Is the Taliban/Islamic Leadership in general against modern day technology ?

truthseeker63

Is the Taliban/Islamic Leadership in general against modern day technology ? Did the Taliban ban tvs vcrs and computers because these things can be used in haram ways ?

Word for Word Allah Is Good. Technology Is Bad. Visit Our Web Site.

By JOE SHARKEY
Published: October 25, 1998

THE Taliban hard-liners who rule most of Afghanistan are arguably the world's most vociferous enemies of modern technology. When they aren't busy enforcing the rules that prohibit females from leaving their homes unveiled or unaccompanied by a close male relative, the Taliban religious police roam neighborhoods searching for radios, TV's, VCR's, phonographs, satellite dishes or computers, which are promptly destroyed while the owners are arrested.

Anjem Choudary: Interview with Israeli TV Channel MCR

In this Interview the Interviewer asked about how the Taliban banned tv or computers and or vcrs I think Anjem Choudary said they had their own reasons to ban these may I ask why they would ban these things thank you ?

truthseeker63

I know there is a lot of evil things on the Internet.

I know there is a lot of evil things on the Internet could this be why it was banned ?

Idris16

salam alaykum

Let us make du'â that Afghanistan get stable and under Islamic rule. Why should we discuss about technology.

ThisOldMan

I know there is a lot of evil things on the Internet could this be why it was banned ?
:salam2:
If we do not allow something to be used just because it can be used for evil, then we can't even use a simple thing like knife because a knife can be used to kill people. Ditto for the internet. Myself, I consider the internet to be a great place to do da'wah work. WaLLahu aklam.

ipanda

this is the thing that can be called "extremism". I mean, look...if you think about it, everything have a side effect. Truthfully, I am not all for islamic rule of a nation but if it is done, it got to bring with it a lot of sense, that's it eliminating such laws which in my eyes are quite absurd and unIslamic.

ShyHijabi

If we do not allow something to be used just because it can be used for evil, then we can't even use a simple thing like knife because a knife can be used to kill people. Ditto for the internet. Myself, I consider the internet to be a great place to do da'wah work. WaLLahu aklam.

Good point.

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong

:wasalam:

yes..you are right...its a good place for dawah.

but also hardly one in thousand *dont* use (or misuse) it for movies, music, chatting, p!*!*!n!,etc.

MohammedMaksudul

May Allah Forgive us
this is the thing that can be called "extremism". I mean, look...if you think about it, everything have a side effect. Truthfully, I am not all for islamic rule of a nation but if it is done, it got to bring with it a lot of sense, that's it eliminating such laws which in my eyes are quite absurd and unIslamic.

You are not for Islamic rule of a nation, brother/sister but why? Is not Islam a way of life? Is it not a system of life for the Muslims that needs to be implemented through an authority?

ThisOldMan

:wasalam:

yes..you are right...its a good place for dawah.

but also hardly one in thousand *dont* use (or misuse) it for movies, music, chatting, p!*!*!n!,etc.

Didn't Allah ask "How do you know you have iman before you are tested"? (I cannot remember the exact verse so if some brother or sister knows, please post the reference here)

So every second we spend surfing the net, we are being tested. I beg Allah that our iman will grow stronger with each test.

The way I look at it, it is haram to flee from the enemy when we are face-to-face with them on the battlefield. There is no doubt that the internet is being used by the enemies of Islam to denounce Islam. For me, it is wajib to do what I can to fight the enemies of Islam on the internet. I beg Allah to guide me and not let me be led astray by the enemies of Islam. Ameen.

truthseeker63

Does anyone have any idea why the Taliban would ban tv or computers or vcrs ?

Does anyone have any idea why the Taliban would ban tv or computers or vcrs ?

masihuddin

What the Taliban practice and preach is NOT the islamic way of life They practice extremism and violence Thousands of innocent muslims have fallen victim to their violence in Pakistan They torch schools particularly of girls as they do not believe in educating girls and would take the ummaah back to the stone age .All muslims should unite and fight against this menace

arzafar

depends if the technology is useful or harmful to islam and muslims and humans in general.

However, one thing you cant deny is that most problems humans face today are a direct result of the technological 'solutions' we had developed earlier. eg.
dams, nuclear technology, dynamite, plastics, synthetic chemicals, modern agriculture, industrialization, urban cities, internet etc...

as they say the chief source of problems is solutions!

ipanda

What the Taliban practice and preach is NOT the islamic way of life They practice extremism and violence Thousands of innocent muslims have fallen victim to their violence in Pakistan They torch schools particularly of girls as they do not believe in educating girls and would take the ummaah back to the stone age .All muslims should unite and fight against this menace

Good point brother, good point!

truthseeker63

Amish Orthodox Jews

Is the Taliban banning tv vcrs or computers like the Amish and or Orthodox Jews the Amish and some Jews who are Orthodox or Hasidic do not watch tv use vcrs or computers ?

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
Assalamu Aleykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakaathuh brother. As far as I know, the movies/music that existed in those days were full of women who were dressed inappropriatley, and since Afghanistan had a problem of women/young girls (and young boys) being sexually assaulted/abused by peodeophiles and warlords, the Taliban destroyed the Movie/Music industry.

As for tv, many Islamic scholars in the past use to hold the opinion that TVs were COMPLETELY Haram (I guess because the TVs would distract people from their Islamic duties (like doing their prayers, and sleeping early so that they can wake up for Fajr, etc.) and also, watching TV for a long time will give a person a headache, because the pixels constantly change colors and make a person's eyes hurt).