A poor boy asks me for money

uk_brother786

:salam2:

For example:

If there is a poor boy asks me for money, i give him some money, i am doing for my rewards for next life but not feeling sorry for that boy. Will Allah accepts my rewards?

:wasalam:

Rosheen

Sister in Islam
Its all about intention.

You shouldn't give to charity just to get brownie points from Allah. Charity is about helping others less fortunate than yourself. If you receive reward from Allah then thats a great bonus. I think charity is about respecting your fellow human beings and hoping that one day if you ever need charity someone else will help.

zarah

Islam
Staff member
Its all about intention.

You shouldn't give to charity just to get brownie points from Allah. Charity is about helping others less fortunate than yourself. If you receive reward from Allah then thats a great bonus. I think charity is about respecting your fellow human beings and hoping that one day if you ever need charity someone else will help.

:ma: sis...

A

addan

salaam

hi

bro what is sadaqa mean?

i hate u commitment

what u mean poor boy

are u righ aqee

we all poor in this dunya

so if some one asking u some money dont think he is a poor

but that time he nead mabe

so coud be tommorow his day

pay some mor sadaqa if u righ peaple de nead

and be care full the word u writting

uk_brother786

hi

bro what is sadaqa mean?

i hate u commitment

what u mean poor boy

are u righ aqee

we all poor in this dunya

so if some one asking u some money dont think he is a poor

but that time he nead mabe

so coud be tommorow his day

pay some mor sadaqa if u righ peaple de nead

and be care full the word u writting

I knew you going to say that. I am just giving you for example, not real.

PS. i do care poor people.

I have somewhat of a dilemma in this area as well. You see I don't mind giving money and I feel sorry for those who's life is hard, but the issue is if I give that same person money once, twice, three times, doesn't that encourage them to beg more? It's like one of those Sigmond Freud things -positive reinforcement which keeps them coming back for more. Should I continue giving them money? At what point do I stop? I'd love to hear some input on this.

walaakum salaam

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Asalamu Alykum,

Sometimes a random person comes to me and asks, although i was reluctant into whether he/she would spend for food or other necessities or for drugs, alcohol etc. But now i think Allah (S.W.T) wants to see what i will do, so im confused. Although this has not happend for awhile.

Slightly off topic but according to someone i know, there was a beggar outside Asda (supermarket) and he always used to beg and managed to get quite a bit of money. Anyway someone said he ended becoming quite rich. Although i found it hard to believe.

Wasalam

I have somewhat of a dilemma in this area as well. You see I don't mind giving money and I feel sorry for those who's life is hard, but the issue is if I give that same person money once, twice, three times, doesn't that encourage them to beg more? It's like one of those Sigmond Freud things -positive reinforcement which keeps them coming back for more. Should I continue giving them money? At what point do I stop? I'd love to hear some input on this.

walaakum salaam

Rosheen

Sister in Islam
There was a big thing a few years back about professional beggars....the newspaper revealed they were making loads of money out of people.

My advice here is to donate to the charities; eg; Shelter for Homeless people or your local masjid for folks closer to home :p

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

In Islam we are told to work as hard as we can for ourselves. But, we are told that all provisions come from Allah.
If we give..we have to give with our hearts with no string attached. If I am given the Promise of Meeting My Maker..a dollar ain't going to make me nor is a dollar going to break me...
Often, the blessings that the recipent invokes from Allah is worth more than the dismal amount I have given..
The Prophet (swas) gave and gave and gave..
Allah you have give me life..Allumdullilah.

There was a big thing a few years back about professional beggars....the newspaper revealed they were making loads of money out of people.

My advice here is to donate to the charities; eg; Shelter for Homeless people or your local masjid for folks closer to home :p

Salaamalik,

Take that Donald Trump- actually 101 ways to get rich!

Next time, I will just nod my head and give'm that look and point my finger towards the masjid.

justoneofmillion

assalamu aleikum i also see a lot of young people begging for money i do not know if they do it because they are forced or because they need drugs or may be they are just hungry so sometimes i do give money and sometimes i buy them food or share with them whatever am eating for example a sandwich or something if i see someone begging while going to buy a sandwich or cake i buy them also!but it doesn`t matter why they are begging because if they are doing that it means they need it you can`t be wrong on that and when i see people exagerating on buying useless things than i have to feel for them both of them!

wassalam

Salaam,

In Islam we are told to work as hard as we can for ourselves. But, we are told that all provisions come from Allah.
If we give..we have to give with our hearts with no string attached. If I am given the Promise of Meeting My Maker..a dollar ain't going to make me nor is a dollar going to break me...
Often, the blessings that the recipent invokes from Allah is worth more than the dismal amount I have given..
The Prophet (swas) gave and gave and gave..
Allah you have give me life..Allumdullilah.

Salaamalikum sister,

Jazak-Allah Khair- a great way to look at it

Rosheen

Sister in Islam
This is a good idea, if they are begging cos they are hungry then why should they mind being given a cake or a sandwhich? Thats feeding them. However I once saw in Camden town a tramp try to beat some guy up cos he had the audacity to put 50p in the pot. Apparently it wasn't enough; so this poor guy had a full can of beer chucked at his head.

assalamu aleikum i also see a lot of young people begging for money i do not know if they do it because they are forced or because they need drugs or may be they are just hungry so sometimes i do give money and sometimes i buy them food or share with them whatever am eating for example a sandwich or something if i see someone begging while going to buy a sandwich or cake i buy them also!but it doesn`t matter why they are begging because if they are doing that it means they need it you can`t be wrong on that and when i see people exagerating on buying useless things than i have to feel for them both of them!

wassalam

Libinette

Umm Zubayr

You should be careful, few weeks ago, a young boy came to me, asking for money, i honetly didn't have anything. On my way back, i saw him again (he didn't see me tough), he was with his elder brother, i think, he had a bag full of sweets, subhanallah these people also sometimes, around prayer times come round my local mosque, begging and stuff but never actually come inside.
May Allah guide them.

You should be careful, few weeks ago, a young boy came to me, asking for money, i honetly didn't have anything. On my way back, i saw him again (he didn't see me tough), he was with his elder brother, i think, he had a bag full of sweets, subhanallah these people also sometimes, around prayer times come round my local mosque, begging and stuff but never actually come inside.
May Allah guide them.

salaamalik,

Yeah, I can relate to the part where they come around the masjids. A friend of my mine said they are gypsies or something like that. I don't know too much about them but he said their like thieves. I think alot of times they come near the masjids because I think they know Muslim people are very caring and giving people. I think you do have to be careful but no matter what they do to your money or who they are Allah will reward you for your intentions.

omooba

asalam aleikum

so should we give them money or not?

i have been told not to but sometimes i feel compelled to because i dont know what else to do
other times i feel that as i look like a muslim it is sort of like letting down the faith not to give it to them and i also feel quite embarrassed when someone asks me for money and i say no especially when they try to play the muslim card by salaming me

dawood_smriti

Asalaamalykum,

Couple of years earlier,In a friday khutbah I remember the Imam saying tht we should not give money to the every begger as we ve been ordained to help needy people not the beggers,taking tht in literal sense.Now sumone may say tht whosoever begs is needy then I do not agree with it for sum people it has become a proffesion.In India there are lots and lots of beggers,It recently was in news tht Begging Industry is a well flourished industry in India worth millions of rupees(Indian currency).I do give money or help needy people in sum or the other way...(Alhumdullilah God has given us the potential to help others)...Sum time back I saw a man with only one arm working as a mason in the construction of a building and there many other people who despite of having disabilities prefer working and on the contrary hand there are people who r quite nomal or lazy or with sum disabilities prefer begging...May Allah help us all...

"It is better for any of you to carry a load of firewood on his own back than begging from someone else." Riyadh-Us-Saleheen, Chapter 59, hadith 540 .."

"Those needy ones who are wholly wrapped up in the cause of Allah, and who are hindered from moving about the earth in search of their livelihood especially deserve help. He who is unaware of their circumstances supposes them to be wealthy because of their dignified bearing, but you will know them by their countenance, although they do not go about begging of people with importunity. And whatever wealth you will spend on helping them, Allah will know of it. (2:273)"

"Hakim bin Hizam that the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) said: The upper hand is better than the lower hand (i.e. he who gives in charity is better than him who takes it). One should start giving first to his dependents. And the best object of charity is that which is given by a wealthy person (from the money which is left after his expenses). And whoever abstains from asking others for some financial help, Allah will give him and save him from asking others, Allah will make him self-sufficient. (Bukhari)"

"Salim related that the Prophet said: Anyone who looks after and works for a widow and a poor person is like a warrior fighting for AllahÕs cause, or like a person who fasts during the day and prays all night. (Bukhari) "

In the End I would like to say tht I believe We offcourse should help the people in need in the best possible way but should not encourage begging...And this Is my personell opinion..No offence please..)As I may be wrong and Allah's knows best.)

Wasalaam

dna1987

Muslim Guy
Its all about intention.

Salam alaikum.

In regards to the quoted part in bold:

Surah Al-Lail (Surah 92): Verses 18 - 21

18. Who gives away his wealth, purifying himself.

19. And who has (in mind) no favour from anyone to be paid back,

20. Except the seeking of the pleasure of his Lord, the Most High.

21. He will surely will be pleased (when he enters Paradise).

These verses state that one who donates for a reason none other than for seeking Allah's mercy will enter paradise.

So I'd have to say donating for charity purposes purely for brownie points is not a bad thing.

Perahps feeling compassion for the one who is need of the money will be an added bonus. Again, I'm no scholar, and the above is my opinion based on what I have learnt to date. I haven't read the posts in the second page of this thread, so I'm not sure if someone has already responded to the orginal post with a fatwa. This (surah 92) is just one of the few Surah's of the Quran that I myself have memorised along with the meaning and tafsir, etc and hence, my only thread in the "Articles about Quran" is on it. Lol.
http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8585

Salam alaikum.

EDIT: Just to make clear, I wasn't talking about giving money to beggars. I was mainly focusing on donating to anything or anyone (people who really ARE poor and are NOT begging....and the only purpose for donating is that you want to seek Allah's rewards and mercy.

Rosheen

Sister in Islam
FAO DNA 1987

Jazakallah for the info, I didn't realise any of that....you really do learn something new every day!!!