why "moderate muslims" explain Islam?

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
:salam2:,

i recently watched a show on NDTV about Islam's image. the hosts were Zakir naik, Maulana Mehmood Madni, shahrukh khan, soha khan, etc.

though Zakir Naik and Madani were most knowledgable there, but they were hardly taked to. all the Islam was taken frm those who might not even know about 6 articles of faith, books of hadith, sharia law .

the media takes the information about medicine, economics, sports frm the most knowledgeable people in these fields. but when it comes to Islam, frm the muslims who know the least about Islam. why? do actors, producers really deserve to speak about Islam?

for the media and the world, if you dont pray, drink alcohol, take interest and listen to music...you are moderate muslim. if not, you are fundamentalist.

*but whts bad in being a fundamentalist?...its good that you are following the fundamentals of Islam.:)

zainali

assalamualikum
bro ahmed this whole show was made to make the youngsters feel that yes we can be a muslim yet still we can be a modern , it was to make youngsters feel that yes shahruk is a muslim , u must have seen that there wasnt much chance given to zakir naik and madanee . instead shahruk and that vc of jamia islamia were given chance to speak , to make youngsters feel that see here we have to knowledgeable people but yet islam is spoken by this so called modern people like shahruk and so on , this whole show was a conspiracy ,

there is nothing like modern islam , there is nothing like we are muslims but we dont practice islam , there is nothing like we are muslims but we'll do what islam has prohibited us from doing , this is not modern islam ,

we are muslim who follow quran and hadith .

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
:salam2:

I believe the actor Shah rukh actually once mentioned that he didn't believe in any God. So that makes him an atheist ? I wonder what he has to do with Islam anyway..

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

believers_path

I believe the actor Shah rukh actually once mentioned that he didn't believe in any God. So that makes him an atheist ? I wonder what he has to do with Islam anyway..

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

even i heared that, He had said" i m a nasthic(an atheist) and i dont believe in any God!................:angryblue: then how come he said, in this show that" i m not practicing muslim but Allah is always there in my heart!!!!!:eek::eek::mad:

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
As Salamu 'Alaykum,

As usual, Brother Ayman has explained it beautifully. When the Protestants began to protest against the Roman Catholic Church many were referred to as Lutherans, gradually groups within the Lutherans broke away and formed the various denominations such as Methodist, Presbyterian, United Church of Christ, etc. A few of these denominations tried to get back (the optimum word being tried) to the fundamental teachings. Usually when a Western Mind hears the word fundamentalist either Baptists or Pentecostal comes to their mind. Fundamentalists teach that they have the "Truth" and all others are doomed to hell.

Consequently, the word fundamentalist is often used to refer to a cultist attitude of exclusivity which see the world as us and them.

Like Brother Ayman said in other words: If there is only one way to salvation than it is important to do what you can to be on that narrow way; however, you want to lead others on to it and not drive them into the wide road that leads to destruction with an attitude of "I am RIGHT and you are Wrong." Bumper Stickers captured the concept in the expression ; "I'm Right, Go to Hell."

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Moderate is a political term. Islam is beyond simple politics. The term moderate became popular post 911 specifically as a result of the infamous Rand report.
The religion of Allah has to be tolerant. That is a no brainer.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Salaamalaykum

According to Merriam Webster,

fun-da-men-tal- ism - : (2) a movement or attitude stressing strict and literal adherence to a set of basic principles. <Islamic fundamentalism> <political fundamentalism>

naz haider

Shah Rukh Khan is not a Muslim. Period.
And for the matter, even Soha Ali Khan is not.
What is the parameter of judging a muslim??? It's simple... one who practices Islam, the one taught by Quraan and our beloved Prophet SAW... and both these Khans fail at that. Having a muslim name is not enough.
Shar Rukh's two kids believe in a unique god which they call 'Ganpati Allah' (Wallahi)... someone who associates Allah with any other diety cannot be a muslim and is definitely not qualified to have a debate about Islam...
I hope the youngsters in India do not get carried away... as he is a BIG star here, and we don't see a new and unique Islam (which of cz will be bidaah)

FreedomFighter

:wasalam:

This all just looks like a show to keep their popularity. A lot of young Muslims watch these Bollywood movies, just imagine if Shahrukh Khan said something bad about our prophet (pbuh) or said he didn't believe in God, they will lose big time. A significant amount of their audience will be lost. But we Muslims shouldn't give popularity to such movies in the first place. If they had let Zakir Naik speak, he would have said something about real Islam, and disprove these 'moderate' Muslims, surely that would turn a lot of the audience away. Allahu a'lam, did they just bring Zakir Naik and Madani just to seem like Muslims? Just so the Muslims can say, MashaAllah, Shahrukh Khan, Soha Khan, and these Bollywood stars, are with Muslims like Zakir Naik. And they will think maybe these Bollywood stars are really Muslims after all.

