Need Udhiya advice please...

DanyalSAC

Asalaamu alaikum brothers and sisters in Islam -

Last year for Eid I joined about 5 other brothers and we sacrificed a cow. My share was a huge amount of beef. Since most of it was "mystery cut" and therefore tough I sent the majority of it through my meat grinder and made enough ground beef to choke a whale. I distributed it to friends (both Muslim and non) who were unemployed, or single parents with children, or others who had need of charity.

This year I opted for a goat.

Fortunately, the situations for most of those recipients last year have changed: they are now working, or married, or in any case are now no longer in need of charity. The couple that I know who CAN use it don't know how to cook goat (what a loss!).

I know one third we keep, one third goes to family/friends, and one third to charity. As I have no family here I use that third mostly for friends. But I don't know what to do with the "charity" part.

Any advice? There's not a lot - probably only about 10 lbs, I have it split in baggies. I would normally ask the masjid's imam about this but we are currently between imams...the one I liked so much has left us to return to Jordan.

Anyway - thank you in advance

D.

Sister Kalena

Goat is popular in Hispanic cuisine - maybe a Catholic church that has a Mexican congregation would be able to use it.

Just a suggestion.

Sister Kalena

:salam2:

Hmm, but isn't the charity meat meant for muslims only? Kind of like zakat?

assalam alaikum -

That's a good question - I just thought charity would apply to anyone in need.

IMHO - Goats are too cute to eat, so I'm probably the wrong person to ask! :eek:

SK:blackhijab:

DanyalSAC

Goat is popular in Hispanic cuisine - maybe a Catholic church that has a Mexican congregation would be able to use it.

Just a suggestion.

Our masjid has a large Mexican congregation - actually a good half of our dawah committee has Spanish as their first language. I can ask them.

Good idea, thank you!

alf2

Islam is a way of life
Homeless shelter in need of funds, if its near a holiday there are many soup kitchens open.

Munawar

Striving for Paradise
I am a little late for this thread. Actally very late. But I still want to respond.

1/3rd of the meat is for you.
1/3rd meat is for your friends and relatives.
1/3rd meat is for charity. It is for the poor people, regardless of their race, color or religion.

You can give all the meat in charity too, if you want or if the situation dictates. Like when you give money to a charity organization to do this Udhiya for you, they distribute it all among the poor people.

:wasalam:

eminbey

信得過…是我的名字
I am a little late for this thread. Actally very late. But I still want to respond.

1/3rd of the meat is for you.
1/3rd meat is for your friends and relatives.
1/3rd meat is for charity. It is for the poor people, regardless of their race, color or religion.

You can give all the meat in charity too, if you want or if the situation dictates. Like when you give money to a charity organization to do this Udhiya for you, they distribute it all among the poor people.

:wasalam:
Selam
100% agree
make in your intention that you're calling to Islam when u're giving charity to a non muslim