Sent Home from Work for Wearing Pink Hijib for breast cancer awareness day

Sister Kalena

Today I am truly a Muslim American.

In honor of my brothers and sisters who's lives has been affected by breast cancer, I wore a pink hajib. I am a recent revert, and it was my first time at work to wear hajib.

I talked to my direct supervisor before I left the office, showed her my attire, and gave her a flyer about Pink Hajib Day for Breast Cancer Awareness. Everything was just fine, and I started my work.

I received a call about 15 minutes after I left, saying my supervisor had "spoken too soon when she "OK"ed my scarf, that she needed to speak to the owner of the company about it..."

In the meantime, I was told to "go in the restroom and take it off" before I saw my next vendor because they are Catholic.

I'm offended and sad but determined to be Hajibi from now on!:girl3:

They will never take away my hijib!:ma:

Thank you for listening...:tti_sister: ALLAH AKBAR!

xAllahKnowsBestx

Assalamu Alaikum,

Aww, I'm so proud of you! :hijabi: Mashallah.

Did they make you take it off or did you just leave? That was really racist...Well, religion defined. People should be able to wear whatever they want. Ughh, I don't see what the point of making you take that off is. I mean, it's not like anything's gonna change.
People are always gonna try to bring you down, you've gotta be strong no matter what. :)

I hope Allah guides you and all of us throughout our lives with the best of emaan.

Walaikun Asslam.

JenGiove

In honor of my brothers and sisters who's lives has been affected by breast cancer, I wore a pink hajib. I am a recent revert, and it was my first time at work to wear hajib.

I talked to my direct supervisor before I left the office, showed her my attire, and gave her a flyer about Pink Hajib Day for Breast Cancer Awareness. Everything was just fine, and I started my work.

I received a call about 15 minutes after I left, saying my supervisor had "spoken too soon when she "OK"ed my scarf, that she needed to speak to the owner of the company about it..."

In the meantime, I was told to "go in the restroom and take it off" before I saw my next vendor because they are Catholic.

Sister,

Your employer just broke the law. It is UNLAWFUL for them to ask you to remove your Hajib. Enjoy the mountains of money that can come your way! Here is the link you need to read.

http://www.eeoc.gov/laws/types/religion.cfm
Religious Accommodation/Dress & Grooming Policies
Unless it would be an undue hardship on the employer's operation of its business, an employer must reasonably accommodate an employee's religious beliefs or practices. This applies not only to schedule changes or leave for religious observances, but also to such things as dress or grooming practices that an employee has for religious reasons. These might include, for example, wearing particular head coverings or other religious dress (such as a Jewish yarmulke or a Muslim headscarf), or wearing certain hairstyles or facial hair (such as Rastafarian dreadlocks or Sikh uncut hair and beard). It also includes an employee's observance of a religious prohibition against wearing certain garments (such as pants or miniskirts).

When an employee or applicant needs a dress or grooming accommodation for religious reasons, he should notify the employer that he needs such an accommodation for religious reasons. If the employer reasonably needs more information, the employer and the employee should engage in an interactive process to discuss the request. If it would not pose an undue hardship, the employer must grant the accommodation.

Munawar

Striving for Paradise
:salam2:
Assalam-o-alikum Sister Kalena,

Sister I am proud of you. :ma: It is sad that in today's America these kinds of things are happening.

I can't understand the logic... You were told to go in the restroom and take the Hijab off before you saw your next vendor because they were Catholic ???

What if the vendor was a Protestant? Do Protestent don't mind hijab, only Catholics do? LOL. Haven't Catholics seen their own NUNS ? Then why would they hate a Hijabi? :SMILY303:

Here in America every vendor you meet would be either a Protestent or Catholic or Morman etc. This is really funny. :lol:

Sister, if you want to resist it and fight it then you can contact CAIR (Council on American-Islamic Relations). They help people who are victimised because of their faith.

You can visit their website http://www.cair.com

You can file also complaint here: http://www.cair.com/FileaComplaint.aspx

But I would recommend to talk to the business owner first in a very nice and friendly way. Try to remove his concerns, at the same time be firm on your belief. Maybe this is your first Dawah opportunity to present Islam to a non-Muslim. Also before you talk to any one, always make Dua to Allah (SWT) that He makes it easy for you and help you in attaining your goal.

Fighting a legal case is not a very friendly option and normally takes longer to settle. But if despite your repeated efforts things do not go towards a just solution then you have this legal option available, and CAIR can help you as they have helped many before.

Once again sister Congratulations on standing firm on your belief.
Sister remember: Ultimate Victory will be for the believers, but only after succeeding in Trials.

Allah says in the Quran:

"Alif-Laam-Meem. Do people think that they will be left alone because they say: 'We believe,' and will not be tested?"
[Soorah al-Ankaboot (29): 1-3]

"Or do you think that you will enter Paradise without such (trials) as came to those who passed away before you? They were afflicted with severe poverty and ailments and were so shaken that even the Messenger and those who believed along with him said: 'When (will come) the help of Allah?' Yes! Certainly, the help of Allah is near!"
[Soorah al-Baqarah (2): 214]

The Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said: "The people most severely tested are the Prophets, then the righteous, then the next best and the next best. A man will be tested in accordance with the degree of his religious commitment; the stronger his religious commitment, the stronger his test."
[Tuhfat al-Ahwadhi (7:78)]

Well sister... You have just entered into the "Test Center" where you will face many trials, so be firm and take help of your fellow Muslimahs in your area from the Masjid. When you will have friends around you then these trials will feel easy. In the end you will be the winner. InshaAllah.

