The truth: Islam does discriminate against women

ipanda

I am not Muslim but very interested in the religion. I watch videos, regular follower of peace tv lectures and websites. I respect many of its messages and some, i don't. I just cant believe how some scholars say women are treated in Islam equally as men. I am not sayin they are in other religions either, but it seems to be exterme in Islam.

Sometimes, i think it is not Islam, but the Men who follow it. But no. The root order did came from the Quran itself.

Please, share your views. Prove me wrong or right. I am very curious to hearin ur views.

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
Perhaps you can list the issues you find difficult to accept *specifically* by name or description?..for example..in a sentence or two list that you do not agree with hijab..and perhaps even explain *why?*..I think this will help the brothers and sisters find documents or sources which will help you comprehend the deeper and more spiritual reasons behind an Islamic law..

I say this because giving a *general* disagreement might get a plethora of arguments rise *none of which* might relate to *your specific concerns*..so to save you (and the those helping you) a whole lot of time..it's best that you *name* your disagreements *clearly*

I wish you the best in your learning

Peace

ipanda

10x for your reply. Just one, for e.g., a Muslim friend of mine gave me a book about Women in Islam. I loved the fact that Islam considers thier biological/anatomical nature into consideration for certain things. However, in the book, i come thru 2 points that i find very, very hard to accept:

1. Hijab: I read that they need to wear it, completely cover each flesh that a MALE may see. I didnt see a similar request from the guys. Whats that about really?

2. Marriage: It is allowed for a man to marry more than 1 women. Of course, he must support them all. Is it possible, however, for any man to love each woman equally? Are the women really happy or it is just an order they must accept?

There were more points...but i will stop here.

BigAk

10x for your reply. Just one, for e.g., a Muslim friend of mine gave me a book about Women in Islam. I loved the fact that Islam considers thier biological/anatomical nature into consideration for certain things. However, in the book, i come thru 2 points that i find very, very hard to accept:.

Would you please site the book you're referring to? .. It's title and the author's name etc??

BigAk

2. Marriage: It is allowed for a man to marry more than 1 women. Of course, he must support them all. Is it possible, however, for any man to love each woman equally? Are the women really happy or it is just an order they must accept?.

As for second point. Islam offers polygamy as a solution to the society, and not for individual sexual or selfish reasons. If not, especially when one can't do justice, Islam orders men to "MARRY ONLY ONE." Quran is the only religious book on earth that has such a command.

Here's an interesting video to illustrate the issue further:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShqTxyvvTK8&feature=related

..DuA..

some notes about Woman in İslam ;)

Women in Islam

At a time when the rest of the world, from Greece and Rome to India and China, considered women as no better than children or even slaves, with no rights whatsoever, Islam acknowledged women's equality with men in a great many respects. The Quran states:

"And among His signs is this: that He created mates for you from yourselves that you may find rest and peace of mind in them, and He ordained between you love and mercy. Certainly, herein indeed are signs for people who reflect." [Noble Quran 30:21]

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said:

"The most perfect in faith amongst believers is he who is best in manners and kindest to his wife." [Abu Dawud]

Muslims believe that Adam and Eve were created from the same soul. Both were equally guilty of their sin and fall from grace, and Allah forgave both. Many women in Islam have had high status; consider the fact that the first person to convert to Islam was Khadijah, the wife of Muhammad, whom he both loved and respected. His favorite wife after Khadijah's death, Ayshah, became renowned as a scholar and one of the greatest sources of Hadith literature. Many of the female Companions accomplished great deeds and achieved fame, and throughout Islamic history there have been famous and influential scholars and jurists.

We might also mention that while many in the West criticize Islam with regard to the treatment of women, in fact a number of Muslim countries have had women rulers and presidents. To name a few: Turkey; Bangladesh and Pakistan.

With regard to education, both women and men have the same rights and obligations. This is clear in Prophet Muhammad's saying:

"Seeking knowledge is mandatory for every believer." [Ibn Majah]

This implies men and women.

A woman is to be treated as God has endowed her, with rights, such as to be treated as an individual, with the right to own and dispose of her own property and earnings, enter into contracts, even after marriage. She has the right to be educated and to work outside the home if she so chooses. She has the right to inherit from her father, mother, and husband. A very interesting point to note is that in Islam, unlike any other religion, a woman can be an imam, a leader of communal prayer, for a group of women.

A Muslim woman also has obligations. All the laws and regulations pertaining to prayer, fasting, charity, pilgrimage, doing good deeds, etc., apply to women, albeit with minor differences having mainly to do with female physiology.

Before marriage, a woman has the right to choose her husband. Islamic law is very strict regarding the necessity of having the woman's consent for marriage. The groom gives a marriage dowry to the bride for her own personal use. She keeps her own family name, rather than taking her husband's. As a wife, a woman has the right to be supported by her husband even if she is already rich. She also has the right to seek divorce and custody of young children. She does not return the dowry, except in a few unusual situations.

