Rude?

Phoyage

:salam2:
I kind of find it rude when brothers and/or sisters go into a thread,find some good Islamic Knowledge but don't thank the poster.
Us who give you this good post deserve to be thanked.
Even though they only need recognition from Allah (SWT).
Like if you get invited to a dinner.
Do you leave without thanking him/her.
It is kinda rude.
So please when you find a good thread/post.
Thank him or her.

:wasalam:

cmelbouzaidi

A good reminder, Jazak Allahu Khair.

I kind of find it rude when brothers and/or sisters go into a thread,find some good Islamic Knowledge but don't thank the poster.
It is kinda rude.
Thank him or her.

sha587

Shahid abdullah
It is kinda rude.
Thank him or her.

Salam. A good point. Specially the food point is more attractive.

palestine

Servant of Allah
yo shahid you forgot to say thank you. lol, now you gotta say it 10 more times. anyways THANK YOU for the good reminder phoyage. salam.

sha587

Shahid abdullah
Thank you Thank you
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum.

Thanking does not need to be done directly, one can thank a person by saying for instance, "may Allaah reward him for his beneficial post". To be honest, I prefer not to see a thread/post and there after the only subsequent posts contain messages like "jazaak Allaah khayr", "thanks" etc. It has nothing to do with rudeness, but should everyone who benefits need to specifically mention their thanks via a post? Most certainly not.

mymohsin

Pls mak Duwa 4 me
Salamalaykum,

Yes Brother people should give reward for the person who is spending his time and efforts to help you and improve ur knowledge FOR THE SAKE OF ALLAH. What could be a better reward then person supplicating for him/her to the ALMIGHTY ALLAH. Rather then saying just saying thanks I will prefer someone make duwa for me or say Jazak Allah khair or if they dont then also very happy as I am doing this for the sake of Allah. I want my work and efforts getting greater reward from Allah not just thanks. As, what Allah can give u no one esle can give.

If I post/read/reply I expect reward from Allah as I do for the sake of Allah and to Improve myself. If I post/read/reply to get thanks may be I may get it but then I doubt the reward from the Allah. May Allah help and protect us. Ameen.

Remember Ali(ra) when he was about kill a kafar he spits on him, then Ali(ra) forgives him and leave him and when that kafar ask Ali(ra) y didnt u kill me ? I had spitted on ur face so that u should kill me faster. Then Ali(ra) replied when u have spitted on me it rewokes my desire/anger to take revange for personal reason and I was not fighting for personal gain/desire/enmity. I am doing this FOR THE SAKE OF ALLAH.

I think brother u also trying to say or remind us to thank a person who post given his time to help us by suplicating in his favour. Jazak Allah khair of ur reminder. Rest Allah knows best. Pls do correct and forgive me if I m wrong.

May Allah help and guide all of us in following Islam properly. Ameen.

Jazak Allah kahir.

zakiyah

muslim sis
asalamu alaikum!

yes ur right.thanks for the reminder.jazakallah kheir.

thank you
thank you

:muslim_child:

Johra

Salamalaykum,

If I post/read/reply I expect reward from Allah as I do for the sake of Allah and to Improve myself. If I post/read/reply to get thanks may be I may get it but then I doubt the reward from the Allah. May Allah help and protect us. Ameen.

:salam2:Salams I agree totally, but still Thanks a million times Barakallah Fik
Jazak Allah kahir

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum...

Baarak Allaah feek mohsin, but I'm not saying to not thank the person, but what needs to be realised is that when someone posts, it is not direct, i.e. the poster has no idea who has read and benefitted, due to it being over the internet. So no, not everyone should be obliged or even should have to post a du`aa of thanks; that's like saying it's rude for one who isn't a member of TTI because he doesn't sign-up, just to say "May Allaah reward you" as his first and maybe only post. It's not practical! Giving thanks is important no doubt, but to specifaclly type it in the form of a post is clearly not as necessary.

