Worried: no salah = no muslim: really?

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
:salam2:,

a brother shared a fatwa that those who dont pray are not muslims.

1. does it mean that they will never enter paradise even though they believe in shahada, fast and do hajj?

2. does it mean that majority of muslims are not muslims? :astag: (as mostly dont pray 5 times a day)?

3. is this not takfir? (labeling muslims as kafir)

4. does it mean that we should not say salaam or eat the meat by muslims who dont pray?

:confused: :(

HIBBA2009

Daughter of Adam
Not praying causes all kinds of distress and anxiety

Allaah says:

“Allaah intends for you ease, and He does not want to make things difficult for you”

[al-Baqarah 2:185]

“Allaah wishes to make clear (what is lawful and what is unlawful) to you, and to show you the ways of those before you, and accept your repentance, and Allaah is All‑Knower, All‑Wise.

27. Allaah wishes to accept your repentance, but those who follow their lusts, wish that you (believers) should deviate tremendously away (from the Right Path).

28. Allaah wishes to lighten (the burden) for you; and man was created weak”

[al-Nisa’ 4:26-28]

Prayer is a mercy that Allaah has enjoined upon us by His bounty and kindness. The one who adheres to it and prays regularly and properly will see the bounty of Allaah to us which He has decreed for us and will understand that the one who is truly deprived is the one who deprives himself of the joy of contact with Allaah, may He be exalted.

It was narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“Prayer is the best of prescribed things, so the one who is able to do a lot of it, let him do a lot of it.”

Narrated by al-Tabaraani (1/84); classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Targheeb (390).

See what Allaah says after the verses in which He enjoined purification for prayer (interpretation of the meaning):

“Allaah does not want to place you in difficulty, but He wants to purify you, and to complete His Favour to you that you may be thankful”

[al-Maa'idah 5:6]

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), whom you love and whose Seerah you love, says: “My delight has been made in prayer.” Narrated by al-Nasaa’i (3940); classed as hasan by al-Haafiz ibn Hajar in al-Talkhees al-Habeer (3/116) and classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Nasaa’i.

How can the believer agree to miss out on this goodness and these blessings?

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

Alas! How can a person spend his time and live his life deprived of smelling this fragrance, and leave this world as he entered it without having tasted the best that it has to offer, and having lived in it like a dumb animal, departing from it like one who is bankrupt. He lived a life of helplessness, he died a death of sadness and his resurrection will be loss and regret. O Allaah, to You be praise, to You we complain, You are the One Whose help we seek, You we ask for aid, in You we put our trust, and there is no power and no strength except with You.

Tareeq al-Hijratayn (p. 327).

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Yes I have read this an there are various fatwas to support it. And there exists a difference of opinion also.

If a person does not pray at all then that puts him outside of Islam.

And to call them kafir is supported by the hadith which mentions ''The difference between belief and disbelief is salah.

HIBBA2009

Daughter of Adam
:salam2:,

2. does it mean that majority of muslims are not muslims? :astag: (as mostly dont pray 5 times a day)?

:confused: :(

Why do we pray five times each day?
Question

I read in the Qur’aan that a man should pray three times: before sunrise, after sunset and in the middle of the day. So why do we pray five times? I hope that you will not give me the story that 50,000 prayers were enjoined then it was reduced to five. I want a convincing answer.

Praise be to Allaah.

1 – What is mentioned in the question about the number of prayers is mistaken. It was 50 then it was altered to 5 prayers, a favour from the Lord of the Worlds to the Muslims.

2 – The rules of sharee’ah may be divided into two categories: those which may be understood on a rational basis; and those which are purely worship, the wisdom behind which is concealed from us and is not mentioned in either the Qur’aan or the Sunnah.

Examples of the first include: the prohibition on alcohol and gambling. Allaah has told us the reason why they are forbidden, which is:

“Shaytaan (Satan) wants only to excite enmity and hatred between you with intoxicants (alcoholic drinks) and gambling, and hinder you from the remembrance of Allaah and from As‑Salaah (the prayer). So, will you not then abstain?”

[al-Maa'idah 5:91]

And there are other similar rulings.

Examples of the second kind include offering Zuhr prayer when the sun has passed its zenith, circumambulating the Ka’bah with it on one's left (i.e., anticlockwise), the nisaab of gold being a quarter of ten percent; Maghrib prayer being three rak’ahs, and many other such rulings.

What is mentioned in the question falls into this second category, which is things for which we do not know the reason from the Qur’aan or Sunnah, so we have to submit to the command of Allaah. This applies to all such rulings.

The Muslim has to accept the things for which Allaah has not explained the reason, and say as the believers say: “We hear and we obey.” He should not be like the Children of Israel who said: “We hear but we disobey.”

Accepting what Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “He [Allaah] cannot be questioned as to what He does, while they will be questioned” [al-Anbiya’ 21:23] is better for the believer in his religious and worldly affairs, for he is a slave who has a Lord, and the slave has no right to ask his Lord why He enjoined something. Rather he has to submit to His command. If he tells us why, we should do it, and if He does not tell us why, we should still do it.

3 – In al-Mawsoo’ah al-Fiqhiyyah al-Kuwaitiyyah (1/49-51) there is a useful discussion which we will quote here:

With regard to understanding the reasons why things have been prescribed, we may divide the issues of fiqh into two categories:

1 – Rulings whose wisdom may be understood on a rational basis, either because the reason is stated in the texts, or because it is easy to work out.

Such rulings are the majority of those that Allaah has prescribed, such as enjoining prayer, zakaah, fasting and Hajj in general, and such as enjoining the mahr (dowry) in marriage, ‘iddah (waiting period) following divorce or widowhood, spending on one’s wife, children and relatives, divorce when married life becomes unbearable, and many other such issues of fiqh.

2 – Ruling which are enjoined on us as a kind of pure worship. These are rulings in which the connection between the ruling and the action is not clear, such as the number of prayers, the number of rak’ahs and most of the actions of Hajj. By the mercy of Allaah, such rulings are few in relation to the rulings the wisdom behind which may be rationally understood. These rulings are prescribed as a test to demonstrate whether a person is a true believer. It should also be noted that sharee’ah – both general principles and minor details – does not prescribe anything that contradict common sense, but it may prescribe something the reason for which cannot be understood. There is a big difference between the two. If a person is rationally convinced that Allaah exists and that He is wise, and that He alone deserves to be acknowledged as Lord, and he is rationally convinced that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is a true Prophet, then he affirms that Allaah is the Sovereign and the Lord, and that he is His slave. Then if he is commanded to do something or is forbidden to do something, and he then says, “I will not follow this ruling until I know the reason behind this command or prohibition,” then he has proven himself to be false in his claim to be a believer in Allaah and His Messenger. The human mind has a limit beyond which it cannot go.

The one who rebels against the rulings of Allaah that have to do with rituals is like a sick person who goes to a trustworthy doctor who prescribes various kinds of medicine for him, some to be taken before eating, some to be taken during the meal and some to be taken afterwards, in various amounts, and he says to the doctor: I will not take your medicine until you explain to me the reason why this one should be taken before eating and this one afterwards, and this one during the meal, and why are they are varying amounts, some small and some big? Does this patient really trust his doctor? The same may be said of a person who claims to believe in Allaah and His Messenger, then he rebels against the rulings the wisdom behind which he does not understand. The true believer, if he is commanded to something or forbidden to do something, says, “I hear and I obey,” especially when we have explained that there are no rulings that can be rejected on the basis of reason. Not knowing something does not indicate that it is not true. How many rulings are there, the reason for which has been concealed from us in the past, then we discovered that there is great wisdom behind them? The reason why pork is forbidden was unknown to many people, then we found out that it carries germs and disease and other bad things, and Allaah wanted to protect the Muslim society against them. The same may be said concerning the command to wash vessels that have been licked by a dog seven times, one of which should be with earth… and other rulings the wisdom behind which may be discovered one day even though it is hidden from us now.