Please read the this very inspiring story: http://www.famousmuslims.com/Aminah Assilmi.htm

Wassalam.
:wasalam:

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I pray I read this correctly..they told you to remove your pink scarf/hijab because they did not want you to honor breast cancer awarness?
So I am to assume the Catholics are against honoring breast cancer awarness? . Thus no-one at your company can wear yellow ribbons or the red white and blue ribbons.
What are the specifics of the dress code. Read the dress code. If you can not wear any headgear..no man can wear a hat nor woman. Headbands would not be allowed. Read the nitty-gritty.
Catholics are very conservative and Catholic women still wear a veil to Mass.
It is against the law to discriminate.
Your owner and boss made assumptions out of ignorance. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse when you run a business.
They spoke for the Catholic vendor. The flip side to this is they have preconcieved ideas of what a Catholic believes. That is prejudice.

Gently approach your supervisor. She is caught in the middle and reason with her. Pull out the dress code manual. Contact your union representative if you have one. Keep it in house. If that does not work contact CAIR.
Please make a log immediately recalling as much of the verbatim details as you can.

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
dang..people can be THAT prejudice??

like many people have mentioned....its against the law for anybody to discriminate others based on religious issues. I agree with Sister Appa, look things throughly and see what steps you can take insha'Allaah. THIS needs to stop right there.....be the change they need to see in that area. Stand up for your rights dear sister.....your voice needs to be heard.

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
As-salaamu `alaikum, sister!

May Allah swt's help be with you at all times.Aameen

wait though, did you actually take it OFF? I mean, in your post you only told us when she said go and take it off...and then how you want to keep it on(which, Insha'allah, you Will) from now on. but what happened AFTER you were told to do tha.....I sort of thought you "got suspended" for refusing to obbey her *made-up* rule...?

MalikBrother

Masha'Allah Masha'Allah!

You continue to impress me, and remain role model for the women out there who are victimized of not wearing Hijab due to the pressure. You continue to stay on your stance, and made it very quite clear impression you have. May Allah continues to give you strength to bear and adjust in difficult times. Stay strong that you are, and always must remain. Allah is watching us, and will look after us. I am very proud of you, and i really am. Sister Kalena!

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
:salam2:wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu....

ALLAH AKBAR!
i just got to say:That's the spirit^_^!!

The rest can be solved with this attitude and Allah's help.Who are they to try and push you away from the right path..

keep it going sister.Welldone,Masha'Allah=)!!

MahyarEL-Prince

Studying Islam...
I Love hearing thnigs like this..
may Allah preserve you.. And Remember it's a test.. So be ready for the tests and
BE PAITENT.. Preserve.. and seek refuge with Allah and keep your faith strong.. Ask Allah to renew your faith inshallah..
salamualaikum

saifkhan

abd-Allah
Salam alaikum

JazakAllahu khair, inshaa'Allah you'll be helped by Allah subhanahu wa ta'la
we'll pray for you.

I know it is very hard time for Muslims both men and women.
but inshaa'Allah our brothers and sisters are not sitting quiet.
they are fighting for the normal human rights, protest is going all throught the world!
Inshaa'Allah we'll be able to revive our identity in the rocked-face of the Earth.
may Allah azza wa jal help us.

JazakAllahu khair
wassalam

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
Sister kalina, dont say you are an American muslim but say you are a muslim.

Yeh, We are muslims and indeed we are proud of our religion!!! Allahu Akbar!!

queenislam

★★★I LOVE ALLAH★★★
breast cancer awareness day for woman n men!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
:bismillah:

On top of that they should respect you bcuz the respect you shown on the breast cancer awareness day and it world wide!
Men do have them too the term did not stop on woman only!!!

I am sooo sorry for the treatment you encounter but people with wise thinking will aways appreciate the kindness that you shown.
~May Allah swt protect and reward you tremendously~Amin!

It's soo cool to support

~May Allah swt protect all muslim~Amin!

Thank you,
Take Care!

~Wassalam :)

MalikBrother

We shouldn't let the nationalism associate with us to keep us seperated, as we are Muslim, born and die to submit ourselves to Allah - 'There is no God, but Allah and Prophet Mohammad (P.B.U.H) is his messenger'

Sometimes, it's important to mention the country name, and therefore, it clears the misunderstanding as where do we live, our background, the understanding of each individual countries.

kayleigh

So wait... did they tell you to remove it because it was hijab, or because it was pink? If you're American, that's totally illegal.

Sister Kalena

Hijab at work update

Thank you all for the kind words of support.

To clarify, I did leave my job yesterday when I was told to remove my hijab.

It turns out it was all just a huge misunderstanding! LOL! The owner, my supervisor, and the office manager all called me to apologize and assure me that they had no problem with my headscarf and I was more than welcome to wear it to work anytime I wished.

My non-Muslim husband is supporting me 100% on this issue

So, I proudly wore my hijab to work today as I will everyday from now on. :ma:

MalikBrother

Glad to hear everything is sorted it out. Praise be to Allah!

And my request of five selected books has been approved, and will be shipped in less than 2 weeks, is thank to your prayer. May Allah bless you, and bring the happiness in your life, Ameen!

Munawar

Striving for Paradise

See sister you met your first test and you passed it with flying colors. Whether it was a misunderstanding or not, it was a for sure a test. And you have already got the ajar (rewards) for it. :ma:

My heartiest congratulations to you sister Kalena.

May you pass all your trials and tests like this and get the highest reward Jannah Al-Firdous in the hereafter. Ameen.

:wasalam: