Anyone else love to read?

Hannah123

One Truth
Salam alaikum,
I've been pondering over this idea for a week now and figured i'll just put it out there and see if anyone is interested. I know that fiction is not good reading for us, so i'm trying to read more islamic books, i was wondering if some of us might want to start trading or exchanging books back and forth, it would probably have to be a few people so we could all benefit. Like for instance i have this book "from my sisters lips" i don't know the author off the top of my head, but it's about some sisters journey through hijab and converting. It's a good book based from uk i think. I was just thinking to myself that maybe another sister would like to read it!! let me know. I also have the gospel of barnabas. the true stories of isa(as) i haven't read it yet, but it's very informational and i would love to pass it around. Anyway, insha'allah, let me know what you all think. Thanks
Hannah

Libinette

Umm Zubayr
That's a very kind throught of yours :mashallah: i have that book too, the author is Naima B.Roberts, i, too have many books but i don't have as much time to read unfortunatly...:(

Hannah123

One Truth
salam alaikum
I'm a sister! anyway, i don't like reading books online, it hurts my eyes!! I love to have the books in my hand. I'm not trying to get free book, i just want to share and trade back and forth. i thought it was a good idea.
Hannah

abdellah007

salam alaykum,

yes reading online books hurt my eyes too, but how could we exchange books and we are thousands miles away.? :(

Hannah123

One Truth
I guess we could send them, it might get expensive your right, i diddn't really think about that. There's got to be another way!!
Hannah

BrotherZak

First of all their is absolutely nothing wrong with reading fiction unless its obviously not adult content or anything generally obscene. I have a huge collection of fiction novels but i don't want to share them now but in terms of islamic content....

i'm reading

Tarek Ramadan's sirah on the prophet mohammed's life
The bible and the quran in the light of science by Maurice Buicille
I'm planning to read "Islam and the destiny of Man" by Charles Le Gai Eaton(english convert) http://www.amazon.com/Islam-Destiny...7531612?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1192650484&sr=8-1

an excerpt from the review list of the book

"I have little to add to the other reviews lauding the brilliance with which this book is written, the excellence of its philosophy, and the sympathetic exegesis of Islam: indeed all of the Abrahamic religions. The one sour review you will read says it all about the excellence of this work.

I am a born-again, Bible believing Christian. It is a pleasure to read such a surrender to the wisdom of God, the Author of history, even if the true nature of Christ isn't, sadly, acknowledged.

I discovered this book entirely by accident, and cannot understand why it is not vastly better known. Do not let this gem of a book escape your careful attention!":

the book apparently is one of the best out there if you want to explorer islam and spirituality and its also amazingly written. I suggest it to everyone.

another review 5/5
"I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to know the true Islam. Charles le Gai Eaton has written an excellent guide to Islam that will leave the intellectual reader full of thought-provoking questions about their spirituality, their concept of God, and the meaning of life. I was a church-going Christian when I read this book, quite uninterested in changing my religion, and certainly never to become the unthinkable: a Muslim. When I first read this 5 years ago, I heard that thousands of people had embraced Islam after reading his book. The author's depth of conviction and his miraculous change of heart from anti-religion and serious student of philosophy, to becoming Muslim, is beyond what most Americans/Europeans would expect. I praise God that I found this book to help lead me to true freedom, the path of Islam."

here is the wikipedia on his book: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_le_Gai_Eaton

apparently many Britsh Muslims reverted to islam after reading it.

walakum salam

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Assalaamu alaikum,

First of all their is absolutely nothing wrong with reading fiction unless its obviously not adult content or anything generally obscene.

You're absolutely right about that but for the benefit of others there are other content that can be harmful too.

Reading fiction and watching science fiction movies

Question:
Is it OK to read books on Science fiction where a mad scientist creates a human being or a hybrid between a human and an animal?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

If these stories include lies, such as Darwin’s theory (evolution), and other things that are contrary to the facts stated by Islam and the facts of natural science, then the Muslim should avoid them, and keep himself busy with something that will be of use to him, such as learning good things or doing righteous deeds or reading true stories and historical accounts and so on. Many of the movies and novels that are known as “Science Fiction” include a lot of kufr, such as putting life and death in the hands of some created being, giving creatures the ability to create from nothing, saying that scientists in laboratories can create from nothing, making inanimate things come alive, creating life from a fossil that has been dead for many millenia, or travelling to the future then coming back to the present. All of this is impossible, and no one knows the unseen except for Allaah. Some of these novels and movies also include clear contradictions of historical facts that are mentioned in the Qur’aan and Sunnah, such as man’s creation and his life on earth. When the Muslim indulges in reading these books or watching these movies, it shakes his belief or at the very least wastes his time and keeps him busy with something that is of no benefit to him. Some people claim that this is just entertainment and a way of passing time, but entertainment is not permitted if it is haraam, and the Muslim’s time is too precious to be wasted on such trivial things. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “One of the signs of a person being properly committed to Islam is that he leaves alone that which does not concern him.” (Reported by al-Tirmidhi, 2239, and others. Also in Saheeh al-Jaami’, 5911). And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

wantobeMumin

Asalamu alukum

man that was suppose to be me starting this thread. i had this idea for a while but cudnt muster up the courage to put forth considering all kind of things related privacy, permission from masboot and several other issues. i seriously think we can start a good non profit islamic book trading system here and any body can benifit from it. there r books i want to read bu i just dont kno about them. with all the collection from TTI memebers we can share good knowledge among us.

sister Hannah i have Imam ghazali collection. i still think to this date that its a real stuff. wittn centuries ago translated beautifully but now sitting in my book shelf. if any one is interested they can holla back at me for "

Remembrance of death

Deliverence from error

please Pm if any one wants to trade with me in north america. waslam.

salam alaykum,

yes reading online books hurt my eyes too, but how could we exchange books and we are thousands miles away.? :(

Asalaamalikum,

That's funny cuz lately my eyes have been hurting too LOL

I hope TTI has some sort of a disclaimer for not being responsible for this problem or else we might have take them to court :SMILY71:

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
i'm reading

Tarek Ramadan's sirah on the prophet mohammed's life

brother..that is the BEST modern-sirah i have read of the Prophet (pbuh) so far...i always always always recommend it to those who want to learn about the Prophet (pbuh)..it's so beautiful and moving and new in approach!
i truly loved it!
inshallah you will enjoy it too

:wasalam:

palestine

Servant of Allah
Salam alaikum,
I've been pondering over this idea for a week now and figured i'll just put it out there and see if anyone is interested. I know that fiction is not good reading for us, so i'm trying to read more islamic books, i was wondering if some of us might want to start trading or exchanging books back and forth, it would probably have to be a few people so we could all benefit. Like for instance i have this book "from my sisters lips" i don't know the author off the top of my head, but it's about some sisters journey through hijab and converting. It's a good book based from uk i think. I was just thinking to myself that maybe another sister would like to read it!! let me know. I also have the gospel of barnabas. the true stories of isa(as) i haven't read it yet, but it's very informational and i would love to pass it around. Anyway, insha'allah, let me know what you all think. Thanks
Hannah

:salam2: Dear brothers and sisters well i'm considered a "weirdo", or a "geek" because i love to read and write alot. anyways i thought i might give you the titles of some of the books i have read. they are very educational islamic books. here it goes
these books are about the sahaba and rasulullah s.a.w by Noura Durkee
-Hearts have changed
-Torch bearers of Islam
-the first ones
-those promised paradise

other books:
-Ideal Muslimah by Muhammad Ali al-hashimi (this is one of the best books, it talks about the muslim women whether young or old. it covers till the end of the women's life. mashaAllah) i'd recommend this book to every sister and brother also, though it is about women. How she should dress, act, speak, treat others...on and on and on. you won't get tired of it. it's really good. i'll think of more books. until then salam.