And Allaah knows best.
Islam Q&A

Source: Why do we pray five times each day?

zulqernan

no ...

by mixing different hadiths we can easily make Halal to harram and harram to hallal ...

once a man declared that ALLAH is one and Muhammed (SAW) is the last and FINAL MESSENGER of ALLAH then he is a MUSLIM ...

I can easily CONVERT by the FATVA a muslim to a NON MUSLIM and also EASILY give many AYATS from the QURAN of O.R.I.G.I.N.O.L...nonmuslims and manupilate + imply on the ORIGINOL muslims who dont PRAY ??

that

1 .. FINISH RELITIONSHIP
2 .. and you knew more then me that what QURAN says about the originol nonmuslims or KAFIRS ???

oka ...

zulqernan

ASSALAM O ALIKUM ...

please reply small answer because no1 beside some people have too much time to read all of your answer ..

THANKYOU ...

Abu Talib

Feeling low
no ...

by mixing different hadiths we can easily make Halal to harram and harram to hallal ...

once a man declared that ALLAH is one and Muhammed (SAW) is the last and FINAL MESSENGER of ALLAH then he is a MUSLIM ...

I can easily CONVERT by the FATVA a muslim to a NON MUSLIM and also EASILY give many AYATS from the QURAN of O.R.I.G.I.N.O.L...nonmuslims and manupilate + imply on the ORIGINOL muslims who dont PRAY ??

that

1 .. FINISH RELITIONSHIP
2 .. and you knew more then me that what QURAN says about the originol nonmuslims or KAFIRS ???

oka ...

I have no idea what your talking about.

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
Not praying causes all kinds of distress and anxiety

jazaak Allah khair for the article. but i think u did not understand my question properly.

i mean if i have few relatives who dont take salah seriously, are they really not muslims?

but they beleive in Allah and Last Day. and also that salah is pillar of Islam. wht about that?

Abu Talib

Feeling low
jazaak Allah khair for the article. but i think u did not understand my question properly.

i mean if i have few relatives who dont take salah seriously, are they really not muslims?

but they beleive in Allah and Last Day. and also that salah is pillar of Islam. wht about that?

Respected Sheikh,my question is, a person's relative is not performing his/her prayers(Salah),therfore he/she has left the fold of Islaam.Is it permissable to greet them? Or should they be completely ignored

Praise be to Allaah.

Not performing one’s prayers is a dereliction of the most important duty among the pillars of Islam. Prayer is the pillar and cornerstone of the faith, and it is not permissible under any circumstances to be lenient towards the one who is not praying. First of all his family should advise and enjoin him to pray, then they should boycott him and turn away from him, and not greet him with salaam, or eat with him or sit with him, in order to point out to him the seriousness of sin, so that he will come back to Allaah and repent. The opinions of the scholars with regard to the one who does not pray may be summed up under the following two headings:

1. The opinion that the one who does not pray is a kaafir, which is the opinion narrated from ‘Umar, ‘Ali and Ibn Mas’ood (may Allaah be pleased with them). It was also the opinion of al-Hasan, al-Sha’bi, al-Oozaa’i, Ibn al-Mubaarak and Muhammad ibn al-Hasan; it was also reported from Ahmad, and is indicated by the hadeeth of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), “All that stands between a person and kufr is his not praying.” (Reported by Muslim, Ahmad, Abu Dawood and Ibn Maajah).

2. The opinion that the one who does not pray is not a kaafir. This is the opinion of Abu Haneefah, Maalik, and al-Shaafa'i, and is indicated by the hadeeth of ‘Ubaadah ibn al-Saamit, who reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There are five prayers which Allaah has prescribed for His slave during the day and night, whoever does them and does not wilfully neglect them, Allaah will be bound to grant him admittance to Paradise. Whoever does not do them will have no such guarantee; if He wills, He will punish him and if He wills, He will grant him admittance to Paradise.” (Reported by al-Daarimi, 1531; Maalik, al-Muwatta’, 248; Ahmad, 21690).

However, according to both opinions, if a person insists on not praying, he should be asked three times to repent, and if he refuses, then his fate will be execution.
Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Salem9022

Eman(Faith) is comprised of three parts: (1) belief in the heart (i’tiqad), (2) affirmation by the tongue (qawl), and (3) Actions of the Limbs (amal).

If you don't pray your 5 Daily Obligatory prayers how can you be called a Muslim? Salah is what differentiates a Muslim from a Kaffir(Non-Muslim)

arzafar

in simple words:

will muslims who dont pray live in hell forever?

as you tell that its kufr.
If Allah wills they will.
im sure they will burn in hell if they dont repent sincerely.
however, we cant say that a particular person will go to hell simply because he may repent later on in his life and become better than us.

however, abandoning prayer = kufr.
what's a difference between 1. a jew, 2. a christian and 3. a person who has abandoned salah? all three believe in God, none of them do salah. we know for sure that 1 and 2 will live in hell if they dont repent so why is 3 any special?

Abu Talib

Feeling low
If Allah wills they will.
im sure they will burn in hell if they dont repent sincerely.
however, we cant say that a particular person will go to hell simply because he may repent later on in his life and become better than us.

however, abandoning prayer = kufr.
what's a difference between 1. a jew, 2. a christian and 3. a person who has abandoned salah? all three believe in God, none of them do salah. we know for sure that 1 and 2 will live in hell if they dont repent so why is 3 any special?

I agree with you.
Also the first thing they would be asked on the day of Judgement would be about prayers.

It was narrated from Abu Hurayrah that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The first thing among their deeds for which the people will be brought to account on the Day of Resurrection will be prayer. Our Lord will say to His angels, although He knows best, ‘Look at My slave’s prayer, is it complete or lacking?’ If it is complete, it will be recorded as complete, but if it is lacking, He will say, ‘Look and see whether my slave did any voluntary (naafil) prayers.’ If he had done voluntary prayers, He will say, ‘Complete the obligatory prayers of My slave from his voluntary prayers.’ Then the rest of his deeds will be examined in a similar manner.”

(Narrated by Abu Dawood, 864; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood, 770).

hana*

in simple words:

will muslims who dont pray live in hell forever?

as you tell that its kufr.

no brother, ALL muslims will eventually be removed from hell fire (if they enter in the first place on account of their bad deeds, not praying etc) and submitted into paradise.

those of us who do not do their prayers in this life, will have to do them in hell-fire and the first thing that EVERY muslim will be held to account for is the prayer.

saying that, there are numerous hadeeth to show that the Muslims who entered Jahhanum (hell) as a result of their shortcomings or sins, will, within time (perhaps a very long time), be removed from hell (after they have become reduced to charcoal) and submitted into Paradise, to live along with the others.

I do not have the time to look up hadeeth just now, but when you have the chance, im sure you will find authentic hadeeth to support the above

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
no brother, ALL muslims will eventually be removed from hell fire (if they enter in the first place on account of their bad deeds, not praying etc) and submitted into paradise.

those of us who do not do their prayers in this life, will have to do them in hell-fire and the first thing that EVERY muslim will be held to account for is the prayer.

saying that, there are numerous hadeeth to show that the Muslims who entered Jahhanum (hell) as a result of their shortcomings or sins, will, within time (perhaps a very long time), be removed from hell (after they have become reduced to charcoal) and submitted into Paradise, to live along with the others.

I do not have the time to look up hadeeth just now, but when you have the chance, im sure you will find authentic hadeeth to support the above

jazaak Allah khairan sister.

i am trying to understand two things properly:

1. a person who has even a little faith will enter paradise.

2. person who leaves salah is kafir.

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
1. a person who has even a little faith will enter paradise.

2. person who leaves salah is kafir.

To figure out number 1..I think number 2 should be clarified akhi..you're asking about those who leave salah..but you did not *specify*..are they leaving it in that they are *inconsistent*..or *lazy* in regards to performing it?..or are they leaving it because they believe it is *not a fardh* to pray?..in other words..they believe they *don't need* to pray?

Because for each situation..the verdict would differ..and in each situation there are consequences which are specific to it...so perhaps *specifying* would help in finding the answer?!

Also..having faith as the "back up plan" to enter paradise is putting one's self in the ocean of *extreme generality*..yes..the concept exists in Islam..*but*..we have the principle of *Fardho Al-'Ayn*..and whatever this principle contains we *must* perform in order for us to fulfill Allah's Order and possess *correct* and most importantly *complete* faith..

:wasalam:

weakslave

:salam2:

Jazaaka Allaahu Khairan Abu Talib, you mentioned a few of the significant ahaadeeth in the matter.

To understand the importance of Salaah is to understand how the Prophet :saw: understood Salaah.

Every good deed was prescribed through a messenger (Jibreel alihi Assalaam), except As-Salaah. As-Salaah was prescribed from above the seven heavens, where the Prophet :saw: went closer to Allaah Subhanahu wa Ta3laa than anything has ever gone. Even Jibreel was not permitted inside that area. This is where As-Salaah was made an obligation upon every muslim man and woman from then until the end of time.

Anyone who misses a single prayer in his life should prepare for great punishment should Allaah not forgive them.

Do you understand the significance of As-Salaah?

The Prophet :saw: on his death bed said: "As-Salaah, As-Salaah, As-Salaah". When he was dying, he wanted the Ummaah to know, this is what he cared about the most, and this is what he :saw: wants us to care about the most

The Prophet :saw: would have ordered the homes of the men who neglect coming to the masjid to pray in congregation with the other muslims that they be burned. This is how serious praying in congregation is, so what about missing the prayer altogether?

The story of the companion who missed one prayer in congregation. He said he had a dream the next day that he was on a riding animal among many of the rightous, they had all overtaken him and he was left behind. From missing one prayer in congregation.

As sister hana said, Allaah has guaranteed the one who believes in Him and does not associate partners with Him is guaranteed to not spend eternity in the Hellfire. But you must understand this statement carefully:

- If you neglect your Salaah, Allaah can cause your heart to go astray before your passing, and cause you to fall into disbelief for disobeying Him and insisting upon it. Who has the will to stop that from happening? No one can stop Allaah's punishment, and no one can guarantee that they will die upon belief.

- Let us you scrape by, and end up dying as a believer having missed your prayers. Eternity is a long time, but how long do you think 1 year is? 10 years? 100 years? 1,000,000 years? All of these numbers are seemingly insignificant when compared to eternity, but who wants to be punished for that long? Who wants to suffer and have a miserable 1000 years in Hellfire? I challenge you to find a piece of coal that is bright red, and hold it in your hand for just 3 seconds. Tell me what you think is going to happen to your hand.

The lightest punishment in the hellfire is a type of shoes worn by its inhabitants. It produces such immense heat that it would cause the brain inside your head to boil. This is the lightest punishment you will find in the hellfire.

Do not belittle the matter of going to the hellfire, as it were just a pitstop. Allaah will take a person on the day of Judgment who never felt a moments disease in the worldly life, and he will place him in the hellfire for a split second, and the man will come out saying "Oh Allaah, I have never ever felt a single moments comfort in my life".

The opinion of some scholars is even if you leave the salaah out of neglect and laziness, and not outright denial you are considered a kaafir. This is not the majority opinion, but assume they were right. Are you willing to take that risk.

I ask Allaah Subhanah to make us from the believers and not those who belittle the hellfire and His punishment, and those who are stead fast and regular in their prayers.

And Allaah knows best.

hana*

- If you neglect your Salaah, Allaah can cause your heart to go astray before your passing, and cause you to fall into disbelief for disobeying Him and insisting upon it. Who has the will to stop that from happening? No one can stop Allaah's punishment, and no one can guarantee that they will die upon belief.

.[/QUOTE]

this statement really affected me, shookran. it is so true, and yet i always think we can not guarantee our next steps nor our fate or future, what if we die in a state of kufr? Allah save us. that thought petrifies me.

weakslave

this statement really affected me, shookran. it is so true, and yet i always think we can not guarantee our next steps nor our fate or future, what if we die in a state of kufr? Allah save us. that thought petrifies me.

My dear sister, that is precisely how a Muslim should think. We need to be fearful and mindful of Allaah's punishment and only then can Allaah shower us with His mercy and forgive us all our sins.

Allaah's love for His slave is so great, yet so few of us realize it. Look at what Allaah said in a haadith Qudsi to the Prophet :saw:

O son of Adam, so long as you call upon Me and ask of Me, I shall forgive you for what you have done, and I shall not mind. O son of Adam, were your sins to reach the clouds of the sky and were you then to ask forgiveness of Me, I would forgive you and I would not mind. O son of Adam, were you to come to Me with sins nearly as great as the earth and were you then to face Me, ascribing no partner to Me, I would bring you forgiveness nearly as great as it.

The Prophet said, "Allah says: 'I am just as My slave thinks I am, (i.e. I am able to do for him what he thinks I can do for him) and I am with him if He remembers Me. If he remembers Me in himself, I too, remember him in Myself; and if he remembers Me in a group of people, I remember him in a group that is better than they; and if he comes one span nearer to Me, I go one cubit nearer to him; and if he comes one cubit nearer to Me, I go a distance of two outstretched arms nearer to him; and if he comes to Me walking, I go to him running.' "

All that Allaah asks of us is to keep His duty to Him and not attribute partners with Him.

Look at this beautiful verse from the Quraan:

مَثَلُ الْجَنَّةِ الَّتِي وُعِدَ الْمُتَّقُونَ فِيهَا أَنْهَارٌ مِّن مَّاء غَيْرِ آسِنٍ وَأَنْهَارٌ مِن لَّبَنٍ لَّمْ يَتَغَيَّرْ طَعْمُهُ وَأَنْهَارٌ مِّنْ خَمْرٍ لَّذَّةٍ لِّلشَّارِبِينَ وَأَنْهَارٌ مِّنْ عَسَلٍ مُّصَفًّى وَلَهُمْ فِيهَا مِن كُلِّ الثَّمَرَاتِ وَمَغْفِرَةٌ مِّن رَّبِّهِمْ كَمَنْ هُوَ خَالِدٌ فِي النَّارِ وَسُقُوا مَاء حَمِيمًا فَقَطَّعَ أَمْعَاءهُمْ

Is the description of Paradise, which the righteous are promised, wherein are rivers of water unaltered, rivers of milk the taste of which never changes, rivers of wine delicious to those who drink, and rivers of purified honey, in which they will have from all [kinds of] fruits and forgiveness from their Lord, like [that of] those who abide eternally in the Fire and are given to drink scalding water that will sever their intestines?

The state of the believer on the day, and the state of the disbeliever. A contrast so powerful it alone should help us understand.

The verses I wanted to leave us with:

Beginning of Suratul Ankaboot

Alif, Lam, Meem

Do the people think that they will be left to say, "We believe" and they will not be tried?

But We have certainly tried those before them, and Allah will surely make evident those who are truthful, and He will surely make evident the liars.

Or do those who do evil deeds think they can outrun Us? Evil is what they judge.

Whoever should hope for the meeting with Allah - indeed, the term decreed by Allah is coming. And He is the Hearing, the Knowing.

And whoever strives only strives for [the benefit of] himself. Indeed, Allah is free from need of the worlds.

And those who believe and do righteous deeds - We will surely remove from them their misdeeds and will surely reward them according to the best of what they used to do.

http://islam.thetruecall.com/modules.php?name=Quran&func=srel&selChapter=29&at[]=999&at[]=5 - visit here for arabic verses.