Hadith? Questions...

Valerie

:salam2:

I have two (hopefully) quick questions. First, is there a site or a recommended book (in English, I'm still working on Arabic) that has official information from outside the Quran (hadith)? If I just had to deal with the Quran, I'd be okay but when it gets into stuff not in the Quran, I get completely lost. I don't know what's official, what's not, what's true, what isn't... I just need to read it for myself and I need help getting pointed in the right direction.

Second, if the information is from the Prophet, why is it not part of the Quran? If it is mandatory, it doesn't make sense for it not to be included, or at least printed with the Quran as additional information...

I appreciate the help.

Have a great day,
Valerie

Almaas

Wa'alaykumasalaam, I don't really have anything regarding your first question, apologies.

Second, if the information is from the Prophet, why is it not part of the Quran? If it is mandatory, it doesn't make sense for it not to be included, or at least printed with the Quran as additional information...

Do you mean why are hadiths separate.. as in if parts of the sunnah are so important, why are they not included in the Qur'an?

I wondered the same, but the following ayah sealed my question.

''You have indeed in the Messenger of God an excellent pattern of conduct.'' (33:21)

Basically the Qur'an can't specify *everything*; the way I see it is that the Qur'an sets the rules, and the sunnah shows us how to follow them.

I'm sorry if I may have misunderstood your question in my quick response. I'm sure others can also provide more detailed responses than mine.

Valerie

Wa'alaykumasalaam, I don't really have anything regarding your first question, apologies.

Do you mean why are hadiths separate.. as in if parts of the sunnah are so important, why are they not included in the Qur'an?

I wondered the same, but the following ayah sealed my question.

''You have indeed in the Messenger of God an excellent pattern of conduct.'' (33:21)

Basically the Qur'an can't specify *everything*; the way I see it is that the Qur'an sets the rules, and the sunnah shows us how to follow them.

I'm sorry if I may have misunderstood your question in my quick response. I'm sure others can also provide more detailed responses than mine.

:wasalam:

No, you understood it perfectly. That makes sense, thank you so much :)

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

Wahy (revelation) from Allah azz zawajal is of two types. Imam Suyuti rahimullah is quoted to have said

“Wahy is actual two types of Wahy; Wahy that we have been commanded to
write down and that we have been commanded to worship by its recitation,
and each letter is rewarded with 10 good deeds. And the other type of Wahy
we have not been commanded to preserve in writing, or worship through its
recitation, it is indeed the Sunnah of the Prophet, sallallahu ‘alayhi wa
sallam.”

And portion of the verse 7 from Surah Hashr states it implicitly :-

And whatsoever the Messenger (Muhammad SAW) gives you, take it, and whatsoever he forbids you, abstain (from it) , and fear Allah. Verily, Allah is Severe in punishment.

This is a clear indication that following the way of the Prophet (Sunnah) is mandatory and a command from Allah azz zawajal. The source of which are the recorded narrations called Hadeeth (as you already know).

Riyadh Us Saliheen is a good collection of Hadeeth for beginners arranged by topic. It is really beneficial as it also contains commentary after each
Hadeeth.

Also, Imam Nawawi's (rahimullah) Forty Hadeeth is another excellent collection which you should look in to.

And you have a substantial time to devote for understanding hadeeth, then there is a really good class on Riyadh Us Saliheen done by brother Abu Mussab, Linked here.

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

Edit : Riyadh Us Saliheen is available on TTI as an ebook. The link is here

Imam Nawawee's Forty Hadeeth is also on TTI. The link is here

JazakAllahu Khayran to our beloved brother islamicfajr (Abu Sarah) for the beneficial thread 'Download Free Ebooks on TTI'

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
I'm glad sis Valerie asked the question, because I bookmarked all those websites and ebooks to read in depth.. JazakAllahu Khayr.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the recommendation above was for people beginning to gain knowledge in the field of Hadeeth. Both Riyadh us Saliheen and Forty Hadeeth are recommended for new muslims (or beginners) as they contain Hadeeth that are relatively easy to understand and most versions have extensive commentary on each hadeeth.

I believe Jamaal Zarbozo has done a version of explanation in english for Imam Nawawee's Forty Hadeeth.

After the Holy Quran, the scholars of Ahl us Sunnah Wal Jamah are in consensus that Saheeh al Bukhari and Saheeh Muslim are the most authentic and comprehensive compilations in recording narrations (approximately close to 7000 narrations in total) of our beloved Prophet SalAllahu Alleihi Wa Sallam.

Also, the above mentioned books in addition with four others (namely Sunan at Tirmidhee, Sunan Ibn Majah, Sunan Abu Dawud and Sunan An Nisai) constitute the 'six famous books of hadeeth' (or Saheeh Al Sittah).
The latter mentioned books however contain a mix of mostly authentic and some weak narrations.

Therefore, when mentioning/reading narrations from these latter books, you should refer to the work of classical and contemporary Muhaditheen (Hadeeth scholars) regarding their evaluation of the soundness of it's particular chain of narration.

Imam Malik's (rahimullah) Muwatta is also held in high regard by our scholars.

I had forgotten to mention all this earlier. I hope this helps.

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

a_stranger

:salam2:sister

The Muslims are agreed that the Sunnah of the Prophet Muhammad (may Allah bless him and grant him peace) is the second of the two revealed fundamental sources of Islam, after the Glorious Qur'an. The authentic Sunnah is contained within the vast body of Hadith literature.1.

A hadith (pl. ahadith) is composed of two parts: the matn (text) and the isnad (chain of reporters). A text may seem to be logical and reasonable but it needs an authentic isnad with reliable reporters to be acceptable; `Abdullah b. al-Mubarak (d. 181 AH), one of the illustrious teachers of Imam al-Bukhari, said, "The isnad is part of the religion: had it not been for the isnad, whoever wished to would have said whatever he liked."2.

During the lifetime of the Prophet (may Allah bless him and grant him peace) and after his death, his Companions (Sahabah) used to refer to him directly, when quoting his sayings. The Successors (Tabi`un) followed suit; some of them used to quote the Prophet (may Allah bless him and grant him peace) through the Companions while others would omit the intermediate authority - such a hadith was later known as Mursal. It was found that the missing link between the Successor and the Prophet (may Allah bless him and grant him peace) might be one person, i.e. a Companion, or two people, the extra person being an older Successor who heard the hadith from the Companion. This is an example of how the need for the verification of each isnad arose; Imam Malik (d. 179) said, "The first one to utilise the isnad was Ibn Shihab al-Zuhri" (d. 124).3.

The other more important reason was the deliberate fabrication of ahadith by various sects which appeared amongst the Muslims, in order to support their views (see later, under discussion of Maudu` ahadith). Ibn Sirin (d. 110), a Successor, said, "They would not ask about the isnad. But when the fitnah (trouble, turmoil, esp. civil war) happened, they said: Name to us your men. So the narrations of the Ahl al-Sunnah (Adherents to the Sunnah) would be accepted, while those of the Ahl al-Bid`ah (Adherents to Innovation) would not be accepted."

Copied from:

http://www.islamic-awareness.org/Hadith/Ulum/asai.html

a_stranger

The full name of Imam Muslim is Abul Husain Muslim ibn Al-Hajjaj Al-Qushairi An-Naisaburi. He belonged to the Qushair tribe of the Arabs, an offshoot of the great clan of Rabi`ah. He was born in Nishapur in AH 202/817 CE or AH 206/821 CE. His parents were religiously minded persons and as such he was brought up in a pious atmosphere. This left such an indelible impression on his mind that he spent the whole of his life as a God-fearing person and always adhered to the path of righteousness. He was in fact a righteous man of high caliber. His excellent moral character can be well judged from the simple fact that he never indulged in backbiting, a very common human failing.
Imam Muslim traveled widely to collect traditions in Arabia, Egypt, Syria, and Iraq, where he attended the lectures of some of the prominent traditionists of his time such as Ishaq ibn Rahwaih, Ahmad ibn Hanbal, `Ubaidullah Al-Qawariri, Qutaibah ibn Sa`id, `Abdullah ibn Maslamah, Harmalah ibn Yahya, and others.

Having finished his studies, he settled down at Nishapur. There he came into contact with Imam Al-Bukhari and was so much impressed by his vast knowledge of Hadith and his deep insight into it that he kept himself attached to him up to the end of Al-Bukhari's life. He was an ardent admirer of another great teacher of Hadith, Muhammad ibn Yahya Adh-Dhuhali and attended his lectures regularly. But when the difference of opinion between Muhammad ibn Yahya and Imam Al-Bukhari, on the issue of the creation of the Qur'an, sharpened into hostility, Imam Muslim sided with Imam Al-Bukhari and abandoned Muhammad ibn Yahya altogether. He was thus a true disciple of Imam Al-Bukhari.

Copied from:

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/...sh-Living_Shariah/LSELayout&cid=1158658457526

kayleigh

If all the hadith were included in the Quran it would be huge and no one would ever read the entire thing. Maybe there are deeper, more philosophical reasons, but I think that's a pretty practical one lol. The Quran gives you very basic, sometimes vague and general ideas, and doesn't go into too much detail on any one topic. The hadith usually fill in the blanks.

a_stranger

Speaking of the importance of Hadith, we need to take into consideration two broad aspects of the subject. We know that Allah Almighty revealed the Qur'an to His chosen Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him). So it is through the Prophet we come to hear the word of Allah; and it is the Prophet himself who can properly explain and demonstrate the precepts in the Qur'an. Without the required explanations and illustrations given by the Prophet, the Qur'an may be misunderstood and misinterpreted by people. So the Prophet took care to explain and demonstrate to his companions how the Qur'anic verses must be read and understood. That is to say, the importance of Hadith is linked to the importance of the Qur'an.

copied from :

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/...sh-Living_Shariah/LSELayout&cid=1158658489489

:wasalam: