need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

complex_man

hello,

i have come across a problem which i cant sort out. my ant wants my younger sister to be married with her son but the problem is that when my sister was infant and my mother was very ill, my ant ( my mothers real sister) breastfeed-ed my sister for like 3 or 4 times . i want to know whether i can marry my sister with her sons as i think now she is their sister also as their mother breastfeed-ed my sister. i need some advice.

waiting for responses.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
:salam2:

You should consult a knowledgeable Imam or Shaykh in your locality.

I found some relevant fatwa from Islamqa

I have a paternal uncle who is married to two wives, one of whom breastfed me. Is it possible for me to marry the daughters of the other wife?.

Praise be to Allaah.

If you were breastfed five times in the first two years of life by your uncle’s wife, then she is your mother through breastfeeding and your uncle is your father, and all his sons and daughters from this wife and from all his wives are brothers and sisters to you.

Based on that, the daughters you asked about, if they are your uncle’s daughters, are mahrams to you; if they were from another husband, someone other than your uncle, then there is nothing wrong with you marrying one of them.

Shaykh Ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: If a woman breastfeeds a child five times within the first two years, or more than five times, the infant becomes a son to her and her husband, who is the “owner of the milk”, and all the children of the woman from the husband who is “the owner of the milk” or another husband become brothers and sisters of the infant, and the children of the husband who is the “owner of the milk”, from the wife who breastfeeds and other wives, become brothers and sisters of the infant who is nursed. End quote from Majmoo’ Fataawa Ibn Baaz (22/274).

He was also asked (may Allaah have mercy on him): I was breastfed by a woman, then her husband took another wife and that wife had children; are they brothers to me?

He replied: If you were breastfed five or more times and the milk was attributed to the husband because it resulted from a pregnancy that occurred due to him, then they are your brothers through your father and your mother through breastfeeding. As for the children from his second wife, they are brothers to you through your father through breastfeeding. End quote from Fataawa al-Shaykh Ibn Baaz (22/305).

And Allaah knows best.

Link : http://islamqa.com/en/ref/117623

WithAllahsPowers

WE ARE PROTECTED
how does your sister feel about marrying this person? does she know that she might, might, be his brother because his mother breast fed her?

what about your parents, how do they feel? do they know about the ruling on someone breast feeding another child might make them their mother too? wouldnt they want to seek furture advise on this from a sheikh as stated in other posts. off course they are concerned inshallah but make sure they ask too. it must be hard for them all to make this decision, very hard decision indeed. after all, marrying someone you know like your cousin etc, is more better than marrying a stranger whom you do not know.

does your aunty know about this ruling too? she must be worried of what to do

im only asking this because im wondering your the brother and wants whats best for his sister in religion way, and your concerned, but are they concerned too

may allah help you and allow you soon to get the correct answer on this because you want to protect your sister and may allah help you do so.

complex_man

Thank you all for the replies but the problem is that my family from uncle side doesnt come from Ahle sunnah wal jamat, they are bralvies and they say that they have asked the shaykh and he says it is allowed to marry and if she was feed only in dire cases (like she was about to die and needed to be breastfeeded) then she cant marry but in this case she can marry. my problem is that i dont believe those bralvie shaykhs , i believe only salafi shaykhs and there is no one in my locality that i know thats why i asked here. my mother relies on me as i am eldest and my sister will do whatever i ask her to do, so i need help help if some one can contact a right person and get ruling for me . every one on our family knows that she was breastfeed-ed by my aunt.

thank you

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Salaamalaykum akhi,

Akhi, I hope you do know that the Barelvis have major problems in Aqeedah that take them out of the fold of Islam. They believe in seeking intercession from pious people who have passed away, which ofcourse constitutes a form of Shirk.

As you have stated that your family follows Dawah us Salafiyyah Alhamdulillah. You should seek a proposal for your sister from a muwahid (a person on correct Tawheed). It is prohibited from a muslim muwahid girl to marry a kaafir male person (and this includes the deviant sects of Qadiyaanis and Barelvis who have been declared non muslim).

May Allah azz zawajal grant your sister a pious and caring muwahid brother as a spouse. Ameen

complex_man

walikom salam. yes i know they have deviated aqeedah but what can i do. i need to marry my sisters, i have big responsibility , nowadays what do u think is it easy to find a good muslim man, no , it is too difficult, if i sit waiting for right person then she will be over 30 as that of my other sister who is around 29 but still no good man to be found. it is difficult brother to find a good muwahid muslim man nowadays. but for me problem is not muwahid or not but problem is whether i can marry her or not based on breastfeeding,.

Isra

aka Tree2008
walikom salam. yes i know they have deviated aqeedah but what can i do. i need to marry my sisters, i have big responsibility , nowadays what do u think is it easy to find a good muslim man, no , it is too difficult, if i sit waiting for right person then she will be over 30 as that of my other sister who is around 29 but still no good man to be found. it is difficult brother to find a good muwahid muslim man nowadays. but for me problem is not muwahid or not but problem is whether i can marry her or not based on breastfeeding,.

As salamo alaikome

Oh my brother!!!! Normally I wouldnt even post on matters that I have no knowledge of as in the case of your original post but I could not contain myself when I read this post of yours which I have quoted!!! Please brother read what you have said here!

You should pray to all mighty Allah for guidance in finding a good Muslim husband for your sisters instead of throwing your hands in the air saying "if I sit waiting for the right person"!!! Actually it is not up to you at all to find the "right person" but rather it is Allah who determines who is right and who is wrong for each of us. Also dont forget marriage for Muslims as in everything else is pre-destined so if you think of it in that light we are guided to our destiny by Allah the all merciful! If you really believe in that and pray very hard then inshallah you will find the answers you seek!

I understand your dilemma dear brother but this is not a time for you to give up all hope! Pray brother and may Allah guide you to the good! I will keep you and your sisters in my dua as well and may Allah make the way easy for you Ameen.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah

Brother, don't say your sister is waiting, and that if you don't do it now, the right person might never come. Such thinking is from the Shaytaan - have patience and faith in Allah SWT only! You can not hasten what has already been written for her. When the right time and place and person will come, only then will it happen, and not a second sooner or later.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

Salaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi,

Dear akhi, I do understand the weight of expectation on your shoulders to find a suitable match for your sister. I know that it is a huge responsibility and a matter that can give the parents and family of a girl many sleepless nights.

However, I would like to remind you and myself that 'sabr' (patience) is an essential part of our deen.

Allah azz zawajal says in the Quran :-

“And seek help in patience and As-Salaah (the prayer) and truly, it is extremely heavy and hard except for Al-Khaashi‘oon [i.e. the true believers in Allaah — those who obey Allaah with full submission, fear much from His punishment, and believe in His Promise (Paradise) and in His Warnings (Hell)]”
[al-Baqarah 2:54]

“Verily, I have rewarded them this Day for their patience; they are indeed the ones that are successful”

[al-Mu’minoon 23:111]

“By Al‑‘Asr (the time).

2. Verily, man is in loss,

3. Except those who believe (in Islamic Monotheism) and do righteous good deeds, and recommend one another to the truth [i.e. order one another to perform all kinds of good deeds (Al‑Ma‘roof) which Allaah has ordained, and abstain from all kinds of sins and evil deeds (Al‑Munkar) which Allaah has forbidden], and recommend one another to patience (for the sufferings, harms, and injuries which one may encounter in Allaah’s Cause during preaching His religion of Islamic Monotheism or Jihad)”

[al-‘Asr 103]

So my dear brother, I would advise you to bear this tough situation with patience. It is a test of Allah azz zawajal for you and family.

Rather than hurrying and marrying your sister off to a man with incorrect and deviant Aqeedah that takes him out of fold of Islam, bear patiently. With patience, there will be Khayr InshaAllah. I pray to Allah azz zawajal that your sister finds a pious and loving spouse Ameen.

I would like to also warn you against marrying off your sister to a polytheist.

Allah azz zawajal says in the Quran :-

“And give not (your daughters) in marriage to Al‑Mushrikoon till they believe (in Allaah Alone) and verily, a believing slave is better than a (free) Mushrik (idolater), even though he pleases you. Those (Al-Mushrikoon) invite you to the Fire, but Allaah invites (you) to Paradise and forgiveness by His Leave, and makes His Ayaat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) clear to mankind that they may remember”

[al-Baqarah 2:221]

The scholars have said regarding this matter :-

- This marriage is regarded as invalid, and intercourse with him is zina (fornication, adultery). Al-Muntaqa min Fataawa al-Shaykh Saalih al-Fawzaan (3/174)

I advise you strongly to bear this test patiently and reap the rewards of Allah azz zawajal. You have a big responsibility on your shoulders and I ask Allah azz zawajal to make it easy for you Ameen. But do not marry off your sister to a polytheist as this marriage is zina in eyes of Allah azz zawajal and it is completely illegitimate. And Allah knows best.

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Assalaam walaikum,

Brother do not fear poverty. Keep your faith in Allah subhana talla

:wasalam:

It is not about fearing poverty. The brother feels that his sister has attained marriageable age and he wants to get her married before she ages. After crossing into the 30s it is hard to find a suitable match usually due to the age of the girl in the Indian subcontinent. Hence he is anxious or worried and I can understand his desperation. It is a huge responsibility in modern times on the father/brother of the girl.

May Allah azz zawajal ease the condition for our brother and his family. Ameen

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
Assalam Alaykum Dear brother in islam.

i have come across a problem which i cant sort out. my ant wants my younger sister to be married with her son but the problem is that when my sister was infant and my mother was very ill, my ant ( my mothers real sister) breastfeed-ed my sister for like 3 or 4 times . i want to know whether i can marry my sister with her sons as i think now she is their sister also as their mother breastfeed-ed my sister. i need some advice

It is permissible for your sister to marry son of your aunt in this situation, because breastfeeding (radaa’ah) only makes the woman (and her daughters) the mahrams of the child who nursed if it takes place five times. [A mahram is a relative whom one is forbidden to marry and with whom the rulings of hijab or covering do not apply - Translator]. The evidence for that is the hadeeth narrated by Muslim (1452) from ‘Aa’ishah who said: “One of the (rulings) that was revealed in the Qur’aan was that ten known breastfeedings make the child a mahram, then that was abrogated and replaced with five.”

Al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

The scholars differed concerning the number of breastfeedings for which the ruling on breastfeeding (radaa’ah) applies. ‘Aa’ishah and al-Shaafa’i and his companions said that there is no proof for any number less than five. The majority of scholars said that the ruling applies if breastfeeding occurs once. This was narrated by Ibn al-Mundhir from ‘Ali, Ibn Mas’ood, Ibn ‘Umar, Ibn ‘Abbaas, ‘Ata’, Tawoos, Ibn al-Musayyib, al-Hasan, Makhool, al-Zuhri, Qataadah, Hammaad, Maalik, al-Awzaa’i, al-Thawri and Abu Haneefah – may Allaah be pleased with them. Abu Thawr, Abu ‘Ubayd, Ibn al-Mundhir and Dawood said: The ruling applies in the case of three breastfeedings, not less than that. Al-Shaafa’i and those who agreed with him followed the hadeeth of ‘Aa’ishah which mentioned five known breastfeedings.

Shaykh Ibn Baaz was asked whether breastfeeding from a woman three times makes her a mahram.

He replied: this breastfeeding three times does not make her a mahram through breastfeeding. The ruling on becoming a mahram through breastfeeding only applies if breastfeeding occurs five times or more. Then he quoted the hadeeth of ‘Aa’ishah as evidence.

Fataawa Islamiyyah, 3/326.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said:

One breastfeeding does not have any effect, rather it must be five breastfeedings that occur before the child is weaned and before he reaches the age of two. A person does not become the woman’s (foster) child if he breastfeeds once or twice or three or four times. It must also be five known breastfeedings; if there is some uncertainty as to whether he breastfed four or five times, the principle is that it was four, because every time we are uncertain about numbers, we take the lower number. Based on this, if a woman says, I breastfed this child but I do not know if it was once or twice, or three or four or five times, we say that this child is not her (foster) child, because it has to be five known breastfeedings without a doubt.

Al-Fataawa al-Jaami’ah li’l-Mar’ah al-Muslimah, 2/768.

For Uncertain of the number of breast-feedings

For breast-feeding to have the effect of making a child a relative (mahram), two conditions must be met:

(1) The number of breast-feedings should be five or more, because of the hadith of ‘Aa’ishah (may Allah be pleased with her), who said: "When the Qur’an was first revealed, the number of breast-feedings that would make a child a relative (mahram) was ten, then this was abrogated and replaced with the number of five which is well-known." (Reported by Muslim, no. 1452).

