Music.

Peace92

Revert to Islam
:salam2:

How does one "quit" listening to music? It's quite difficult. I've been listening to it ever since, and I find it difficult to simply stop. I have my favourite band etc and Its a mission to stop being "crazy about them".

Am i allowed to listen to nasheeds with music to help? Then, cut down to just plain nasheeds?

Please help me out brothers and sisters.

Your sister in faith.

Peace

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Walaykumsalaam sister Peace92,

The antidote for shaitaan's works is the word of Allah, Holy Quran. The main reason for music's prohibition is because it deviates the hearts of believers from obedience and remembrance of Allah, therefore the way to combat it is to ask Allah's help to quit listening to it and at the same time increase the recitation of Holy Quran. Also, you can listen to various beautiful recitations of various Qaris along with the translation. One such site is :-

http://quranicaudio.com/

This will make your heart attached to the Quran and Insha'Allah draw you away from the haraam music.

Some practical steps you can take to quit are :-

1) Delete all the music on your Ipod, Mp3 player, Cell phone, Computer Hard Disk.

2) If you listen to it online, then quit going to that website. If you have a youtube account that you use to listen to music, then delete it.

3) Avoid company of people who play music or talk about music as if it is something 'cool'.

4) Learn more about the prohibition of music and the wisdom behind it. Knowledge goes a long way to help overcome something. The following seems like a good book to read :- http://store.dar-us-salam.com/Eng_Fiqh/R77.html

May Allah subhaana waa ta'ala make it easy for you and all of us. Ameen

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

lvn4islam

So does that mean that musicians who are also muslims, such as Peter Murphy, Jimmy Cliff, Yusuf Islam are sinners and doing "satan's work? That seems a bit extreme to me. I can definitely see individual types of music/musicians being haram, but to eliminate a global art that has existed as long as man----I just can't get my head around that one Brother.

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
As Salamu 'Alaykum,

This is a question that is often asked her as I have seen it several times in my short time since taking Shahada. I would suggest that you search for hadith and Ayat. Here is a site that say that Music that promotes healthy thoughts about Allah and contains no halaam words or suggestion is fine. But, you have to be sure in your heart; so, don't take opinion. Look for authority.

Um Ibrahim

Alhamdulilah :)

How does one "quit" listening to music? It's quite difficult. I've been listening to it ever since, and I find it difficult to simply stop. I have my favourite band etc and Its a mission to stop being "crazy about them".

Am i allowed to listen to nasheeds with music to help? Then, cut down to just plain nasheeds?

Please help me out brothers and sisters.

Your sister in faith.

Peace
:wasalam:

Listen to the Quran more and if you don't know the meaning, also study the meaning of the Quran as well. And ask Allah to clean your heart from such desires like listening to Music. This is what helped me because I, too used to listen to Music too much! but the more I listened to Quran, the more I started get un-interested in music. Now I don't listen to it at all. I can't even listen to it, because I will feel guilty or uncomfortable subhanaAllah.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
So does that mean that musicians who are also muslims, such as Peter Murphy, Jimmy Cliff, Yusuf Islam are sinners and doing "satan's work? That seems a bit extreme to me. I can definitely see individual types of music/musicians being haram, but to eliminate a global art that has existed as long as man----I just can't get my head around that one Brother.

Walaykumsalaam,

No one is here to judge anyone else. But we have to point out what is right and what is wrong to the best of our knowledge. So if a muslim is not praying his daily obligatory prayer, we don't tell him that you are going to hell, though we remind him that leaving obligatory prayer on purpose makes the person in state of kufr.

Likewise, this is not my personal belief, rather it is what scholars have reached consensus over. The early generation of muslims referred to music as 'Quran us shaytaan', you can refer to all this in the video lecture that sis Khangul has provided.

Here is a short clip from the same lecture.

[yt]iHhveITz8Dc[/yt]

As Salamu 'Alaykum,

This is a question that is often asked her as I have seen it several times in my short time since taking Shahada. I would suggest that you search for hadith and Ayat. Here is a site that say that Music that promotes healthy thoughts about Allah and contains no halaam words or suggestion is fine. But, you have to be sure in your heart; so, don't take opinion. Look for authority.

Walaykumsalaam akhi Frank,

Islamonline is known for dubious rulings and hold views that are not held by the majority of scholars of main stream Ahl Us Sunnah Wa'al Jama'a. I would advice you to avoid that website at all costs. We have been warned to stay away from the likes of Yusuf Qardawi and others who give rulings on that website.

Here is a ruling from IslamQA on music :- http://islamqa.com/en/ref/5000/music

In addition, the video posted by sister Khangul is a brilliant lecture that explains the matter in detail.

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
As Salamu 'Alaykum,

Brother in Islam,

That site that you linked to is known to have viruses according to McAfee Site Advisor.

I do, however appreciate the advise. Being relatively ignorant of who is an isn't authentic in their rulings I am often left with reading what is said and investigating the Truth of what they say. It realize that one who tries to interpret through his own logic is fire bound. However, even a Liar tells the truth sometimes.

I have read

Luqman
Those who establish worship and pay the poor-due and have sure faith in the Hereafter. (4) Such have guidance from their Lord. Such are the successful. (5) And of mankind is he who payeth for mere pastime of discourse, that he may mislead from Allah's way without knowledge, and maketh it the butt of mockery. For such there is a shameful doom. (6) And when Our revelations are recited unto him he turneth away in his pride as if he heard them not, as if there were a deafness in his ears. So give him tidings of a painful doom. (7)

Does this refer to Nasheed that praise Allah?

I know nothing about the individual who authors the website. However, I can find no fault with his closing paragraph:

Warning against playing with the word “haram”

To conclude, we address the respectful scholars who tackle the word “haram” easily and set it free in their writings and fatwas that they should observe that Allah is watching over them in all that they say or do. They should also know that this word “haram” is very dangerous. It means that Allah’s Punishment is due on a certain act or saying, and should not be based upon guessing, whims, weak Hadiths, not even through an old book. It has to be supported by a clear, well-established text or valid consensus. If these last two are not found, then we revert the given act or saying to the original rule: "permissibility governing things". We do have a good example to follow from one of our earlier pious scholars. Imam Malik (may Allah be pleased with him) who said: “It was not the habit of those who preceded us, the early pious Muslims, who set good example for the following generations, to say, 'This is halal, and this is haram. But, they would say, ‘I hate such-and-such, and maintain such-and-such, but as for halal and haram, this is what may be called inventing lies concerning Allah. Did not you hear Allah’s Statement that reads, 'Say: Have you considered what provision Allah has sent down for you, how you have made of it lawful and unlawful? Say: Has Allah permitted you, or do you invent a lie concerning Allah?” (Yunus: 59) For, the halal is what Allah and His Messenger made lawful, and the haram is what Allah and His Messenger made unlawful.

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
I looked up the word "Kafir and found the following definition at Wikipedia. Is it correct?

Types of Kufr (Disbelief)-Adapted from 'Tafseer ibn Katheer[3] The Qur'an uses the word kufr to denote a person who covers up or hides realities, one who refuses to accept the dominion and authority of Allāh. There are several types of Al-Kufr ul Akbar:

