it's so depressing to know when...

aaminah

it's so depressing to know when people approaches me and tells me that they also have muslim friends but they do not wear hijab, there are muslimahs who tells them that it is not important to wear hijab, some even misinterpret me as being too exagerated for wearing it. i started wearing hijab last feb this year because i feel i need to do more for Allah (i reverted to Islam last July 17, 2006), i like wearing it, i feel more safe with it and i trust Allah.
i've been seeing born muslimahs who don't look like muslims at all, trying hard to fit in with the crowds of kafirs...it really breaks my heart : ( they look good in the eyes of kafirs but not in the eyes of Allah swt Astaghfirullah!
i try hard not to mind the comments of other people, even if i'm the only one wearing hijab in my office(a call center)...

jabba

Salafi Dawah is the best
:salam2:
How do you know whats in the hearts of the Muslims that don't wear hijab???
Well you don't! Allah (SWT) tells us not to judge, so sister wear your hijab, smile, say salam to those other Muslims who don't wear hijab and go about you buisness. Leave the judging to God (SWT)
:wasalam:
P.S. please post these topics in the sisters section or the lounge next time, this section is for site problems ie "how do you pm?" or other technical issues

apocalypse77

there are actually lots of muslim sisters who dont really observe the hijab but we dont go around telling those sisters "you are going to hell for not wearing hijab"..im seriously sick of some religous zealots with that holier than thou attitude..if you really really do care abt the sister not wearing hijab, well, u can pray to Allah and hope Allah gives her guidance and hidayat and stregth to be a more observing and practsing Muslim =) we arent like christians and we cant preachbase on emotions

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

For the umteenth time: there is no compluslion in religion. If you choose to wear hijab, May Allah reward you. If you select not to wear hijab..it is a very private decision between you and Allah.
Only Allah can grant us jannath. Only Allah knows the content of our hearts. If we lower our gaze, we do not see the mote in our neighbours eyes while there is a log in ours.
Please let us practice our faith and show respect as our Holy Prophet (swas) taught us.

Saifu deen

Alhamdullah..

I agree with sister Mirajmom. There many females who don't wear Hijab, but practice good behaviour, honesty, and I believe many pray, and fast alhamdullah. One day they will come closer to Allah (SWT) inshallah.

I believe the way to approach can be different, because many need to be approached about the basics of islam, and if you mention about Hijab from the start that can lead to constraint in making an effort to change. While others can have more knowledge than the female who wear Hijab, and her approach will be totally different. I think Dua and Dawa (in an appropriate way to attract the listener to flow in your approach inshallah)....

I always used to have problems from Shiekhs that always start with Haram first, although I needed different approach and that delayed my journey to right path... Until one day during my university degree, a friend of mine who repent to Allah (SWT) very sincerely asked the local Imam to come with him to our house so that the shiekh can give us DAWA. The shiekh (from America in UK for DAWA purposes). He entered the house and music was very loud indeed, everyone playing cards and smoking. Once he reached the sitting room we felt shocked, one of us reached music system to put the volume down, but the shiekh said ''No my son, leave your music on, I am your visitor I cant make my rules in your house, please leave the music on''.. How humble?... He didnt say HARAM, and he didnt Judge but he got our 1000% attention. His approach was one of the reasons that made my journey to the right path quicker Walhamdullah....

I believe the right knowledge, the right approach, the right intentions, and qualities of the person making Dawa (directly and indirectly through their action) can lead to people listen to you humbly, and feel that they want to change... HARAM, and JUDGING can only affect people negatively..

abou haytam

i've been seeing born muslimahs who don't look like muslims at all, trying hard to fit in with the crowds of kafirs...

The Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) warned us against to looks like kafirs, when he said, “You will inevitably follow the paths of those who came before you, handspan by handspan, cubit by cubit, until even if they entered the hole of a lizard, you will follow them.” We said, “O Messenger of Allaah, (do you mean) the Jews and Christians?” He said, “Who else?” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, al-I’tisaam bi’l-Kitaab wa’l-Sunnah, 6889; Muslim, al-‘Ilm, 6723).

and also

Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.” (Narrated by Abu Dawood, al-Libaas, 4031; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood, 3401).