So no, I'm not saying don't supplicate for the person, rather we should! But it is not always practical to specifically post a message of thanks/du`aa. Another situation where it being impractical is if for example, there's a post with 20 or so replies, the vast majority of which say jazaak Allaah khayr. Is it necessarily related to the thread? Not really, so it can and may be better to be done from a third-person perspective (i.e making du`aa for the poster in your own privacy, or via PMs). Providing an analogy, is it not befitting that if you walk into a dars/dawrah/lesson, you say salaams to the people? Not really, because you would be distracting people from the dars, you don't see people walking into uni lecture theatres shouting hello. Further yet, I know some people to get upset when they walk in and say salaams, and the Shaykh or people in the audience don't respond. Such a person should not expect that in the first place due to the situation. Another example, is if a dars is being held in a masjed and the obligatory salaah has finished. Now the masjed may be packed (due to the students attending) so do you pray the sunnahs? No you don't, because they are more rewarding prayed at home for starts, you may disturb some students (due to inadaquete space) and more importantly it is well known that seeking knowledge is more rewarding than the sunnahs! I'm using these examples to show that not everything is as straight forward as it seems, and there may be exceptional cases to a general rule.

Also, one should maintain sincere intentions and remember that we should be posting for the sake of Allaah. We shouldn't even be expecting any thanks at all, only hoping reward from Allaah! If a user says a nice du`aa then alhamdulillaah, this is something good, but it should definately not be sought after!!!!! If I post, do you really think I'm concerned with who is going to say thank you to me? No because it's not my right or the reason for posting, and if it was then I'd need to be worried with regards to showing off; the hidden shirk!

In summary, the general point I'm making is that it isn't as big a deal as the initial poster has put it, especially considering the impracticality that it may cause, and more importantly the fear of hidden shirk coming into play. However, like I said though it seemed as though I was misunderstood, I'm not exorting people to refrain from thanking!

Was-salaam

mymohsin

Pls mak Duwa 4 me
As-salaamu `alaykum...

Baarak Allaah feek mohsin, but I'm not saying to not thank the person, but what needs to be realised is that when someone posts, it is not direct, i.e. the poster has no idea who has read and benefitted, due to it being over the internet. So no, not everyone should be obliged or even should have to post a du`aa of thanks; that's like saying it's rude for one who isn't a member of TTI because he doesn't sign-up, just to say "May Allaah reward you" as his first and maybe only post. It's not practical! Giving thanks is important no doubt, but to specifaclly type it in the form of a post is clearly not as necessary.

So no, I'm not saying don't supplicate for the person, rather we should! But it is not always practical to specifically post a message of thanks/du`aa. Another situation where it being impractical is if for example, there's a post with 20 or so replies, the vast majority of which say jazaak Allaah khayr. Is it necessarily related to the thread? Not really, so it can and may be better to be done from a third-person perspective (i.e making du`aa for the poster in your own privacy, or via PMs). Providing an analogy, is it not befitting that if you walk into a dars/dawrah/lesson, you say salaams to the people? Not really, because you would be distracting people from the dars, you don't see people walking into uni lecture theatres shouting hello. Further yet, I know some people to get upset when they walk in and say salaams, and the Shaykh or people in the audience don't respond. Such a person should not expect that in the first place due to the situation. Another example, is if a dars is being held in a masjed and the obligatory salaah has finished. Now the masjed may be packed (due to the students attending) so do you pray the sunnahs? No you don't, because they are more rewarding prayed at home for starts, you may disturb some students (due to inadaquete space) and more importantly it is well known that seeking knowledge is more rewarding than the sunnahs! I'm using these examples to show that not everything is as straight forward as it seems, and there may be exceptional cases to a general rule.

Also, one should maintain sincere intentions and remember that we should be posting for the sake of Allaah. We shouldn't even be expecting any thanks at all, only hoping reward from Allaah! If a user says a nice du`aa then alhamdulillaah, this is something good, but it should definately not be sought after!!!!! If I post, do you really think I'm concerned with who is going to say thank you to me? No because it's not my right or the reason for posting, and if it was then I'd need to be worried with regards to showing off; the hidden shirk!

In summary, the general point I'm making is that it isn't as big a deal as the initial poster has put it, especially considering the impracticality that it may cause, and more importantly the fear of hidden shirk coming into play. However, like I said though it seemed as though I was misunderstood, I'm not exorting people to refrain from thanking!

Was-salaam

Salamalaykum,

Wa iyyakum brothers/sisters.

Brother Kashmiri if u have notice I didnt said that we should not say thanks i said that WE SHOULD NOT EXPECT THANKS we are here for the sake of Allah and to improve ourself in Iman. So we should expect reward from Allah only. If any Brothers/Sisters do suplicates or say thanks its upto them.

In personal I will like to suplicate or say thanks for any blessing of Allah in any form (example: Here good post is also a nama from Allah to us we are increasing our knowledge of Iman and getting help by the nice posts in our efforts to practice Quran and sunnah) I dont remember the proper hadith but the summer is Prophet (pbuh) said THE MORE U THANK TO ALLAH FOR THE BLESSING THE MORE U WILL GET IT. so it means saying thinks will increase in our namat.

In short I mean to say is we should always thanks for anything we get at the same time we should not expect thanks for any thing we did. In my view the best way of thanking anybody is to do supplicate in his favour from THE ALMIGHT ALLAH. This are only my thoughts, rest Allah knows the best. I m sorry if my thoughts hurted to anyone in anyways. Pls do correct me if I m worng for the sake of Allah.

Jazak Allah khair.

samiha

---------
Staff member
wa 'alaykum salaam

This is a silly issue to continue as both of you are not really contradicting each other.

What is being questioned is the fact of its rudeness. That is the point trying to be gotten across. Al-Kashmiri never said not to thank, rather he said it was a good thing, and you akhi also did not say not to thank, therefore you are both in agreement. However what is being questioned is: Is it really rude to not post thanks?

And in this I agree with Al-Kashmiri. We're not talking about whether it's good or not, rather the opposite of if it's rude to not do so. And in truth it is impractical!

Think if I'm here as a guest, which I am liable to do many times, and I see a good article; I love it dearly but should I be obliged to log in just to say so ?! Just to come in and say "Masha'Allah that's a good article - Jazakallah khayr!" ... or would it be better and more beneficial for the person if I say took this article and posted it on my newsletter so that many others can get access to it? Or what if I took it and gave the message to the rest of the family - thus increasing the khayr from the knowledge? What is being expressed in writing I feel is only a shallow appreciation and should not stand for a sign of politeness or rudeness.

It's a shallow judge of appreciation, and those who do not say it should not be blamed or regarded any lower than those who did. Allah knows best, maybe the one who read it but did not reply felt its effects more, learned more, spread it more, whilst the other merely scanned through it, and to make the poster feel better replied with a hearty thanks. I've noticed this as well.... sometimes when one posts an article which is entirely too long to be read in the span of seconds, you have people posting to say :jazaak:! ... I would personally rather they read it, instead of having to thank.

These are just separate examples; others could include perhaps a User not having time to post a dua, perhaps they said it but did not write it etc - overall there can be many excuses why one may not have given thanks and for that its not blameworthy.

Also though we may claim we are here to post only for Allah, that cant be said of everyone. Everyone has a struggle with intentions sometimes, and so we should never be too certain of ourselves. I mean, even I will claim it does feel nice when one thanks you for their post,and it maybe saddening when you see that nobody does to another thread. But in reality as has been stated, its no scale and we should constantly strive to purify intentions, as even the scholars of the past did:

Sufyaan ibn Sa'eed ath-Thawree said, "I did not treat anything more difficult than my sincerity" - (The Etiquette of Seeking Knowledge - Shaykh Bakr Aboo Zayd)

Therefore, to encourage that, I dont even see the need to ask others to ask. In short, even the one recieving the knowledge does not do it because of the poster, but via the poster - however it is from Allah that all knowledge comes. Therefore we should thank Him first and show Him our gratitude by improving ourselves by whatever we come across. If that includes showing gratitude to the one who posted, that is good, but if it can be achieved otherwise I feel it does not have to be a critisized factor.

Also though we post in public, in reality the best supplications are those for your brother/sister in secret, so that too should be kept in mind.

Showing gratitude is good, but mandating it I feel is not.

May Allah correct all our affairs

wasalam