islam's view on biblical apostles

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
:salam2:

:subhanallah: we have the quran as our scripture but i do have a a question or two. it's regarding the bible.

what are the statuses of Peter and Paul of the bible. they aren't mentioned in the quran at all. i ask this because they were adamant that the biblical Jesus ( may ALLAH forgive me ) was God? i never hear any muslims or muslim scholars ever mention them. were they not credible or were their writings blatant corruptions?

:wasalam:

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Brother,

In reading it is mentioned in the Holy Quran that the disciples of Prophet Isa were Muslims. Peter would be one of the original disciples and he was one of the founders of the Coptic Church; the eastern church.

As for Paul. He never met Isa. He was not of the disciples of Isa.

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
Assalaam walaikum,

Brother,

In reading it is mentioned in the Holy Quran that the disciples of Prophet Isa were Muslims. Peter would be one of the original disciples and he was one of the founders of the Coptic Church; the eastern church.

As for Paul. He never met Isa. He was not of the disciples of Isa.

what i mean is from the book of Acts onward. at least a third of the NT is attributed to Paul and because of that the person of Paul cannot be ignored. is the islamic stance on Paul is that he never met Jesus so his testimony is illegitimate? as far as the coptic church, it is myth that he founded it just like it is myth that he started the catholic church. what i'm trying to find out is if people corrupted Paul's writing or did Paul personally lead people to believing in the divinity of Jesus.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

The Gospels were written at least a century to four centuries after the the death of Jesus.
Paul was not a disciple. If you read the Acts and Letters you understand that they are a system of dogmatic. They describe how to govern and live as a community.

The original disciples were not in favor with Paul. It is written that Peter and Paul had some reconciliation prior to Peters death. However, Paul was the mastermind in combining Christianity with Roman paganism.

The divinity of Christianity did not become an issue until the third century. To understand the entire thing with the divinity start researching the history of Holy Communion. To this day they do not understand this ritual.

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
Assalaam walaikum,

The Gospels were written at least a century to four centuries after the the death of Jesus.
Paul was not a disciple. If you read the Acts and Letters you understand that they are a system of dogmatic. They describe how to govern and live as a community.

The original disciples were not in favor with Paul. It is written that Peter and Paul had some reconciliation prior to Peters death. However, Paul was the mastermind in combining Christianity with Roman paganism.

The divinity of Christianity did not become an issue until the third century. To understand the entire thing with the divinity start researching the history of Holy Communion. To this day they do not understand this ritual.

you stated that Paul was the mastermind behind the deification of Jesus. that's what i'm trying to find out. is that the official islamic view? or could the earliest christians including Paul have been practicing the same message that we muslims believed Isa ( AS ) had taught? or could it just have been Paul that led to deviation from the islamic monotheism that Isa ( AS ) had preached?

i ask these things because, we muslims often look towards the gospels when we are trying to prove that Isa ( AS ) isn't God. we do a good job at that, but i never really hear or have heard muslims challenge the words of Paul in the new testament and i was wondering why that was.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

We know in the Holy Quran the Enjeel has been corrupted. The Christians are the ones who live in confusion. They have not changed the words of Allah, so they have not incurred His Wrath, as the Jews. They have gone astray. They act without knowledge. I am referring to Sura Fathia.
The best example I read is that the Christians have the most generous heart. They are the foremost in helping others. However, they do not understand what they are doing. The charity organizations are a good example.

The history of Christianity is murky. The schism in the Church started with the break between Peter and Paul. Peter was the simple man. Paul was the mastermind; he moved the church westward. The New Testament after the Gospels is a series of letters about governing. These are written on the small islands. But, years passed before the deification.

Once again, you have to turn to the year 325 AD. The Council of Nicaea. This is where the Apostles Creed is debated.

There is little need for Muslims to challenge the words of Paul. We have Sura Fathia which sums it up very neatly.

However, Brother, I am far from a scholar. I have spent much time studying different faiths.

I heard something interesting. Less than 2% of the Holy Quran is law. Paul was trying to set up Christian Law. Of the accepted 27 books or 28, depending on the Apocrypha in the NT Paul authored 14.

There is no need for Muslims to spend time on what Paul wrote.

Does this help?

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
There are number of verses in NT Paul appeared to have cursed at Jesus (peace be upon him), show that to the christians and you may ask them to explain why? Paul had banned women speaking up in the church, he abolished the Law of Moses but Jesus came to fulfill them. So, who is superior? Can not be Paul. We believe in Isa (peace be upon him) and Injil but we can only follow the teachings of Prophet Muhammad (blessings and peace be upon him) which may have similarities with Prophet Isa's (peace be upon him) teachings.