Do Sikh's imitate Muslims??

Scotpak

Sikhism as most here will know is a minor Indian religion that is basically a combination of Hinduism and Islam though they're very sensitive towards this charge!!.I've often observed how they borrow many Islamic terms like Qurbani,Shaheed and Mashallah to name just a few but visit any Sikh site and the first thing they preach is that we're not Muslim's!!.That's like if we were to constantly tell the world that we're not Jews or Christians but everyone knows this anyway!!! :)

Their holy book the Granth that is NEVER a revelation contains many Quranic verses as well as poems by some Hindu's and Muslim's of yesteryear,interestingly they prostrate towards their Granth exactly like we do during salat as well as putting it to sleep every night yet false pride keeps them away from the ultimate truth!!.Perhaps out of an inferiority complex combined with hidden jealousy if not envy of Muslim history and the racial diversity it's followers enjoy many Sikh's are very hostile towards Muslim's yet love living in Muslim lands like Dubai and Malaysia!!:SMILY61:

I've recently had some debates with a few Sikh men only because they initiated dialogue and pleased to report that they were unable to defeat my claims thus they chose to discontinue in fear of outright defeat.I'd be interested to hear other people's experiences here with the Sikh's.

JD19

I noticed some similarities too.. but there are many hostilities...

Is it true they are to not eat halal food? I know they are not to drink or smoke, yet many sikhs are proud to out drink others as they drink heavily.

A Kashmiri

Introduction

Sikhism is a non-Semitic, Aryan, non-Vedic religion. It is a religion that has the sixth largest following in the world. Some consider it as an offshoot of Hinduism. It was founded by Guru Nanak at the end of the 15th century. It originated in the area of Pakistan and North West India called Punjab, meaning the land of the five rivers. Guru Nanak was born in a Kshatriya (warrior caste) Hindu family but was very strongly influenced by Islam and Muslims.

DEFINITION OF SIKH AND SIKHISM

The word ‘Sikh’ is derived from the word sisya meaning disciple or follower. Sikhism is a religion of ten Gurus, the first Guru being Guru Nanak and the tenth and the last being Guru Gobind Singh. The sacred book of Sikhism is Sri Guru Granth also called Adi Granth Sahib.

THE FIVE – ‘K’s

Every Sikh is supposed to keep the following five ‘K’s, which also serve to identify him as a Sikh:

Kesh – uncut hair.

Kanga – comb; used to keep the hair clean.

Kada – metal or steel bangle; for strength and self-restraint.

Kirpan – dagger; for self-defence.

Kaccha – special knee length underwear or under-drawer for agility

CONCEPT OF GOD IN SIKHISM

MULMANTRA: THE FUNDAMENTAL CREED OF SIKHISM

The best definition that any Sikh can give regarding the concept of God in Sikhism is to quote the Mulmantra – the fundamental creed of Sikhism, which occurs at the beginning of Sri Guru Granth Sahib.

It is mentioned in Sri Guru Granth Sahib, volume 1 Japuji, the first verse:

"There exists but one God, who is called The True, The Creator, Free from fear and hate, Immortal, Not begotten, Self-Existent, Great and Compassionate."

Sikhism is a monotheistic Religion

Sikhism enjoins its followers to practise strict monotheism. It believes in only One Supreme God who is, in the unmanifest form, called Ek Omkara.

In the manifest form He is called Omkara and has several attributes such as:

Kartar – The Creator
Akal – The Eternal
Sattanama – The Holy Name
Sahib – The Lord
Parvardigar – The Cherisher
Rahim – The Merciful
Karim – The Benevolent

He is also called Wahe Guru – the One true God.

Besides Sikhism being strictly monotheistic, it also does not believe in Avataravada – the doctrine of incarnation. Almighty God does not incarnate Himself in what is known as Avatara. Sikhism is also strongly against idol worship.

Guru Nanak was influenced by Sant Kabir

Guru Nanak was influenced by the sayings of Sant Kabir so much that several chapters of Sri Guru Granth Sahib contain couplets of Sant Kabir.

