A husband's responsibility

DanyalSAC

Asalaamu alaikum -

I know in Islam it is the husband's responsibility to care for his wife and children. Food, clothing, shelter/housing, etc. But what about the "non-necessary" stuff?

Lets say my wife wants a better car, though the one she has is in perfectly good condition. Or if she wants to go back to college. She wants to fly back home to visit her sister and mother. She wants exercise equipment in the house so she can get her work out on without leaving the home.

I understand that I need to care for my dependents. But where does one draw the line from a "need" to a "luxury"? And what should she be expected to provide for herself?

Thanks!
D

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
:salam2:wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu

akhi fi she asks for a better car,house,clothes although what she requires is being fulilled then you have all the right to reject her coz it lack of such things donot prevent her from breathing the fresh air:)

however that's just an opnion.here is a fatwa that explains the her rights.hope this helps:)

Praise be to Allaah.

Islam has enjoined upon the husband duties towards his wife, and vice versa, and among these duties are some which are shared by both husband and wife.

We will mention – by the help of Allaah – some of the texts of the Qur’aan and Sunnah which have to do with the duties of the spouses towards one another, quoting also from the commentaries and views of the scholars.

Firstly:

The rights of the wife which are hers alone:

The wife has financial rights over her husband, which are the mahr (dowry), spending and accommodation.

And she has non-financial rights, such as fair division between co-wives, being treated in a decent and reasonable manner, and not being treated in a harmful way by her husband.

1. Financial rights

(a) The mahr (dowry). This is the money to which the wife is entitled from her husband when the marriage contract is completed or when the marriage is consummated. It is a right which the man is obliged to pay to the woman. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And give to the women (whom you marry) their Mahr (obligatory bridal-money given by the husband to his wife at the time of marriage) with a good heart” [al-Nisaa’ 4:4]

The prescription of the mahr demonstrates the seriousness and importance of the marriage-contract, and is a token of respect and honour to the woman.

The mahr is not a condition or essential part of the marriage-contract, according to the majority of fuqahaa’; rather it is one of the consequences of the contract. If the marriage-contract is done without any mention of the mahr, it is still valid, according to the consensus of the majority, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“There is no sin on you, if you divorce women while yet you have not touched (had sexual relation with) them, nor appointed unto them their Mahr (bridal-money given by the husband to his wife at the time of marriage)” [al-Baqarah 2:236]

The fact that divorce is permitted before consummation of the marriage or before stipulating the mahr indicates that it is permissible not to stipulate the mahr in the marriage-contract.

If the mahr is stipulated, it becomes obligatory upon the husband; if it is not stipulated, then he must give the mahr that is given to women of similar status to his wife.

(b) Spending. The scholars of Islam are agreed that it is obligatory for husbands to spend on their wives, on the condition that the wife make herself available to her husband. If she refuses him or rebels, then she is not entitled to that spending.

The reason why it is obligatory to spend on her is that the woman is available only to her husband, because of the marriage contract, and she is not allowed to leave the marital home except with his permission. So he has to spend on her and provide for her, and this is in return for her making herself available to him for his pleasure.

What is meant by spending is providing what the wife needs of food and accommodation. She has the right to these things even if she is rich, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“but the father of the child shall bear the cost of the mother’s food and clothing on a reasonable basis” [al-Baqarah 2:233]

“Let the rich man spend according to his means; and the man whose resources are restricted, let him spend according to what Allaah has given him” [al-Talaaq 65:7]

From the Sunnah:

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to Hind bint ‘Utbah – the wife of Abu Sufyaan – who had complained that he did not spend on her: “Take what is sufficient for you and your children, on a reasonable basis.”

It was narrated that ‘Aa’ishah said: “Hind bint ‘Utbah, the wife of Abu Sufyaan, entered upon the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and said, ‘O Messenger of Allaah, Abu Sufyaan is a stingy man who does not spend enough on me and my children, except for what I take from his wealth without his knowledge. Is there any sin on me for doing that?’ The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, ‘Take from his wealth on a reasonable basis, only what is sufficient for you and your children.’” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5049; Muslim, 1714)
It was narrated from Jaabir that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said in his Farewell Sermon:

“Fear Allah concerning women! Verily you have taken them on the security of Allah, and intercourse with them has been made lawful unto you by words of Allah. You too have rights over them, and that they should not allow anyone to sit on your bed [i.e., not let them into the house] whom you do not like. But if they do that, you can chastise them but not severely. Their rights upon you are that you should provide them with food and clothing in a fitting manner” (Narrated by Muslim, 1218)

(c) Accommodation. This is also one of the wife’s rights, which means that her husband should prepare for her accommodation according to his means and ability. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Lodge them (the divorced women) where you dwell, according to your means” [al-Talaaq 65:6]

2. Non-financial rights

(i) Fair treatment of co-wives. One of the rights that a wife has over her husband is that she and her co-wives should be treated equally, if the husband has other wives, with regard to nights spent with them, spending and clothing.

