Why do some ppl follow Qur'an and Sunnah and reject Hadith?

strive-may-i

As'alaamu Alaikkum

As a new revert and a lay person I find thid debate fascinating. I wonder if somebody could explain the following hadith? Does it say not to write down anything that the Prophet (pbuh) says?

Abu Sa'id Khudri reported that Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said:
Do not take down anything from me, and he who took down anything from me except the Qur'an, he should efface that and narrate from me, for there is no harm in it and he who attributed any falsehood to me-and Hammam said: I think he also said:" deliberately" -he should in fact find his abode in the Hell-Fire.
Muslim
English reference: Book 42, Hadith 7147
Arabic reference: Book 56, Hadith 7702

Look out for the efface meant erase same page... @ http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/22394

strive-may-i

The Authority of Sunnah - By Shaykh Mufti Taqi Usman

(A brief and comprehensive analysis of Sunnah as the second primary source of Islamic Law. Also removes doubts and misconceptions about the subject)

Seems to clearly cover most questions this thread has raised, with enough information, to dispell doubts.

From: http://www.islamicsearchcenter.com/library/hadith/Authority of Sunnah.pdf

Authority of Sunnah --Shaikh Mufti Taqi Taqi Usman

It is true that in the beginning the Holy Prophet had forbidden some of his companions from writing anything other than the verses of the Holy Qur'ân. However, this prohibition was not because the ahâdîth had no authoritative value, but because the Holy Prophet had in the same breath ordered them to narrate his ahâdîth orally. The full text of the relevant hadîth is as follows:

Do not write (what you hear) from me, and whoever has written something (he heard) from me, he should erase it. Narrate to others (what you hear) from me; and whoever deliberately attributes a lie to me, he should prepare his seat in the Fire." [Sahih Muslim]

The underlined phrase of the hadîth clarifies that prohibition for writing hadîth was not on account of negating its authority. The actual reason was that in the beginning of the revelation of the Holy Qur'ân, the companions of the Holy Prophet were not fully familiar with the Qur'ânic style, nor was the Holy Qur'ân compiled in a separate book form. In those days some companions began to write the ahâdîth along with the Qur'ânic text. Some explanations of the Holy Qur'ân given by the Holy Prophet were written by some of them mixed with the Qur'ânic verses without any distinction between the two. It was therefore feared that it would lead to confuse the Qur'ânic text with the ahâdîth.

It was in this background that the Holy Prophet stopped this practice and ordered that anything written other than the Holy Qur'ân should be rubbed or omitted. It should be kept in mind that in those days there was a great shortage of writing paper. Even the verses of the Holy Qur'ân used to be written on pieces of leather, on planks of wood, on animal bones and sometimes on stones. It was much difficult to compile all those things in a book form, and if the ahâdîth were also written in the like manner it would be more difficult to distinguish between the writings of the Holy Qur'ân and those of the ahâdîth. The lack of familiarity with the Qur'ânic style would also help creating confusion.

For these reasons the Holy Prophet directed his companions to abstain from writing the ahâdîth and to confine their preservation to the first three ways which were equally reliable as discussed earlier.

But all this was in the earlier period of his prophethood. When the companions became fully conversant of the style of the Holy Qur'ân and writing paper became available, this transitory measure of precaution was taken back, because the danger of confusion between the Qur'ân and the hadîth no longer existed.

At this stage, the Holy Prophet himself directed his companions to write down the ahâdîth. Some of his instructions in this respect are quoted below:

1. One companion from the Ansâr complained to the Holy Prophet that he hears from him some ahâdîth, but he sometimes forgets them. The Holy Prophet said:
"Seek help from your right hand," and pointed out to a writing. [Jâmi' Tirmidhi]

2. Râfi' ibn Khadij, the famous companion of the Holy Prophet says, "I said to the Holy Prophet [that] we hear from you many things, should we write them down?" He replied:
You may write. There is no harm. [Tadrîb-ur-Râwi]

3. Sayyiduna Anas reports that the Holy Prophet has said:
Preserve knowledge by writing. [Jâmi'-ul-Bayân]

4. Sayyiduna Abu Râfi' sought permission from the Holy Prophet to write ahâdîth. The Holy Prophet () permitted him to do so. [Jâmi' Tirmidhi]
It is reported that the ahâdîth written by Abu Râfi' were copied by other companions too. Salma, a pupil of Ibn 'Abbâs says:
I saw some small wooden boards with 'Abdullâh Ibn 'Abbâs. He was writing on them some reports of the acts of the Holy Prophet which he acquired from Abu Râfi'. [Tabaqât Ibn Sa'd]

5. 'Abdullâh ibn Amr ibn al-'Aass reports that the Holy Prophet said to him:
Preserve knowledge.

