21,915 Black Balloons Over Jerusalem

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Karin, MUNICH - AND A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING

balloons.jpg

May 5, 2008

To celebrate 60 years of independence, Israel is planning a large-scale birthday bash with events taking place in many different countries around the world. In Jerusalem, a 3-day conference, under the title "Facing Tomorrow" is planned from May 13 – 15, to which many world leaders, such as U.S. President Bush, and French President Sarkozy, and celebrities such as Barbara Streisand and Steven Spielberg have been invited and plan to attend.

(BTW ... many canceled - Barbara Streisand was among them! As a known supporter of Israeli causes in previous years, her cancellation was the most notable.)

It is wrong to celebrate and we need to do something BIG to make the world, and those gathered to celebrate Israel, see and hear us. We* have this idea and we need your help to make it happen! On May 15, we will launch 21,915 (365 days x 60 years) black balloons over the skies of Jerusalem. We aim to turn the skies over Israel’s celebrations black to let people know that there is another side of the story, a side of heartache, suffering and dispossession. At the same time, each balloon will carry a letter from a Palestinian child expressing his/her hope for the future, to let the world know that we believe in and dream of justice.

Other things that you can do:

1 - On May 15, we are asking everyone, wherever he or she is, to wear black. PLEASE WEAR BLACK!

2 - WRITE LETTERS, or help collect letters from Palestinian children. You can email us the letters and we will print them out and attach to the balloons that we will launch;

3 - If you are in Palestine, volunteer to help us inflate and LAUNCH the balloons on May 15;
Wherever you are, consider doing an action in SOLIDARITY with our action (in addition to whatever else you may be planning). For example, you can launch your own balloons, fly black kites, march with black banners, etc.

4 - To donate to the cost of the balloons.

More information: http://www.60yearsofnakba.org/

Rivergirl

:salam2:
great idea, i think it is perfect! to highlight the fact that there is nothing to celebrate!!!! if only there was a way to do this at a certain time in every major country to get more media attention and highlight the issues!!!!

:wasalam:

AAminAA

Amatullah
yeah 60 years of independence stealing

:( :( :(

60 years since that fake state were made upon the dead bodeis of Palestinian people who are still dying. Shame on world ! And they are talking that muslims are Ter... ! May Allah humiliate them on our hands Ameen !

Yousuf.

I'll do my best to spread this message around. InsyaAllah!
This is a great campaign indeed!

warda A

Sister

60yrs of independence?
Why? they were not colonized, rather they are colonizing
Black dress for me
i wear it daily, my abaya.

That day all muslims+christians+jews should pray for the peace in palestine.
Palestine is a state of different faiths.

Inshalla all will go according to plan

:tti_sister:

sister Harb, great idea.
hopefully the balloons will find their way to the rest of the world.
wind blow them everywhere
:wasalam:

lostlilly07

striving 4 Firadous
what can I do, in the United States.....I think I will walk around with a black ballon on that day....

Muslimboy2222

Asalam Aleikum

If they want people to hear their side of the story why don't they resort to peaceful ways & means instead of killing innocent. I don't knw if they truly mean what they say but if they do then we as muslims should at least give them a chance don't u think so to?? but even so we should always be fair & just to them always irrespective of their strong actions against innocent people. I wonder, why are they celebrating independence when they knw they haven't been colonized at all???? maybe they are celebrating independence from the nazits?? who knows. If they want peace why are they still killing innocent people in palestine, is this just a way to give israel a positive image or??. Inshallah I hope that one day there will be peace between these two groups

Waleikum salam.

palestine

Servant of Allah
i'm gonna write letters inshallah.
i'm also in a social justice group thing. so inshallah i'll bring it up with them.
this is my best opportunity to show the world that the injustice needs to end.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
capt.8e153d43dfdf4e5299ce16a86a60c905.mideast_israel_palestinians_al_nakba_xmm107.jpg

Palestinians release black balloons during an activity marking Israel's 60th anniversary, which Palestinians call the 'nakba,' or catastrophe, the word they use to describe Israel's establishment which resulted in the displacement of hundreds of thousands of Palestinians, in the West Bank refugee camp of Kalandia between Jerusalem and Ramallah, Thursday, May 15, 2008.
(AP Photo/Muhammed Muheisen)

capt.0a74f6d5ff1e41c5adf6fdabf2523000.aptopix_mideast_israel_palestinians_jrl146.jpg

capt.2096b15caf974da09c1dcc8fea724962.mideast_israel_palestinians_jrl145.jpg

Palestinian children bring out black balloons to release into the air during a rally to mark Israel's 60th anniversary, which Palestinians call the 'nakba,' or catastrophe, the word they use to describe Israel's establishment which resulted in the displacement of hundreds of thousands of Palestinians, in the refugee camp of Aida near the West Bank town of Bethlehem, Thursday May 15, 2008.
(AP Photo/Tara Todras-Whitehill)

lostlilly07

striving 4 Firadous
wa alaikum salaam

I am so glad you posted those pictures...i WAS Trying to find some info on yahoo or cnn.