(ii) Kind treatment. The husband must have a good attitude towards his wife and be kind to her, and offer her everything that may soften her heart towards him, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“and live with them honourably” [al-Nisaa’ 4:19]

“And they (women) have rights (over their husbands as regards living expenses) similar (to those of their husbands) over them (as regards obedience and respect) to what is reasonable” [al-Baqarah 2:228]

From the Sunnah:

It was narrated that Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘Be kind to women.’”(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 3153; Muslim, 1468).

There follow examples of the kind treatment of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) towards his wives – for he is the best example:

1. It was narrated from Zaynab bint Abi Salamah that Umm Salamah said: “I got my menses when I was lying with the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) under a single woollen sheet. I slipped away and put on the clothes I usually wore for menstruation. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to me, ‘Have you got your menses?’ I said, ‘Yes.’ Then he called me and made me lie with him under the same sheet.”

She said: And she told me that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to kiss her when he was fasting, and the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and I used to do ghusl to cleanse ourselves from janaabah from one vessel.(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 316; Muslim, 296)

2. It was narrated that ‘Urwah ibn al-Zubayr said: “ ‘Aa’ishah said: ‘By Allaah, I saw the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) standing at the door of my apartment when the Abyssinians were playing with their spears in the Mosque of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). He covered me with his cloak so that I could watch their games, then he stood there for my sake until I was the one who had had enough. So you should appreciate the fact that young girls like to have fun.’” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 443; Muslim, 892)

3. It was narrated from ‘Aa’ishah the Mother of the Believers (may Allaah be pleased with her) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to pray sitting down; he would recite Qur’aan when he was sitting down, then when there were thirty or forty aayahs left, he would stand up and recite them standing up. Then he did rukoo’, then sujood; then he would do likewise in the second rak’ah. When he had finished his prayer, he would look, and if I was awake he would talk with me, and if I was asleep he would lie down.

(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 1068)

(c) Not harming one’s wife.

This is one of the basic principles of Islam. Because harming others is haraam in the case of strangers, it is even more so in the case of harming one’s wife.

It was narrated from ‘Ubaadah ibn al-Saamit that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) ruled, “There should be no harming nor reciprocating harm.” (Narrated by Ibn Maajah,, 2340)

This hadeeth was classed as saheeh by Imaam Ahmad, al-Haakim, Ibn al-Salaah and others. See Khalaasat al-Badr al-Muneer, 2/438.

Among the things to which the Lawgiver drew attention in this matter is the prohibition of hitting or beating in a severe manner.

It was narrated from Jaabir that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said in his Farewell Sermon:

“Fear Allah concerning women! Verily you have taken them on the security of Allah, and intercourse with them has been made lawful unto you by words of Allah. You too have rights over them, and that they should not allow anyone to sit on your bed [i.e., not let them into the house] whom you do not like. But if they do that, you can chastise them but not severely. Their rights upon you are that you should provide them with food and clothing in a fitting manner” (Narrated by Muslim, 1218)

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/10680/responsibilities of a husband....

you can refer to the fatwa to see your rights too.that way you'll kno when she's crossing her line inshallah:)

may ALLAh help you akhi

revert2007

Love Fishing
Assalamualikum.
It is true a husband is obliged to provide everything that a wife needs in order for her survival.At the same time Islam teaches us to live moderate life and spending over what you can't afford is not good.If a husband can afford,there is nothing worng in providing what the wife needs in order to make her happy.

A good Muslim woman should live her life acording to what the husband can provide and do not force him to grant a luxury life when he can't afford.A good Muslim woman should always remember that this dunya is not eternal and thsi life in dunya is just a journey and all of us are traveler and we should live in this dunya according to what Allah has granted.

I personally know a few people who get jealous over other women's property and other women's lives.They are lucky because their husbands are rich.But if we are good solehah woman,we should be happy with what our husbands grant us.

The greatest example is the life of our beloved prophet Muhammad s.a.w and his wives.They did not live a luxurious life.They live according to what is sufficient for their survival.