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman

the reason i believe wearing the hijab for women and wearing the beard for men is important is because they act as a muslim uniform. early on in my life as a muslim i didn't grow a beard, truthfully i was ignorant about the whole beard thing. but i gained a little more knowledge about the beard, so i began growing a goatee. but still more knowledge was being learned. then i realized or my heart convicted me that i needed to grow a full beard. it was a progression in my faith.

before i grew the beard, i would see countless numbers of muslims during the day. i would say salaam to them and they would look at me as if i had 5 heads. but when i started growing the beard, those same people came to me giving me salaam. why? because without my beard they weren't sure if i was muslim or not! i don't wish to be offensive but most people can't tell the difference in the appearance of a hindu or pakistani, so when there has been clean shaven pakistani brothers that i never gave then salaams, not because i refused salaams to beardless muslims, but i wasn't sure if they were hindus or muslims. but when i saw a indo-pak looking man with a beard i would say salaam and he would always give back the salaam.

my point is that the beard and the hijab identify us as muslims. in my opinion hijab is a basic thing that must be done. yes many brothers have hidden from the beard topic, mostly because they know that the beard is part of the man's hijab. and many imams are afraid to bring up this topic in their friday khutbahs.

i do not judge the hijabless women or beardless men, but i pray that Allah AWT guides them to it.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Some Priorities

Welcome to the site Sister aaminah.

I agree with all of what you have to say. It is a shame that people do not feel the need to follow Islam properly and that some are weak enough to copy the disbelievers so readily, whilst knowing better!

I have seen some replies to this topic which also have some valid points. However, I do think they have kinda jumped to conclusions as to the intention of the Original thread maker!! I am sure, she did not mean to sound as if she is judging people. I think she simply expressed her saddness that her fellow Muslim women are not following Islam as they should and that they put another lifestyle infront of the best one i.e. Islamic.

So the rest of this I wish to make into a General reply as to our priorities in Islam and how to keep our Iman high, and perhaps how best to deal with others we want to help. This is just some thoughts that we should also keep in mind, insha Allah.

Although hijab is obligatory, we should also be concerned about more fundamental and important beliefs that people have, such as sound knowledge of Aqeedah. It is of little use if sister wears Hijab or even Niqab, yet doesnt worship Allah properly or believes in various supersticions. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people like this around the world.. from outside appearance they seem great Muslims, but from their actions you will see things that are the biggest sins, such as Shirk. So, just because someone wears hijab or has a beard doesnt make them more important or special from another Muslim, that is not for us to decide.. and it certainly does not warrant us to treat other Muslims differently by this criteria.

I dont think we should judge people by their appearance, certainly this is a matter to do with Iman and also sometimes circumstance. - We should make excuses for our brothers and sisters, rather than think negative...

The starting point is always to talk about Tawheed, and we build on this foundation. With more Iman and good friendly Islamic encouragement that person will have confidence and ability to do much more inshaAllah.

Also, we must remember to be humble infront of our Lord Allah, Subhana wa ta'ala. Guidance is from Allah, it is a gift each one of us is very lucky to have. To be a Muslim is a gift, to be aware of the Qur'aan and Sunnah, to follow it for Allah's pleasure alone.. not for fame, fortune or any other reason... is also a gift.

This world is a small place, people are so similar yet sometimes so different. People are of all types, but Allah showed us how to interact with each other. Our example, must be the example of the Prophet's mentioned in the Qur'aan, and of course the last and final Messenger, Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him and his family).

- They always strove to teach people about worshipping Allah alone. -

So, Hijab is indeed important for woman. But, these things must be seen in perspective and we must approach our fellow muslim brother and sister in good way. That person could easily be me or you or our own brother or sister.

So, Abu Haytam, yeah it is tashbeeh al kuffar, copying disbeliever.. But, we cant have this in our mind when talking to Muslim who perhaps is not practising Islam properly or just doesnt look like we would want them to look.-

Wisdom is needed at all times. Got to be much more relax and chilled.. - If someone totally rejects Islam, doesnt care one iota about it, then this is different story. But, i feel vast majority of our Muslim brothers and sisters simply need extra encouragement and help to realise the beauty of Islam.

We must help by explaining to them using Quran and Sunnah the following:

The purpose of their existance. It is to worship Allah alone. To be good Muslims following Qur'aan and Sunnah. - This gives us the Best life, it makes us good people and gives us a framework to please Allah whilst also having best opportunity to fulfil our destiny on this world. -- For we are on this world just for short time. Our main mission is to get to the next life....

