A Letter to the West That Raised Me

BinteShafi

Left long ago
:salam2:

(This letter might have already been posted by someone else. I just found it worth sharing)

A Letter to the West That Raised Me
By Yasmin Mogahed
July 3, 2005

Growing up, you read me the Ugly Duckling. And for years I believed that was
me. I am a woman-that ugly duckling among men. For so long you taught me I
was nothing more than a bad copy of the standard.

I couldn't run as fast or lift as much. I didn't make the same money and I cried too often. I grew up in a man's world where I didn't belong.

And when I couldn't be him, I wanted only to please him. I put on your makeup and wore your short skirts. I gave my life, my body, my dignity, for the cause of being pretty. I knew that no matter what I did, I was worthy only to the degree that I could please and be beautiful for my master. And so I spent my life on the cover of Cosmo and gave my body for you to sell.

I was a slave, but you taught me I was free. I was your object, but youswore it was success. You taught me that my purpose in life was to be ondisplay, to attract and be beautiful for men. You had me believe that my
body was created to market your cars. And you raised me to think I was an ugly duckling.

Islam tells me I'm a swan. I'm different-it's meant to be that way. And my body, my soul, were created for something more.

Allah says in the Qur'an: [O mankind, We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female and made you into nations and tribes, that you may know
one another (not that you may despise each other).Verily, the most honored of you in the sight of God is the one who is most righteous]
(Al-Hujurat 9:13).

So I am honored. But it is not by my relationship to men. My value as a woman is not measured by the size of my waist or the number of men who like me. My worth as a human being is measured on a higher scale: a scale of righteousness and piety. And my purpose in life-despite what the fashion magazines say-is something more sublime than just looking good for men.

And so Allah tells me to cover myself, to hide my beauty, and to tell the world that I'm not here to please men with my body; I'm here to please Allah. Allah elevates the dignity of a woman's body by commanding that it be respected and covered, shown only to the deserving-only to the man I marry.

So to those who wish to "liberate" me, I have only one thing to say:

Thanks, but no thanks.

I'm not here to be on display. And my body is not for public consumption. I will not be reduced to an object or a pair of legs to sell shoes. I'm a soul, a mind, a servant of God. My worth is defined by the beauty of my soul, my heart, my moral character. So I won't worship your beauty standards, and I don't submit to your fashion sense. My submission is to something higher.

With my veil I put my faith on display-rather than my beauty. My value as a human is defined by my relationship with Allah, not by my looks. So I cover
the irrelevant. And when you look at me, you don't see a body. You view me
only for what I am: a servant of my Creator.

So you see, as a Muslim woman, I've been liberated from a silent kind of
bondage. I don't answer to the slaves of God on earth.I answer to their King.

:wasalam:

hana*

thats beautiful, thanks for posting binteshafi- its so true- If only the West would comprehend.

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
Assalamualaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh

MashaAllah what a beautiful post! It sure is worth read by all women whether a muslim or a non muslim.
Jazakallahu khair kathiran.
May we be among the pious and solehah muslimah aminn

Wasalam

rayray

Wow:redface: When the reason why Muslim women wear Hijab is put this way, I understand. Very persuasive....

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
Assalaamu alaikum wahramatuAllah wabarakatuh...:D

subhanaAllaah.....she said it all:)......may Allaah rewerd you for sharing:D

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Your letter reeks with the truth. And what makes it worse is that the so called women's liberation movement was deliberate to break families apart. Malcolm X warned everyone. It turned women into whores.
Your post needs to be studied. This era of the post feminist movement has left women confused and alone. I pray that young Muslim girls do not fall into the trap of refusing marriage, which is good and right, to pursue a life of chasing a dollar while being second to the corporate world.
Women have been turned into objects.

But your letter also points out that the Muslim world has yet another responsibility to uphold. What about the women who are running back to Islam and have nothing to hold on to. Our masjids in the west do not address this. Simple case in point..there are many young girls attending high schools. They cover. Yet, they are subjected to the fitna of the duyna. Our Muslim run schools are too expensive for many a single mother to afford. And I can go on and on.

Yours is an important post and I thank you.

shaheeda35

strive4Jannah
:salam2:
:mashallah:very beautiful. We should not be slaves to society but to Allah.

Jazakallahu Khairan.:hearts:

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
Masha'allah- that's a True muslimah wallahi.,,.Jazakallah for sharing~

BinteShafi

Left long ago
Asslam u Alaikum sisters,

Jazakom Allahu khayra for reading. Barak Allah feekum.

I agree with the points raised by sister Mirajmom. Unfortunately a large portion of Muslim women are being victimised of this "Western concept of liberlization" We really need to reform ourselves, our sisters, and daughters and society in large. WE ourselves need to create awareness.... noone else will come and teach US.

Thank you,

:wasalam: