The Holy Bible Describing God In Humanly Forms & Attributes

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!

PROOF:

[Genesis 2:2] “By the seventh day God completed His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done.“

[Genesis 3:8-10] “They heard the sound of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and the man and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God among the trees of the garden. Then the LORD God called to the man, and said to him, “Where are you?” God asked, “Who told you that you were naked? Did you eat fruit from the tree I commanded you not to eat from?””

[Genesis 6:6] “The LORD was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart.“

[Exodus 32:14] “And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people“

[Psalm 4:23] “Then the Lord awakened as one out of sleep, and a mighty man that shouts by reason of wine.“

tsk-tsk!

As Muslims we condem likening God to the creation. Almighty Allaah says in the Qur’an:

(O Muhammad) Say to the people: “He is Allah, The One. The Self-Sufficient Master, Whom all creatures need, He neither eats nor drinks. He doesn’t give birth (i.e, He has no son), nor was He given birth to (how can Mary give birth to God?). And there is none co-equal or comparable unto Him (there is nothing like him)”.” (Chapter 112, Verses 1-4)

Source: http://theauthenticbase.wordpress.c...e-describing-god-in-humanly-forms-attributes/

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010

PROOF:

[Genesis 2:2] “By the seventh day God completed His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done.“

[Genesis 3:8-10] “They heard the sound of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and the man and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God among the trees of the garden. Then the LORD God called to the man, and said to him, “Where are you?” God asked, “Who told you that you were naked? Did you eat fruit from the tree I commanded you not to eat from?””

[Genesis 6:6] “The LORD was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart.“

[Exodus 32:14] “And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people“

[Psalm 4:23] “Then the Lord awakened as one out of sleep, and a mighty man that shouts by reason of wine.“

tsk-tsk!

As Muslims we condem likening God to the creation. Almighty Allaah says in the Qur’an:

(O Muhammad) Say to the people: “He is Allah, The One. The Self-Sufficient Master, Whom all creatures need, He neither eats nor drinks. He doesn’t give birth (i.e, He has no son), nor was He given birth to (how can Mary give birth to God?). And there is none co-equal or comparable unto Him (there is nothing like him)”.” (Chapter 112, Verses 1-4)

Source: http://theauthenticbase.wordpress.c...e-describing-god-in-humanly-forms-attributes/

Anthropomorphizing Allah was one of the aspects of Christianity which I disliked.

Many believe that this is not anthropomorphizing. They believe that this is The MALECH Elohim (HEBREWS 1:1)

The angel according to Jewish Theology was he who discoursed with Moses.

From the Zohar we read:

"There is a man, if a man he is, who is an Angel. This Angel is Metatron. The keeper of Israel...."

This school of thought teaches that "God" placed his name on an Angel and that this Angel would be a manifestation of "God" that could interact with humans face to face without the human with whom the interaction took place dying.

Gen 12:7; Gen 17:1-3 with Abraham.

Also, this was the Angel with whom Jacob wrestled.

Act 7:30 Steven recounting the burning bush of Moses' encounter.

Ex. 3:1-6, 10-12

Exodus 23:20-23

Only Allah can forgive sin. Exodus 34:5-8

Judges 2:4

Joshua 5:13 to 6:2. Gen.13:6, Gen 15:5, Gen 1:26 Targum Onkelos

And, this school of thought also believes that the Ruach Elohim is also the Meleck Ha Mohisach Isa 11:2 and Lam 2:19

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
The other verse appear to me to be poetic license using anthropomorphising technique for Allah, one aspect of shirk is ascribing of partners to Allah. Of course, there is a difference between partners and servants acting on Allah's orders. Many of the Vedic Scholars believe that The Vedic religion was originally a monotheistic religion that eventually made "gods" out of "God" by anthropomorphising "God" to the point where He became in the minds of the people separate "gods" instead of aspects of "God". The quotation marks are just to show that this is their wording in Sanskrit and not mine.

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
It is important to differentiate between metaphors and regular discourse. The examples you quoted are hard to explain away as metaphors. Perhaps brother Hamza (Frank) can tell us if those examples are widely accepted in the Church as metaphors?