One of the famous couplets of Sant Kabir is:

"Dukh mein sumirana sabh karein
Sukh mein karein na koya
Jo sukh mein sumirana karein
To dukh kaye hoye?"

"In times of trouble, God is remembered by all
But none remembers Him during peace and happiness.
If God is remembered in good times of happiness
Why should trouble occur?"

Compare this with the following verse of the Qur’an:

"When some trouble toucheth man,
He crieth unto his Lord,
Turning to Him in repentance:
But when He bestoweth
A favour upon him
As from Himself,
(Man) doth forget what he cried
And prayed for before,
And he doth set up
Rivals unto Allah."
[Al-Qur’an 39:8]

The Sikh scriptures therefore emphasise monotheism and God-consciousness.

Source : www.irf.net

My observation on Sikhs.

However if you see the practices of the Sikhs, most of them are polythiest and often visit Hindu temples and pray in front of hindu gods and goddesses ( Idols). In their community it is often common to see Sikhs marrying their daughters and son with Hindus and vice versa. Most of the sikhs take Guru Nanak as God in action and beliefs.

zbhotto

Banned
A reply

Salam, Mohammed.

Thank you very much for your question.

Sikhism as we know it today is the result of the teachings of the ten Gurus, the first of which was Guru Nanak (1469-1539) and the tenth and last of which was Guru Gobind Singh (1666-1708).

Guru Nanak spread a simple message: "We are all one, created by the One Creator of all Creation." There is no definitive biography of Guru Nanak, though there have been many attempts to write the story of his life by his devotees after his death.

According to Dr. Hari Ram Gupta, author of A Life-Sketch of Guru Nanak, Nanak started his mission at a time when both Hinduism and Islam as practiced in the Indian Subcontinent had become distorted and degraded. The caste system was at its worst, and all kinds of corruption had become rampant in society. Men of vision were worried, and they attacked the rot that had set in the society. Rather than address the socio-political problems, the reformers of the day tried to initiate a spiritual movement that would turn people towards God. They believed that this was the way to cure the ills of the society.

Guru Nanak was indeed the most important of these reformers. He was born to a simple Hindu family. From an early age, he made friends with both Hindus and Muslims and acquired a good knowledge of Hinduism and Islam. He used to spend long hours in discussions with Muslim and Hindu holy men of the area.
There is a story of how he disappeared for three days and came back with enlightenment. It is reported that he was no longer the same person he had been. Then he uttered these words:

"There is but One God, His name is Truth, He is the Creator, He fears none, He is without hate, He never dies, He is beyond the cycle of births and death, He is self illuminated, He is realized by the kindness of the True Guru. He was True in the beginning, He was True when the ages commenced and has ever been True, He is also True now." (Japji)

These words are enshrined at the beginning of the Sikh holy scripture, the Guru Granth Sahib. It was 1499 and Guru Nanak was thirty years old at this time.

After this, with a Muslim companion, Guru Nanak undertook long journeys as part of a spiritual mission. He took twelve years to return from this first journey. He then set out on a second journey traveling as far south as Sri Lanka. On his third journey Guru Nanak traveled to the north to Tibet.

Guru Nanak visited Sheikh Ibrahim, the Muslim successor of Baba Farid, the great Sufi dervish of the twelfth century at Ajodhan. When asked by Ibrahim which of the two religions was the true way to attain God, Guru Nanak replied, "If there is one God, then there is only His way to attain Him, not another. One must follow that way and reject the other. Worship not him who is born only to die, but Him Who is eternal and is contained in the whole universe."

On his fourth great journey Guru Nanak dressed in the blue garb of a Muslim pilgrim and traveled to Makkah. He visited Madinah and Baghdad, too.

After having spent a lifetime in traveling abroad and setting up missions, an aged Nanak returned home to Punjab. He settled down at Kartharpur with his family. People came from far and near to hear his hymns and preaching.

After Guru Nanak’s death in September 1539, his Hindu followers thought him to be a Hindu and his Muslim followers thought him to be a Muslim. That is to say, both Muslims and Hindus viewed him from the perspective of their respective faiths.