Despite the fact that in many places and times Muslim communities have not always adhered to all or even many of the foregoing in practice, the ideal has been there for 1,400 years, while virtually all other major civilizations did not begin to address these issues or change their negative attitudes until the 19th and 20th centuries, and there are still many contemporary civilizations which have yet to do so.​

a_stranger

Peace: the first goal in Islam is to establish a good relation between the creature and his creator , and between the creature and other creatures so that people live in harmony and peace .....One can come closer to Allah swt only with a pure heart avoiding sins......Higab is a mean to keep pure hearts since women in general are very attactive to men ......There is also so ruling for men to gard their modesty. Islam ask people to watch what they see, hear , think of, speek, .......do .......since Allah is watching all and we will be askd.

safiya58

:salam2:

would you love something which harms you? I doubt that... and if Islam would oppress women than why there are so many women who love Islam, live Islam, and are very proud to be muslim?

about hijab... also men can not wear like they want... there are also principles they have to regard...
this quetion was discused here once, if you want you can chec´k it out:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56811&page=2

about your second question I would advice you to read the book of Dr. Zakir Abdul Karim Naik with the title: "Answer to non-muslims´common questions about Islam" where he also talks about polygamy in Islam:

http://www.slideshare.net/abdul_lateef/answers-to-non-muslims-common-questions-about-islam-219066

you have to know we are the muslims are the ppl who "hear and obey" we follow islam cuz we believe in God and love Him also and trust in Him. we don´t doubt his mercy and justice and love for His slaves... plz check out this thread:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57700

hope it helps

revert2007

Love Fishing
10x for your reply. Just one, for e.g., a Muslim friend of mine gave me a book about Women in Islam. I loved the fact that Islam considers thier biological/anatomical nature into consideration for certain things. However, in the book, i come thru 2 points that i find very, very hard to accept:

1. Hijab: I read that they need to wear it, completely cover each flesh that a MALE may see. I didnt see a similar request from the guys. Whats that about really?

2. Marriage: It is allowed for a man to marry more than 1 women. Of course, he must support them all. Is it possible, however, for any man to love each woman equally? Are the women really happy or it is just an order they must accept?

There were more points...but i will stop here.

the answer for first question

it is wrong if u say a muslim woman must completely cover each flesh that a MALE may see.the prophet said a muslim woman should cover everything except HER 2PALMS AND HER FACE.

the answer for ur 2nd question
of course in islam it is SUNNAH to marry more than 1 wife till 4 wives.but it isnt an easy job as u think.u might think the man is having fun with many woman.but his responsibily is huge and he needs great iman to marry more than 1 wife.if he makes one of his wife jealous or not equally treated,he has commit sin and will be punished.dont look at ignorant rich muslim man marrying more than 1 but look at those very religious man who really follow the sunnah.if a man is vey religious insyaAllah he is rewarded with a very religious wife who understand situation and accepts things.Allah decides everything,not us.HE PLANS EVERYTHING not us.

Mujahideena

Peace

Women and men are not equal, because women and men are not the same. But there is equity between men and women in Islam.

Men are "supporters", "helpers" and maintainers of women, and this is their job. And women have their job: to obey your husband. Men should not however use this as a reason for abuse or just being mean or unfair. Men should treat their wives in the best manner.

I obey my husband and he is not unfair to me. If he asks me to do something I don't want to, I will just see that it is for my own good. He would never ask me to do ANYTHING which hurts me. Why? Because he is my husband. He loves me and I love him. He respects me and I respect him. It doesn't mean that when one obeys the husband, she is automaticly oppressed or abused.

Why do people make it such a big deal? Especially in the western countries. Come on. We ( westerns ) have the highest rates of divorce and abuse in the marriage. Who are we ( westerns ) to say one word to muslims who actually RESPECT each other?

I am western but I am also a muslim. This doesn't make me less muslim or less western. I am both. And I have got more freedom after becoming a muslim than ever before in my life.

Wasalaam,
Mujahida

miq1

Praise be to Allah (The Glorified and Exalted).

1) The religion of ISLAM is the religion of JUSTICE and this is what is emphasized throughout the Qur'an. Based on this, Islam does not regard men and women as equal in matters where regarding them as equal would result in injustice to one of them, because equality that is inappropriate is a severe form of injustice.

2) Allah (The Glorified and Exalted) has created separate roles for men and women to fulfill. He has given some rights to men which He has not given to women and vice versa.

3) When an individual wants to learn about a religion, first they learn who is God. After they accept the description of God, then they will gradually accept the rest of the religion.

