Misleading Books..

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeneesha

~trini_muslimah~
:salam2:
I'm a member of the national library(NALIS) in Trinidad, and usually I look for islamic books. I've read this one ' Teach Yourself Islam' by Ruqaiyah Maqsood. it states that if a couple divorce, they can remarry a 2nd time, but if they divorce again, then the woman has to marry another and divorce, to make herself available for the 1st husband. Although I know doing this intentionally is wrong. Can someone confirm this?
:SMILY138: This other book 'What Everyone Needs to Know About Islam' by John Esposito.... says that muslims face mecca to pray, he didn't say the Ka'aba. He says that not all dancing is forbidden in islam, because there's the traditional arabian dancing at events. He also said that we descended from Abraham.
I didn't continue to read the book, because I was getting too angry at it... I jus skipped through some topics.
Mind you, these authors are non muslims and also wrote books about other religions.
Now I no longer borrow islamic books there. Apparently a lot of authors are telling lies about islam, and making non muslims believe it.
Another thing, I was sooo surprised to see that the library has the Holy Quran as form of reference. The original texts as well. I mean a lot of people in unclean state will pick up the book, some people may even abuse it...
There are actually about 7 or 8 Qurans there.
The library is not really useful to me again, because I won't read other books to waste my time, and certainly not any that tell lies...
:SMILY309: :SMILY309: :SMILY309:

ShaheedU

Extinct
Waalaikumassalaam,

Every time i see a book with an asian author, i get pretty worried(bida'h). You know the Muftis and such from the indian subcontinent. Not that all the non-asians are squeaky clean or anything.

How can a non-muslim teach you about islaam?

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
I've read this one ' Teach Yourself Islam' by Ruqaiyah Maqsood. it states that if a couple divorce, they can remarry a 2nd time, but if they divorce again, then the woman has to marry another and divorce, to make herself available for the 1st husband. Although I know doing this intentionally is wrong. Can someone confirm this?

:wasalam:

If a man divorces his wife and this is the first or second talaaq and she has not ended her ‘iddah (by giving birth if she is pregnant or by the passage of three menstrual cycles), then he can take his wife back by saying, “I am taking you back” or “I am keeping you.” Then his taking her back is valid. Or he may do some action intending thereby to take her back, such as having intercourse with the intention of taking her back.

The Sunnah is to have two witnesses to the fact that he has taken her back, so that two witnesses testify to that, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Then when they are about to attain their term appointed, either take them back in a good manner or part with them in a good manner. And take as witness two just persons from among you (Muslims)”[al-Talaaq 65:2]

In this manner a man may take his wife back.

But if the ‘iddah has ended following a first or second talaaq, then there has to be a new marriage contract. In this case he has to propose marriage like any other man, to her guardian and to her. When she and her guardian agree and they agree upon a mahr, then the marriage contract is completed. That must be done in the presence of two just witnesses.

But if the divorce is the final – i.e., third – divorce, then she becomes haraam for him until another man has married her, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And if he has divorced her (the third time), then she is not lawful unto him thereafter until she has married another husband” [al-Baqarah 2:230]

So it is not permissible for him to marry her unless she has been married to another man and the marriage has been consummated, then he leaves her either through death or divorce. This marriage must be a legitimate shar’i marriage; if she marries him just to make it permissible for her to go back to her first husband, that is not permitted and she does not become permissible (to the first husband).

See Fataawa al-Talaaq by Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz, 1/195-201.

Maria Norway

As-salamu alaikum!

Hi there!!

Yeah, I've read Teach Yourself Islam as well...well the beginning bit...after reading some stuff I found a bit weird I asked my muslim friend about it..and was told that the book contains alot of stuff that has to do with culture and not islam.

If you are interested in some good reading material I will suggest 'From my sister lips'. It is a story about a woman from Zimbabwe and her journey towards Islam..and her life as a muslim. Very entertaining but very educational at the same time.

Just remember when you read anything that is not the Quran or Hadith there might be opinions involved...

Salam :hijabi:

AishaR

An excellent book to read is - Muhammad, his life based on the earliest sources by Martin Lings. It is very easy to read & full of information.

zeneesha

~trini_muslimah~
:salam2: sisters
Jazak Allah Khair.
I will check for those books at the library, insha Allah.
Actually I haven't heard of either that you mentioned.

Amirah84

Hi there!!

Yeah, I've read Teach Yourself Islam as well...well the beginning bit...after reading some stuff I found a bit weird I asked my muslim friend about it..and was told that the book contains alot of stuff that has to do with culture and not islam.

If you are interested in some good reading material I will suggest 'From my sister lips'. It is a story about a woman from Zimbabwe and her journey towards Islam..and her life as a muslim. Very entertaining but very educational at the same time.

Just remember when you read anything that is not the Quran or Hadith there might be opinions involved...

Salam :hijabi:

I just saw this thread today. The sister comes to our uni annually, I mean sister Naaima, during our reverts conference. She went to our uni so that's why I guess she feels close to it. She's such a good sister mashaAllah, and I meet her just when I had started practising properly and she had such a huge influence on me. May ALlah reward her and her family, ameen. Oh if she's coming this year i;ll let u sisters know.

Salama aleikum

Sister Amirah

mahussain3

Son of Aa'ishah(R.A)
Waalaikumassalaam,

You know the Muftis and such from the indian subcontinent.

Can we know what do you mean by this??