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
salam

if you love that book...read islam and the destiny man by charles de guilles

inshallah i will brother..i took down the names of all the books you had suggested actually
..as i wish to read Islamic books currently more than anything else
jazaka allaho khairan for the suggestions :hijabi:

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Asalaamu'Alykum,

I too love to read. SubhanAllah.

Currently i am reading:

"Dont be Sad"
"Belief in Allah by Umar Al-Ashqar"

These books are really good, i only moved onto "Belief in Allah" after i had read Kitab-at-Tawheed with lectures. SubhanAllah this is a bit taken from Dont be Sad:

An activity that brings joy is for you to read a book and develop your mind through the acquisition of knowledge.
Al-Jaahiz, an arab writer from centuries ago, advised one to repel anxiety through the reading of books:

"The book is a companion that does not praise you and does not entice you to evil. It is a friend that does not bore you, and it is a neighbor that causes you no harm. It is an acquaintance that desires not to extract from you favors through flattery, and it does not deceive you with duplicity and lies. When you are poring through the pages of a book, your senses are stimulated and intellect sharpens... Through reading the biographies of others, you gain an appreciation of common people while learning the ways of kings.

It can even be said that you sometimes learn from the pages of a book in a month, that which you do not learn from the tongues of men in a century. All this benefit, yet no loss in wealth and no need to stand at the door of the teacher who is waiting for his fees or to learn from someone who is lower than you in manners.

The book obeys you by night as it does by day, both when you are travelling and when you are at home. A book is not impaired by sleep nor does it tire in the late hours of the night. It is the teacher who is there for you whenever you are in need of it, and it is the teacher who, if you reuse to give to it, does not refuse to give to you. If you abandon it, it does not decrease in obedience.

And when all turn against you, showing you enmity, it remains by your side. As long as you are remotely attached to a book, it suffices you from having to keep company with those that are idle. It prevents you from sitting on your doorstep and watching those who pass by. It saves you from mixing with those that are frivolous in their character, foul in their speech, and woeful in their ignorance. If the only benefit of a book was that it keeps you from foolish daydreaming and prevents from frivolity., it would certainly be considered a true friend who has given you a great favor"

There is more benefits of reading as well. SubhanAllah, those feeling lonely then get a really good book.

Alhamdulilah

Wasalam

Mahzala

فَتَبَارَكَ اللَّهُ أَحْسَنُ الْخَالِقِينَ
:salam2:

I hope TTI has some sort of a disclaimer for not being responsible for this problem or else we might have take them to court :SMILY71:

Haha that is funny.. Good Thinking.. But I can do it for hours.. no strain on my eyes.. just a killer for my shoulders..

About the books, that's not a bad idea.. I have heaps of eucational resources that are new.. I need to get rid of them.. What to do?

warda A

Sister
i love reading too

hi salaam from yemen
i love reading, infact i read almost anybook from fiction to science fiction to non fiction to religious books and at the moment i wish i could get a hold on barnabes gospel, the lasr time i read was like 7 years ago and it was fantastic i would like to reread it, but to tell u the truth i live in a place where finding even a translation of the quran is like looking for a pin in a haystack imagine just getting a book in english!

those who have ready books availablae to them should be grateful
coz we are told to seek knowledge howewere far it it is, right?

to clear one thing, ppl will ask do u not read arabic? well i was born in a none arabic non islamic contry even though am an arab we were brought up speaking english and now i feel like what a waste.

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Asalaamu'Alykum

I am in the same boat. But you can still try and learn Arabic. Insh'Allah i am doing okay, although its takes me a little awhile to string a sentence together, although i guess it was the same with many.

Alhamdulilah

Wasalam

to clear one thing, ppl will ask do u not read arabic? well i was born in a none arabic non islamic contry even though am an arab we were brought up speaking english and now i feel like what a waste.

warda A

Sister
thank you ditta, actually i speak arabic even though it is grammaticaly always broken am understood, but when it comes to reading, i hit the wall, but am trying.
i would still love to get a hold on eglish books.
jazakallhu kheiran