Acquiring the status of ..

weakslave

Assalamu'alaykum wa rahmatullaah

At-Tirmidhee and Ibn Majah narrated that `Atiyah As-Sa`di said that the Messenger of Allaah :saw: said:

لَا يَبْلُغُ الْعَبْدُ أَنْ يَكُونَ مِنَ الْمُتَّقِينَ حَتَّى يَدَعَ مَالَا بَأْسَ بِهِ حَذَرًا مِمَّا بِهِ بَأْس

"The servant will not acquire the status of the Muttaqeen until he abandons what is harmless out of fear of falling into that which is harmful"

This hadith was labelled as Da'eef by Al-Albaani rahimahu Allah. And Allaah knows best.

rayray

Wa`alaykum us-salaam

Baarak Allaahu feeki. The TV is hardly harmless. Perhaps a better example is to avoid sitting in a gathering out of fear that brothers or sisters will engage into too much idle-talk, as often happens these days? Allaah knows best.

Harmless things, as it is defined here; tv, internet, gatherings and etc. I think could not and should not be abandoned unless one wants to live under a rock. These things are instruments that makes one aware of current events and decisions which might affect him/ her.

One should not avoid a gathering just because there are people of the opposite sex participating in it. There could be a lot of knowledge exchanged in that gathering. One should not be afraid of going to a kaffir? country like for instance those in Europe. A lot of things could be learned from traveling. I thought the main challenge to Muslims/ people in general (in this dunya) is to do what is right/ moral (Islamic as is the case) despite being faced with such situations? If one has a strong moral base... or equipped with good education/ logic/ reason, then I think they should not fear.

I don't deny that these "harmless" things; idle talk with people of the opposite sex, listening to music, watching romantic films... may lead to something harmful... emotional or otherwise. But it's the way that one handles the situation that will determine if it will indeed be harmful/ harmless to him/her.

There is no such thing as a Muslim utopian community. People will encounter other people with different philosophies and beliefs at one point. Even Muslims sometimes disagree amongst themselves... I think the best thing to do when one encounters "harmful things" is to just learn to adapt and use their brain.

Salam

True_Sultan

A logical believer
Assalamu'alaykum wa rahmatullaah

At-Tirmidhee and Ibn Majah narrated that `Atiyah As-Sa`di said that the Messenger of Allaah :saw: said:

لَا يَبْلُغُ الْعَبْدُ أَنْ يَكُونَ مِنَ الْمُتَّقِينَ حَتَّى يَدَعَ مَالَا بَأْسَ بِهِ حَذَرًا مِمَّا بِهِ بَأْس

"The servant will not acquire the status of the Muttaqeen until he abandons what is harmless out of fear of falling into that which is harmful"

Hello..can someone tell me what Muttaqeen is? and how do u abandon something harmless in order to not fall into something harmfull (im guessing thats hell)..but what is harmless...how are sins harmless?

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
Hello..can someone tell me what Muttaqeen is? and how do u abandon something harmless in order to not fall into something harmfull (im guessing thats hell)..but what is harmless...how are sins harmless?

1. muttaqeen: who have taqwa of Allah. having love, hope and fear of Allah.

2. its not tht sins are harmless. here harmless things is being discussed. eg. a person leave using alcoholic perfumes due to difference of opinions among scholars or leaving a particular business as he feels some doubt in its working.

krackpot

slave warrior caged
Assalaam walaikum,

Please do not be upset with us if we are Americans. We just have to strive harder.

Women are going to be women no matter what. If we decorate our hijab with a dimunitive little pin..it eases the tension of being Muslim in America. I am greeted with a smile and not a barrel of a gun.

WA ALAIKUM AS SALAAM
sister islam breaks all bounds of racism, casteism nationalism etc etc.... we all love you no matter where you stay. you are our sister in islam and that matters the most :SMILY259:

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
Assalamu'alaikum wa rahamtullaah,

Yes..... Exactly
or in the case of women... Avoiding the simplest of adornments in their clothing...even though one is in hijab..out of fear of causing the slightest deviation..

Thats a good example..

This hadith was labelled as Da'eef by Al-Albaani rahimahu Allah. And Allaah knows best.

