An experience in london ,,

malishaheen

:salam2: everyone ,,

It has been 3 months since i have arrived in london , and i have managed to make many friends around , related to different origins , countries and religions ,

I have an experience to share with all of you ,,

recently i was invited to one of the thanks giving dinner by a christian family , we had managed to make good relations with time , especially mine with the 2 kids of the same family , However i was not aware that thanksgiving involves singing of biblic rhymes verses ,

So i went there , and after dinner , (i managed to get a seperate egg as i intended not to eat meat ), They distributed a bible and hymnic book to every one including myself , so i took it , and was directed to open a page , now they all started singing, i however did not sing because singing or saying something against the Truth would not be tolerated by Allah , , but after the singing and everything ,, they had a discussion ,, like how much God Loves us , Relation of Jesus With God and everything , I did managed to say what i know , that islam truely acknowledges Christ AH , as a true messenger of God , but this was not fully appreciated ,, apart from that ,, one lady said that God loves us and takes care of us like i take care of my children and forgives us like i forgive every mistake of my child ,,
upon that i managed to say what i knew that God Loves us to the extent of 70 such loves as in accordance with Quran ,, upon that ,, the lady said that God's Love is unlimited not bounded by a number , but i wanted to say more, like this was written just to explain the extent of God's Love in order to synchronise it with our life , but i couldnt as there were about 10 to 15 people around and 1 me ,, so i got interrupted ,, or i did not want the temperature to rise :p ,,

So i wanted to ask you , i am being invited again ,, should i go there ,, and to what extent should i indulge , i feel that my knowledge to discuss or defend my religion or to explain something in accordance with Quran is not that enough ,,

JZK ,, all

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
Go on brother, this is a great chance to daawa people. Before that learn more on christianity. I'm waiting for this kind of opportunity to have direct confrontation with other religious people but the opportunity yet to come to me. I'm not saying I'm good debater but I need to have more exposure and experience. My daawa trainer said "always remember you daawa people for Allah not to win any competition with them". It's ok if you failed to convince them but most important you have disturbed their mind..inshAllah one or two of them might start to do own research and inshAllah if Allah open their heart they will accept Islam.

Asha88

Ghurabaa
Salaam,

Since you have a good oppurtunity to tell them about Islam, then you should attend whenever they invite you so as long as you don't take part in anything that will considered haraam. Have a sound knowledge about Islam and Christianity so that you can have a good discussion about the differences in them. I like to be subtle when I do da'wah such that I'll ask them something about Christianity and whatever the answer they give, I will then try to include whatever I know about Islam and what the quran says about it.

Wish you all the best brother!

islamisthesolution

salaam 3lykum

Salaam,

Since you have a good oppurtunity to tell them about Islam, then you should attend whenever they invite you so as long as you don't take part in anything that will considered haraam. Have a sound knowledge about Islam and Christianity so that you can have a good discussion about the differences in them. I like to be subtle when I do da'wah such that I'll ask them something about Christianity and whatever the answer they give, I will then try to include whatever I know about Islam and what the quran says about it.

Wish you all the best brother!

i would say the same
may Allah help you my brother imagine what you can do if you cinvinced them to learn more aout islam and the amount of hasant that you will get from Allah
jazaka Allahu khyran
:ma::ma::ma:

um_mustafa

sister in Islam
Salams , All I found this on Q & A

Ruling on celebrating non-Muslim holidays and congratulating them
Can a muslim celebrate a non muslim holiday like Thanksgiving?
Praise be to Allaah.

Greeting the kuffaar on Christmas and other religious holidays of theirs is haraam, by consensus, as Ibn al-Qayyim, may Allaah have mercy on him, said in Ahkaam Ahl al-Dhimmah: "Congratulating the kuffaar on the rituals that belong only to them is haraam by consensus, as is congratulating them on their festivals and fasts by saying ‘A happy festival to you’ or ‘May you enjoy your festival,’ and so on. If the one who says this has been saved from kufr, it is still forbidden. It is like congratulating someone for prostrating to the cross, or even worse than that. It is as great a sin as congratulating someone for drinking wine, or murdering someone, or having illicit sexual relations, and so on. Many of those who have no respect for their religion fall into this error; they do not realize the offensiveness of their actions. Whoever congratulates a person for his disobedience or bid’ah or kufr exposes himself to the wrath and anger of Allaah."

Congratulating the kuffaar on their religious festivals is haraam to the extent described by Ibn al-Qayyim because it implies that one accepts or approves of their rituals of kufr, even if one would not accept those things for oneself. But the Muslim should not aceept the rituals of kufr or congratulate anyone else for them, because Allaah does not accept any of that at all, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

"If you disbelieve, then verily, Allaah is not in need of you, He likes not disbelief for His slaves. And if you are grateful (by being believers), He is pleased therewith for you. . ."
[al-Zumar 39:7]

". . . This day, I have perfected your religion for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islaam as your religion . . ."
[al-Maa’idah 5:3]

So congratulating them is forbidden, whether they are one’s colleagues at work or otherwise.

If they greet us on the occasion of their festivals, we should not respond, because these are not our festivals, and because they are not festivals which are acceptable to Allaah. These festivals are innovations in their religions, and even those which may have been prescribed formerly have been abrogated by the religion of Islaam, with which Allaah sent Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to the whole of mankind. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
"Whoever seeks a religion other than Islaam, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers." [Aal ‘Imraan 3:85]

It is haraam for a Muslim to accept invitations on such occasions, because this is worse than congratulating them as it implies taking part in their celebrations.