If first they said I don't believe in God, and then in this show they say I believe in God, it just seems like they have an agenda, they don't want to lose all their Muslim audience. I recall an article I came across, where the media had supposedly mistaken Shahrukh Khan for saying something bad about our prophet (pbuh). It became a huge issue, and the Muslims were obviously angry that one of their fav starts said such a thing. It was a mistake by the media, they said. Well this incident did have some kind of impact, Allahu a'lam, this show may just be one of their ways to regain their popularity among the Muslim youth.

Abu Talib

Feeling low

The show was just like a future damage control exercise for Shahrukh to conclude he is a Muslim.
He has said earlier many times that an actor does not have a religion, on the show he openly said he does not pray 5 times and he does not know much about Islam. And they said him to stand for the Muslims to voice there concern how can a person who openly admits he does not know much about Islam stand out for the Muslim masses? Hilarious

I have been getting all these terms from my friends called ''Modern"" muslims it usually implies those who do not observe the veil or hijab, who mingle with opposite sexes and do not follow the fundamentals of Islam which segregates Islam from other religions.

I loved how Dr. Zakir Naik refuted Shahrukh saying there is nothing called Modern Muslim either your a practicing or not practicing Muslim.

UmmOf3

Trust me, it could have been worse.

Here in Norway, its not even "moderate muslims" who talk for muslims in media, but murtads and kafirs. Not always, but the practicing muslims just get laughed at.

AZAM_SIDDIQUI

but there is a positive aspect to it........

that is the FACT that ISLAM cant be ignored...
to be or not to be a muslim is the burning question of humanity ...

and it is HERE THAT WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE INSHALLAH.

it is the ordinary and poor pl who are the backbone of a religion not the popular and the rich

weakslave

That's not what the word fundamentalist means. The word means the belief that the person is right and all others are wrong. This misunderstanding is the basis for much of the confusion. The word originated in the West and Muslims misunderstood it.

While Muslims believe they are right and others are wrong, they are not to act it! The Quran clearly teaches us to be tolerant of other views, for only God can judge between people about that in which they dispute. We are instructed to call to the way of our Lord with wisdom and good preaching and argue with them in the most beautiful manner but never to impose our views on them, even as we know they are the correct views. Fundamentalism does not observe this command. Fundamentalists put down opposing views and have no room for discussion.

The majority of the people in the West refer to a practicing Muslim who is keeping his duty to Allaah a fundamentalist. Stop any non-Muslim on the street and ask them: what is your understanding of the word "Muslim Fundamentalist". They will tell you "A muslim who follows the Quran/their religion to the letter".

The word has one meaning, as outlined above by BrotherInIslam7, but it is used by many to imply another meaning. Anyone who uses the word without subtext is being ignorant. He would not any different from those who call the followers of the Sunnah "wahaabis".

As for the show itself, it is best not to make mention of it. The media today is the tool of the devil, never expect or assume any good will come from it.

Sakeena

I don't understand. Someone needs to step in and tell the Muslim youth about what it means to be a true Muslim and not a liar and actor inshallah. Why should we let our youth admire these actors who are not Muslim at all but simply lie about it for popularity from the Muslim community? We're the ones who are being fooled here, because we see no problem with it. :girl3: it's so disappointing subhanallah.

:tti_sister: May Allah protect the Muslims from shirk and evil ameen!!

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

In popular American culture a fundamentalist is a person who adheres to the principals of faith. Many Christians who are fundamentalists are some of the warmest most considerate human beings I have met. In times of need they show neighborly love. They accept the fact that we are different from them but they work with us. They share. They lend a hand. In a sense they are good and true Believers.

I am also of the firm belief that I will not be labeled by anyone as to my faith system. It is mine. And fifteen minutes of fame on a tv show is just that..these people who appeared on the show..let it be.

We have important issues to discuss..such as who are the leaders of the youth that are role models. Muslim youths living in the US are in desperate need of activities that are Islamically sound. We have little or no organizations to help us centralize the issues that are endemic to Western Muslims.