(2) This should happen within the first two years of the child’s life, because of the hadith: "Harmalah ibn Yahya told us that ‘Abdullah ibn Wahb told us that Ibn Lahimah informed us from Abu al-Aswad from ‘Urwah from ‘Abdullah ibn al-Zubayr that the Messenger of Allah (Peace & Blessings of Allah be Upon Him) said: "There is no breast-feeding except what fills the stomach to bursting point." (Reported by Ibn Maajah, no. 1946; see also Saheeh al-Jaami‘, no. 7495).

Al-Bukhaari, may Allah have mercy on him, included a chapter in his Saheeh entitled: "The chapter of the one who says there is no breast-feeding after two years because of the words of Allah ‘. . . two whole years, (that is) for those (parents) who desire to complete the term of suckling . . .’ [al-Baqarah 2:233]."

The definition of rad‘ah (one breast-feed) is that the child should take the breast and drink milk from it, then leave it of his own accord in order to breathe or to change position, and so on.

If this is the case, then the rulings concerning breast-feeding will apply, i.e. the child will be considered a relative and marriage will be forbidden, etc.

In the case of doubt concerning the number of breast-feedings, Ibn Qudaamah, may Allah have mercy on him, said: "If there is some doubt concerning whether breast-feeding took place, or concerning the number of feeds and whether it was enough to make the child a relative (mahram) or not, then there is no proof that the child must be considered a relative, because the general rule of life is that a child does not breast-feed from anyone except his own mother, and one cannot dismiss certainty in favour of doubt. (al-Mughni 11/312).

Therefore it is permissible to marry if there is no proof of breast-feeding that would make the individual concerned a relative.

I do not want to omit reminding the one who asked this question that we are obliged to adhere to the Sharee‘ah no matter where it leads us, and our desires and emotions should not prevent us from following the truth. The Muslim must remain chaste and avoid all kinds of "love relationships." He must strive to protect himself by marrying in a proper fashion according to Islamic sharee‘ah.

: conclusion:

If a woman breastfeeds a child, then this child becomes her child through radaa’ah (breastfeeding), and a brother through breastfeeding of all her children, whether those children were there before him or came later.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “What becomes mahram (forbidden for marriage) through breastfeeding is that which become mahram through blood ties.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 2645; Muslim, 1447.

But it should be noted that becoming a mahram through breastfeeding can only be established through five well-known breastfeedings, because of the report narrated by Muslim (1452) from ‘Aa’ishah who said: ““When the Qur’aan was first revealed, the number of breast-feedings that would make a child a relative (mahram) was ten, then this was abrogated and replaced with the number of five which is well-known.”

Ibn al-Qayyim said in Zaad al-Ma’aad, 5/575:

One breastfeeding (rad’ah) means when the child takes the beast and starts suckling, and then lets it go without being made to do so. That is one breastfeeding, because the Lawgiver referred to one breastfeeding in general terms, so it is to be interpreted according to custom, and this is the custom. If the child stops briefly in order to breathe or to rest or because of some distraction, then quickly goes back to the breast, this is regarded as one breastfeeding, just as when a person who is eating pauses briefly then quickly goes back to eating, this is not regarded as two meals, rather it is one. This is the view of al-Shaafa’i. And if the infant moves from one breast to the other, this is one breastfeeding.

Thus it becomes clear that the five breastfeedings could all take place in one sitting.

If this woman was breastfed by your mother five times in this sense, then it is not permissible for you to marry her daughter, because you are her paternal uncle through breastfeeding. If she was breastfed less than five times, that does not mean that she is a mahram, so it is permissible for you to marry her daughter.

If there is any doubt concerning the number of breastfeedings, whether it was five or not, there is no proof of the child being a mahram in the case of doubt.

Ibn Qudaamah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

If there is any doubt as to whether breastfeeding took place or not, or with regard to the number of breastfeedings, whether the number that makes the child a mahram was completed or not, this does not make the child a mahram, because the basic assumption is that he is not a mahram, and what is certain cannot be dispelled by what is uncertain.

auss20

Salam brother,
I dont have much knowledge regarding the matter, So Please You should consult a knowledgeable Imam or Shaykh in your locality. for the sake of Allah, you can opviously clrear this matter soon.
Maasalam

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
thank you all for your valuable advices and information. i will see what i can do.

pray for us

You are definitely in my prayers akhi as is your family. Have some sabr and you will find your problems getting solutions and things getting easier with the mercy of Allah soon InshaAllah taala.

Take care.. Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

Status
Not open for further replies.