-- Sometimes, we might be fooled into the fun and games of this world and not realise what we are doing. Without Islam, life is just a "Rat Race", where people just collect and hoarde their money and are selfish and dont know how to interact with others or their families in good and fair way.

Just look around you, this world, its beauty. The people, the animals, the nature.. It is all a sign to reflect upon, as it is all Allah's creation.

We must know who Allah is, our one Lord and Creator. We must know Tawheed, the Unity of his Lordship, the unity of his Names and Attributes..and the Unity of his Worship -- i.e. that we Worship Him alone without setting up any partners to him.

we must believe in his Angels, in His Books, In his Messengers, in the day of judgement, in Pre-decree the Good and the bad of it.

- We should worship Allah alone, please him by praying 5x, doing our obligatory Fasting in Ramadan, we must give Zakah if we can, we must try and do the Hajj if we can.

Patience -- is one of the biggest and best qualities we can learn. this is linked to our Iman. If we patient people, we realise our true position on this world. - that Allah is our Lord and we are answerable to him, and that He alone is the one who can help us out of any predicament.

- so, always keep trust in Allah and never despair. Allah is the One who feeds the birds and the animals even in the most desolate and remotest of regions imaginable. It is Allah, the most Merciful the Most Wise that allows the tiny bacteria in the boiling hot springs to remain alive and make scientists puzzled. It is Allah, that allows for unknown species of shrimp and crabs to live 1000s of meters away in pure darkness, away from the sunlight for 1000s of years.

-- InshaAllah khayr, these are things for myself to reflect upon as well as for all my brothers and sisters.

So, remember next time you see someone who perhaps isnt practising Islam properly to think about how you approach them. Just because they dont wear Hijab, wear Rayban sunglasses or listen to hiphop doesnt mean they are most wicked or vile person on the planet. Infact, quite often, those wicked and vile people look like good people - except when you scrutinise their actions in the light of Qur'aan and Sunnah, you will notice the abhorrant Shirk (associating partners with Allah) and Bid'ah (making newly invented matters into Islam that the Prophet :saw: and his Companions never did) that they do.

Allah, is the Only one who truly knows what is in the hearts of the Muslim and only He is the one who can judge.

manofhonour

Jazakallah khairn Sister,

May Allah shower his blessing upon you & reward u here & hereafter.

Please remain on ur principles to show the world that islam is really a great religion.

Wasalm

Bawar

Struggling2Surrender
assalamu alaikum brothers and sisters
sister aamina came to her muslim brothers and sisters to share her sadness with them, but they were very harsh on them and misunderstood her. it was sad to read some of the replies. it is important to look a muslim just as it is important to act muslim. nobody is judging anybody so please don't tell sister aamina that she is judging non hijabi sisters. she is only expressing her concerns.

wassalam

Saifu deen

Alhamdullah..

I apologies sister amminah, for misunderstanding your post. But I thought this below sentence is quite harsh if other sisters (who dont wear Hijab) who are affected by the western environment heard this sentence. No one knows if they are trying hard or not as I believe environment play a major part in our personalities, some people can be affected and some people can comply with the teachings of islam.

trying hard to fit in with the crowds of kafirs.....[/QUOTE said:
Again sorry for misunderstanding

virtualeye

Tamed Brother
AssalaamuAlikum WRWB,

The basis of justifying evil is that:

Due to sins , when people can not see their ugly face in the mirror of consicence then they look around and see there are people around them who are better than them, so they wish other people also become ugly and morally degraded.

A sin can be forgiven by The Merciful, but justifications for a sin and not only trying to make a sin look as noramal act but to attempt to make a sin look like a rewarding act, this is the worst hypocrisy and it can make the sin unforgivable.

Doing a sin is man's nature. Repentance brings the forgiveness of The Merciful. Trying to prove that some specific bad act is not a sin but a favor, is actually the sign of "Takabbur" (Pride). And pride is the sign of "Fight with Allah SWT".

So, Does anybody want to fight with Allah SWT?

WassalaamuAlaikum WRWB.