Allaahu’alem, I didn’t know this. As far as I know its strictly prohibited to use da’eef ahadeeth to derive actual rulings but with regards to tahreeb wa tagreeb Im not sure. I recall Ibn Hajr rahimahullaah mentions some conditions as to how and when da'eef narrations can be used. Can you provide us with a reference as to what Shaykh Albaani rahimahullaah had to say about it?

Harmless things, as it is defined here; tv, internet, gatherings and etc. I think could not and should not be abandoned unless one wants to live under a rock. These things are instruments that makes one aware of current events and decisions which might affect him/ her.
One should not avoid a gathering just because there are people of the opposite sex participating in it. There could be a lot of knowledge exchanged in that gathering. One should not be afraid of going to a kaffir? country like for instance those in Europe. A lot of things could be learned from traveling. I thought the main challenge to Muslims/ people in general (in this dunya) is to do what is right/ moral (Islamic as is the case) despite being faced with such situations? If one has a strong moral base... or equipped with good education/ logic/ reason, then I think they should not fear.

I think the point you’re missing is that all beneficial things cease to be beneficial if the laws of Allaah are transgressed or there is a real risk of it negatively affecting your imaan. For example you don’t go into a pub or a nightclub to invite people to Islaam right? Ofcourse not, such environments should be avoided completely, even if they were doing something beneficial in there (unlikely, but you get my point). On your point about travelling, recently I was planning a trip to Spain to see sites of the old Islaamic Empire however Im having second thoughts. There is indeed plenty to learn and see but it would depend on what sort of environment Im putting myself in for the duration of the visit. Would satisfying my curiosity about Islaamic history be justified if my imaan wasn't safe in the process, or I had to compromise a few principles for it?

If anything negatively affects your faith then the good that comes from it never outweighs the harm its doing.

I don't deny that these "harmless" things; idle talk with people of the opposite sex, listening to music, watching romantic films... may lead to something harmful... emotional or otherwise. But it's the way that one handles the situation that will determine if it will indeed be harmful/ harmless to him/her.
There is no such thing as a Muslim utopian community. People will encounter other people with different philosophies and beliefs at one point. Even Muslims sometimes disagree amongst themselves... I think the best thing to do when one encounters "harmful things" is to just learn to adapt and use their brain.

We have to be aware of the ills in society to know what to avoid but our own moral standards have to stay intact at all costs. There’s a huge danger of adapting to non-muslim standards when you live amongst them or indulge in their culture in the slightest way, that’s not okay at all.

Hello..can someone tell me what Muttaqeen is?

Good question, we're all learning the characterisitcs of the Muttaqeen, who are they, how to identify them, what is it about them that makes them special? Thats the point of the thread..

Anyways, the first narration posted appears to have shaken a few of our dormant brain cells lol ..if it is indeed da'eef then lets approach it with caution, if its confusing some of you then just take other reminders from the Qur'aan with regards to taqwa and how to acquire the status of the Muttaqeen, share them here if you can.

Wa-salaam

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا اتَّقُوا اللَّـهَ حَقَّ تُقَاتِهِ وَلَا تَمُوتُنَّ إِلَّا وَأَنتُم مُّسْلِمُونَ

Oh you who have believed, fear Allaah as He should be feared and do not die except as believers!
{Surah Al'Imraan Ayah 102}​

stiks

Amatur-Rahman
:salam2:

Can i add to this? yes? excellent

يَـٰٓأَيُّہَا ٱلنَّاسُ إِنَّا خَلَقۡنَـٰكُم مِّن ذَكَرٍ۬ وَأُنثَىٰ وَجَعَلۡنَـٰكُمۡ شُعُوبً۬ا وَقَبَآٮِٕلَ لِتَعَارَفُوٓاْ*!ۚ إِنَّ أَڪۡرَمَكُمۡ عِندَ ٱللَّهِ أَتۡقَٮٰكُمۡ*!ۚ إِنَّ ٱللَّهَ عَلِيمٌ خَبِيرٌ۬
(١٣

O mankind! We have created you from a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that you may know one another. Verily, the most honourable of you with Allâh is that (believer) who has At-taqwa [i.e. he is one of the Muttaqûn. Verily, Allâh is All-Knowing, All-Aware.
Al hujraat:13​