Lizards

gangstaat

Allah Hu Akbar
is this true that by killing lizards we get sawaab?
i've heard it somewhere just wanted to confirm.
Thank u.

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Assalaamu alaikum,

I read that in some book published in Turkey (forgot the title) but then Alhamdulillaah found out the book was written by a Sufi. We're told to be kind to all Allaah swt's creation. I don't see any harm in lizards, poor thing.

Nazihah

Be A Stranger
Assalamualaikum,

I've heard this before too. I tried finding a hadith relating to it, but nothing close to it.
I've heard that we have to kill the lizard because it was the one who alerted (making the sound) the Jews (if I'm not wrong) that someone (Prophet Muhammad s.a.w) was in the cave. Hence, the killing of lizards.

Since, I couldn't find any hadith related, I guess it's not true that we have to kill the lizards.

Nazihah

Be A Stranger
LOL... Yea, I read that too in the hadith. But Prophet Muhammad s.a.w disliked(not in favour of) it.

And I definitely wouldn't try to even taste it.

muharram23

Staff member
Assalamualaikum,

I've heard this before too. I tried finding a hadith relating to it, but nothing close to it.
I've heard that we have to kill the lizard because it was the one who alerted (making the sound) the Jews (if I'm not wrong) that someone (Prophet Muhammad s.a.w) was in the cave. Hence, the killing of lizards.

Since, I couldn't find any hadith related, I guess it's not true that we have to kill the lizards.

not lizzard , but scorpion

muharram23

Staff member
Assalaamu alaikum,

I read that in some book published in Turkey (forgot the title) but then Alhamdulillaah found out the book was written by a Sufi. We're told to be kind to all Allaah swt's creation. I don't see any harm in lizards, poor thing.

salamu alaykum

there are 5 species from the sunnah that are to be killed. These 5 are named by resulullullah s.vs and they should be killed even if you are in a state of ihram.

‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with them both) narrated that Hafsah said: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“There are five animals for which there is no blame on the one who kills them: crows, kites (hawk-like birds), mice/rats, scorpions and mad dogs.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 1828. (Translators’ note: the Arabic word fa’rah may refer to rats or mice, so both are mentioned in the translation).

Al-Qaasim ibn Muhammad said: I heard ‘Aa’ishah, the wife of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), say: I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say:

“There are four things which are faasiq (corrupt) and may be killed at all times, whether one is in a state of ihraam [for Hajj and ‘Umrah] or not: kites, crows, mice/rats and mad dogs.” Narrated by Muslim, 1198.

Mice and rats are harmful creatures, as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) explained:

Ibn ‘Abbaas said: a mouse (or rat) came and started dragging the wick (of the lamp). It threw it in front of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), onto the mat on which he was sitting, and it burnt a hole the size of a dirham. He said, “When you go to sleep, extinguish your lamps, for the Shaytaan will tell creatures like this to do something like this so that you will be burned.” Narrated by Abu Dawood, 5427.

The mice or rats that may live in people’s houses are among the harmful creatures or vermin (fuwaysiqah) which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) commanded us to kill in all situations, whether we are in ihraam or not. The root of the word fuwaysiqah (fasaqa) means to deviate from the right way and to do harm; hence a sinner is described as “faasiq”, and these animals are called fawaasiq, as a metaphor for their evil nature; or it was said that it is because it is not haraam to kill them, whether one is in ihraam or not, for they have no sanctity or protection in any circumstances. Al-Tahaawi narrated in Ahkaam al-Qur’aan with his isnaad from Yazeed ibn Abu Nu’aym that he [Yazeed] asked Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri why mice/rats were called fuwaysiqah. He said: the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) woke up one night and saw that a mouse/rat had taken the wick of the lamp to burn down the house of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), so he got up and killed it, and said that it was permissible to kill them whether one is in ihraam or not. This was mentioned by al-‘Allaamah al-Dumayri.

Al-Bukhaari and Muslim narrated in their Saheehs that Abu Moosa al-Ash’ari said: A house in Madeenah burned down with its people inside. When the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) heard about this, he said:

“This fire is an enemy to you, so when you go to sleep, extinguish it.”

Al-Bukhaari narrated that Jaabir ibn ‘Abd-Allaah said: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“Cover the vessels, for the mouse/rat may drag out the wick (of the lamp) and burn the occupants of the house.”

Something similar was narrated by Muslim, in which he says: “For the fuwaysiqah may start a fire and burn the house and its occupants.”

Al-Tabari said, explaining these ahaadeeth: if a person wants to spend the night in a house in which there is no one else, and in which there is a fire or a lamp, it is a duty on him to extinguish it before he sleeps… The hadeeth was narrated by al-Haakim; he said its isnaad is saheeh.

(From ‘Awn al-Ma’bood Sharh Abi Dawood).

Now that we know Islam calls mice and rats fuwaysiqah (evil) and allows us to kill them even in Makkah, and that they are a means which the Shaytaan tried to use to burn down the house of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and we know that they are one of the main reasons of damaging food and spreading the plague, we find it very strange that the foolish people in the west seek to make their children like mice and rats by propagating the character of Mickey Mouse in games, comics and funfairs. Go figure!!

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

BintMuhammad

Staff member
salamu alaykum

there are 5 species from the sunnah that are to be killed. These 5 are named by resulullullah s.vs and they should be killed even if you are in a state of ihram.

:salam2:

Yes Alhamdulillaah I'm aware of that. That's why I said "I don't see any harm in Lizards" because if you notice the 5 animals mentioned can cause harm.

twas19

Salaam alaikum

I simply hate lizards they are nasty my dad kills them when ever he see's one especially the house lizards ughhhh!!!!you know they got more poison than a snake contains..

wasalam

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
is this true that by killing lizards we get sawaab?
i've heard it somewhere just wanted to confirm.
Thank u.

I think you mean salamanders. If so, yes there is a reward in killing them.

Killing salamanders is prescribed because there is a great deal of evidence to that effect. It should be done with a tool or instrument, etc. There is nothing in the reports to specify that they should be killed by hand or to encourage killing them by hand. I do not think that this is correct and there is no report to this effect. That is alien to Islamic teaching and good characteristics.

In al-Saheehayn and elsewhere it is narrated via Sa’eed ibn al-Musayyib that Um Shareek told him that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told her to kill salamanders. According to the report narrated by al-Bukhaari, he said:

“It (the salamander) used to blow on Ibraaheem, peace be upon him.”

In Saheeh Muslim it is narrated via ‘Abd al-Razzaaq, Mu’ammar told us from al-Zuhri from ‘Aamir ibn Sa’d from his father that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said enjoined the killing of salamanders and called them mischief doers.

Killing salamanders with one blow brings more reward than killing them with two blows. This was narrated in Saheeh Muslim via Khaalid ibn ‘Abd-Allaah from Suhayl ibn Abi Saalih from his father from Abu Hurayrah, that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“Whoever kills a salamander with one blow will have such and such hasanah (good deeds); whoever kills it with the second blow will have such and such hasanah, less than the first; and whoever kills it with three blows will have such and such hasanah – less that the second.”

Shaykh Sulaymaan al-‘Alwaan.

Ibn Maajah (may Allaah have mercy on him) narrated in his Sunan from Saa’ibah the slave woman of al-Faakih ibn al-Mugheerah that she entered upon ‘Aa’ishah and saw a spear sitting there in her house. She said, “O Mother of the Believers, what do you do with this?” She said, “We kill these salamanders with it, because the Prophet of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told us that when Ibraaheem was thrown into the fire, there was no animal on earth but it tried to extinguish the fire, except for the salamander, which was blowing on the fire (to keep it burning). So the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) commanded that they should be killed.”

(Sunan Ibn Maajah, 3222. He said in al-Zawaa’id, the isnaad of ‘Aa’ishah’s hadeeth is saheeh, its men are thiqaat (trustworthy)

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Bawar

Struggling2Surrender
it is sad to read threads about killing.
you are giving even more support to the accusations of anti-muslims that "muslims are backwards, terrorists, uncivilised,....concerned with killing..".

lets learn about building, curing, constructing....

if it is sawab (good deed) to kill certain animals, Allah swt would not creat them in the first place.

wassalam

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
it is sad to read threads about killing.
you are giving even more support to the accusations of anti-muslims that "muslims are backwards, terrorists, uncivilised,....concerned with killing..".

lets learn about building, curing, constructing....

if it is sawab (good deed) to kill certain animals, Allah swt would not creat them in the first place.

wassalam

:wasalam:Brother,

The brother asked a question. I answered with giving reference.

When there is something in the Quran or Sunnah that I seem not to like or swallow, I just keep silent. My little brain might not be able to understand or comprehend the wisdom behind some rulings in the Quran or Sunnah. This is just me. I ask Allah SWT to open my heart and mind some day to understand. In the meantime, I obey Allah SWT and His Messenger.

About learning about building, constructing, curing,........... That`s all beautiful and needed, but tell that to those who are killing our Brothers and Sisters, to those who rape our Sisters, to those who are destroyinging our countries, to those who are bombing our mosques,.............

Yeay for animal rights!!

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic

Question: I was reading a newspaper column that presents question and answers in the light of the Sunnah. A reader had asked whether killing a gecko earned a Muslim reward. To my utter shock, the answer given by the columnist was in the affirmative. He justified his position with strange sort of reasoning that defies common sense and logic. According to the columnist, there is a major reward for killing a gecko because, when Abraham (peace be upon him) was thrown into the fire, it was a gecko that kept blowing upon the flames to make them burn higher. I am in deep distress after reading this. Even if it is true that a gecko did that, does it mean every gecko should be punished for it? Please shed some light on this matter.

Answer:

Umm Shurayk relates that Allah’s Messenger peace be upon him ordered the wazagh to be killed, and he said:

“It had blown on (the fire) of Abraham (peace be upon him).” [Sahîh al-Bukhârî (3359)]

The animal in question is a type of house gecko known in Arabic by the name wazagh. It is a common household pest in the Middle East that lives on the walls and in the crevices of people’s homes.

The instruction to kill the wazagh is no different than the instruction to kill the scorpion, the poisonous snake, the mouse, and the feral dog that attacks people.

There is an authentic hadîth that mentions the killing of the “five serious pests” in both normal lands as well as in the sacred precincts, and they are the snake, the scorpion, the feral dog, the mouse, and the kite (a type of bird of prey). The reason these animals may be killed is because they are pests that cause harm to people when they make their homes in places of human habitation. These pests were known in Arabia to cause harm.

The instruction to kill the wazagh is for the same reason – it is a pest that poses harm to people. If a wazagh comes in contact with the skin, it can sometimes induce serious irritation. For this reason, it is also known to Arabs as sâmm abras (literally, “the leprosy venom”).

It is not killed because of its blowing on the fire kindled for Abraham (peace be upon him). When Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) informed us that the wazagh blew upon the fire of Abraham (peace be upon him) to help fan the flames, he was merely depicting the distastefulness of the animal and the extent of its harmfulness. He was merely characterizing this species as an unpleasant one.

As for your question of what sin is upon the wazaghs of today so that all of them should be punished for the act of a single wazagh of antiquity, we say that this is not the case at all. We are instructed to kill the wazagh simply because it is a harmful household pest, since it irritates people’s skin and it also forces people to discard the food that it comes in contact with. This is the reason why it should be killed, to preserve the comfort and cleanliness of places of human habitation, and not because of any sin of some past wazagh.

And Allah knows best.

Islamtoday