Question: What is the

xSharingan01x

TraVeLer
:salam2:

I"m wondering if any one knows the opinion of Maliki madhab concerning raising the hands during Salah? (before going to ruku and after getting up from ruku).

In the Sub-Continent most people follow the Hanafi Madhab and hence they don't raise the hands during Salah.

The way I was taught to pray, we never raised our hands but I see some people do it.
I asked for the opinion of Maliki Madhab because they emphasis on the customs/practices of the people of Madinah, so I figured since there is a difference of opinion as to what one should do during Salah it would be most logical to follow the way the people of Madinah.

Thanks. Please provide authentic sources!

:wasalam:

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Assalaamu'Alaykum,

Question

In our city, there are two groups of people: One group which cites evidence from the noble Hadith and the other which follows the Maliki Madhab in all their acts of worship. For example, there are people and young men who raise their hands upon bowing and upon rising from bowing and they cite as evidence noble Prophetic Hadith. As for the others, they do not do this, and they say: "Imam Malik - may Allah be pleased with him - did not do so; are you people as knowledgeable as the Imam of the land of Hijrah?" (Darul-Hijrah - Al-Madinah) What is your opinion with regard to this situation?

Answer

It is incumbent upon the Muslim to know the Islamic rulings from the accepted legal evidences in the Book (of Allah), the Sunnah, consensus and that which is founded upon it, such as comparative analogy and so on, if he has the ability to research, and make Ijtihad (juristic reasoning). If not, he should ask those whom he trusts among the scholars, and follow them, without fanaticism towards any particular Mujtahid. (Mujtahid - one who practises Ijtihad).

The authentic Sunnah from the Prophet :saw: proves the lawfulness of raising the hands upon making the opening Takbir, when bowing and rising from it, when standing up for the third Rak'ah. It is not permissible to contradict the Sunnah with the sayings of one of the people. And may peace and blessings be upon our Prophet, Muhammad and upon his family and Companions.

The Permanent Committee.

Question

What is the ruling on raising the hands in prayer, and when should it be done?

Answer

The hands should be raised at four points during the prayer: when making the opening Takbir, when bowing, when straightening up from the bowing, and when standing up from the first Tashahhud.

The raising of the hands should coincide with the start of the saying: "Allaahu Akbar"; he may also raise them and then say "Allaahu Akbar", or say: "Allaahu Akbar" and then raise them. As for when bowing when he wants to go into the bowing, he should raise his hands, then bow and place his hands on his knees. When straightening up from bowing, he should lift his hands from his knees, raising them until he is standing straight, then place them on his chest. On rising from th first Tashahhud, he should raise them to the level of his shoulders, once he is standing, as he did when making the opening Takbir. He should not raise his hands at any point other than these four. As for raising the hands during the funeral prayer, it is prescribed in every Takbir.

Ibn Uthaymeen

Reference: Fatawa Islamiyah, Volume 2, Purification and Prayer, Pg. 147 and 226.

After completing his recitation, he (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) would pause for a moment, then raise his hands in the way described earlier under the "Opening Takbeer", say takbeer, and make rukoo'.

Bukhaari & Muslim. This raising of the hands is reported as mutawaatir from him (sallallaahu `alaihi wa sallam), as is the raising of the hands on straightening up after rukoo`. It is the madhhab of the three Imaams Maalik, Shaafi`i and Ahmad, and of the majority of scholars of hadeeth and fiqh. Imaam Maalik (rahimahullaah) practised it right up to his death, as reported by Ibn `Asaakir (15/78/2). Some of the Hanafis chose to do it, among them `Isaam bin Yusuf Abu `Asamah al-Balkhi (d. 210), a student of Imaam Abu Yusuf (rahimahullaah), as has been explained in the Introduction. `Abdullaah bin Ahmad reported from his father in his Masaa'il (p. 60), "It is related from `Uqbah bin `Aamir that he said about a man raising his hands during prayer, 'He earns ten good deeds for each such movement'." This is supported by the hadeeth qudsi, "... he who intends a good deed and then does it, Allaah writes it down with Himself as from ten to seven hundred good deeds", transmitted by Bukhaari & Muslim. See Saheeh at-Targheeb, no. 16.

(Prophet's Prayer Described by Shaykh Naasir-ud-Deen al-Albanee)

You can refer to the book here brother,

http://abdurrahman.org/salah/prophetsPrayerAlbaani/index.htm

Walaykum Salaam.

daywalker

What is the ruling on raising the hands in prayer, and when should it be done?

:salam2: the thread was created for the evidence of maliki schools position, and instead that, i am telling him what should be done! Ajeeb!

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
:salam2: the thread was created for the evidence of maliki schools position, and instead that, i am telling him what should be done! Ajeeb!

Assalaamu'Alaykum,

I understand, but what difference would it make if raising the hands after ruku is close to what the Prophet :saw: did? I included the footnote from al-Albaani's book 'Prophet Prayer described' which states that Imam Maalik practised this until his death. (i.e. raising the hands).

Following the Qur'aan and Sunnah is more important than a particular Imam.

Walaykum Salaam.

daywalker

I understand, but what difference would it make if raising the hands after ruku is close to what the Prophet :saw: did?
:salam2: that wasn´t purpose of this thread. If you have question please feel free to open an extra thread. jazakallahu khairan.

I would speak if i have to say something related the topic of this thread, otherwise remain silent.

