said to our Prophet salallahu alayhi wa salaam was "READ!", not "LISTEN!".

Learning how to read the Qur'an is my goal for this year, inshallah.

ximkoyra

Mustapha Elturk is the imam of the masjid I often go to. That's pretty cool

Good to know you're doing well!