Similarly, Muslims are forbidden to imitate the kuffaar by having parties on such occasions, or exchanging gifts, or giving out sweets or food, or taking time off work, etc., because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Whoever imitates a people is one of them." Shaykh al-Islaam Ibn Taymiyah said in his book Iqtidaa’ al-siraat al-mustaqeem mukhaalifat ashaab al-jaheem: "Imitating them in some of their festivals implies that one is pleased with their false beliefs and practices, and gives them the hope that they may have the opportunity to humiliate and mislead the weak."

Whoever does anything of this sort is a sinner, whether he does it out of politeness or to be friendly, or because he is too shy to refuse, or for whatever other reason, because this is hypocrisy in Islaam, and because it makes the kuffaar feel proud of their religion.

Allaah is the One Whom we ask to make the Muslims feel proud of their religion, to help them adhere steadfastly to it, and to make them victorious over their enemies, for He is the Strong and Omnipotent.

Majmoo’ah Fataawa wa Rasaa’il al-Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 3/369)

muthmainnah

Subhanallah...jazakillah khair umm mustafa for sharing us this fatwa.
brother maslishaheen I think it's better for you to refuse their invitation, you can still make daawah for them in another occassion that is not in their celebration. Everytime you have a time to speak to them, you can do daawah without being involved in a haram things. Because to do dawah we should follow the Qur'an and sunnah. I think our prophet Muhammad salallahu alaihi wassalam never give daawah for the mushrikun of Quraisy by involving himself in their celebration.
Insha Allah by following the sunnah of daawah Allah will open their heart through your hands. Amin

BigAk

:salam2: everyone ,,

It has been 3 months since i have arrived in london , and i have managed to make many friends around , related to different origins , countries and religions ,

I have an experience to share with all of you ,,

recently i was invited to one of the thanks giving dinner by a christian family , we had managed to make good relations with time , especially mine with the 2 kids of the same family , However i was not aware that thanksgiving involves singing of biblic rhymes verses ,

So i went there , and after dinner , (i managed to get a seperate egg as i intended not to eat meat ), They distributed a bible and hymnic book to every one including myself , so i took it , and was directed to open a page , now they all started singing, i however did not sing because singing or saying something against the Truth would not be tolerated by Allah , , but after the singing and everything ,, they had a discussion ,, like how much God Loves us , Relation of Jesus With God and everything , I did managed to say what i know , that islam truely acknowledges Christ AH , as a true messenger of God , but this was not fully appreciated ,, apart from that ,, one lady said that God loves us and takes care of us like i take care of my children and forgives us like i forgive every mistake of my child ,,
upon that i managed to say what i knew that God Loves us to the extent of 70 such loves as in accordance with Quran ,, upon that ,, the lady said that God's Love is unlimited not bounded by a number , but i wanted to say more, like this was written just to explain the extent of God's Love in order to synchronise it with our life , but i couldnt as there were about 10 to 15 people around and 1 me ,, so i got interrupted ,, or i did not want the temperature to rise :p ,,

So i wanted to ask you , i am being invited again ,, should i go there ,, and to what extent should i indulge , i feel that my knowledge to discuss or defend my religion or to explain something in accordance with Quran is not that enough ,,

JZK ,, all

Yes.. Go again.. But, I would arm yourself with some knowledge before you go.. Please watch Deedat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9SfJR6YAw0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcMzHgq2zRo

Then you'll be ready insha Allah.

ahmed3711

salam

sure go again and again try to have self confidence and have courage because you have the power in your hand which is allah and islam.

believe me i don't have much knowledge but am sure that allah is with me thats why i talk with people about islam and i succeeded in that.

if you want me to let you talk to a reverted person to let you know some weak points in the bible just send me your mail

wish u the best inshalla in your next meeting and am sure of the good news even you can make copies of the quran to let them read it and then they decide

salam brother :)

cmelbouzaidi

:salam2: I would go again, Insha Allah, and study some Deedat videos and maybe Yusuf Estes, also :) This may be a wonderful opportunity for dawah even if it touches just one person in the room. I didn't know they did a thanksgiving type thing in London (i thought that was just americans).... Anyway, they may be trying to convert you but that is okay, you are steadfast in your faith and maybe some might realize that the truth lies within Islam, :ma: Keep us posted :) catherine iman :wasalam:

malishaheen

Thank you for all the replies dear bros and sisters , to be honest with you all , to persuade someone or to defend about Islam is indeed an art , and only some people know have a good background of knowledge about Quran and everything can do that ,, Sheikh Ahmed Deedat was one of such articles ,
i intend to go there , but i wouldnt want to create a question answer session as one without prior knowledge could get stuck anywhere ,, so its better for me ,, to first of all consider to strengthen my inner self which i feel is not that strong enough to be of such a character ,

but it indeed is one of my interests to defend or to eliminate the false impression of islam amongst the people around ,,

anyways ,,

JZK to all of you ,,

@um_mustafa

being honest ,, i have been wishing some of the people around ,, and its good that you pointed this thing out ,, so it will save me from further wrong doings ,,
JZK sis ,,

Isra

aka Tree2008
As-Salamo Alaikome...

Hmmmmmm how very interesting. I am wondering why your friends decided to turn a celebration like Thanksgiving into a religious holiday when it really has nothing to do with religion.

Thanksgiving is celebrated in the USA to commemorate when the settlers came and had the first feast with the Indian tribes who were living on this land at the time. From my understanding this had nothing to do with religion and please someone correct me if I am wrong.

Everyone I know just eats a huge meal (maybe there is a prayer prior to eating but that depends on the family and their faith just the same as any other meal) and then they watch football on tv or pass out from the food and being so full. :lol:

malishaheen

:ma:
you are right ,,

they have it everyweek ,,

on fridays ,,

they thank God during this day ,,

thats why called it thanks giving ,,

i am not being conventional ,,

cheers to you ,,
Salaam