The Quran, on the other hand, uses metaphors a lot to describe God. It says that God has hands, eyes and a face. It says that God "settles" on the Throne. It says that God "gets angry." The Qudsi Hadeeth says that God "comes near" a person and "scuttles" toward him. The authentic hadeeth says that God "descends" to the first heaven. The Quran also makes it clear that those are all metaphors because it says "Like His simile is nothing!" (42:11)

Assalaam o alaykum,

way-hey easy now bro... Allaah DOES have eyes, hands, a face etc.... These are NOT metaphors! Please revise this topic... it is critical that we, ahle sunnah, know our aqeeda

And Allaah does not "settle" above the throne.... the arabic is istiwaa, which means "rose over"....

And Allaah DOES get angry IN A MANER SUITED TO HIS MAJESTY AND GLORY... not like us, lum ya qullahu kufuwan ahad (there is NONE like him)!

Allaah says, laisa kamithlihi shay, wa huwa samee'ul baseer (there is nothing liker him and He is the seeing, the hearing

so seeing and hearing are HUMAN qualities, but Allaah is affirming them for Himself, but first says (in the ayah) thath there is NOTHING like him...

We (ahle sunnah) take the qur'aan as it is..... If you say these are metaphores u should bring proof from the prophet/sahaabah/tabi'een/taba tabi'een or else not say a word concerning that which is not to be said...

this (what i have mentioned) is the view/opinion of all the early scholars of islaam including the four imaams (abu haneefah, maalik, shaafi'ee & ahmad), including imaam bukhaari, imaam muslim... and ALL the scholars of the past known to be of ahle sunnah...

with all due respect, ya akhi..... Whoever taught u this is/has obviously been influenced by the ash'aree aqeeda...

Plz akhee, dont speak about the qur'aan without proper understanding....

And i love u for the sake of Allaah

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
It is important to differentiate between metaphors and regular discourse. The examples you quoted are hard to explain away as metaphors. Perhaps brother Hamza (Frank) can tell us if those examples are widely accepted in the Church as metaphors?

The Quran, on the other hand, uses metaphors a lot to describe God. It says that God has hands, eyes and a face. It says that God "settles" on the Throne. It says that God "gets angry." The Qudsi Hadeeth says that God "comes near" a person and "scuttles" toward him. The authentic hadeeth says that God "descends" to the first heaven. The Quran also makes it clear that those are all metaphors because it says "Like His simile is nothing!" (42:11)

Akhee there is NO PROOF to say that these are metaphors... If you say they are, then bring proof... Otherwise, desist(stop) from speaking on this topic...

Sorry for my harshness but in matters like this, it has to be done....

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
As Salamu 'Alaykum,

I must confess that having read the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji before having read AL QUR'AAN when I read:

Al-Ikhlas
In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful
Say: He is Allah, the One! (1) Allah, the eternally Besought of all! (2) He begetteth not nor was begotten. (3) And there is none comparable unto Him. (4)

I thought of The Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji

ਸੋਚੈ ਸੋਚਿ ਨ ਹੋਵਈ ਜੇ ਸੋਚੀ ਲਖ ਵਾਰ ॥
सोचै सोचि न होवई जे सोची लख वार ॥
Socẖai socẖ na hova▫ī je socẖī lakẖ vār.
By thinking, He cannot be reduced to thought, even by thinking hundreds of thousands of times.

Was Sallam

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
Dude, Al-Azhar is ash'aree in aqeeda!

Affirm what Allaah has affirmed for himself...

By the way, you still need to bring proof.. What you quoted does not constitue as proof, your only using ur rational thinking to explain an ayah. We both agree "laisa kamithlihi shay"

WHO SAYS IT IS A METAPHORE? Answer this...

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
Want another proof? How about 28:88, "Everything is perishing, except His Face". Do we conclude that His hands will perish? God forbid! Don't you get it? It's a metaphor: "His Face" is a metaphor for His Supreme Being which can never perish.

Assalaam o alaykum,

Have u studies Islaam to know and give your OWN explanation of the ayaahs of Allaah?!

This is what Ibn Katheer says on this ayaah:

(Everything will perish save His Face.) Here Allah is telling us that He is Eternal, Ever Lasting, Ever Living, Self-Sustaining, Who, although His creation dies, He will never die, as He says:

(Whatsoever is on it will perish. And the Face of your Lord full of majesty and honor will remain forever.) (55:26-27). Allah used the word "Face'' to refer to Himself, as He says here:

(Everything will perish save His Face.) meaning, everything except Him. It was reported in the Sahih via Abu Salamah that Abu Hurayrah said, "The Messenger of Allah said:

(The truest word of a poet was the saying of Labid - indeed everything except Allah is false.)