1. Kufrul-'Inaad: Disbelief out of stubbornness. This applies to someone who knows the truth and admits to knowing the truth and admits to knowing it with his tongue, but refuses to accept it and refrains from making a declaration. The Qur'an states: "Do ye twain hurl to hell each rebel ingrate?" [Soorah Qaaf (50), Ayah 24] [4]
2. Kufrul-Inkaar: Disbelief out of denial. This applies to someone who denies with both heart and tongue. The Qur'an states: "They recognize the favor of Allah, yet they deny it, and most of them are ungrateful."[Soorah Nahl (16), Ayah 83] [5]
3. Kufrul-Kibr: Disbelief out of arrogance and pride. The disbelief by the devil (Iblees) is an example of this type of Kufr.
4. Kufrul-Juhood: Disbelief out of rejection. This applies to someone who acknowledges the truth in his heart, but rejects it with his tongue. This types of kufr is applicable to those who calls themselves Muslims but who reject any necessary and accepted norms of Islam such as Salaat and Zakat. The Qur'an states: "And they denied them, though their souls acknowledged them, for spite and arrogance. Then see the nature of the consequence for the wrong-doers!" [Soorah Naml (27), Ayah 14][6]
5. Kufrul-Nifaaq: Disbelief out of hypocrisy. This applies to someone who pretends to be a believer but conceals his disbelief. Such a person is called a MUNAFIQ or hypocrite. The Qur'an states: "The Hypocrites will be in the lowest depths of the Fire: no helper wilt thou find for them." [Soorah An Nisaa (4), Ayah 145] [7]
6. Kufrul-Istihlaal: Disbelief out of trying to make HARAM into HALAL. This applies to someone who accepts as lawful (Halal) that which Allah has made unlawful (Haram) like alcohol or adultery. Only Allah has the prerogative to make things Halal and Haram and those who seek to interfere with His right are like rivals to Him and therefore fall outside the boundaries of faith.
7. Kufrul-Kurh: Disbelief out of detesting any of Allah's commands. The Qur'an states: "And those who disbelieve, perdition is for them, and He will make their actions vain; That is because they are averse to that which Allah hath revealed, therefor maketh He their actions fruitless."[Soorah Muhammed (47), Ayah 8-9] [8]
8. Kufrul-Istihzaa: Disbelief due to mockery and derision. The Qur'an states: "And if thou ask them (O Muhammad) they will say: We did but talk and jest. Say: Was it at Allah and His revelations and His messenger that ye did scoff; Make no excuse. Ye have disbelieved after your (confession of) belief. If We forgive a party of you, a party of you We shall punish because they have been guilty." [Soorah Taubah (9), ayah 65-66] [9]
9. Kufrul-I'raadh: Disbelief due to avoidance. This applies to those who turn away and avoid the truth. The Qur'an states: "And who is more unjust than he who is reminded of the communications of his Lord, then he turns away from them and forgets what his two hands have sent before? Surely We have placed veils over their hearts lest they should understand it and a heaviness in their ears; and if you call them to the guidance (Qur'an), they will not ever follow the right course (Islam) in that case." [Soorah Kahf (18), Ayah 57] [10]
10. Kufrul-Istibdaal: Disbelief because of trying to substitute Allah's Laws. This could take the form of: (a) Rejection of Allah's law (Sharee'ah) without denying it, (b) denial of Allah's law and therefore rejecting it, or (c) Substituting Allah's laws with "artificial" (i.e. non-Muslim) laws. The Qur'an states: "And if Allah had pleased He would surely have made them a single community, but He makes whom He pleases enter into His mercy, and the unjust it is that shall have no guardian or helper." [Soorah Shuraa(42), Ayah 8] [11] The Qur'an says: "Truly, Allâh is with those who fear Him (keep their duty unto Him), and those who are doers of good and righteousness." [Soorah Nahl (16), Ayah 116] [12]

My point is that it is always safest to avoid that of which there is doubt. And, it is always wise to follow the learned. However, unless someone states that which is in direct opposition to Al Qur'an or Strong Authentic Hadith it is dangerous to label that person as one to be avoided. I know that no one has called this person a karif and merely warned against accepting him as a Scholar. So, the following is not directed at anyone.

According to the Quran, if a person says assalamu alaikum to us to indicate that he is a Muslim, we cannot say to him ``you are not a believer.'' (4:94)

``Ibn Umar related that the Holy Prophet said: If a Muslim calls another kafir, then if he is a kafir let it be so; otherwise, he [the caller] is himself a kafir.''

(Abu Dawud, Book of Sunna, edition published by Quran Mahal, Karachi, vol. iii, p. 484)

``Abu Zarr reported that the Holy Prophet said: No man accuses another man of being a sinner, or of being a kafir, but it reflects back on him if the other is not as he called him.''

(Bukhari, Book of Ethics; Book 78, ch. 44)

``Withhold [your tongues] from those who say `There is no god but Allah' --- do not call them kafir. Whoever calls a reciter of `There is no god but Allah' as a kafir, is nearer to being a kafir himself.''