See the following post: "Proving ISLAM"
http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40837&highlight=Proving+ISLAM

And Allah (The Glorified and Exalted) Knows Best.

zainali

welcome brother to this site , about ur questions , i'll try to answer them with allah's help inshallah.

about ur first question , u know in quran which is the holiest book in islam , is written something for men first b4 writting about hijab for women , it says that when ever u get bad feelings in ur mind , lower ur gaze , so when u see a women and u get some evil feelings in ur mind u should lower ur gaze what it does it eradicates that feeling , bro do it by ur self and u'll see the result inshallah .

and comming to ur second answer , islam says men can marry max four women , but one if and here there is a big if , if not marry only , islam is the only religion which says to marry one , y do u think allah says to marry more then once to men , see around u or search on the net and find out what is the ratio of men and women , its women on the greater side , if all women find one men for the life , there would be alot of women who cant find men , what they have to do , there are two options , either not marry or marry to some one who is already married , not marry is really difficult its something which everybody has to do some day , and if the women has to satisfy her sexual craving and she goes to a man what would she called " mistress " will it be fine , or being a wife of some who is already married living with him happily and second thing allah says if u want to marry u have to treat equally both , its difficult to treat equally , u might like one over the other , what allahs says is that u should love and care all of them no one should feel neglected if any one feels that , he will be asked on the day opf judgement .

Muslim-life

Always Alhamdulilah
[QUOTE1. Hijab: I read that they need to wear it, completely cover each flesh that a MALE may see. I didnt see a similar request from the guys. Whats that about really?[/QUOTE]

Peace.. :)

The others have already told a lot about what the Quran and Prophet (saw) said about your question-

But another thing is also the scientific theory about men and women's desires and it is said that men can have sexual desires just by the sight of a woman (that is why it says in the Holy Quran- "Lower your gaze" ), whereas women can only get them by touch! :S

We as muslims must trust the words of the almighty Allah which He had told us in the holy Quran- and believe that it is the truth :)

Hope it helps -:hijabi:

abulzan07

To the thread starter i give u logical reason why women shud cover and try this and tell me what is result

If you go on street naked do u think u wil get same attraction as a naked women get........second u knw whts the prob with people who ask sterotype question whch they get frm media you talk and knw bout women hijab and covering but u didnt try to findout same fr men if u go on quran the ayah before the covering fr women is ayah fr mens to cover and mens are told to have beard so tht womens are not attracted to dem

As you said why women should cover cos of fear of men i somehow agree with you but i giv u small example if a deer come in front of lion and shout on agreesive nature of lion what u think lion will do???? its same like fr men if any women who wear attractive or half naked dress comes in front of men it is like questioning his manhood and nature and man cnt control dem getting attracted cos we are made like this and if u see statistics a girl is raped in every three minutes in usa were is in muslim countries like saudi arab thr are nt even three rape in year if a piece of cloth safeguard a women than she shud do it like if u live in jungle u need to carry a gun to protect urslf so same as girl cos thr are so mny mans looking fr chance to take advantage ......i hope its clear you knw

Munawar

Striving for Paradise
Hello my friend iPanda,

The proof is right here.... right in front of your eyes...

Majority of the posters here who are answering your question are women. And these ladies love Islam very very much.

When people who don't know about Islam claim that Islam discriminates against women, they forget to ask this question to themselves that why so many women here are defending Islam. Why more than 60% of the converts are women, and these are well educated western women, mostly white but there are also blacks and hispanic women too and they all love Islam. WHY?

If Islam was such a horrible religion then why these women convert to Islam and love Islam so much and follow its commandments?

We men won't even have to answer your questions, these ladies will answer your questions till you run out of questions.

:wasalam:

zbhotto

Banned
Think twice, if still cofused, think more

The basic Principle of Sharia in Family ties is based on building a spritually healty family and society. So that a sound relation is build up between next genertion muslims and ALLAH (SWT).

Without a spritually healthy family Children cannot be rasied up in a GOD conscious manner. The Principle of a family is to raise children so that they become piety. That's why ALLAH (SWT) prescribed specific rules for man and woman. In fact they will achieve reward if they follow His rules. Wearing Hizab would not go in vien. Woman will recieve countless reward in the hearafter for wearing HIJAB.

All rules in Sharia is based on this principle. If you analyze deeply you will agree with all rules in ISLAM, I am sure.

kayleigh

I think the word "equal" is misused and gives people the wrong impression. I think a better word would be equitable.

The punishment and rewards are the same. Religiously speaking, men and women are the same - one is no inherently better than the other and both will be judged the same.

But their rights and responsibilities are different. For example, women have the right to not work if they wish, while men have the responsibility to work. Both sexes have the responsibility to cover, but the ways in which they must cover differ.

This is because men and women are, obviously, both mentally, emotionally, and physically different, and to apply the exact same rules and obligations would ultimately be unfair with unnecessary burdens on both sexes.

as for the two things you brought up...

a) Hijab - Men do cover, but differently. They don't have to cover as much because women aren't as physically driven, in general, as men are to what they see.

b) Polygamy - Most Muslims don't practice this, and probably most Muslim women would smack their husband if they considered it (I'm not joking lol). It has it's use in certain situations, which can be seen in Islamic history. It's not a rule put in place to oppress women or make life one big orgy for men or something like that.