American Girl who's a Muslim living in Morocco

A_Happy_Convert

Assalamo alaikum,

My name is Jamila and I'm an American girl who has converted to Islam. Alhomdolillah that I am Muslim :)

Most people always ask how I found Islam and this is my story:

I discovered Islam about a year and a half ago while I was still living in California. While I was waiting for a friend, I found a copy of the Holy Quran on a bookshelf and picked it up. I couldn't put it down.

Let me give you a little background about myself: I grew up in the Midwest of USA and it's a very Christian place to live. When I was little, my mom and stepdad took me to church but as time went on my mom lost interest in the church. I became filled with questions that nobody could answer. When I was about 12 years old I used to ride my bike to the library to do research on all the different religions. I didn't want to be Catholic just because my mom was. So I was determined to take one or two books on each religion and find out which one made the most sense to me. After about a year of this, I was still feeling like I was in a maze of dead ends.

By the time I was 21, I started going by myself to a really nice Christian (not Catholic) church. I went a few times a week and eventually ended up teaching Sunday School to the children. During this time, I learned SO much about the Bible and the Prophets. (Thanks to Allah for this because if I would not have known these things already, the Quran would have seemed a little crazy to me. For example: "what do you mean Moses threw a stick and it turned into a snake??!!" Alhomdolillah that it all made sense) Anyways I still felt like something was missing. Eventually I moved to California by myself and that's where I found the Quran.

While I was living in LA, my lifestyle was starting to interfere with my religious beliefs. I mean, how could I read the Quran during the day but then go out with my friends to nightclubs at night? They didn't understand that I didn't want to be a part of any of that and that I was searching for a life that was more meaningful and valuable than partying and living the "life." After a while, I realized I couldn't possibly live there anymore. For some reason I had these visions and feelings to move to Morocco. I had never been there before but something was telling me to just go! I had hardly any money but a lot of iman. So I quit my job, sold everything I owned and packed one suitcase. I called my parents, told them I was leaving and moving to Africa alone. They thought I was crazy but they supported me anyway.

So now here I am in Morocco, surrounded by my Muslim brothers and sisters who not only accept what I believe in, but encourage me as well. Now I live alone in a small house next to a mosque and I'm very happy. I have finally found the peace and happiness I was looking for and alhomdolillah that I'm here. I pray my 5 prayers everyday, recite surahs in Arabic, and have the freedom to wear hijab and jellaba.

Allah is Amazing and I'm so thankful to be Muslim. :)

Does anyone else have any interesting stories on how they found Islam?

Peace,
~J

MaddieTheHijabi

Omg this brought tears to my eyes!!!!! Im an american girl from cali too, but ive lived in egypt most my life. Its so amazing how u were so drawn to that inner and u just went to morroco!!!! Im sorta jealous of ur strength. Subhan Allah!!!

Munawar

Striving for Paradise
:salam2:
Welcome to Islam and to TTI sister,

When I was about 12 years old I used to ride my bike to the library to do research on all the different religions. I didn't want to be Catholic just because my mom was. So I was determined to take one or two books on each religion and find out which one made the most sense to me.

This is soooo amazing that age 12 you were doing all this, you were going to the library to research on all the different religions. WOW !!! :ma:

Sister you are truely blessed. I pray to Allah (SWT) that He gives hidayah to everyone just as He gave it to you. Ameen.

When you make dua, if you remember then please also make dua for me too sister.

:wasalam:

Munawar

Striving for Paradise
Omg this brought tears to my eyes!!!!! Im an american girl from cali too, but ive lived in egypt most my life. Its so amazing how u were so drawn to that inner and u just went to morroco!!!! Im sorta jealous of ur strength. Subhan Allah!!!

Salam sister... How did you moved to Egypt sister?

Must be an interesting and inspiring story, if you wish to share it.

Wassalam.

A_Happy_Convert

Salam sister... How did you moved to Egypt sister?

Must be an interesting and inspiring story, if you wish to share it.

Wassalam.