Idris16

I would speak if i have to say something related the topic of this thread, otherwise remain silent.
No Daywalker we shouldnt talk like that
Brother Ditta wanted to help Shoaib(sharingan)
You could speak with Ditta in a better way!

daywalker

No Daywalker we shouldnt talk like that
Brother Ditta wanted to help Shoaib(sharingan)
You could speak with Ditta in a better way!
It was a nasihah to me, which i also did(by not brining any other topic in this thread). I have seen enough thread turns into bickering of other rules. thats why i spoke to myself not to answer brother ditta´s question.

i dont know which word speaks formyself except using the word "I". if there is any, please feel free to teach me. Jazakallahu khairan.

and if it was against any adab, then i apologize for my act.but i have clear my intetion allready.

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Assalaamu'Alaykum,

First of all let us all stop this bickering, there is no benefit to be gained from it.

Second, the two fatawa that I posted was in relation to that raising the hands at the specified points was practised by the Prophet Muhammad :saw: and we should follow this regardless of what an Imam followed.

But this quote of Shaykh al-Albaani's book is very important,

This raising of the hands is reported as mutawaatir from him (sallallaahu `alaihi wa sallam), as is the raising of the hands on straightening up after rukoo`. It is the madhhab of the three Imaams Maalik, Shaafi`i and Ahmad, and of the majority of scholars of hadeeth and fiqh. Imaam Maalik (rahimahullaah) practised it right up to his death, as reported by Ibn `Asaakir (15/78/2). Some of the Hanafis chose to do it, among them `Isaam bin Yusuf Abu `Asamah al-Balkhi (d. 210), a student of Imaam Abu Yusuf (rahimahullaah), as has been explained in the Introduction.

So this confirms that Imam Maalik, Shaafi'i and Ahmad practised raising the hands but some Hanafi's did not.

Regardless of this, we should follow what the Prophet :saw: did. Narrated Ibn Umar (radhiy'Allaahu anh): The Prophet :saw: used to raise his hands parallel to his shoulders (there is a lengthy footnote at this point) when he started the prayer (by saying Allahu Akbar), when he uttered the Takbir to bow and when he raised his head from the Ruku (bowing posture) (Agreed Upon)

(This is from Bulugh-ul-Maram and the footnote baiscally states that this is a Sunnah and ahaadeeth against raising the hands are weak or forged and that this is uniamiously agreed upon (the ahaadeeth's weaknesses)).

Insha'Allaah I hope you see what I was trying to say. That, firstly, it is better to follow what the Prophet :saw: did which was raising the hands at the specified points and that Imam Maalik (as well as the other Imam's) practised this.

This was shown by the footnote in al-Albaani's book, the fatawa and the hadeeth (and footnote) in Bulugh-ul-Maram.

That's what my initial post was showing and how it has progressed from here, I don't know. Insha'Allaah, I hope we can end it here as what is important is what the Prophet :saw: did and we are all aware of that through what has been quoted.

Walaykum Salaam.

daywalker

Insha'Allaah I hope you see what I was trying to say. That, firstly, it is better to follow what the Prophet :saw: did which was raising the hands at the specified points and that Imam Maalik (as well as the other Imam's) practised this.
that is the thing. just bring the hadith whcih is used by imam malik(rh) , topic khalas =)

pcozzy

I"m wondering if any one knows the opinion of Maliki madhab concerning raising the hands during Salah? (before going to ruku and after getting up from ruku).

In the Sub-Continent most people follow the Hanafi Madhab and hence they don't raise the hands during Salah.

The way I was taught to pray, we never raised our hands but I see some people do it.
I asked for the opinion of Maliki Madhab because they emphasis on the customs/practices of the people of Madinah, so I figured since there is a difference of opinion as to what one should do during Salah it would be most logical to follow the way the people of Madinah.

Thanks. Please provide authentic sources!

:jazaak:

xSharingan01, Brother you are very wise.

As for Ditta, , I overlooked that part of the rising of 2nd rakaa and rising from rakuu. I wasn't sure even though I seen others do it. I don't accept anything unless it is from Quran and Sunnah stated. Funny, I even read that information in Al-banee rihma Allah, book but it never stuck for some reason.

You know I learned from my family and masjid a while ago about prayer, never once they ever quoted a hadith and mentioned it's strength. Now I have more knowledge, and there is information from scholars that are made available. I have no choice but to accept their knowledge, and act accordingly, for they are a lot more knowledgable, than me and what I was taught. the best example for mankind is the rasool PBUH. Thank you for pointing this out.

Lastly, I have learned to respect the differences I see that others do, never I say you should be doing this or that. For all we are trying to do is do exactly like the rasool PBUH. Improving ourselves in sha Allah

wa aleykum assalam

xSharingan01x

TraVeLer

Thank you brother ditta, daywalker, abdul musair, and pcozzy for the informative responses.

I began to raise the hands in Salah after reading article about, however I was not completely sure if I should continue to practice it, since it was not the way I was taught. I just had an uneasy feeling, and thus needed clarification.

The reason why I asked for the position of Maliki Madhab is because Imam Malik put emphasis on the practices of the people of Madinah, which in my opinion is a very wise thing by Imam Malik.
So when there is an issue which has difference of opinion (I'm referring to the aspects of ritual worships) I think the practices of the earlier inhabitants of Madinah can be taken as supplimentary evidance so to speak.
To me this is the most logical approach, since people of Madinah learned Salah directly from the Prophet :saw: or they were taught by the people who were taught by the Prophet :saw:

I asked for the position of Maliki madhab for reassurance that's all. If Maliki Madhab let's say didn't agree with the raising of the hands then I would find it very strange. Alhamdulilah, that wasn't the case.

Once again, thanks for clarifying.