It was the later disciples of Nanak who gave shape to a new religion, of which Nanak is considered the first Guru. In 1604, Arjan Dev (one of the ten Gurus) compiled the hymns of Guru Nanak along with the compositions of both Hindu and Muslim holy men, like Jaidev, Surdas, Sheikh Farid, and Kabir. The compiled book was enshrined by Arjan in the Golden Temple and was called the Adi Granth.

It was the tenth Guru, Gobind Singh, who organized the community of Sikhs into a khalsa — "a spiritual brotherhood devoted to purity of thought and action." He taught his followers to wear long hair (kesh, denoting saintly appearance), underwear (kachha, denoting self-control), iron bangle (kara, denoting purity in acts), comb (kangha, denoting cleanliness of mind and body), and sword (kirpan, denoting fight for a just cause).

The Sikh scripture called the Adi Granth (called respectfully as Guru Granth Sahib) is considered the Supreme Spiritual Authority and Head of the Sikh religion, rather than any living person. It contains the works of not only the ten Gurus but also the hymns by sufis like Sheikh Farid (1175 - 1265) and Sheikh Bhikan (who died during the early part of Akbar’s reign).

From the foregoing, we understand the following:

* Guru Nanak was a religious reformer at best; he was not the founder of any new religion.
* Sikhism is the creation of the Gurus, particularly of Guru Gobind Singh, whose compositions and innovations form the content and the framework of the new religion.
* The scripture of Sikhism is not any revelation from God but only the compositions of the Gurus as well as those of certain Muslim and Hindu mystics. For this reason, there is no meaning in talking about the authenticity of the book as a Divine Revelation. Because neither the book nor the authors claim it to have been revealed by God.
* As Muslims, we can perform da`wah to the Sikhs, chiefly by appealing to their faith in the Oneness of God. We can tell them that Guru Nanak was most probably a Muslim when he died; the available evidence favors that conclusion. Anyway he did not try to replace Islam with a new religion; on the other hand, his utterances point to the fact that he certainly believed Islam to be the True Religion of God.

And Allah knows best.
Source: www.islamonline.net

For more information please visit:
http://www.islamawareness.net/Sikhism/

zbhotto

Banned
Another Guru

Lalon fakir was also a similar person like Guru nanak in Bangladesh. Lalon Fakir was a hindu but raised in a muslim family. May of his fans are hindu and muslims. His muslim fans call him as muslim and his hindu fans call him as a hindu. His famous hymn was God lives in your heart and all religions are same.

Live4thehereafte

assalamailekum

slight off topic, i met a (practicing) brother about 3 years ago it just so happened he was doing some work in a relatives house and i me and him had to go and get some household stuff from a different town. Anyway we started talking about deen and i was absolutely shocked to discover that this brother was a revert. I thought he was a pakistani but he wasn't. He told me he used to be a sikh and that eventually he realized that sikhism just did not make sense to him. So he started studying christianity and jesus (pbuh) Eventually Allaah (s.w.t) guided him to islam (subhanallah). He also told me when his father found out he kicked him And his brother out of the house. His brother had also reverted. But the thing that really got me was what his father said :

"IF U HAD BECOME A CHRISTIAN OR FOLLOWED ANY OTHER RELIGION I WOULD BARE THAT BUT NEVER ISLAM"

wow.

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
Well, I was born in hindu family before I embraced Islam. When I was in my early 20s, I did tried buddism but I realised this religion was silent about God. Then I had punjabi sikh girlfriend and also two of my working mate was sikh ppl. I followed them to their Gurdwara (temple) many times including on their biggest festival called "vesakhi".

The first thing I was asked to do before entering their Gurdwara was to cover my head, with turban or handkerchief. Everyone must cover their head, I even saw chinese who was doing some repair work also covered his head. Inside look most similar to our masjid, from the main door we would normally see the mimbar, but here in Gurdwara you will see the Grant Sahib (their holy book). I followed my friend until right infront of the giant book, he threw some cash (I threw 20 cents only) infront of the book and we prostrated. I'm not sure what he read in his prostration.

Sikh is about 310 years old religion, I was there in their temple when they celebrated their 300th year of khalsa (sikh brotherhood). Though Guru Nanak Ji was the founder, but today's sikh's practices are based on their last Guru Gobind Singh Ji teachings. Guru Nanak is greatly influenced by Kabir Kant or Sant Kabir, claimed to be born Muslim. Allah knows best.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabir

From my observation, sikh claimed that their Grant Sahib is a combination of part from bible, part of Bhagavad Gita of hindu and part of Qur'an. But when they were reciting their Grant Sahib I do not recognise single word similar to Qura'n verses. One of my sikh friend claimed that she consider Grant Sahib as their 11th Guru.

Their Gurdwara look almost similar to our Masjid, inside and outside. Their dressing especially the men dressing resemble Muslims, but they do singing and chanting religious songs in the Gurdwara like the hindu chanting their Bhagadvad Gita. Every day without failed they serve free food in their Gurdwara but only vegetarian food (this is the most I enjoyed, very nice), similar to hindu or buddist.

Some of my sikh friends do celebrate christmas and most of them celebrate deepavaali. One old sikh man told me he wanted to enter our Masjid and pray but he knows he will not be allowed.

Sikh in Malaysia mostly are very successful, among the criminal lawyers they are the best in town. They have among the best surgeons and doctors. They are also doing very well in business and most of them a very active money lenders. In agriculture, most popular among them is cow farming.

They are minorities here with population perhaps below 200k. But their politician are one of the most fierce in the Parliment. Partly because their community have very good command in the law. Most of top lawyers from their commmunity becoming top politician. They do not have even one single constituency where they are mojority yet they have about dozen of politician in our Parliment, State Assemblies and Local Councils.

Unfortunately, some of them are very Islamophobic. Among the Indians I do not see many sikh ppl becoming Muslims. They are very intellegent ppl but sadly they can't recognise between diamond and glass. They innovate new religion based on christianity, hinduism and Islam but I think their religion is an offshoot of hinduism just like buddism.

Scotpak

I recall a case here in the UK where a Sikh lady embraced Islam but her life was threatened so she reconverted.If they're so Islamaphobic then why don't they leave Muslim lands and establish their mythical Khalistan!!?

Fact is they don't even have one country that they can truely call their own!.I've heard some cases of Sikhs becoming Muslims but only Allah knows how true it is.See sikhs2islam.com that is a wonderful site exposing what is afterall a combination of Hinduism and Islam!!!

zbhotto

Banned
Debate

We should invite them for a public debate for enlightenment for both muslim and shikhs. This would certainly clear the falsehood of shikism.

Scotpak

Even though i lived in India my entire life, not once have I seen a Hindu convert. I think we lack big time with Dawah effort in India. Mashallah so glad that you realized the truth

There are certainly many converts to Islam in India and many can be seen embracing Islam after listening to Dr Zakir Naik but in a population of over one billion they're hard to find.

As for Sikhism it's still a minority even in it's birthplace Punjab where most outrightly rejected it's message!.Still million's more Muslim's then Sikh's in the mentioned Indo-Pak region.

increasingiman

i was raised by sikh people and i ws closed to them.yes most of the thing i wanna say has been said by brother Hard Rock Moslem

even when it comes to marriage,sikh people wont allow their kids to marry any other religion except sikh.very minor cases where sikh people married to malay or chinese or indian.

some sikh are like hindus and some are punjabi.so it is just difficult to understand them.they are just like any other religion in the world who do not convert to islam.but in malaysia,there are some sikhs who convert to islam but it is a very very small amount compared to chinese and indians who convert to islam

zbhotto

Banned
Real reason

There is serious lack of dawah activity in Malaysia as Hussain Ye told in a peace tv conference. If we cannot argue in a gentle manner to prove the truth of islam and expose their falsehood how come we can enlighten the pure hearts. If their Gurus neither claim divinity nor claim prophethood why should they follow their Gurus falsehood. Neither their holy book nor the author of their book claim divine origin. Still they follow their gurus as they believe their Gurus were inspired by god then why don't they follow Pope/Priest(xtain) as the christian also claim whatever they say in their mouth is inspired by GOD (Jesus) (Aoudubillah).

