Salam < > Islam?

alf2

Islam is a way of life
Salaam alaykum :)

This is an Arabic question I suppose. I have read many times where Muslims trying to win the Kufr over say.."Islam means peace!" When this is of course incorrect.

Islam - Submission
Muslim - Submitter
Salam - Peace

BUT...Is there an Arabic connection between Salam and Islam? They sound like they some common root :rolleyes:

I hope this all made sense!

ximkoyra

This is an Arabic question I suppose. I have read many times where Muslims trying to win the Kufr over say.."Islam means peace!" When this is of course incorrect.

Islam - Submission
Muslim - Submitter
Salam - Peace

BUT...Is there an Arabic connection between Salam and Islam? They sound like they some common root :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that there is a connection. I was reading something about this a little while ago and I think it's pretty accurate:

In conclusion, a qualified translation is in order for the real meaning of the Arabic word “Islam” to be fully and faithfully conveyed in the English language. Islam does not mean “submission,” Islam means “to freely submit one’s will to God’s, in pursuit of divine peace.” A simpler version that carries the same meaning is “to enter into God’s peace,” as Professor Tariq Ramadan proposes.

The entire article is here:

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/religion_theseeker/2010/11/language-matters-islam-a-definition.html#more

So, the link is that we willingly submit to God's will in search of peace(salam).

SIRAJ-UD-DEEN

Assalaamu Alaikum,

tashdeed(arabic) = mushaddad (letter with tashdeed)

harkat(zabar,zer,pesh) = Muthaharrak (letters with harkat

same with ISLAM

salaam(blessing) = ISLAM ( Religion of blessings)

samiha

---------
Staff member

wa 'alaykum salaam wa rahmatullaah

Yep ukhti, not only did it make sense, I will have to say that mashaAllaah for not having studied Arabic you have a very good ear and understanding. If you ever get a chance to look into it, you'll see that Arabic is structured very differently from English. Each word in Arabic is formed by certain "roots" which are derived from the letters in the words themselves. Words which have common root letters at times share a common meaning, or connections to the other meaning.

So, both Salaam (سلام) and Islaam (إسلام) come from the root of : Seen Laam Meem - س ل م

Whereas some people try to directly coin the meaning of Islaam to 'Salaam' the more proper backing is from the word 'Istislaam' (استسلم) which means to submit or surrender, which of course in this case is to the will of Allaah subhan wa ta'ala.

Therefore as I once heard Shaykh Ibrahim Zidan say the most complete meaning of Islaam would be, "Complete submission to the will of Allaah subhana wa ta'ala through which one can achieve peace." (Of course this is from my memory and the wording may be slightly different)

So it's actually a bit more complex then a one word translation isn't it? SubhanAllaah. It's really the beauty of the language; even aside from the case of "Islaam" you'll find looking into the Qur'aan with Arabic has much more depth than the translations we get.

It's late here so I hope I'm not confusing!

Also I did speak from that which I've learned, but am definitely open to corrections if I have erred.

faaraa

Nothing but Muslimah

Islam - Submission
Muslim - Submitter
Salam - Peace

:wasalam:

Fist of all, I dont know much Arabic.. I am just learning now-a-days, ALAHMDULILLAH..

But I can help you by taking a paragraph from the PDF of Dr. Zakir Naik on "Non-Muslim Common Questions About Islam"

He says,..

Islam means peace.
Islam comes from the root word ‘salaam’, which means peace. It also means
submitting one’s will to Allah (swt). Thus Islam is a religion of peace, which is
acquired by submitting one’s will to the will of the Supreme Creator, Allah (swt).

ALLAH AZZAWAJAL Knows the best..

Hope that might help you..:) INSHA ALLAH

FEE AMANILLAH:hearts:

alf2

Islam is a way of life
Thanks so much for the replies everyone, Alhamdulilah :)
I will surely look up this lecture from Dr. Zakir Naik, I'm surprised I've not heard it before since he is one of my favourite Islamic Scholars.

@ Samiha:

Thank you, haha. Even though I have not taken a language course in Arabic (yet!) I have studied Spanish, French, Danish as well as elementary Latin.Because of this, I can tell when words share a common root meaning :)

I cannot wait to study Arabic, insha'Allah. It is by far my favourite language even though it's also the most complex I've come across.

hana*

I cannot wait to study Arabic, insha'Allah. It is by far my favourite language even though it's also the most complex I've come across.

wishing you every success in learning arabic, just wait untill you start understanding parts of the quran in its true form..it opens up a whole new dimension for you

salamualaikum

samiha

---------
Staff member
@ Samiha:

Thank you, haha. Even though I have not taken a language course in Arabic (yet!) I have studied Spanish, French, Danish as well as elementary Latin.Because of this, I can tell when words share a common root meaning :)

:salam2:

Ahh I see mashaAllaah, that's really amazing. I love languages; I really think they are all beautiful and so complex. But yes Arabic is a priority for me as well. I'm still learning but I hope the best for you in your endeavors! The Grammar is mindboggling at times, but that's what makes it so eloquent a language.