Statue building

Rebaz

Hello, an old friend called me today and wanted to know my view about a sculpture she's making in an area where there lives a lot of muslims. I told her the view from a islamic way and decided to meet her in few weeks to speak about it proper. What's the best thing to do?

islamirama

www.netmuslims.com
Muslims will not be pleased...

Erecting statues for any purpose is haraam, whether that is as a memorial to kings, commanders of armies, prominent figures and reformers, or as a symbol of wisdom and courage, like the statue of the Sphinx etc, or for any other purpose, because of the general meaning of the saheeh ahaadeeth that forbid that, and because it is a means that leads to shirk as happened to the people of Nooh.​

From Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 1/478.

http://islamqa.com/en/ref/34839

your-sister

Sorry, but seeing as you're a male(a Muslim one at that)...why are you 'friends' with a sister in the first place?

A'uudhu billaah! She may not understand this but if the prophet warned his people about taking pictures, imagine actually shaping a form..! A sanam!

Hopefully you could change her mind.(if that is what you meant by explaining this to her in person..)

Salaam alaikum!

Rebaz

Sorry, but seeing as you're a male(a Muslim one at that)...why are you 'friends' with a sister in the first place?

A'uudhu billaah! She may not understand this but if the prophet warned his people about taking pictures, imagine actually shaping a form..! A sanam!

Hopefully you could change her mind.(if that is what you meant by explaining this to her in person..)

Salaam alaikum!

1) I'm not going to take this story any further about why I'm friend with a woman, it's on a level of friendship, I find it offending when you put the friend part in a quote.

2) She's not a muslim and I live in a non-muslim state, who am I to decide what she's making or not making? She just wanted the islamic view on this to not offend anyone, I find that very respectful.

Rebaz

Muslims will not be pleased...

Erecting statues for any purpose is haraam, whether that is as a memorial to kings, commanders of armies, prominent figures and reformers, or as a symbol of wisdom and courage, like the statue of the Sphinx etc, or for any other purpose, because of the general meaning of the saheeh ahaadeeth that forbid that, and because it is a means that leads to shirk as happened to the people of Nooh.​

From Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 1/478.

http://islamqa.com/en/ref/34839

I'm aware of the rules, but please read what I said. Is it likely that I live in a muslim country? Infact, I live in one of the most ateistic countries in the world.

Musalmaan

I'm aware of the rules, but please read what I said. Is it likely that I live in a muslim country? Infact, I live in one of the most ateistic countries in the world.

I'm confused as to what type of advice you're looking for ? islamirama just told you that from an Islamic perspective building statues is wrong.

Now you say you live in a non-Muslim country so with all due respect I don't see how informing your friend of the Islamic view of such things is going to change her mind about erecting a sculpture in a area with a heavy muslim population. :)

Rebaz

I'm confused as to what type of advice you're looking for ? islamirama just told you that from an Islamic perspective building statues is wrong.

Now you say you live in a non-Muslim country so with all due respect I don't see how informing your friend of the Islamic view of such things is going to change her mind about erecting a sculpture in a area with a heavy muslim population. :)

I told her it's forbidden in the islamic perspective and I'm trying to let her know, but the problem is I'm not sure if the muslims in that area really care, I haven't see a lot of islamic behaviours from them.

islamirama

www.netmuslims.com
I told her it's forbidden in the islamic perspective and I'm trying to let her know, but the problem is I'm not sure if the muslims in that area really care, I haven't see a lot of islamic behaviours from them.

There are many Muslims who do not practice and don't care much but even they are troubled by many things that are against there religion. If you are in atheist land, do these "democratic" people not respect the beliefs of the communities residing there? What importance does a stupid statue have and does it have to be put in a Muslim community? Is the country not big enough to put it else where?

your-sister

1) I'm not going to take this story any further about why I'm friend with a woman, it's on a level of friendship, I find it offending when you put the friend part in a quote.

2) She's not a muslim and I live in a non-muslim state, who am I to decide what she's making or not making? She just wanted the islamic view on this to not offend anyone, I find that very respectful.

Well, I apologize for being concerned about my Muslim brother's akhlaaq! It was just a simple reminder, brother. I dont see the reason for you getting offended. And friend was in semi-quotes for the obvious reason of such thing as being *friends* with the opposite gender simply not... existing - shouldn't exist. But again, my apologies! And you don't need to elaborate on your friendship either as I have not asked you to do so and it also isn't any of my business.

you'll find that majority of us here happen to reside in non-Muslim countries as well, akh. However, it's still our duty to defend Islaam. And if stopping someone from creating Asnaam, in a place our fellow brothers and sisters live, is the way to do it, we should be hasten in doing it so(so long as it's in our power). And well, you obviously can! Just provide the proofs and if she was already hesitant before, she's most likely going to back out of her plans fully now. Inshaa'Allaah..

Fii Amaanillaah.

MohammedMaksudul

May Allah Forgive us

She did not say anything wrong when she pointed out the friendship part. Who told you Islam supports a level of friendship with non-mahrams?

Rebaz

Well, I apologize for being concerned about my Muslim brother's akhlaaq! It was just a simple reminder, brother. I dont see the reason for you getting offended. And friend was in semi-quotes for the obvious reason of such thing as being *friends* with the opposite gender simply not... existing - shouldn't exist. But again, my apologies! And you don't need to elaborate on your friendship either as I have not asked you to do so and it also isn't any of my business.

you'll find that majority of us here happen to reside in non-Muslim countries as well, akh. However, it's still our duty to defend Islaam. And if stopping someone from creating Asnaam, in a place our fellow brothers and sisters live, is the way to do it, we should be hasten in doing it so(so long as it's in our power). And well, you obviously can! Just provide the proofs and if she was already hesitant before, she's most likely going to back out of her plans fully now. Inshaa'Allaah..

Fii Amaanillaah.

Okay thank you for explaining, but I find it kinda offending when My muslim brothers have no trust left for Each other and think the worst of eachother as soon as sucha things are begin mentioned.

And ill do My duty as à muslim to stop this and hope Allah Will be pleased.

Rebaz

She did not say anything wrong when she pointed out the friendship part. Who told you Islam supports a level of friendship with non-mahrams?

Well, since you took it this far, even when the topic was not about this, and you like to point out My wrong steps in the public instead of Pming me I can explain it -

1) she's à teacher and ignoring her would be awkward, maybe I should have used earplugs and gloves on her lessons to prevent any contact With her?

2) I'm 16 years and she's 55+, is your way of thinking logical?

So please keep answering about the topic instead of jumping on things you have no idea about, and may Allah forgive me if Ive Said something wrong.

MohammedMaksudul

May Allah Forgive us
Well, since you took it this far, even when the topic was not about this, and you like to point out My wrong steps in the public instead of Pming me I can explain it -

1) she's à teacher and ignoring her would be awkward, maybe I should have used earplugs and gloves on her lessons to prevent any contact With her?

2) I'm 16 years and she's 55+, is your way of thinking logical?

So please keep answering about the topic instead of jumping on things you have no idea about, and may Allah forgive me if Ive Said something wrong.

My deep apologies for hurting you. May Allah forgive me and I hope that you will too. Sometimes I am indeed fast to judge, where as I am no one to do that. If you made it a little clear earlier that your teacher asked you to do so, may be we wouldn't have had such an idea. Anyways, Sorry once again. Barak Allahu feekum. Astaghfiru-Allah.