(Tabarani, reported from Ibn Umar)

I, personally, strongly condemned the widely prevailing practice of takfir (i.e. one Muslim calling another kafir on grounds of some difference of religious belief or practice), which is common among religious leaders. The Roman Catholic Church had the history of oppressing any opposing view. Fox's Book of Martyrs

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
As Salamu Alakum,

BrotherInIslam,

I did further checking on the link you provided and it seems that the warning is related to the link at that site to Islamhouse.com which according to McAfee has been found to be a distributed of downloads which contain programs that many people consider to be spyware, adware, and potentially unwanted programs. THE SITE ISLAMQA IS NOT THE PROBLEM IT IS THE LINK TO ISLAMHOUSE THAT HAS CAUSED THE WARNING by McAfee Site Advisor What McAfee Site Advisor is.

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
As Salamu 'Alaykum,

This video is not related to Music. However, I felt convicted by the statements that this excellent teacher made; consequently, I think it relates to the deeper meaning of this thread: From The FIKS.org The Important part that I wanted to share is around the 6 to 7 minute mark.

[yt]CpAOQ2ysgz0[/yt]

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
Islamonline is known for dubious rulings and hold views that are not held by the majority of scholars of main stream Ahl Us Sunnah Wa'al Jama'a. I would advice you to avoid that website at all costs. We have been warned to stay away from the likes of Yusuf Qardawi and others who give rulings on that website.

Here is a ruling from IslamQA on music :- http://islamqa.com/en/ref/5000/music

In addition, the video posted by sister Khangul is a brilliant lecture that explains the matter in detail.

Assalamualaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh akhi,

If I understood your post correctly, did you meant that we should refrain from a scholar such as Dr Yusuf Qardhawi? He is known to be the President of the Global Ulama'a Organisation. I'm not looking for a debate or something, just need some enlightenment.

Wassalam.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Assalamualaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh akhi,

If I understood your post correctly, did you meant that we should refrain from a scholar such as Dr Yusuf Qardhawi? He is known to be the President of the Global Ulama'a Organisation. I'm not looking for a debate or something, just need some enlightenment.

Wassalam.

Walaykumsalaam waa rahmatullahi,

He believes that Niqab is alien to Islamic culture and is a bida'h, he would rather have it outlawed. Plus he sees nothing wrong with music, even though there is consensus from scholars that it is prohibited.

He also allowed to deal in some so called 'Islamic banking' stating that if old fuqaha were alive, they would changed their stance looking at the condition of today. *roll eyes*

You can read the following :-

http://salafimanhaj.com/pdf/SalafiManhaj_QaradaaweeBooks

May Allah subhaana waa ta'ala guide us all and protect us from innovators and corruptors of religion. Ameen

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Also, I would like to add that let's not divert away from the main topic of the post. Brothers and sisters, please suggest practical ways in which we can stop listening to music as sister Peace92's initial post is asking for your ideas.

JazakAllahu Khayran :)

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
Shukran katheeran akhi BrotherInIslam.

I needed some clarification as Dr Yusuf Qaradhawi is well known here in my country (Malaysia) and many times they take fatwa from him. Even during the war in Gaza, I remember the Islamic radio here aired that based on his fatwa, it is obligatory for everyone to do Jihad - even in a sense of donating money. And recently he received this award from our country - "Prominent Figure of Ma'al Hijrah" (Tokoh Ma'al Hijrah). Wallahua'lam. Allaah knows best in every matters.

I would like to apologize to the thread starter for being off-topic.

Ok, now back to the question. Well, when you want to give up something for the sake of Allaah, at first maybe it would be quite difficult especially if it is something that you are so used to doing it. But inshaAllaah, slowly, from now on, try to remind yourself everytime when you feel like listening to music, that you know this is not good for your heart and soul and that you REALLY do want to stop listening to it.

Eventually, as time pass by (so long that you try to strive giving up musics), you wont feel anything anymore when you dont listen to any musics at all. Yes its true that you will hear it everywhere around you i.e at the mall, in someone else's car etc but at that time, your heart will feel more peace when there is no sound that reaches your heart other than the beautiful melody of the Quran recitation. Feed your heart with the Words from Allaah instead of those "capturing" words of love songs.

I used to listen to musics too before but I always felt that it isnt long when I finally will feel boring with it and doesnt like it anymore. The "satisfactation" of listening to music is only for a short while. Unlike listening/reciting the Quran, a bliss of peace will be felt inside your heart. Happiness with Allaah's Great promises to His pious, devoted slaves and sadness + fear on Allaah's severe torment and wrath to those who disobey. No one will feel boring reciting or listening to the Quran eventhough one is reciting the same surah for so many times. MashaAllaah.

Giving up something that you love is not easy at all, but inshaAllaah you will feel the sweetness of it whenever you let go something for the sake of Allaah. InshaAllah :)

"And strive for Allah with the striving due to Him. He has chosen you and has not placed upon you in the religion any difficulty. [It is] the religion of your father, Abraham. Allah named you "Muslims" before [in former scriptures] and in this [revelation] that the Messenger may be a witness over you and you may be witnesses over the people. So establish prayer and give zakah and hold fast to Allah . He is your protector; and excellent is the protector, and excellent is the helper." 22:78

You can always make dua'a to Allaah to give you the strengths to do what He commands and refrain that which He forbids because "All source of strengths comes from Allaah". La Haw la wa la quwwata illa billah.

InshaAllaah I do believe you will give it up soon. :)

Waalaykummusalam wa rahmatullah.

True_Sultan

A logical believer
Walaykumsalaam sister Peace92,

The antidote for shaitaan's works is the word of Allah, Holy Quran. The main reason for music's prohibition is because it deviates the hearts of believers from obedience and remembrance of Allah, therefore the way to combat it is to ask Allah's help to quit listening to it and at the same time increase the recitation of Holy Quran. Also, you can listen to various beautiful recitations of various Qaris along with the translation. One such site is :-

http://quranicaudio.com/

This will make your heart attached to the Quran and Insha'Allah draw you away from the haraam music.

Some practical steps you can take to quit are :-

1) Delete all the music on your Ipod, Mp3 player, Cell phone, Computer Hard Disk.

2) If you listen to it online, then quit going to that website. If you have a youtube account that you use to listen to music, then delete it.

3) Avoid company of people who play music or talk about music as if it is something 'cool'.

4) Learn more about the prohibition of music and the wisdom behind it. Knowledge goes a long way to help overcome something. The following seems like a good book to read :- http://store.dar-us-salam.com/Eng_Fiqh/R77.html

May Allah subhaana waa ta'ala make it easy for you and all of us. Ameen

I don't understand how Music deviats us from God, like what happens if we listen to music but we don't do the foul things it says? PLus its not like this music is gonna make someone a less of a believer...as islam is the truth and if can't be refuted..

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
I was going to post some of the beautiful Nasheed songs that I play during the night; unfortunately, I couldn't do so without posting "pictures of animate beings." I enjoy Zain Bhikhi, Waheed Zafar Qasmi, Yusuf Islam, and others, but I usually minimize my browser and let the playlist play as I fall asleep. I never really thought of videos and tv shows as pictures of animate beings until today when I was researching what is and is not forbidden based on strong hadith. I had a lot of paintings on my walls and statues of animals when I reverted. Some have told me that it is forbidden and others have said just don't have any where I do Salat (Salah?) and du'a. I don't know which is correct. I have gotten Islamic Calligraphy to place in the frames and am putting the statues in my closest in a box to I can find and acceptable way to dispose of them.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
I don't understand how Music deviats us from God, like what happens if we listen to music but we don't do the foul things it says? PLus its not like this music is gonna make someone a less of a believer...as islam is the truth and if can't be refuted..

Salaamalaykum brother,

Please listen to the lecture that sister Khangul has provided. All your questions will be Insha'Allah answered.

I was going to post some of the beautiful Nasheed songs that I play during the night; unfortunately, I couldn't do so without posting "pictures of animate beings." I enjoy Zain Bhikhi, Waheed Zafar Qasmi, Yusuf Islam, and others, but I usually minimize my browser and let the playlist play as I fall asleep. I never really thought of videos and tv shows as pictures of animate beings until today when I was researching what is and is not forbidden based on strong hadith. I had a lot of paintings on my walls and statues of animals when I reverted. Some have told me that it is forbidden and others have said just don't have any where I do Salat (Salah?) and du'a. I don't know which is correct. I have gotten Islamic Calligraphy to place in the frames and am putting the statues in my closest in a box to I can find and acceptable way to dispose of them.

Do you want to read a ruling (fatwa) on paintings and statues, brother ?