:salam2: sister. I dont agree with one of the comment by apocalypse77 that hijabi act holier then the others. Yes some do i dont deny that. But some really want to guide you in the right path. And there is nothing wrong in telling somebody that you are not correct. If that was the case and everything was to be left to God then we dont need prophets to tell us the word of Allah and guide us. Some people dont know and when somebody who has a good knowledge tells them they do change.But Also to hijabin even though you wear hijab if you dont have full knowledge to answer question dont do dawah leave it to people of knowledge or if you do want to then go and read. And non hijabins who dont know anything about hijab please stop giving your opinion on ISLAM. Say it is my personal choice not to wear it. And dont go around telling people ohhh it is not necessary cause it is. No wonder the non muslims who dont know anything about Islam think we are some oppressed women and girls who decide to wear hijab.

ummsami89

hijab vs no hijab

Salam aliakum.
Hijab is mandatory but its also a choice. Whether you want to obey Allah swt or not. My husband hates that sentence...."hijab is a choice". I do wear hijab. I am a convert of almost 8 years and I have been in hijab 7 years. I converted in January of 2000 and put hijab on fulltime in Nov 2000 during Ramadan. I, myself cant imagine life without hijab. but thats me. It doesnt mean I struggle with it on occasion. I do. I work in a dept store and I am the only muslim there......that I know of.........esp in hijab. At one point, there were 3 other sisters working there.......2 in hijab and 2 not. The other sister was a new muslim who wore hijab but she also wanted to wear full jilbab too. AND I TALKED HER OUT OF IT........shame on me. I thought hijab was enough in the job she had, and she was single and lived alone..........for her safety and to prevent problems. That wasnt right of me. I have apologized since. I wish I could wear jilbab fulltime but i am weak in that respect. My elderly mom has enough issues with hijab. so I am not wearing it( jilbab that is). I shouldnt be people conscious.or people fearing. just Allah conscious, Allah fearing. subhanallah. I think if I had enough jilbabs to wear everyday, it would be somewhat easier. or maybe not. Allahu Allum.
Anyway, a sister who doesnt wear hijab .........it doesnt mean she is less religious than myself or doesnt pray or fast or practice her:ma: faith less than me. She could be a heckuva lot better muslimah than myself. Inshallah all the sisters will be strong and put on hijab fulltime. But if they dont, dont judge them.........let Allah swt. Its not our call. just be the best muslimah or muslim that you can be because you are responsible for yourself on the day of judgement. noone else will be there, right? Inshallah.
have a good day everyone. You too, sister Aminah. I love you for the sake of Allah.
your sister in Islam,:muslim_child: :hijabi:
jamie
aka ummsami 89

ummsami89

correction

I meant to say ........
I do struggle with hijab on occasion.........not It doesnt mean I struggle with it on occasion. I do.

jabba

Salafi Dawah is the best
assalamu alaikum brothers and sisters
sister aamina came to her muslim brothers and sisters to share her sadness with them, but they were very harsh on them and misunderstood her. it was sad to read some of the replies. it is important to look a muslim just as it is important to act muslim. nobody is judging anybody so please don't tell sister aamina that she is judging non hijabi sisters. she is only expressing her concerns.

wassalam

Salam Bawar
She was expressing her concerns as were other members here. There is a difference between expressing concerns and jumping to assumptions that non hijabi women are out there to look like "kaffirs". This concern could have been posed as a productive dialogue instead it was more like an attack on non hijabi women......this is one of the things that is wrong with our Ummah today.:wasalam:

aaminah

salam brothers and sisters, i apreciate your honest opinion on my posts. i realize that there are a whole lot of things that i need to know in Islam and muslims, my knowledge is mostly based on what I read in Islam books, it is only recently that i've begun seeing/noticing the reality.. i was too sad that i did'nt think before i post what i feel without considering how others would feel, i agree i have no right to judge people Astaghfirullah, i sincerely apologize, i have no intension to do so.

aaminah

Someone posted something here that Islam, the religion, is perfect but not muslims(... like me.) I also started reading postings here concerning hijab and is impressed on how careful they are with their words as not to offend anyone.. my apology..

Saifu deen

Alhamdullah..
:bismillah:

Baraka Allah feeki sister aaminah. Who does not make mistakes?.

I must learn lots of things about islam too, and my knowledge is based on what I have read. Inshallah Allah (SWT) help us all to improve our knowledge and make us among the muu'miniin

I believe without mistakes we can never learn..

lostlilly07

striving 4 Firadous
IN islam says if you see a wrong you should correct it so what is the big deal and If I see someone not dressing properly I am going to correct them, I also going to make Dua for that perosn/...........I think we have become soft as a nation