(His is the decision,) means, dominion and control, and there is none who can reverse His judgement or decision.

(and to Him you shall be returned.) means, on the Day when you will be brought back, and He will reward or punish you according to your deeds: if they are good, then you will be rewarded, and if they are bad, then you will be punished. This is the end of the Tafsir of Surat Al-Qasas. To Allah be praise and blessings.​

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
The prophet (saw) said;

"I seek refuge in Allaah the Mighty (al-'Adheem) and in His Noble Face and His Eternal Power for Shaytaan the Accursed" (Sunan Abu Dawood., cited here, the hadith is authentic according to Albani in Saheeh Abu Dawud, no. 466. )

So this is proof that God does indeed have a Face as an attribute.

mabera

Subhanallah

:salam2: bro. & sis. in islam.

Tauheed i s divided into 3 categories

1 rububiyyah meaning believing in Allah in His Actions/works, like He is the one who Creted us, send down the rain and created heaven and earth etc. everybody has this type of tauheed.

2.Uluuhiyyah believing in Allah in His worship that is He is the only Deity that is worthy of being worship. In this catergory only Muslims belong to it.

3. ASmaa'i wassiffa. believing in Allah in His Names And Attribute. this Catergory is the must difficult one, so a lot of Muslims doesn't have it ( only those that have sound Aqeedah).

All I want to say is that we must believe in all the attribute that Allah describe Himself with or prophet Muhammad describe Him with. Trying to find out how they are is not our own problem and will only lead us to astray.

For example Iman Malik was ask about Istawa. His answer was that Al istawa (Allah establish on His throne ) is well known, how Allah establish on his throne is unknown and Asking question on it is an innovation. Then he instruct people to send out that man that ask the question.

Lastly Bro. Ayman with this question " doesn't a face end at the ears, the hair and the chin?" you are describing human face, but does this apply to Cat, cow, lion,fish and many more creatures?. off course not. For Allah's sake we should stop using rational thinking to explain word of Allah. Allahu A'lam

arzafar

so lemme get this straight brother ayman.

do you believe that Allah possess face, hands in the manner that He has told us in the quran and Muhammad has told us?

arzafar

Q) Does God have a face, hands and descends to the lowest heavens?
A) yes because He says so

Q) Does He have all the attributes that He ascribes to Himself?
A) yes because He says so

Q) How do His hands, face look like?
A) We dont know and should not comment.

Q) How does He descend to the lowest heaven?
A) We dont know and should not comment.

Q Can we imagine what Ever-living, Eternal, Self-Sustaining and other attributes that Allah describes Himself with are like?
A) No we cannot.

perhaps im missing something but i dont see metaphors anywhere? However, i find the following very disturbing. Perhaps you can explain, specifically the part in bold.

When the Qudsi hadeeth tells us that God "descends to the first heaven" every night and calls out for all who want to repent so He would accept their repentance, is that literal? Of course not, because if it were literal it would imply that He was not in the first heaven, but there is no place He's not. So, it must be a metaphor.

which implies He is everywhere? Do you believe God is omnipresent? If so please provide textual evidence.

Karima80

:salam2:,
I'm not gonna get in to this discussion about metaphors and etc.

Just wanted to comment on that the bible shouldn't be quoted so orthodox/legitimt when the bible have been altered through times and from language to language and isn't read in the original language. That is compared to the Quaran that is still written and studied in arabic.

So be sure about the quoting. And be humble when you keep the discussion.

Just my humble opinion, forgive me if I said anything wrong.

Waseem203

Young Muslim
Allah in the Quran does say he has a Face, but that doesn't mean he has a human one. The nature of Allah is outside human comprehension so personally I think it's not good to dip into these topics too much. But concerning metaphors, I do think his Face is a metaphor to himself, or a metaphor to his majesty, for example.
Like we say a clock has a hand (for minutes, hours and seconds), but it's not a human hand.
Likewise, we know that God has a Face but it most certainly is not a human one. (There is none like unto him). I believe that debating over wether his Face is referring to himself or to an attribute of himself is pointless because we can not comprehend the nature of God :)

arzafar

"We created man and We know what his soul whispers to him and We are closer to him than the jugular vein." (50:16)
"And We are closer to him than you are, but you do not see." (56:85)
"And He is with you wherever you are" (57:4)

Below is the complete context in which the verses you quoted are said.