Our Job is to proof the truth of islam and falsehood of others. The rest depends of Allah swt.

Scotpak

Even after five hundred years Sikh's have been unable to escape being under Islam's shadow.This is why they repeatedly tell the world that "We're not Muslim's".Perhaps if they stopped using Islamic terms as quoted in my original mail they'd be able to creat their own identity.

From my understanding their Guru's were good social reformers but nothing more!.They'd hoped for massive conversions to Sikhism especially in The Punjab much similar to how the Arab's accepted Islam under the Prophet(saw) but it didn't happen!.There is a story that Gurue Nanak visited Mecca so either he was a Muslim or pretended to be one in which case he was a lier!.Many say that he owned a cloak with the Shahadah written on it but either way his religious belief is irrelevent to me because he wasn't even a Caliph nevermind being a Prophet which is laughable considering he did so little especially when compared to Muhammad(saw).

Despite the Guru's being the most recent religious figures i've never know for any non-Sikh intellectual to ever praise ther achievements....no Goethe,Einstien or Nepoleon has ever spoken of them unlike our Prophet(saw) whom many non-Muslim thinkers rightfully call the greatest person ever to have lived.In conclusion the Sikh Guru's are only praised by their own followers unlike our Prophet(saw) who has million's of non-Muslim admirers.I've often challenged Sikh's to prove me wrong but they've always failed.

The five Sikh K's....again obviously inspired from islam's five pillars make no sense either i mean how is carry a comb a symbol of cleaness or a bangle help protection against evil!?.Turban creates saintly appearance...i don't think so even though Muslim's wore turban's centuries before them!.Wearing shorts don't dicipline a man in anyway either.......
Only false Punjabi pride keeps them away from accepting Islam!

weareloved

Okay, I'd just like to clear a few things up. The reason that Sikh people tend to hate Muslims is purely because of the past. When Sikhism first started out it was okay, but then as it started to grow the Muslims of that time started to torture people. They constantly tried to change people's religion to Islam, that goes for Hindu's as well as Sikh's. So the Guru's at that time were being killed by Muslim people for not converting. There are many stories and I'll share a few with you.

One of the Guru's and his son were put in a cage in front of a few hundred people and one Muslim leader said "Convert to Islam or I will kill your son." The Guru smiled and began to meditate and the leader stuck to his word and tortured his son, before deciding to cut his son's head off. The Guru watched on in the cage and then finally they did the same to him. That is one of the stories.

The second one is of the last Guru, the Muslim leaders buried his sons in a wall because they did not convert to Islam. Sikhism is a religion that lived by the sword in its own constant defence against this kind of treatment. It was worse before the last Guru arrived, though. The Muslim people of that time went into the houses of Sikh's and Hindu's and forced them to convert, a lot of Hindu's did convert, but the Sikh's refused and because of this refusal there wives were wrapped, as well as daughters and there sons murdered before them. That was the punishment and that is why the Hindu's agreed to convert.

And you might think this is false or I am making it up, but it's the truth. That is the real history behind everything and why Sikh people dislike Muslim people. You can judge a religion based on a few people you meet, but is it right for me to judge those Muslims who don't believe in the Prophet? They still preach about Islam. What about those who believe that the Prophet is God? They still preach about Islam. The fundamentalists? There is something wrong with everyone in every religion, but that does not make the religion wrong. Sikhism is very similar to Islam. It tells you not to hate people and allow them to be the way they are. It tells you not to argue with others and to respect everyone and there religion or lack of it. There are some people who follow it wrong and some who follow it right. There should be no caste system in Sikhism, no one is higher than anyone else, especially in the eyes of God, that is what it states. The people who take Guru Nanak as there God are the ones that take the Prophet as there God. People are not perfect.

The religion Islam, however. It's a very beautiful religion and people need to follow it the way that it was taught, rather than innovation. Just the same as Sikhism. Just like the Prophet said... "To you be your way. To me, be my way." If I mis-quoted, I apologise.

zbhotto

Banned
What do you think?

Is there anything wrong to fight against those evils combine ISLAM and Hinduism to create a new religion?