Karen Armstrong

Zafran

Muslim Brother
Salaam

Just brought the book - A short history of Islam by Karen Armstrong

Has anyone read her books or know her work?

Ashima33

I have not read any of her books, but have wanted to. Actually, I just realized I do have History of God I've heard a lot of good things about her. Let me know how it is.

pcozzy

:salam2:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_Armstrong

I wouldn't bother since this claims she is Jewish. But it would be nice to see what non muslims say about Islam so you can reference.

You learn to play basketball from a basketball coach. Doctor learns from Doctor. And a Muslim or anybody interested in Islam should learn from a Muslim. After all if you believe in something wouldn't you apply it to your life; if you truly believe.

:wasalam:

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

I have listened to her and read commentaries about her works. She is a respected scholar and has insight into Islam. However, I wonder given her knowledge she still denies the Truth.

Ashima33

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_Armstrong

I wouldn't bother since this claims she is Jewish. But it would be nice to see what non muslims say about Islam so you can reference.

You learn to play basketball from a basketball coach. Doctor learns from Doctor. And a Muslim or anybody interested in Islam should learn from a Muslim. After all if you believe in something wouldn't you apply it to your life; if you truly believe.

Salaam,

This is not a woman who claims to know all about Islam. I'm sure she's just sharing her perspective, which you're right... would be very interesting to see from a non-muslim. She actually used to be a catholic nun... so I would be even more interested to see what she has to say... now I kinda want to go get that book! =)
I just watched this video of her acceptance speech for some compassion award. It's really interesting and I like when she says, "A lot of times... people who are religious want to be right more than they want to be compassionate." So true...

http://www.youtube.com/v/SJMm4RAwVLo&hl=en&fs=1

xSharingan01x

TraVeLer

If you're looking for books about the Prophet :saw: then please buy from Muslim scholars, however if you're looking to buy books on Islamic history then I would say go ahead and buy her book. She is probably one of the most respected (by Muslims and non Muslims) of the oreiantalist.
The Imam at my masjid said her book on Prophet Muhammad :saw: is not bad at all.
The reason I'm saying this is because there aren't alot of literature about Islamic history by Muslim authors that have been translated. I'm not sure if you know arabic, if you do then I suggest you buy books by Muslim authors.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
Salaam

Just brought the book - A short history of Islam by Karen Armstrong

Has anyone read her books or know her work?

As-salaamu `alaykum.

You are probably better off with "A Short History of Islam" by S.E. Djazairi. Allaah knows best.

Was-salaam

LaLa09

♥Amor vincit omnia♥
She's a good historian, my father read two of her books which i haven't read yet. I started it but never got to the 2nd chapter. I see her sometimes on the history channel or other educational programs.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum.

No problem. In that case it's probably worth the purchase, it's only £0.99 (exc. deliver) on amazon.co.uk if you get it from a seller.