Yes! Please share your story. :)

And thank you to everyone else who said such kind things. :)

May Allah bless you all.
~Jamila

saifkhan

abd-Allah
as-salam 'alaikum

Jazakum ALlahu khair for sharing your long sweet journey but in a very precise form, but it told everything.

masha Allah amazing ya ukhti,

may Allah bless you and keep you firm in Imaan
may He shower His mercy upon you , us and the whole Ummah who are in the right path.

barakAllahu feekum
wassalam my sister in Islam

queenislam

★★★I LOVE ALLAH★★★
Welcome to TTI

:ma:
Alhamdulillah!

Welcome to TTI
sister.
Glad to have you with us
:ma:

~May Allah swt help and guide you~Amin!
Take care!
~Wassalam :)

MaddieTheHijabi

Salam ^_^. Well it's nothing like the story above, obviously lol. I was born muslim, but my mom is american and converted to Islam when she met my father, who is Egyptian. So when I was about 7, my family moved to Egypt ^_^. That's it, really lol.

ferdaws-seeker

Allah guide who he wants....

subhanallah Allah guide who he wants .... he guide people from darkness of disbleive to the ligh of iman and from the injustice of religions to the mercy of islam.... wallahi welcome to that nation of " la illaha illa Allah"
in which city are you now in morocco sister ?

esperanza

revert of many years
Assalamo alaikum,

My name is Jamila and I'm an American girl who has converted to Islam. Alhomdolillah that I am Muslim :)

Most people always ask how I found Islam and this is my story:

I discovered Islam about a year and a half ago while I was still living in California. While I was waiting for a friend, I found a copy of the Holy Quran on a bookshelf and picked it up. I couldn't put it down.

Let me give you a little background about myself: I grew up in the Midwest of USA and it's a very Christian place to live. When I was little, my mom and stepdad took me to church but as time went on my mom lost interest in the church. I became filled with questions that nobody could answer. When I was about 12 years old I used to ride my bike to the library to do research on all the different religions. I didn't want to be Catholic just because my mom was. So I was determined to take one or two books on each religion and find out which one made the most sense to me. After about a year of this, I was still feeling like I was in a maze of dead ends.

By the time I was 21, I started going by myself to a really nice Christian (not Catholic) church. I went a few times a week and eventually ended up teaching Sunday School to the children. During this time, I learned SO much about the Bible and the Prophets. (Thanks to Allah for this because if I would not have known these things already, the Quran would have seemed a little crazy to me. For example: "what do you mean Moses threw a stick and it turned into a snake??!!" Alhomdolillah that it all made sense) Anyways I still felt like something was missing. Eventually I moved to California by myself and that's where I found the Quran.

While I was living in LA, my lifestyle was starting to interfere with my religious beliefs. I mean, how could I read the Quran during the day but then go out with my friends to nightclubs at night? They didn't understand that I didn't want to be a part of any of that and that I was searching for a life that was more meaningful and valuable than partying and living the "life." After a while, I realized I couldn't possibly live there anymore. For some reason I had these visions and feelings to move to Morocco. I had never been there before but something was telling me to just go! I had hardly any money but a lot of iman. So I quit my job, sold everything I owned and packed one suitcase. I called my parents, told them I was leaving and moving to Africa alone. They thought I was crazy but they supported me anyway.

So now here I am in Morocco, surrounded by my Muslim brothers and sisters who not only accept what I believe in, but encourage me as well. Now I live alone in a small house next to a mosque and I'm very happy. I have finally found the peace and happiness I was looking for and alhomdolillah that I'm here. I pray my 5 prayers everyday, recite surahs in Arabic, and have the freedom to wear hijab and jellaba.

Allah is Amazing and I'm so thankful to be Muslim. :)

Does anyone else have any interesting stories on how they found Islam?

Peace,
~J

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR STORY..SO INSPIRING,,,:hijabi:

Isra

aka Tree2008
Wa alaikome salam

Alhamdulillah sister! So its Ramadan day 3..........when are you going to call me to join the family for break the fast meal???? You do still have the number dont you??? Im waiting to hear from you and the soup is soooooooooooooooooooo good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hijabi:

Wa salam