atheist looking to have answers about islam

Nurain

Firstly, welcome to you and I would say you are intelligent to ask questions, something which many people who are atheist won't look beyond. As brother Ayman has put it, to them "nothing is a miracle".

I read some very good answers above, and I just came here to welcome you. Don't worry about some remarks made about respecting and professionalism, honestly you are doing fine.

revert2007

Love Fishing
u can read the history of it here

Tradition goes that the Kaaba was ordained by Allah to be built in the shape of the House in Heaven called Baitul Ma’amoor. Allah in his infinite Mercy ordained a similar place on earth and Prophet Adam was the first to build this place

so the first kaba was ordered to be build during the Propphet Adam's time . can u show me the proof that u claim it was build for pagans​

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
yes i understand the kaaba predated islam, i mentioned that in the original post. mohammed originally selected jerusalem as the direction of pray, i think we all agree on that. my question relates to why the change? why wasnt mecca the original direction of pray from the very beginning. if god was speaking to mohammed and the kaaba was the original house of god built by abraham then why the change of mind?

thank you for all your replies, i will be asking my next question in a moment on a new thread

regards

Thank you for such a beautiful question. I know answers have been provided, pls allow me to add something.

And this City of Security, (Holy Qur'an 95:3)

According to many interpretation, the above city was referring to Makkah as a city of security. It's proven today. After more than 1400 Qur'an was revealed, Makkah is now city of peace as predicted by Qur'an but Jerusalem is not. You know best why. Allah knows what happenned million years back and He also knows what going to happen million years to come. He commanded the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) to change the kibla to Makkah, not a second delayed, the entire congregation in prayer immediately turn their direction to Makkah. Jerusalem i.e. Baitul Maqdis having lost it's status as our kibla does not change it's position as one of the three holiest place of worship for muslims. If it remain as our kibla, you will then ask me "why muslims praying towards Jerusalem which also being claimed by the jews and christians?" On the other hand, there is no peace in Jerusalem now with the zionist terrorising in this area.

This prove again what The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) received was really revelation from Allah. He rightly changed to kibla to Makkah and muslims are able to perform their Hajj pilgrimage and umrah in peace.

mosabaig

origion of kaaba

Hello,

It is also in the history of Kaaba that it was first place of worship built by Adam (peace be upon him) and during the flood of Noaha (peace be upon) the building was completely wanished or washed away, then god revealed the location and an angle guided Abrahim (peace be upon) to take rebuit it on the same foundations and later this became a pagon place of worship but after Muhammed (peace be upon) guided us to worship one God and brought to the whole humanity the one final book of guidance the Holy Quran the living merical the words which are of God Almighty talking to Muhammed (peace be upon) and to all of us about the past present and future and his commandaments.

I just gave you information which I took lot of time to discover for my self without quoting the historical referrances but they are around.
Thanks

Amina 1

How true! While a minority of atheists did find the truth of Islam, the majority unfortunately are arrogant. That is what I have found after dialoguing with many of them. They hold their opinions and theories above all else and tend to put down the views of others.

Albert Einstein once said something profound. He said that there are only two ways to look at the universe: that nothing is a miracle and that everything is a miracle! Atheists believe that nothing is a miracle. We believe that everything is an awesome miracle. An atheist would read the Quran and get bored. We read the Quran and it shakes every cell in our bodies, warms our hearts and provokes our minds.

you are an athiest right?
religion doesnt make sense to you right?
then how can you ask questions about religious matters?
no matter what answer we give to you, it will never make sense to you because you dont believe in god. belief in one god is the foundation of Islam.
Isn't it ironic that by asking these questions you're trying to make sense out of something that you believe is illogical?

maybe you should start by asking about the fundamental question "who/what is god?" before asking anything else.

Assalam Alaikum:hearts: brothers arzafar and ayman 1,
I am not disagreeing with what either one of you have said but we do not know why Allah(swt) guides certain people to this site. I know even the most hardened heart Allah(swt) never completely locks out.
I know that even hearts that seem sealed shut Allah(swt) lets open once or twice a year and we never know what Ya Fattah (swt)will let open someones heart it might be a kind word or gesture or maybe something that they read . Allah (swt)guides whom he will. But only if they are willing. If they come here and we are not lucky enough to be the one Allah (swt)uses to let them see the truth we should not despair or condemn . So far db92509 has done nothing offensive that I have seen.
brother abdalilah I know we have had bad experiences in the past with people who start out nice and then turn nasty but do not let it harden your heart or cause you despair. We know not what is in people's heart only Allah(swt) does. I say let's be gracious and kind as the Quran teaches us to be and not expect the worse and always hope for the best. Please forgive me if I have offended anyone it was not my intention.

I would like to say hello to db92509 :SMILY206::SMILY206::SMILY206::D
I hope we can answer your questions and I pray Allah (swt) will lead you into the light.:tti_sister:

You can pray in any direction you would like and Allah(swt) will hear you. But when you submit your will to Allah (swt) you will follow his guidance that is why we pray 5 times a day at set times and face in the same direction it gives us overwhelming unity in our worship. As I have been told and their are brothers and sisters who I hope will correct me if I am wrong Adam was the first one to build it and then Abraham rebuilt it. When Allah ordered us to change direction it exposed a lot of pretenders and answered Muhammad's (saaw) prayers. I am sure he only prayed for it after all the idol's had been removed because it would not of looked nice for us to be praying to a location that was full of idols.:SMILY286:

salahdin

Dear brothers and sisters this guy came here for knowledge .he wants his questions to be anwered by real muslim instead of the western media. He came direct to the source . I red what he has written and i see no offensive language , instead of pointing the finger at him why dont we answer his questions and show him the politeness and the kindness of our beloved prophet salahu aleihim wa salam instead of taking on him .
There is something behind everything and thats why he is here (guidance)you will never know maybe He will some day he will surrender INSHALLAH so help him acheive this .AND i do apologize if we were rude to you intention is sincere. .

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ
There is no compulsion in religion; truly the right way has become clearly distinct from error; therefore, whoever rejects Satan (and what he calls to) and believes in Allah, he indeed has laid hold on the firmest handhold, which shall not break off, and Allah is Hearing, Knowing. 2:256

It is true thou wilt not be able to guide everyone whom thou lovest: but Allah guides those whom He will and He knows best those who receive guidance.
28:56

For Allah guides whom He will to a path that is straight.
2:213

And say: The truth is from your Lord. Then whosoever wills, let him believe; and whosoever wills, let him disbelieve [al-Kahf 18:29

So brothers and sisters let us show him what ISLAM is for its

Here is your answer .

Al-Baqara

The foolish of the people will say: What hath turned them from the qiblah which they formerly observed? Say: Unto Allah belong the East and the West. He guideth whom He will unto a straight path. (142)
Thus We have appointed you a middle nation, that ye may be witnesses against mankind, and that the messenger may be a witness against you. And We appointed the qiblah which ye formerly observed only that We might know him who followeth the messenger, from him who turneth on his heels. In truth it was a hard (test) save for those whom Allah guided. But it was not Allah's purpose that your faith should be in vain, for Allah is Full of Pity, Merciful towards mankind. (143)
We have seen the turning of thy face to heaven (for guidance, O Muhammad). And now verily We shall make thee turn (in prayer) toward a qiblah which is dear to thee. So turn thy face toward the Inviolable Place of Worship, and ye (O Muslims), wheresoever ye may be, turn your faces (when ye pray) toward it. Lo! Those who have received the Scripture know that (this revelation) is the Truth from their Lord. And Allah is not unaware of what they do. (144)
And even if thou broughtest unto those who have received the Scripture all kinds of portents, they would not follow thy qiblah, nor canst thou be a follower of their qiblah; nor are some of them followers of the qiblah of others. And if thou shouldst follow their desires after the knowledge which hath come unto thee, then surely wert thou of the evil-doers. (145)
Those unto whom We gave the Scripture recognise (this revelation) as they recognise their sons. But lo! a party of them knowingly conceal the truth. (146)
It is the Truth from thy Lord (O Muhammad), so be not thou of those who waver. (147)
And each one hath a goal toward which he turneth; so vie with one another in good works. Wheresoever ye may be, Allah will bring you all together. Lo! Allah is Able to do all things. (148)
And whencesoever thou comest forth (for prayer, O Muhammad) turn thy face toward the Inviolable Place of Worship. Lo! it is the Truth from thy Lord. Allah is not unaware of what ye do. (149)
Whencesoever thou comest forth turn thy face toward the Inviolable Place of Worship; and wheresoever ye may be (O Muslims) turn your faces toward it (when ye pray) so that men may have no argument against you, save such of them as do injustice - Fear them not, but fear Me! - and so that I may complete My grace upon you, and that ye may be guided. (150)

Tafsir Ibn Kathir

Changing the Qiblah ـ Direction of the Prayer

Imam Al-Bukhari reported that Al-Bara' bin `Azib narrated: "Allah's Messenger offered his prayers facing Bayt Al-Maqdis (Jerusalem) for sixteen or seventeen months, but he wished that he could pray facing the Ka`bah (at Makkah). The first prayer which he offered (facing the Ka`bah) was the `Asr (Afternoon) prayer in the company of some people. Then one of those who had offered that prayer with him, went out and passed by some people in a mosque who were in the bowing position (in Ruku`) during their prayers (facing Jerusalem). He addressed them saying, `By Allah, I bear witness that I have offered prayer with the Prophet facing Makkah (Ka`bah).' Hearing that, those people immediately changed their direction towards the House (Ka`bah) while still as they were (i.e., in the same bowing position). Some Muslims who offered prayer towards the previous Qiblah (Jerusalem) before it was changed towards the House (the Ka`bah in Makkah) had died or had been martyred, and we did not know what to say about them (regarding their prayers towards Jerusalem). Allah then revealed:

[وَمَا كَانَ اللَّهُ لِيُضِيعَ إِيمَـنَكُمْ إِنَّ اللَّهَ بِالنَّاسِ لَرَءُوفٌ رَّحِيمٌ]

(And Allah would never make your faith (prayers) to be lost (i.e., the prayers of those Muslims were valid)) (2:143).''

Al-Bukhari collected this narration, while Muslim collected it using another chain of narrators. Muhammad bin Ishaq reported that Al-Bara' narrated: Allah's Messenger used to offer prayers towards Bayt Al-Maqdis (in Jerusalem), but would keep looking at the sky awaiting Allah's command (to change the Qiblah). Then Allah revealed:

[قَدْ نَرَى تَقَلُّبَ وَجْهِكَ فِي السَّمَآءِ فَلَنُوَلِّيَنَّكَ قِبْلَةً تَرْضَاهَا فَوَلِّ وَجْهَكَ شَطْرَ الْمَسْجِدِ الْحَرَامِ]

(Verily, We have seen the turning of your (Muhammad's) face towards the heaven. Surely, We shall turn you to a Qiblah (prayer direction) that shall please you, so turn your face in the direction of Al-Masjid Al-Haram (at Makkah).) (2:144)

A man from among the Muslims then said, "We wish we could know about those among us who died before the Qiblah was changed (i.e., towards Makkah) and also about our own prayers, that we had performed towards Bayt Al-Maqdis.'' Allah then revealed:

[وَمَا كَانَ اللَّهُ لِيُضِيعَ إِيمَـنَكُمْ]

(And Allah would never make your faith (prayers) to be lost.) (2:143)

The fools among the people, meaning the People of the Scripture (Jews and Christians), said, "What made them change the former Qiblah that they used to face'' Allah then revealed:

[سَيَقُولُ السُّفَهَآءُ مِنَ النَّاسِ]

(The fools (idolators, hypocrites, and Jews) among the people will say...)

until the end of the Ayah.

`Ali bin Abu Talhah related that Ibn `Abbas said: When Allah's Messenger migrated to Al-Madinah, Allah commanded him to face Bayt Al-Maqdis (Jerusalem). The Jews were delighted then. Allah's Messenger faced Jerusalem for over ten months. However, he liked (to offer prayer in the direction of) Prophet Ibrahim's Qiblah (the Ka`bah in Makkah) and used to supplicate to Allah and kept looking up to the sky (awaiting Allah's command in this regard). Allah then revealed:

[فَوَلُّواْ وُجُوهَكُمْ شَطْرَهُ]

(turn your faces (in prayer) in that direction.) meaning, its direction. The Jews did not like this change and said, "What made them change the Qiblah that they used to face (meaning Jerusalem)'' Allah revealed:

[قُل لّلَّهِ الْمَشْرِقُ وَالْمَغْرِبُ يَهْدِى مَن يَشَآءُ إِلَى صِرَطٍ مُّسْتَقِيمٍ]

(Say (O Muhammad ): "To Allah belong both, east and the west. He guides whom He wills to the straight way.'')

There are several other Ahadith on this subject. In summary, Allah's Messenger was commanded to face Bayt Al-Maqdis (during the prayer) and he used to offer prayer towards it in Makkah between the two corners (of Ka`bah), so that the Ka`bah would be between him and Bayt Al-Maqdis8. When the Prophet migrated to Al-Madinah, this practice was no longer possible; then Allah commanded him to offer prayer towards Bayt Al-Maqdis, as Ibn Abbas and the majority of the scholars have stated.

Al-Bukhari reported in his Sahih that the news (of the change of Qiblah) was conveyed to some of the Ansar while they were performing the `Asr (Afternoon) prayer towards Bayt Al-Maqdis, upon hearing that, they immediately changed their direction and faced the Ka`bah.

It is reported in the Sahihayn (Al-Bukhari Muslim) that Ibn `Umar narrated: While the people were in Quba' (Mosque) performing the Fajr (Dawn) prayer, a man came and said, "A (part of the) Qur'an was revealed tonight to Allah's Messenger and he was commanded to face the Ka`bah. Therefore, face the Ka`bah. They were facing Ash-Sham, so they turned towards the Ka`bah.

These Hadiths prove that the Nasikh (a Text that abrogates a previous Text) only applies after one acquires knowledge of it, even if the Nasikh had already been revealed and announced. This is why the Companions mentioned above were not commanded to repeat the previous `Asr, Maghrib and `Isha' prayers (although they had prayed them towards Jerusalem after Allah had changed the Qiblah). Allah knows best.

When the change of Qiblah (to Ka`bah in Makkah) occurred, those inflicted with hypocrisy and mistrust, and the disbelieving Jews, both were led astray from the right guidance and fell into confusion. They said:

[مَا وَلَّـهُمْ عَن قِبْلَتِهِمُ الَّتِى كَانُواْ عَلَيْهَا]

(What has turned them (Muslims) from their Qiblah to which they used to face in prayer.)

They asked, "What is the matter with these people (Muslims) who one time face this direction (Jerusalem), and then face that direction (Makkah)'' Allah answered their questions when He stated:

[قُل لّلَّهِ الْمَشْرِقُ وَالْمَغْرِبُ]

(Say (O Muhammad ): "To Allah belong both, east and the west.) meaning, the command, the decision and the authority are for Allah Alone. Hence:

[فَأَيْنَمَا تُوَلُّواْ فَثَمَّ وَجْهُ اللَّهِ]

(...so wherever you turn (yourselves or your faces) there is the Face of Allah (and He is High above, over His Throne).) (2:115),

and:

[لَّيْسَ الْبِرَّ أَن تُوَلُّواْ وُجُوهَكُمْ قِبَلَ الْمَشْرِقِ وَالْمَغْرِبِ وَلَـكِنَّ الْبِرَّ مَنْ ءَامَنَ بِاللَّهِ]

( It is not Al-Birr (piety, righteousness) that you turn your faces towards east and (or) west (in prayers); but Al-Birr is the one who believes in Allah.) (2:177) This statement means, the best act is to adhere to Allah's commands. Hence, wherever He commands us to face, we should face. Also, since obedience requires implementing Allah's commands, if He commands us every day to face different places, we are His servants and under His disposal, and we face whatever He orders us to face. Certainly, Allah's care and kindness towards His servant and Messenger, Muhammad , and certainly, his Ummah (Muslim nation) is profoundly great. Allah has guided them to the Qiblah of (Prophet) Ibrahim -- Allah's Khalil (intimate friend). He has commanded them to face the Ka`bah, the most honorable house (of worship) on the face of the earth, which was built by Ibrahim Al-Khalil in the Name of Allah, the One without a partner. This is why Allah said afterwards:

[قُل لّلَّهِ الْمَشْرِقُ وَالْمَغْرِبُ يَهْدِى مَن يَشَآءُ إِلَى صِرَطٍ مُّسْتَقِيمٍ]

(Say (O Muhammad ): "To Allah belong both, east and the west. He guides whom He wills to the straight way.'')

Imam Ahmad reported that `A'ishah (the Prophet's wife) said that Allah's Messenger said about the People of the Scripture (Jews and Christians):

«إنَّهُم لا يَحْسِدونَنَا عَلَى شَيْء كَمَا يَحْسِدونَنا عَلَى يَوْمِ الْجُمُعَةِ الَّتِي هَدَانَا اللهُ لَهَا وَضَلُوا عَنْهَا وَعَلَى الْقِبْلَةِ الَّتِي هَدَانَا اللهُ لَهَا وَضَلُّوا عَنْهَا وَعَلَى قَوْلِنَا خَلْفَ الإِمَامِ: آمِين»

(They do not envy us for a matter more than they envy us for Jumu`ah (Friday) to which Allah has guided us and from which they were led astray; for the (true) Qiblah to which Allah has directed us and from which they were led astray; and for our saying `Amin' behind the Imam (leader of the prayer).)

The Wisdom behind changing the Qiblah

Allah then said:

[وَمَا جَعَلْنَا الْقِبْلَةَ الَّتِى كُنتَ عَلَيْهَآ إِلاَّ لِنَعْلَمَ مَن يَتَّبِعُ الرَّسُولَ مِمَّن يَنقَلِبُ عَلَى عَقِبَيْهِ وَإِن كَانَتْ لَكَبِيرَةً إِلاَّ عَلَى الَّذِينَ هَدَى اللَّهُ]

(And We made the Qiblah (prayer direction towards Jerusalem) which you used to face, only to test those who followed the Messenger (Muhammad ) from those who would turn on their heels (i.e., disobey the Messenger). Indeed it was great (heavy, difficult) except for those whom Allah guided.)

Allah states thus: We have legislated for you, O Muhammad, facing Bayt Al-Maqdis at first and then changed it to the Ka`bah so as to find who will follow and obey you and thus face whatever you face.

[مِمَّن يَنقَلِبُ عَلَى عَقِبَيْهِ]

(...from those who would turn on their heels.) meaning, reverts from his religion. [Allah then said:]

[وَإِن كَانَتْ لَكَبِيرَةً]

(Indeed it was great (heavy, difficult))

The Ayah indicates that changing the Qiblah from Bayt Al-Maqdis to the Ka`bah is heavy on the heart, except for whomever Allah has rightly guided their hearts, who believe in the truth of the Messenger with certainty and that whatever he was sent with is the truth without doubt. It is they who believe that Allah does what He wills, decides what He wills, commands His servants with what He wills, abrogates any of His commands that He wills, and that He has the perfect wisdom and the unequivocal proof in all this. (The attitude of the believers in this respect is) unlike those who have a disease in their hearts, to whom whenever a matter occurs, it causes doubts, just as this same matter adds faith and certainty to the believers. Similarly, Allah said:

[وَإِذَا مَآ أُنزِلَتْ سُورَةٌ فَمِنْهُمْ مَّن يَقُولُ أَيُّكُمْ زَادَتْهُ هَـذِهِ إِيمَـناً فَأَمَّا الَّذِينَ ءامَنُواْ فَزَادَتْهُمْ إِيمَـناً وَهُمْ يَسْتَبْشِرُونَ وَأَمَّا الَّذِينَ فِى قُلُوبِهِم مَّرَضٌ فَزَادَتْهُمْ رِجْسًا إِلَى رِجْسِهِمْ]

(And whenever there comes down a Surah (chapter from the Qur'an), some of them (hypocrites) say: "Which of you has had his faith increased by it'' As for those who believe, it has increased their faith, and they rejoice. But as for those in whose hearts is a disease (of doubt, disbelief and hypocrisy), it will add doubt and disbelief to their doubt and disbelief; and they die while they are disbelievers.) (9:124, 125)

and:

[وَنُنَزِّلُ مِنَ الْقُرْءَانِ مَا هُوَ شِفَآءٌ وَرَحْمَةٌ لِّلْمُؤْمِنِينَ وَلاَ يَزِيدُ الظَّـلِمِينَ إَلاَّ خَسَارًا ]

(And We send down of the Qur'an that which is a healing and a mercy to those who believe, and it increases the wrongdoers in nothing but loss.) (17:82)

Certainly, those who remained faithful to the Messenger , obeyed him and faced whatever Allah commanded them, without doubt or hesitation, were the leaders of the Companions. Some scholars stated that the Early Migrants (who migrated with the Prophet from Makkah to Al-Madinah) and Ansar (the residents of Al-Madinah who gave aid and refuge to both the Prophet and the Migrants) were those who offered prayers towards the two Qiblah (Bayt Al-Maqdis and then the Ka`bah). Al-Bukhari reported in the explanation of the Ayah (2:143) that Ibn `Umar narrated: While the people were performing the Fajr (Dawn) prayer in the Quba' Mosque, a man came and said, "Qur'an was revealed to the Prophet and he was ordered to face the Ka`bah. Therefore, face the Ka`bah.'' They then faced the Ka`bah. Muslim also recorded it.

At-Tirmidhi added that they were performing Ruku` (bowing down in prayer), and then changed the direction (of the Qiblah) to the Ka`bah while still bowing down. Muslim reported this last narration from Anas. These Hadiths all indicate the perfect obedience the Companions had for Allah and His Messenger and their compliance with Allah's commandments, may Allah be pleased with them all.

Allah said:

(And Allah would never make your faith (prayers) to be lost.) meaning, the reward of your prayers towards Bayt Al-Maqdis before would not be lost with Allah. It is reported in Sahih that Abu Ishaq As-Sabi`y related that Bara' narrated: "The people asked about the matter of those who offered prayers towards Bayt Al-Maqdis and died (before the Qiblah was changed to Ka`bah). Allah revealed:

(And Allah would never make your faith (prayers) to be lost.)''

It was also recorded by At-Tirmidhi from Ibn `Abbas, and At-Tirmidhi graded it Sahih.

Ibn Ishaq reported that Ibn `Abbas narrated:

(And Allah would never make your faith to be lost.) entails: Your (prayer towards) the first Qiblah and your believing your Prophet and obeying him by facing the second Qiblah; He will grant you the rewards for all these acts. Indeed,

[إِنَّ اللَّهَ بِالنَّاسِ لَرَءُوفٌ رَّحِيمٌ]

(Truly, Allah is full of kindness, the Most Merciful towards mankind.)''

Furthermore, it is reported in the Sahih that Allah's Messenger saw a woman among the captives who was separated from her child. Whenever she found a boy (infant) among the captives, she would hold him close to her chest, as she was looking for her boy. When she found her child, she embraced him and gave him her breast to nurse. Allah's Messenger said:

« أَتُرَوْنَ هذِهِ طَارِحَةً وَلَدَهَا فِي النَّارِ وَهِي تَقْدِرُ عَلى أَنْ لَا تَطْرَحَه»

؟ قَالُوا: لَا يَا رَسُولَ اللهِ. قَالَ:

«فَوَاللهِ للهُ أَرْحَمُ بِعِبَادِهِ مِنْ هذِهِ بِوَلَدِهَا»

(Do you think that this woman would willingly throw her son in the fire) They said, "No, O Messenger of Allah!'' He said, (By Allah! Allah is more merciful with His servants than this woman with her son.)

[قَدْ نَرَى تَقَلُّبَ وَجْهِكَ فِي السَّمَآءِ فَلَنُوَلِّيَنَّكَ قِبْلَةً تَرْضَاهَا فَوَلِّ وَجْهَكَ شَطْرَ الْمَسْجِدِ الْحَرَامِ وَحَيْثُ مَا كُنتُمْ فَوَلُّواْ وُجُوهَكُمْ شَطْرَهُ وَإِنَّ الَّذِينَ أُوتُواْ الْكِتَـبَ لَيَعْلَمُونَ أَنَّهُ الْحَقُّ مِن رَّبِّهِمْ وَمَا اللَّهُ بِغَـفِلٍ عَمَّا يَعْمَلُونَ ]

(144. Verily, We have seen the turning of your (Muhammad's) face towards the heaven. Surely, We shall turn you to a Qiblah (prayer direction) that shall please you, so turn your face in the direction of Al-Masjid Al-Haram (at Makkah). And wheresoever you people are, turn your faces (in prayer) in that direction. Certainly, the people who were given the Scripture (i.e., Jews and Christians) know well that, that (your turning towards the direction of the Ka`bah at Makkah in prayers) is the truth from their Lord. And Allah is not unaware of what they do).

MSK100

thank you for making me feel welcome on this forum. I have many questions to ask and i hope to ask them in the following days. this particular question was prompted as i was watching a video of the kaaba on youtube and felt the need to get some answers from muslims.

it just seemed very convenient to say that abraham built the kaaba but it still doesnt explain why it was changed from jerusalemit seems very political rather than a religious decision. what was to stop the muslims praying towards mecca fro the very beginning as muslims do today from where ever in the world

regards
First, welcome to the forum, second, I will try to answer with god grace.

I believe God (SWT) had ordered Muhammed (PBUH) to pray toward Jerusalim to show the jews and christians that Muhammed, Jesus, and Moses are all prophets and all were sent by God to guide people, and since God is one, then why do not all these people face one point when praying. Afterwards, God as he knew that Muhammed would love to pray towards the Kaaba and not Jerusalim (and both were built by Abraham PBUH), so God ordered muslims to face Kaaba in their prayers.
Hope this make sense, and Thank you for this important question

Muslimah77

Slave of Allah (SWT)
The Qiblah - Direction for Prayer

Welcome to this forum,

I ask Allah to show you the truth and help you to follow it.

PROOF THAT GOD EXISTS:

http://www.irf.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=212&Itemid=186

http://www.godallah.com/

***************************************************************************************************

HISTORY OF THE KAABA:
(Source: The Holy Kaaba. Prepared by The General Presidency of the Affairs of the Holy Sacred Mosque and the Prophet’s Mosque)

After Prophet Ibrahim and his son Ismail (peace be upon them) answered Allah’s order to build the Kaaba, Allah ordered Prophet Ibrahim (PBUH) to circle around the Kaaba 7 times (known as Tawaaf), and to make pilgrimage to it. Islam later on confirmed and re-established Prophet Ibrahim’s religious teachings. Therefore, the essence of Islam is to resurrect the religion of Prophet Ibrahim (PBUH). Almighty Allah says:

“Then We revealed to you (Muhammad): ‘Follow the religion of Ibrahim, a man of pure faith who was not an idolater.’”
[Al-Qur’an 16:123]

Arab’s of Prophet Ismail’s (PBUH) offspring continued to follow Prophet Ibrahim’s (PBUH) religion, but as time passed and over the years novelties were introduced and deviation was made of the essence of the pure religion until they became polytheists and forgot the notion of resurrection and immersed in many types of immoral corruption such as worshipping statues of different gods and idols which they made by themselves. However, they did follow some rituals that were legislated by Prophet Ibrahim (PBUH) such as Pilgrimage and Tawaaf. They also maintained the belief in Allah as the Creator, Sustainer and Provider: Allah says:

“And surely if you should ask them: Who created the Heavens and Earth? They will say: Allah.”
[Al-Qur’an 39:38]

***************************************************************************************************

THE QIBLAH
(Source: www.irf.net by Dr Zakir Naik)

Kaaba is the Qiblah i.e. the direction Muslims face during their prayers. It is important to note that though Muslims face the Kaaba during prayers, they do not worship the Kaaba. Muslims worship and bow to none but Allah.

It is mentioned in Surah Baqarah (Chapter 2 of the Qur’an):

“We see the turning of thy face (for guidance) to the heavens: now shall We turn thee to a Qiblah that shall please thee. Turn then thy face in the direction of the Sacred Mosque: wherever ye are, turn your faces in that direction.”
[Al-Qur’an 2:144]

1. Islam believes in fostering unity

For instance, if Muslims want to offer Salaah (Prayer), it is possible that some may wish to face north, while some may wish to face south. In order to unite Muslims in their worship of the One True God, Muslims, wherever they may be, are asked to face in only one direction i.e. towards the Kaaba. If some Muslims live towards the west of the Kaaba they face the east. Similarly if they live towards the east of the Kaaba they face the west.

2. Kaaba is at the centre of the World Map

The Muslims were the first people to draw the map of the world. They drew the map with the south facing upwards and north downwards. The Kaaba was at the centre. Later, western cartographers drew the map upside down with the north facing upwards and south downwards. Yet, Alhamdullilah (praise is for Allah) the Kaaba is at the centre of the world map.

3. Tawaaf around Kaaba for indicating One God

When the Muslims go to Masjid-e-Haram in Makkah, they perform tawaaf or circumambulation round the Kaaba. This act symbolizes the belief and worship of One God, since, just as every circle has one centre, so also there is only one Allah worthy of worship.

4. People stood on Kaaba and gave the adhaan (call to prayer)

At the time of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him), people even stood on the Kaaba and gave the ‘adhaan’ or the call to prayer. One may ask those who allege that Muslims worship the Kaaba; which idol worshipper stands on the idol he worships?

CHANGING THE QIBLAH – DIRECTION OF THE PRAYER:

Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) offered his prayers facing Baytul Al-Maqdis (in Jerusalem) for 16 or 17 months, but he wished that he could pray facing the Kaabah at Makkah and would keep looking at the sky awaiting Allah’s command to change the Qiblah.

The Jews panicked on account of the advancement of the Muslims because their ever increasing successes went on to show that very soon the religion of Islam would spread to the entire Peninsula and the strength and influence of the Jews would come to an end. They put forward the question of offering prayers facing Baytul Al-Maqdis and said:

"Muhammad claims that his is an independent religion and his law supersedes all previous laws, but he does not yet have an independent 'Qiblah' and offers his prayers facing the 'Qiblah' of the Jews".

This news hurt the Prophet (PBUH). Then Allah revealed:

“Verily, We have seen the turning of your (Muhammad’s) face towards the heaven. Surely, We shall turn you to a Qiblah (prayer direction) that shall please you, so turn your face in the direction of Al-Masjid Al-Haram (at Makkah).”
[Al-Qur’an 2:144]

It appears from the verses of the Qur'an that change of the Qiblah was not due only to the objection of the Jews, but there was also another reason for it. It was that the matter possessed an aspect of a test. The intention was that the true believers and those who were not sincere in their faith should be identified and the Prophet (PBUH) should fully recognize such persons because the second order, in obedience to which he turned his face towards Masjid Al-Haram while performing prayers, was the sign of faith in the new religion whilst disobedience and delay were a sign of double-mindedness and hypocrisy. The Qur'an itself mentions this fact clearly in the following verse:

“We only made the direction the one you used to face (Prophet) in order to distinguish those who follow the Messenger from those who turn on their heels: that test was hard, except for those God has guided.”
[Al-Qur’an 2:143]

:hijabi:

arzafar

Assalam Alaikum:hearts: brothers arzafar and ayman 1,
I am not disagreeing with what either one of you have said but we do not know why Allah(swt) guides certain people to this site. I know even the most hardened heart Allah(swt) never completely locks out.
I know that even hearts that seem sealed shut Allah(swt) lets open once or twice a year and we never know what Ya Fattah (swt)will let open someones heart it might be a kind word or gesture or maybe something that they read . Allah (swt)guides whom he will. But only if they are willing. If they come here and we are not lucky enough to be the one Allah (swt)uses to let them see the truth we should not despair or condemn . So far db92509 has done nothing offensive that I have seen.
brother abdalilah I know we have had bad experiences in the past with people who start out nice and then turn nasty but do not let it harden your heart or cause you despair. We know not what is in people's heart only Allah(swt) does. I say let's be gracious and kind as the Quran teaches us to be and not expect the worse and always hope for the best. Please forgive me if I have offended anyone it was not my intention.

I would like to say hello to db92509 :SMILY206::SMILY206::SMILY206::D
I hope we can answer your questions and I pray Allah (swt) will lead you into the light.:tti_sister:

You can pray in any direction you would like and Allah(swt) will hear you. But when you submit your will to Allah (swt) you will follow his guidance that is why we pray 5 times a day at set times and face in the same direction it gives us overwhelming unity in our worship. As I have been told and their are brothers and sisters who I hope will correct me if I am wrong Adam was the first one to build it and then Abraham rebuilt it. When Allah ordered us to change direction it exposed a lot of pretenders and answered Muhammad's (saaw) prayers. I am sure he only prayed for it after all the idol's had been removed because it would not of looked nice for us to be praying to a location that was full of idols.:SMILY286:

i dont want to discourage him. i was just implying to the fact that being an athiest, he should start by undertanding/realizing that there is ONE diety worthy of worship and that is Allah. This fundamental concept is THE most important concept and these petty questions regarding the practice wont fulfil this purpose. The belief behind all islamic practices, Tawheed is essential to undertanding everything about true islam.