Are Your Friends Worth it?...

revert-sister

Proud to be a MUSLIM
Asalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakathuhu..

The Prophet told his close companion: "By Allah! Whoever gives up something for the sake of Allah, Allah will replace it with something better than it!"

Are Your Friends Worth it?...Use the Checklist to find out!

Does your friend fit these traits of a sincere, loving, and true friend?

Does he help you become a better and productive person? It's a mistaken belief that a `good friend likes you for what you are'. A sincere friend inspires you, either with words or actions, to improve your personality and situation.

In a beautiful analogy, the Prophet likened the company of a sincere friend to visiting a perfume seller. Every time you visit the perfume seller, you benefit from his shop:

You get some perfume as a present, or you buy some from him or, at the least, you obtain a beautiful fragrance from his company.
[Bukhari & Muslim]

Is she like a mirror to you? The Prophet stated,
"The believer is like a mirror to other believers (in truthfulness)."
[Abu Daud].

Like a mirror, your friend gives you an honest image. She forgives your mistakes, but does not hide or exaggerate your strengths and weaknesses.

Do his manners and lifestyle remind you of Allah? Once the Prophet was asked, "What person can be the best friend?" "He who helps you remember Allah, and reminds you when you forget Him," he counseled.

The Prophet was further asked, "Who is the best among people?" He replied, "He who, when you look at him, you remember God". Such a friend reflects qualities of love, mercy, honesty, service, patience, optimism, professionalism, and the entire lifestyle taught by Islam.

Does he love you solely for the sake of Allah? The bonds we form at work, school and in the neighborhood may whither over time if they are not built for the right reason. Friendship based on Islamic principles is sincere and everlasting, since it is strengthened by a higher purpose and fervent faith.

Do you feel comfortable and secure in her presence? If your friend's company makes you feel guilty about the things you do and thoughts you share, you must question the benefit of this relationship. Consider the wise saying: "Being alone is better than having an evil companion and having a sincere companion is better than being alone."

If your friend does not like you for the beauty of your character, intelligence, morality, and sincerity, you deserve better!

"And keep yourself content with those who call on their Lord morning and evening, seeking His Countenance, and let not your eyes pass beyond them to those who seek the pomp and glitter of this life." [18:28]

Jumu'ah Mubarak

Loyal Servant

~ AllahuAkbar
Salaam Sister....
I do not have words to thank U !
I was very deprssed regarding my friend.
I asked ALLAH(SWT) to help me out and show me the right way.
N look....u have posted such a beautiful article.
Thank You Sister....May u blessed withh joy !
Salaam !

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
:salam2:

The Prophet (pbuh) has also said...*A man is upon the deen of his companion..(therefore) look at whom you accompany (i.e. befriend)*

Meaning...the state of iman of a person is influenced by his/her friend...and that is something critical because it affects the deen altogether!..therefore we need to be careful about who we choose as friends...so we don't jeoporadize our iman and thus our practice and commitment to the deen...

and I can tell you from experience that friends are the difference between being in jahiliyyah...and being under the light of guidance...

those infatuated with this dunya will handcuff you to that infatuation as well and even when you try to break free..they will lure you into losing the will to do so...

while those who seek Allah's pleasure in every action..and every word they utter...they practically *carry* you towards the enjoyment and satisfaction they feel from that...they will pray for your guidance before their own..and they will preoccupy their minds night and day with the thought of you..should you display the will of purifying yourself from what may distance you from Allah...

May Allah grant us all companions worthy of our company in this dunya and in the akhirah...Inshallah :hijabi:

:wasalam:

Asha88

Ghurabaa
Salaam Sister Yvette,

Thanks a lot for that post! At least it gives me a better idea of the kind of friends that I should be having and those to avoid!! :)

Wasalaam

revert-sister

Proud to be a MUSLIM
i think you should now in your heart it doesnt take a man mad artical to tell you! lool
every one knows what peopleas muslims we need to avoid,
anti-islam, unless we can see a change,
bad mouthed and bad hearted people, etc

we can see with our eyes
and feel with our hearts who we can trust

~yvette~

Asha88

Ghurabaa
Salaam,

What you said is true.. but some of my friends are those that you have described in your post however I am really close to them. To me, it is difficult to decide if I should continue being friends with them or not. At least your post made me realise something else. After all, I don't want to be the "mirror image of such friends"

Wasalaam

Hasana jafreen

all praise 2 allah
Asalam sister.
Nice post.inspiring to find a friend with such a character n even to be a friend of that kind.insha allah.but i have only few muslim friends n even they live far.i feel my non-muslim are also good.but really confused after reading this that do i have worthful friend.insha allah i hope i will find a good muslim friend.:salam2:

Muhammad Saleh

Asslam alaikum,
In my opinion instead of leaving those friends who you think are away from the right path try to make them true servants of Allah. Instead of being like them or the way they want us to be we should try to influence their behavior by being more generous and courteous. atleast we should make some effort to make them good muslims before leaving them. I strongly believe that if you yourself are a good muslim and making a continous effort to enlighten them about islam one day they might even become better muslims then we are.
and if we try to analyse all these sayings of prophet(SAW) we would come to know that there have to be some people who can become a source of inspiration for others. If a perfume seller only lets in to his shop only perfume sellers then he is not doing too good. we all should strive to make friends who are better muslims then us and learn from them and guide them who we think are not so good.
Allah knows the best.

wassalam

Amirah84

:salam2: sister revert,

thank you so much for this article. MAshaAllah you have made me think about my friends too.

Just today I made a dua to Allah subhana wa ta'ala to keep me in the company of good friends and righteous people. You can literally feel your iman increasing when you are around those who remember Allah subhana wa ta'ala much.

May Allah increase you in taqwa and reward you abundantly, ameen
:wasalam:

wiseone

Great article. I like when I read things like this because it really makes me reflect. I only have a few friends, but I have known them for so many years. Really good friends.

palestine

Servant of Allah
MashAllah. I have acquantances but not actual friends. Everyone whom i have considered a friend to me in the past has betrayed me or done something to me repeatedly. so now i'm not interested in having friends anymore. I could say i still have some but not that close of friends. I'm a gullible person and so long as the person is muslim i easily believe what they tell me, not wanting to think of them as liers and so on. But unfortunately they've stood me up many times. and this happens more than once. so now i'm just really concentrating on my deen rather than friends. I've wished for so long that i could have a "best friend", whom can help spread the dawah and be by my side. but i was just "dreaming" lol and so now i reallly don't have much of friends. i respect others and they respect me, but EVERY ONE OF MY SO CALLED FRIENDS have not been true friends to me. so i guess sometimes you gotta let go. i don't know who to call friends anymore. the only friends i have are tti brothers and sisters but too bad they all live in different countries. lol. JazakaAllahu khayran, for those of you who do have friends, watch your backs. as for those like me who don't, you don't gotta worry about any dramas. lol. but still follow the sisters advice. Asalamu alaykum wrwb and jazakaAllahu khayran.

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
:salam2:

soooooo true friends are not those who like you for whatever you are.they guide you to the right path.
mashallah sis nice post.jazakallah khaira.:)