Listing some of my personal problems due to my culture

Amina 1

:salam2:

I just wanted to post some of the personal problems I have had due to the culture I was raised in.
I have a hard time not making eye contact my whole life I was taught that it was rude not to make eye contact especially when talking to someone.
Shaking hands I was also taught to shake someones hand when you meet them.
Then there is the no talking to men thing I have diffucluty because growing up I always had boys as friends I used to play football ,climb trees , wrestle and play in the creek. I was not very lady like at all.
If I am out with my husband and a women I know comes to talk to me I was taught it was very rude to not introduce her.
I was also taught that If my husband meets one of his friends it is rude if he does not introduce me.
If I ignore his friend and don't even look at him or at least say something I am considered very rude.
I don't believe in these rules anymore but It is hard to control my actions sometimes because these reactions come to me naturally.
But I am trying my best to change them.
Well I guess I am writing this because I feel guilty, I have been going to the halal market to buy my food and there is a brother who works in the meat department nice beard ,handsome.
Anyway I have to talk to him to order my meat or if I have a question.
I also crack jokes alot, (I used to be a clown for two years yes I was a clown my name was twinkles)
I never went out of my way to talk to him, but all of a sudden he would come to the register every time I went to check out. About the third time this happened I all of a sudden started liking him very much (Satan is very evil) So now I send my husband to pick up the food.
I don't know if this guy actually started liking me or not but I sure started liking him. It was wrong for me to make direct eye contact when talking I am sorry I hope Allah can forgive me.:shymuslima1::tti_sister:

zainab bala

Allah is sufficient.
Wa alaikumus salam wa rahmatullah.
Sister i can understand your situation, sometimes tradition sticked to us more than our religion, its good that you are trying to do away with yours. Your husband should be the only person you love, dont allow yourself to fall into the trap of satan.
May Allah guide us all.

BigAk

I urge you to not complicate your life too much... This religion should be easy. Allah said that He wants to make it easy on you and not complex and hard. Here's how it goes in arabic:

"Yu'reedu Allah bikum al yusra wala yu'reedu bikum al usr"

All man made rules and traditions are can make your life usr... and they are often a case of deterent away from Islam. And that's a very unfortunate situation.

Abu Hannah

Slave of Allah
I am not gonna go 'Haraam police' on you sister, but you should close the door to temptation. I also grew up in a very secular manner, but once we choose to obey our creator completely, it calls for a complete 'reprograming' of everything. Zina of the eyes can lead to zina of the body, and that's something that we don't want on our scale of deeds. May Allah give us all iman. Ameen

a_stranger

:salam2:

I think that each muslem should struggle to make his faith in Allah swt grow and always should try to defeat shaytan (satan ) and desires. The whispers of satan will never stop , our ownselves will never be satisfied till we full our hearts with love of Allah swt, hope for Paradise and fear of hell. We should be satisfied will all that Allah swt gave us and thank him for his gifts.

16:31 Gardens of Eternity which they will enter: beneath them flow (pleasant) rivers: they will have therein all that they wish: thus doth Allah reward the righteous,-
Translation of the meanings of Quran

IbnAhmad

salaam

i dont think we should be harsh on the sister and actually realise it is not easy in such circumstances; also she is making a sincere effort...so we should instead encourage..and make du'a inshaAllah...

may allah swt make it easy for you sis amina!!!! amiin.
keep smiling :) :) :)

wassalam