Allah knows the best.
Assalamualikum

DanyalSAC

Thank you. That's about what I thought. I was asked by a sister once "What would you tell your wife if she wanted you to buy her a treadmill?" I replied by saying I would ask her why she requires a treadmill... and then point out that the 300 spent on a treadmill could be 300 put towards our Hajj.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
:salam2: akhi Danyal,

I think in the modern day age where most of us lead sedentary & highly comfortable lives coupled with consuming high calorie and rich diet, exercise of some sort is essential.

And having a treadmill in the house would be good for the ladies as they can exercise at their personal convenience and not have to enroll in fitness clubs and what not. Most of the common chronic diseases deal with the heart nowadays. Exercising on a treadmill can reduce blood pressure and eliminate the fat accumulated in our arteries and else where. It is a very economical , convenient and easy way of keeping fit.

In Islam, our body has rights over us too. Therefore we shouldn't neglect or undermine exercise or other physical activity which helps us stay healthy and in shape.

Now I am going to offer my opinion. Based on my financial situation I would have replied the following to the sister's question :

1) My current financial situation doesn't allow me to spend on such things. Rather I can only manage/pay for day to day running of a family. Investments in things such as treadmills is beyond my reach at the moment.

2) I would be ready to invest in a basic treadmill, that gets the job done. I can't afford to invest in a fancy top of the range model. I am also saving up money to go for Hajj/Umrah.

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

Mubina_91

Muslimah 4 life..

Assalamu'3alaikum Brother. Well, we all know in Islam, a husbands duty towards his wife, is to take care of her, respond to her needs, providing for family and so on. When it comes to the love for material objects, better see if its neccessary. You say something about a Treadmill, if she asks for this then no problem, there is benefit to the Health. I suggest you speak to her, sink some islamic knowledge in her. And Inshallah she wont have so much desire for such a Luxury Life. Me being a Sister, i can say, 'the More you desire, then you want more, but when its all gone, you realise little was enough.
I hope Allah makes our hearts firm and Strong AMEEN. Remember, we are only Traveling day by day, little do we know what and where ones end will be.

Mubina_91

Assalamu'3alaikum Brother. Well, we all know in Islam, a husbands duty towards his wife, is to take care of her, respond to her needs, providing for family and so on. When it comes to the love for material objects, better see if its neccessary. You say something about a Treadmill, if she asks for this then no problem, there is benefit to the Health. I suggest you speak to her, sink some islamic knowledge in her. And Inshallah she wont have so much desire for such a Luxury Life. Me being a Sister, i can say, 'the More you desire, then you want more, but when its all gone, you realise little was enough.
I hope Allah makes our hearts firm and Strong AMEEN. Remember, we are only Traveling day by day, little do we know what and where ones end will be.

abu'muhammad

Asalaamu alaikum -

I know in Islam it is the husband's responsibility to care for his wife and children. Food, clothing, shelter/housing, etc. But what about the "non-necessary" stuff?

Lets say my wife wants a better car, though the one she has is in perfectly good condition. Or if she wants to go back to college. She wants to fly back home to visit her sister and mother. She wants exercise equipment in the house so she can get her work out on without leaving the home.

I understand that I need to care for my dependents. But where does one draw the line from a "need" to a "luxury"? And what should she be expected to provide for herself?

Thanks!
D

well to be honest, I don't think that any sort of things are pleasurous, although counted by us.important thing is we like our lives and happy with that. ever its true that demands always rise and not halt.so may be one thing is satisfied, the other pops out.

so the general way as Islaam teaches is to live with moderation and contentment. Its fine that to have fanciful things in life but never at the cost of living extravagant or undesirable self-commitments.

And alhamdulillah we have examples of fatima radhi Allaahu anha, other sahaabiyaats who led their lives in utmost bad financial situations. further the same is for sahaba, leaving some whom Allaah gave wealth from His side.

with respect to our needs we should be careful of dealing with them. most times what happens is that we do big financial commitments and drop in loans, haraam interest payments, takes money from relatives but can't return in time. never good.

some people may earn 30K+ a month in my country still they find it hard to settle month dues because of all such unnecessities and invented luxuries. jut to say when men earns he should draw the limits himself And run the family as he feels.

kayleigh

I think the treadmill was just an example... even though everyone is right - a treadmill is a good idea and would be cheaper than health membership costs in the long run.

Hopefully you'll find a wife who is reasonable about finances. There's nothing wrong with having nice things in life as long as you don't place too much value on them and don't live above your means.