[yusuf Ali translation]

The companions of the Wood, and the people of Tubba; each one (of them) rejected the messengers, and My warning was duly fulfilled (in them). (50:14) Were We then weary with the first Creation, that they should be in confused doubt about a new Creation? (50:15) It was We who created man, and We know what dark suggestions his soul makes to him: for We are nearer to him than (his) jugular vein. (50:16) Behold two (guardian angels) appointed to learn (his doings) learn (and note them), one sitting on the right and one on the left. (50:17) Not a word does he utter but there is a sentinel by him, ready (to note it). (50:18)

Then why do ye not (intervene) when (the soul of the dying man) reaches the throat (56:83) And ye the while (sit) looking on (56:84) And We are closer to him than you are, but you do not see (56:85) Then why do you not if you are exempt from (future) account― (56:86) Call back the soul, if ye are true (in your claim of Independence)? (56:87) Thus then, if he be of those Nearest to Allah, (56:88) (There is for him) Rest and Satisfaction, and a Garden of Delights.

Whatever is in the heavens and on earth let it declare the Praises and Glory of Allah: for He is the Exalted in Might, the Wise. (1) To Him belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth; it is He Who gives life and Death; and He has Power over all things. (2) He is the First and the Last, the Evident and the Hidden and He has full knowledge of all things. (3) He it is Who created the heavens and the earth in six Days, and is moreover firmly established on the Throne (of authority), He knows what enters within the earth and what comes forth out of it, what comes down from heaven and what mounts up to it. And He is with you wheresoever ye may be. And Allah sees well all that ye do. (4) To Him belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth: and all affairs go back to Allah. (5) He merges Night into Day, and He merges Day into Night; and He has full knowledge of the secrets of (all) hearts. (6) Believe in Allah and His Messenger, and spend (in charity) out of the (substance) whereof He has made you heirs, For, those of you who believe and spend (in charity)― for them is a great Reward.

im no scholar but without even going into any explanation, from the context it's clear as daylight that words in bold actually refer to God describing His all encompassing knowledge (specifically the knowledge of actions/intentions/deeds of humans) and power rather than omnipresence.

Why do you say that God is omnipresent. anymore textual evidence? what do you have to say about the throne (2:255)?

arzafar

That is what a metaphor is! We keep going in circles. I don't know what else I can say to make that simple point.

not really; you quoted some verse out of context (implying that God is omnipresent). All i did was put the words in their proper context to clarify the actual meaning. The text requires basic comprehension and no interpretation as long as you read the verses in context. Allah is not omnipresent, but He is fully aware of and controls everything everywhere.

arzafar

That is what a metaphor is.

metaphor
a figure of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable in order to suggest a resemblance, as in “A mighty fortress is our god.” Compare mixed metaphor, simile ( def. 1 ) .
something used, or regarded as being used, to represent something else; emblem; symbol.

out of context
We are nearer to him than (his) jugular vein.

with the proper context
We are nearer to him than (his) jugular vein through Our all encompassing knowledge of his affairs, actions and intentions. (the italicized words are the summary of the context of this verse. refer to earlier post for the full context)

i dont see any metaphor, just quoting things with thir proper proper context.

arzafar

Bother, you seem to want to have the last word. That's fine. I give it to you. You win.

No this is not a competition!
It's about the truth. I used to believe in omnipresence too but then Allaah (The God) guided me. The difference the correct aqeeda made is 'tangible'. It's clear that we have a different Aqeedah; we dont worship the same god. To you yours and to me mine.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
:salam2:

Brother Arzafar , if we have differences in opinion, we should present what we know from the Ulema and then we let the other decide. We should exercise a lot of sabr if we are trying to advice or correct someone.

Alhamdulillah we are all worshipping Allah azz zawajal. The comments that you made at the end of your post could hurt brother Ayman's feelings. Also, it wouldn't make brother Ayman to change his mind. This only creates animosity between our hearts. Insha'Allah we should always converse with our fellow brothers with lot of love and affection as if they were our family member.

The best would be if you have a good explanation of your idea from a scholar. You can link it here and everyone can have a look and benefit from it.

I hope I haven't said something harsh. Please forgive me if I did.

We should always remember that our biggest enemy, Shaitaan wants to divide and seperate us & remove the love for eachother from our hearts.

May Allah subhaanahu waa ta'ala protect us. Ameen

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi