Lucid Dreaming

Ahsen

:salam2:

Has anyone tried lucid dreaming?It feels like real,completely real.The only difference is that we forget it's effect after a few days.

A lucid dream, in simplest terms, is a dream in which one is aware that one is dreaming.

When you are in a lucid dream you can control your actions as the way you want,which is totally in contrast with a normal dream.

samiha

---------
Staff member
wa `alaykum salaam wa rahmatullaah

Yeah, for a period of my life I was very engaged by the concept. Even counted my fingers throughout the day in hopes that maybe in a dream I could imitate it and become 'lucid'. I'm afraid I failed miserably. I believe my dream state loves doing whatever it is that it's doing without any normal conscious representation.

I have wondered before, that aside from pure entertainment, what usages could be put to use by this? And at times even questioned if it was possible and whether upon waking a person would feel tired, since I think the idea of letting go while sleeping appeals to most people.

Regardless, psychologically it's a fun idea.

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Assalamu`alaykum Warahmatullahi

Inception....lol

Yes I have experienced this many times I am fed up of it makes me feel so tired sometimes ruins my half day if it was a bad one..

Ahsen

I had it 2 times.First was very short.Second was a full lucid dream.I didn't felt tired after the dream but was happy.For those who can't experience it by themselves,the researchers have invented some kind of sounds which are ocean waves but have hidden messages within them.I used them to help me with lucid dreams.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah

Does a lucid dream fall under a person's own control? I mean, I've had some dreams where sometimes something funny would happen, and in the dream I would say to myself: I will tell my brothers about this when I wake up. Does this fall under the category of a lucid dream?

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Lucid dreaming is not a good idea. Very often it is used as an instrument to open doors to the world of spirits. Be careful this is playing with fire.

tariq353

completely nu topic 4 me.......earlier with respect to dreams i was aware of only this much..

Sahih muslim
Bk 29, Number 5616:
Abu Qatada reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: A good vision is from Allah and a bad dream (hulm) is from the satan; so if one of you sees anything (in a dream which he dislikes, he should spit on his left side thrice and seek refuge with Allah from its evil, and then it will never harm him. Abu Salama said: I used to see dreams weighing more heavily upon me than a mountain; but since I heard this hadith I don't care for it (its burden).

Bk 29, Number 5618:
Abu Qatada reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: The good vision are from Allah and the evil dreams are from the satan. If one sees a dream which one does not like, one should spit on one's left side and seek the refuge of Allah from the satan; it will not do one any harm, and one should not disclose it to anyone and if one sees a good vision one should feel pleased but should not disclose it to anyone but whom one loves.

Bk 29, Number 5621:
Abu Huraira reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: When the time draws near (when the Resurrection is near) a believer's dream can hardly be false. And the truest vision will be of one who is himself the most truthful in speech, for the vision of a Muslim is the forty−fifth part of Prophecy, and dreams are of three types: one good dream which is a sort of good tidings from Allah; the evil dream which causes pain is from the satan; and the third one is a suggestion of one's own mind; so if any one of you sees a dream which he does not like he should stand tip and offer prayer and he should not relate it to people, and he said: I would love to see fetters (in the dream), but I dislike wearing of necklace, for the fetters is (an indication of) one's steadfastness in religion. The narrator said: I do not know whether this is a part of the hadith or the words of Ibn Sirin.

Bk 29, Number 5635:
Abu Huraira reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: He who saw me in a dream in fact saw me, for the satan does not appear in my form.

jazak allah khair

wa salam

:)

MohammedMaksudul

May Allah Forgive us

I remember, many days back when I was young, I had one or two lucid dream. The dreams were bad and I saw that I was falling off, things like that but once I understood that it is just a dream then I wanted to control myself and I made my dream into a cartoon. I made stairs to walk on, etc. Often I have a dream like this though, where upon I see something bad happening to me or sometimes I see a dark figure holding me, or sitting beside my head and I feel like suffocating and not being able to move, unless I use force and shake myself really hard.

samiha

---------
Staff member
In all honesty, thinking any machine or contraption was whispering hidden messages to me is beyond creepy. No thank you.

On the other hand I'd heard of machines that blink certain lights on your eyes when you're at the point of sleep where you're assumed to be dreaming, so that you recognize the lights and are able to 'wake up' while dreaming. I don't think however, simply for the interest of the idea I'd get any machines or what not for it.

And sis Tabassum I don't think so. A lucid dream is one where you are aware and able to manipulate your surroundings and states whilst in the dream itself.

Assalaam walaikum,

Lucid dreaming is not a good idea. Very often it is used as an instrument to open doors to the world of spirits. Be careful this is playing with fire.

wa `alaykum salaam wa rahmatullaah

Interesting idea. Maybe that's why I never got a lucid dream, the spirits don't like me.

No no, in all seriousness, if you could elaborate on where that information came from I'd appreciate it. Dreams and sleeping are assuredly related to the soul, and is likened to the state of death - and waking thus a form of resurrection. And yes, by the opinion of some scholars it is not possible for a person to realize he's dreaming since it is similar to the state of death; but I don't think I've ever heard of it being an entry to the world of spirits, so I'd like to know more about where you might have heard this.

And on that note, what spirits are these exactly?

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Sister, many many moons ago I used to manage a bookstore. I would constantly receive requests for books on the occult. Included in the lists were books on lucid dreaming and automatic writing.

By spirits..these were kinda sorta like Wicians people...they wanted to get in touch with dead relatives or free spirits floating around.

In my conversations I learned that a prerequisite for contact with the "other side" a person would need to be in an altered state; a semi-conscious state; a state that would not be filled with normal filtering devices we use to label an experience reality. In other words these people played with witchcraft.

( It was I believe what we fight: the whisperings of shytan. )

Ahsen

In my opinion people get dreams from reality.I mean they see glimpse from the real life.You can get scary dreams if your real life is messy and you can get good ones if you are happy.

@Samiha You can say that because you have never tried it.

@Aapa what do you mean by spirits?I only know of jinns.As far as i know dead people's souls go to another world which i have heard as "Aalam-e-Barzakh" if i am correct.

I have seen the devil so many times in my dreams that now i am not scared of it anymore atleast in a dream.

I was remembering what our teacher used to say.He said that azaab will be on souls and imagine if a person is going through azaab and you don't know it because he is in another world.Lucid dreaming is also somewhat similar.We go into another world which is very much real.

If we can get some islamic point of view on this then it will very good.I have read many islamic books but not in one i have found any slightest mention of lucid dreaming.

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
hmmm facinating......I am still learning about lucid dreams in my psychology class but I am too of a chicken to try it myself :p
but it is kind of interesting to know that some people really did try and it worked !

auroran

I used to have lucid dreams a lot when I accidentally slept with the light left on but I couldn't remember much of it.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I was using the word spirit as used by those who were interested in making contact with the unseen world. The word jinn is not in their vocabulary nor do they have knowledge.
They just wanted to delve into the unseen world at any cost. They used lucid dreams as a mechanism to make contact with ghosts, spirits, the unsettled ones, and some as far as seeking shytans.

I did not want anything to do with this. So I left it alone. This was some thirty years ago.

DanyalSAC

I would have lucid dreams on occassion, but they weren't inspired by anything I had done. They just happened. But in most cases when I realized I was dreaming I ended up waking myself up.

And to expound on what our sister Aapa said, I did know many Wiccans and other "spiritualist" types who would use lucid dreams to try to predict the future or awaken "past life experiences". I found the whole idea rather silly.

MohammedMaksudul

May Allah Forgive us
Assalaam walaikum,

Sister, many many moons ago I used to manage a bookstore. I would constantly receive requests for books on the occult. Included in the lists were books on lucid dreaming and automatic writing.

By spirits..these were kinda sorta like Wicians people...they wanted to get in touch with dead relatives or free spirits floating around.

In my conversations I learned that a prerequisite for contact with the "other side" a person would need to be in an altered state; a semi-conscious state; a state that would not be filled with normal filtering devices we use to label an experience reality. In other words these people played with witchcraft.

( It was I believe what we fight: the whisperings of shytan. )

Sister Aapa, I would like to draw your attention to this:

What do you mean by spirits? Did you swear by the spirits? If so, I would kindly ask you to refrain from it as this amounts to a great sin. Because only Allah can swear by His creations, which he does in many places of the Quran like Surat Al-Asr, where He, The Exalted says, By time, etc. But His creations, as in us, we can only swear by Him, like we can find many sahabas and our prophet saying, " By Him in Whose Hand my Soul is", etc. You may want to read the book Explanation of the three fundamentals of Islam By Shaikh ibn Uthaymeen. It is a book of aqeedah and I think we all should properly read it, as it is pretty good. Plus we should also read other proper and good books on aqeedah, because shirk is one of the last thing we want to die upon.

abdul-aziz

just don't take no drugs to incite the dreaming, you might just go mental on us.

I learned when I was 10, in Karate school (I never made it passed yellow), the method of meditation.

It does wonders, not only I can sleep when I really want to, but I could also take a break from stressful situations.

I am almost sure when initiating the techniques that I fall into lucid dreaming. But usually when I wake up I have no time to reflect on them because I have to hurry.

in case you are wondering of the technique it is super simple. First relax your muscles from toes to head one by one letting them go free no tension.

Then your mind will start thinking of events of the day and what you have to do tomorrow. so on so forth. Stop it. Think of a white sheet of paper. everytime you find yourself thinking of something go back to the white sheet of paper. Till you fall asleep.

Now if you want to recall your dreams wake up in less than 90 minutes.
:wasalam:

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

No, I did not swear by any spirits. I came into contact with many people who were interested in the occult due to my job. As I wrote before I did not venture into this world. And thank you for your concern. This was thirty years ago.

Be careful with meditation. You need highly trained teachers.

MaddieTheHijabi

I find it interesting how some can conclude that lucid dreaming has anything to do with contacting spirits/jinns/unseen world. I think the correct term for that would be Astral Projection. Not Lucid Dreaming. Lucid Dreaming is...a dream! It's all in our minds. We are just able to take control of it. However it is not real. It's still your subconscious at work. Astral Projection however, has been said to be real and many encounter 'beings'and different dimensions while their consciousness travels. I know it sounds silly, but it is quite possible. I'm not saying it's halal though.