Dead meat?

vegangoth

Banned
The quran refers to "Dead meat" as meat that you have to avoid. But what is dead meat? I'm asuming that there is a special type of reason that certain meats are described as dead and not others even though a dead cow is technically dead meat.

ProudToBeaMuslim

The quran refers to "Dead meat" as meat that you have to avoid. But what is dead meat? I'm asuming that there is a special type of reason that certain meats are described as dead and not others even though a dead cow is technically dead meat.
Assalamualikum,

"Dead meat" technically refers to meat of animals that have been killed in the non Halal way, i.e, they have not been slaughtered according to the rules prescribed bythe Qur'an and the Sunnah , but just killed. eg-by hunting, (guns, arrows etc) and the remains of animals eaten by predatory animals. If you know exactly what halal meat is, you'll get the point.
Here's a link that may help: http://www.halalfoodauthority.co.uk/define.html
Check it out, it's pretty informative :)

Salaamalikum

Kakorot

basically meat that is dead already. so if the animal fell off a cliff and died, or died from a certain disease, or died naturally etc, then its forbidden to eat such meat.

AleahKoto

Allah will decide
Another term for dead meat is "roadkill" or animals that were killed by predators. The reasoning behind it, is you have no idea how long it has been there (how long bacteria has been growing), what kinds of diseases it may have received from a predatory animal and it was not drained of blood in the manner prescribed by Allah (swt). It is called "carrion" and is likened to eating scavenger animals. Scavenger type animals eat anything, and what they eat is not broken down in the body, so in essence you are eating whatever gunk they ate. Yuck.

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
In addition to the variations listed..dead meat also includes any miscarried fetus of an animal

Peace