Tariq Rahman

Practising Muslim
Assalamu alaikum (May peace & mercy of Allah (SWT) be on all of you)

Brother as a fact that we're living in 21st century where this world is a war place and humanity is being killed everyone is living for them self's and much worried about once own comfort and wishes, this is something we can't run away from....I think if you come across any situation like you have presented the best way is to deliver her a little bit of knowledge about our responsibilities as a muslim and Ummat-e-Muhammmadia we are here in this world to strive for success in next world which is eternal and become an example as a good slave of Allah (SWT) in this world. This is not a job of over night because in this 21st century the biggest warrior is the one who kill their desire's & wishes. In every human being's heart there is Love for Allah (SWT) and his last Messenger Muhammed (SAW). Explain her logically that the wealth which we receive by the blessings of Allah (SWT) is not only for us it has rights of many poor people and our duty is to make sure that wealth reach them and how this is beneficial to us, explain her the life style of Hazrat Bibi Fatima (AS) beloved daughter of our Prophet Muhammed (SAW) and his wives they could have gotten every world's comfort if they wish but they carried a very normal life explain her the reason I'm sure she'll realize whatever you have from which a normal life can be led is enough for her and may Allah (SWT) bless you with more wealth even then she'll rather use that for charity in the name of Allah (SWT).

Patience & Nobal character is the route to every success.

Jazak Allah Khair..
May Allah (SWT) forgive all our mistakes/sins and guide us to the straight path, the path of those who have received his grace Ameen!

DanyalSAC

I think the treadmill was just an example... even though everyone is right - a treadmill is a good idea and would be cheaper than health membership costs in the long run.

Hopefully you'll find a wife who is reasonable about finances. There's nothing wrong with having nice things in life as long as you don't place too much value on them and don't live above your means.

You are correct, its an example of something that is (in MY humble opinion and it is my pocketbook) not strictly required. I walk to my masjid, 20 minutes each direction, which is great exercise. I don't require a treadmill. Its my experience that they get used for two weeks and then end up being something that holds clothing. I live in a nice neighborhood, alhamdulillah. Walking is a perfectly valid option.

Munawar

Striving for Paradise
:salam2:

Brother Danyal,
Sorry... I am hijacking your thread just to post something.

I saw a thread which was about women in hell. Thankfully the mods have deleted it because when I tried to post my reply, I couldn't.
But it must have left some impression on several people, specially sisters. So I will post here my reply for that thread. I am not opening a new thread because I think it is not needed, and I am lazy.

Those who did not see that deleted thread please don't worry because it was not worth seeing. Those who saw it please consider this as its last post.
Thanks.

i dont know why these type of topics are made again and again and again..
now what is the use of such article and directed in such a way that one will understand that it is against women, yes while posting such articles please elaborate each and every hadith because lot of people here are just learning and these kind of posts will increase the doubt without the proper understanding of the wisdom behind each hadith if they are not elaborated in detail.

:wasalam:

There are reports after reports that the so-called Pakistani Taliban or PTT (Pakistan Tehreek-e-Taliban) are an Indian RAW plus American CIA outfit, based and trained in Afghanistan where India has 28 Consulates. There are not even 28 roads in Afghanistan, LOL, so why 28 consulates? And most of them near Pakistani borders. Also why they use the word Taliban in their name. Taliban means students. The real Afghan Taliban were a true original Afghan Student movement against the civil war which erupted in Afghanistan after the Soviet army left that country without any government. They use the word Taliban in their name so as is to malign the real Afghan Taliban and also Islam.

These so-called PAKISTANI TALIBAN commit all kinds of crimes on the name of Islam and by USING THE NAME TALIBAN. They are now openly considered agents of foreign powers. Senior analysts say that their main purpose is to create hate against the religious people within Pakistan, so that those non religious clean-shaved Muslims start hating the religious and bearded pious Muslims. So you can see, this is clearly a plot.

Now coming to TurnToIslam I have seen posts after posts which can be categorized as TurnOffFromIslam.

I don't know for sure if this is by design or by mistake or by stupidity or by chance, but you can identify certain individual who love to post these kinds of material which provide no good information to anyone, and is basically a turn-off switch for any person who has little knowledge of Islam.

This is on the Internet, the whole world can see what is being posted and can use it against Islam too. We don't know the validity of the material they post. The only thing we know is their screen names, but we don't know who they really are, what is their level of knowledge, and most importantly... what are their intensions.

It is really sad that we allow them to do these things.

:wasalam:

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Asalaamu alaikum -

Thanks!
D

Wa Allaicumu Sallam wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu

Every husband and every wife, every familly should give their best in helping to eachothers on this world and pleasing to Allah. Every Muslim and every Muslimah should learn and practise modesty in their life, becouse this is very important characteristic of every believer. The line between a "need" and "luxury", is the line between modesty and desires which are too much ocupated with the beauties of this world, what does not mean we can not enjoy in the beauties which Allah has given us from His mercy, but what means that we should use them on reasonable way and in harmony with our possibilities.

Modesty is one of the noble moral characteristics, special characteristic of Prophets , God-fearing believers, people of good faith and for Allah's sincere workers. Modesty is gentleness and calmness, dignity and moderation, face and smile brightly and the characteristics of those who work for Allah's religion to success. Modesty is humility towards Allah ve te'ala, born in the heart, which recognizes Allah, His Lord, the heart that knows His beautiful names and His Greatness.

We need to learn to be gratefull to Allah on everything what He has given to us, sometimes even more then we deserve, and that is all becouse He never forgets on us SubhanAllah, wifes should learn how to be gratefull to their husbands for even little that they bring in home from their work, children should be gratefull to their fathers and mothers becouse they know that everything what they do is only for them, familly members should learn to respect each others work and to choose what is the priority in every moment. For example maybe my priorities are not the same as yours, but if we talk more about them we will be able to decide what is the real priority "new shoes for me or new book for your University".

There are many consequence for the one who does not have the characteristic of modesty in his heart, deeds and desires. The one who does not have modesty toward himselfe, tranquility and humility, that is the one who is on the verge of ruin, far from any joy, calm, tranquility, far from Allah. Like he is not aware that he rises worthless and leaves what is precious.

May Allah increase modesty in our hearts and may we take more care about the needs of our soul, may we be humble toward believers, help them in accomplishing their needs, to be gentle and patient with them. Ameen summa ameen

Assalamu Allaicum wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
You are correct, its an example of something that is (in MY humble opinion and it is my pocketbook) not strictly required. I walk to my masjid, 20 minutes each direction, which is great exercise. I don't require a treadmill. Its my experience that they get used for two weeks and then end up being something that holds clothing. I live in a nice neighborhood, alhamdulillah. Walking is a perfectly valid option.

I can completely understand where you are coming from. And I didn't realise at first that 'treadmill' was only an example. It is quite an interesting question by the sister as owning a treadmill in present times is just becoming a 'must have' as more and more people suffer from heart disease and diabetes etc. But I can understand why you think that it is not a necessity.

I just wanted to mention that walking 20 minutes each direction doesn't do much for your heart. Only when the heart is pushed out of its comfort zone and forced to pump out blood to all parts of your body at a good rate (it is somewhere between 55-90% of the highest heartbeat rate possible for your age), does your heart gain something from the physical excursion.

Also, in light physical excursion activities like walking, the body mostly burns up the carbohydrates you have consumed in the past 24 hours. The fat reserve in your body is spent after 30-40 minutes in a moderate training routine or after 20-25 minutes in a vigorous training routine. Therefore walking doesn't help you burn up a lot of fats.

The only thing light walking activity is good that it works your joints and helps your muscles stay in shape to a certain extent.

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

When I was a child we were told to use common sense. The line between need and luxury is a boulder. If the husband comes home and he has been fired from his job. the wife goes to work. If the roof is leaking there is no need for a treadmill.
I pity the sisters who would be so unaware of not knowing the differences. That is a sign of a spoilt child. The school I graduated from is simple. You want it earn it. A few blisters on your hands never hurt anyone.
End of subject.

saifkhan

abd-Allah
Saalam alaikum wa rahmatu-lla

ya akhi, love her more{only way of getting away fo our responsibilities...lol joking bro}, that will work, in sha' Allah....

anyways, try to make her understand, try to find the wisdom behind simplicity with calm and convincing conversation{I know you are so, in sha' Allah}. try to make her understand, of course she should not force as she's a good Muslimah and you should not force. Husband-wife relationship is a great relationship, its about sharing I'd say, rather than compromising. when we say about compromising, I think this word doesnt suit this relationship. I'm not yet married, but I know, and you know that i know that you know...come on, you know and you dont have to ask us..brother.

though husband is obliged to meet her every need, but basic needs, and the wife also needs to be understand.

my Allah subhanahu wa ta'la shower boundless mercy and barakah on your family and may Allah azza wa jal forgive us all.

Jazakum Allahu khair
wassalamu alaikum wa rahmatu-llah