He asked, "and how should it be preserved?" The Holy Prophet replied, "by writing it." [Mustadrik Hâkim; Jâmi'-ul-Bayân]

In another report he says, "I came to the Holy Prophet and told him, 'I want to narrate your ahâdîth. So, I want to take assistance of my handwriting besides my heart. Do you deem it fit for me?' The Holy Prophet replied, 'If it is my hadîth you may seek help from your hand besides your heart." [Sunan Dârimi]

6. It was for this reason that he used to write ahâdîth frequently. He himself says,
I used to write whatever I heard from the Holy Prophet and wanted to learn it by heart. Some people of the Quraysh dissuaded me and said, "Do you write everything you hear from the Holy Prophet, while he is a human being and sometimes he may be in anger as any other human beings may be?" [Sunan Abu Dâwûd]

They meant that the Holy Prophet might say something in a state of anger which he did not seriously intend. So, one should be selective in writing his ahâdîth. 'Abdullâh ibn 'Amr conveyed their opinion to the Holy Prophet. In reply, the Holy Prophet pointed to his lips and said,

I swear by the One in whose hands is the soul of Muhammad: nothing comes out from these two (lips) except truth. So, do write. [Sunan Abu Dâwud; Tabaqât ibn Sa'd; Mustadrik-ul-Hâkim]

It was a clear and absolute order given by the Holy Prophet to write each and every saying of his without any hesitation or doubt about its authoritative nature.

In compliance to this order, 'Abdullâh ibn 'Amr wrote a large number of ahâdîth and compiled them in a book form which he named, "al-Sahîfah al-Sadîqah." Some details about this book shall be discussed later on, inshâ-Allâh

Last few Paragraph from the chapter in Authority Of Sunnah

Thus, a sahîh (sound) hadîth has been defined by the scholars as follows:
“What is reported, by a reporter who is honest and of good memory power, without any break in the chain of narrators, without any shudhûdh (rareness) and without any „illah (defect).

Conclusion
It is not possible for us to give all the details of the critical sciences developed by the scholars of hadîth. What we have stated in this chapter is only a simple example of the works undertaken by them. It can, however, help one to imagine the altitude of their academic and scientific efforts and to satisfy oneself that the task of “preservation of hadîth” has been performed by this ummah with such diligence, precaution, and sense of responsibility that one cannot find its parallel in the history of any other community. It was through these efforts that the divine promise of the preservation of the Holy Qur‟ân, with all its letters and meanings, was duly fulfilled

(Should mods find this objectionable, please delete.)

Attachments

• Authority of Sunnah-- Shaykh Mufti Taqi Usman.pdf
    459.9 KB · Views: 9
I

IslamIsSimple

It looks like qwel was banned today, what a shame. I've said it in another forum, when difficult questions are asked muslims today use 'brute force' instead of debating and arguing for their case. It's easy to ban people who do not conform to or way of thinking, one should always hear from the other side even satan inspired atheists. I do not buy that argument that they will turn people away from their religion because if the faith is strong in the first place then nothing should deviate one from the True Path of Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala.

I dont think theres anything "difficult" about them, rather the contrary, as its just playing with words by non Muslim supporters of "prophet" Rashad Khalifa. Yes we should hear from everyone, but there are places for that. It doesnt mean give anyone a free platform to propagate whatever they want.

Theres nutcases claiming to be Al Mahdi, prophets, and so on, it doesnt mean each one of them or their followers should be taken seriously and have time wasted on. This is especially in forums like ones named "turntoislam" with many new Muslims or even non Muslims interested in Islam but dont know much about many basic things. They'd just be confused and wouldnt know whos who and the context of everything.

If its real indepth discussion is whats desired, theres forums for that. And in those forums, theres many learned people to discuss with, and the audience - even if not knowledgable- are people that know enough to be interested in the topic.

So I agree with your premises you mentioned, but think to apply them properly, theres other variables that should be taken into account, too.

Shias in particular, (and some Sufis) remind me of this verse.. in Surat Al Imran..

"It is He who has sent down to you, [O Muhammad], the Book; in it are verses [that are] precise - they are the foundation of the Book - and others unspecific. As for those in whose hearts is deviation [from truth], they will follow that of it which is unspecific, seeking discord (fitnah) and seeking an interpretation [suitable to them]."

This is why, when faced with Sunnah, and the pure understanding of early Muslims (which is only logical to follow), they become lost.

I

IslamIsSimple

(A brief and comprehensive analysis of Sunnah as the second primary source of Islamic Law. Also removes doubts and misconceptions about the subject)

Seems to clearly cover most questions this thread has raised, with enough information, to dispell doubts.

From: http://www.islamicsearchcenter.com/library/hadith/Authority of Sunnah.pdf

(Should mods find this objectionable, please delete.)

I dont know this book, but theres a great one called "The Authority of the Sunnah" the author I think is an American sheikh but not sure. His name is Jamaal Zarabozo. The thoughts in it are very organized.