what to do to ask forgiveness for a dead.

Prosperous

asthagfirullah
:salam2: brothers and sisters,
One of my classmates grandfather passedaway today.She is really very down because she is so far away from home and live alone here.since she and I are both muslims she called me for help.Her mother just now called and told he is being burried and they arrived home:girl3:.She was asking me what she can do to ask forgivness to her grandpa from Allah(swt).So I am really in need of any dua any supplication which can be read in this situation.pls be kind to provide me with any dua or any other thing asap.
I remember my mother used to recite qur'an for 40 days when my grandma passedaway, but as some said it is bid'a(innovation),we no longer do this.Can someone clarify this also in details pls.
thnkyou in advance.

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
:salam2:

Ukhti...

Here are some dua'as you can say for the deceased...

‘O Allaah, forgive and have mercy upon him, excuse him and pardon him, and make honorable his reception. Expand his entry, and cleanse him with water, snow, and ice, and purify him of sin as a white robe is purified of filth. Exchange his home for a better home, and his family for a better family, and his spouse for a better spouse. Admit him into the Garden, protect him from the punishment of the grave and the torment of the Fire.’

‘O Allaah, forgive our living and our dead, those present and those absent, our young and our old, our males and our females. O Allaah, whom amongst us You keep alive, then let such a life be upon Islaam, and whom amongst us You take unto Yourself, then let such a death be upon faith. O Allaah, do not deprive us of his reward and do not let us stray after him’.

‘O Allaah, so-and-so is under Your care and protection so protect him from the trial of the grave and torment of the Fire. Indeed You are faithful and truthful. Forgive and have mercy upon him, surely You are The Oft-Forgiving, The Most-Merciful’.

‘O Allaah, Your servant and the son of Your maidservant is in need of Your mercy and You are without need of his punishment. If he was righteous then increase his reward and if he was wicked then look over his sins.’

As far as I know...the only works which the "ajer" for reach the deceased are

1. The dua'a of upright sons/daughters.
2. An incessant work of charity (i.e. building a masjid..donate Qura'ans..build schools..monthly income for a poor family..etc.)
3. A deed/project which grants sound knowledge (i.e. a madrasa..a Qura'an memorization circle..Qura'ans given to a masjid..etc.)

regarding reading Qura'an for *40 days*...it is sounding like a bida'ah..as most acts of worship in Islam are not limited by a number of days or a number of times..very few things do..and regarding deeds for the deceased..I have not come across anything *authentic* of the sort you mentioned..so you might want to look into the matter..I tried to search it but I find anything *so far*..inshallah someone with better knowledge will benefit us both..as it would be a good thing to know :)

:wasalam:

fada_all

salam alikom

jazaka allah inshha allah khir brother may allah reward you a higher pakce in alajannah