Aisha Khan: $10k reward for missing college student

Kakorot

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-college-student-drunk-man-assaulted-her.html

'We'll forgive her abductor... we just want her safe back home': Mother of missing college student pleads for daughter's return as FBI joins search

Aisha Khan, 19, was studying on campus when she disappeared Friday

Left a frantic phone message for her sister saying she had just been assaulted but was able to escape after slapping the man
When the sister came to find her, Aisha was gone

Family offering $10,000 reward for her return

FBI agents join 10 detectives and 50 Kansas police officers on the case

By MEGHAN KENEALLY
Last updated at 6:06 PM on 20th December 2011

The FBI has now joined the search for missing Aisha Khan, the 19-year-old Kansas college student who disappeared shortly after leaving a frantic phone message saying an intoxicated stranger had assaulted her.

Local police have put in over 400 man hours since she disappeared midday Friday, and her family spoke out publicly about their despair at a police press conference yesterday.*!

Aisha got married in July and her husband Waseem was also at the press conference, making his first public appearance since his teen bride disappeared. He maintained that they had a happy marriage and the police chief said there is 'no reason to believe that he is a suspect'.

‘She was my wife, so I know her better, more than somebody else,’ Waseem said. ‘She’s happy with me.’

Aisha's mother Fozia also appeared, begging for her teenage daughter's safe return.

‘Whoever has my daughter, would please just bring her safe back home,’ said Aisha’s mother Fozia Khan.

'We'll forgive him we just want her safe back home,' she continued, assuming that she was kidnapped by a man though no suspect has been officially identified.*!

Aisha, who is studying for her finals at the University of Kansas, disappeared late Friday morning after she was allegedly assaulted on a secluded picnic table at the Edwards Campus in Overland Park.

After running away from the man, she called her older sister Faiza and left a harrowing voicemail.*!

When her sister went to get her shortly after, all she found were her books and cell phone on Aisha’s favourite bench.*!

'My heart is like pounding. *!I've never got this scared in my life. *!Pick up your phones. I am freaking freaked out right now!'

'Oh my gosh it was so scary,' Aisha said in the message to Faiza.

Faiza listened to the message just minutes after it was left, and she tried calling Aisha back but she did not pick up her phone.

In the message, Aisha made it clear that she had slapped the man and run away. Reports differ as to whether she thought he smelt like alcohol or marijuana, but she was clear that he seemed intoxicated.

That did not provide much hope for Faiza after she drove to the spot where Aisha was studying at the Kansas University Edwards campus to find her sister's books and phone sitting on the table unattended.

Police have few new clues, but said that three construction workers saw a woman matching Aisha’s description walking off the campus by herself, but they could not confirm that it was her.
*!
Desperate parents: Amanat and Fozia Khan were at the police press conference and were visibly upset as they asked for prayers from supporters

‘There's so much we don't know about the case,’ said Overland Park police chief John Douglass.

Frantic: In her voicemail, Aisha said she had never been so scared in her life

‘What we’re going to do is we’re going to act on this as if it were an abduction. We’re putting resources into it to deal with it accordingly. If it turns out otherwise, then so be it,’ Mr Douglass continued.

Four FBI agents have joined the 10 police detectives, 50 police officers, and University of Kansas *!security guards are all looking for the teen.

The Kansas University campus does not have surveillance cameras, so that has not been helpful for police, but they have been canvassing the surrounding areas extensively.

Police on horseback have looked in nearby wooded areas, volunteers are passing out thousands of flyers, and investigators are looking over security footage of a gas station right next to the campus.

Aisha and Waseem live in the nearby neighborhood Olathe, and police have targeted Overland Park Municipal Golf Course, Quivira Park, and Stohl Memorial Park in their search.

'We have looked at videotapes of all the intersections. To date, we have seen absolutely nothing in that area,' Mr Douglass said.

A devout Muslim, Aisha’s disappearance has sparked an outpouring of support from Aisha’s family, friends, and the local Muslim community.

Her father Amanat also appeared and briefly spoke to press but was overwhelmed by emotion.

‘Please keep praying for us, we need help,’ he said fighting off tears. *!

Her devastated family is offering a $10,000 reward for clues of her whereabouts.

‘She's 19 years old, but not much more than a child. One of our own is missing and we need to find her,’ Mr Douglass said.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

InshaAllah she will be found soon.

Please little sisters do not sit alone anywhere; why sit on a bench in an isolated area on a chilly day.

lovefordeen

wa'alikum assalaam

the poor parents....the father can hardly speak..

what an unfortunate incident..i pray that they find her safe soon ...ameen

parents,please make sure you are always available atleast on the phone when your kids are away...

kayleigh

She was found and apparently was not abducted or held against her will. Don't know the details though.

Kakorot

In the previous article title the word 'Muslim' was not mentioned but now that she's found and it possibly was a run away - they mention 'Muslim' in the title.

It's like they're trying to link her disappearance with her being Muslim because she had an arranged marriage, which is common amongst Muslims. So now people will assume she ran away because of that, and so Islam will be blamed ONCE again.

This is stereotyping and next time something happens involving Muslims, no-one's going to take it seriously.

kayleigh

US missing persons cases are rarely picked up by news outlets outside of the US unless they're white and/or there's something scandalous about the case. So you're right - a UK site is only covering the case because she's Muslim.

However, I would argue that this has been about her being a Muslim since the very beginning. I do believe that she got more news coverage than a woman of color would typically get because she was Muslim IN THE FIRST PLACE, even if they rarely talked about her being Muslim. Missing persons cases involving people of color are literally NEVER covered in mainstream media. The amount of attention given to her from the beginning was highly, highly unusual.

Either way, the whole situation is really bizarre.