According to my knolwedege the world has seen the many greatest Ula'mas and Muftis frm the Indian sub continent.
And for your knid information, Darul-uloom-Dewband Madarsa is in New Delhi,India which has been producing many greatest scholars frm every race,every country every year.
Students frm many countries got admitted in it every year.It is second famous Madrasa in world after Al-Azhar.
And Nizamuddin,New Delhi is the Head quaters(centre) of DAWAH work on this earth.....................
And the DAWAH work on this earth has started frm INDIAN only.............So be thankful to Allah and to the Ulam'as of India who thought to start the work of Dawah on this earth,which has brought thousands of Non-Muslims to Islam.

So please think before you post.....
Sorry if i sounds rude.............

Globalpeace

Banned
Waalaikumassalaam,

Every time i see a book with an asian author, i get pretty worried(bida'h). You know the Muftis and such from the indian subcontinent. Not that all the non-asians are squeaky clean or anything.

Asslamo Allaikum,

That categorical & empathic statement simply implies that unfortunately you lack the knowledge to judge, some common Asian names for you…

1) Shaykh Safiur-Rahman MubarakPuri (Sealed Nectar)
2) Dr F Abdur-Raheem (Author of Arabic course)
3) Shaykh Abul-Hasan Ali Nadwi (King Faisal Award & one the greatest scholars of Arabic language)
4) Mufti Taqi Usmani (Grand-Mufti of Pakistan & needs no introduction)
5) Badee'uddin Rashidi Sindhi (A great Muhadith)
6) Allamah Ehsan Elahi Zaheer (RA)
7) And in the current crop in the West:
a. Yasir Qadhi
b. Toufiq Chawdry

I have just listed the one that you would know of top of your head.

You did make me smile...Jazakullah Khairun:SMILY288:

An excellent book to read is - Muhammad, his life based on the earliest sources by Martin Lings. It is very easy to read & full of information.

Asslamo Allaikum,

I humbly & requestfully disagree with you. I understand that many Reverts have read this book but my comments are posted on TTI, please search.

Globalpeace

Banned
Shaikh Muhammad Hayaat bin Ibraaheem As-Sindee (RA)

Waalaikumassalaam,

Asslamo Allaikum,

Forgot to mention in my post is that the current Dawah in Saudia termed as "Salafi Dawah" was actually started by the student of an Asian Hanafi (Indian Shyakh) and his biogrpahy is as follows:

http://al-ibaanah.com/bios.php?BioID=29

ShaheedU

Extinct
Asslamo Allaikum,

That categorical & empathic statement simply implies that unfortunately you lack the knowledge to judge, some common Asian names for you…

wa alaikumassalaam,

I think that sentence says it all, im afraid you are right.

But i didnt mean that ALL muftis and such were deviant, just that from MY personal experience, a LOT of literature which i have read and classed as 'dodgy' accordingly have been written by people from the indian subcontinent. You know the type right? The ones who say 'blind follow imams, its fardh' and 'Allaah is everywhere, its silly to limit him like that'......and stuff like that.

But yeh, that was prejudiced of me to say and therefore i retract my statement. :D

kayleigh

Karen Armstrong and Martin Lings are pretty much the only mainstream non-Muslim authors I trust to write about Islam. (At least, as far as I know, Lings isn't Muslim.) You don't have to be Muslim to understand or study Islam, and it's entirely possible to have a non-Muslims know more about Islam than a Muslim. You have to be careful as to who the authors are - even if they're Muslim.

This reminds me of our Islam unit in school, which was good for the most part. But the one glaring mistake is that they taught us that Ramadan was ALWAYS October. It's very easy to make little mistakes if you don't do your research.

Globalpeace

Banned
Karen Armstrong and Martin Lings are pretty much the only mainstream non-Muslim authors I trust to write about Islam. (At least, as far as I know, Lings isn't Muslim.) You don't have to be Muslim to understand or study Islam, and it's entirely possible to have a non-Muslims know more about Islam than a Muslim. You have to be careful as to who the authors are - even if they're Muslim.

This reminds me of our Islam unit in school, which was good for the most part. But the one glaring mistake is that they taught us that Ramadan was ALWAYS October. It's very easy to make little mistakes if you don't do your research.

Asslamo Allaikum Respected Sister in Islam,

1) Shaykh Abu Bakr Siraj Ad-Din (Martin Lings) was a Muslim and may Allah (SWT) give him the highest rank in Paradise (Ameen).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Lings

2) There are errors in his book from a historic & Islamic perspective & I have duely explained them in a thread to another Revert Sister, I don't wish to hurt anyone's feelings & you know me well enough to know that I don’t just pick on people.

Globalpeace

Banned
wa alaikumassalaam,

I think that sentence says it all, im afraid you are right.

But i didnt mean that ALL muftis and such were deviant, just that from MY personal experience, a LOT of literature which i have read and classed as 'dodgy' accordingly have been written by people from the indian subcontinent. You know the type right? The ones who say 'blind follow imams, its fardh' and 'Allaah is everywhere, its silly to limit him like that'......and stuff like that.

But yeh, that was prejudiced of me to say and therefore i retract my statement. :D
W-Salam,

NO disrespect intended my brother...

I understand Arabic, Persian (to a functional degree), Urdu, Punjabi & English and I have NEVER come across a single Asian Mufti of any repute who says:

a) To blind follow Imams...Taqleed linguistically, technically, contextually DOES NOT mean blind following an Imam in Arabic, Persian, Urdu or Turkish....Please prove it.

b) Allah (SWT) is everywhere....Please provide some references from a reputable Asian scholar who says this.

I apologise for saying anything which may have hurt your feelings or deem offensive to you.

ledanielson

Salaam,

This is a great thread. I think it's especially important for converts (like me) who are seeking as much knowledge about Islam as possible to remember that not every book or website on Islam is accurate. Thanks for sharing!

Status
Not open for further replies.