Atlanta woman arrested for not taking off hijab!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

butterflymuslima

ATLANTA – A Muslim woman arrested for refusing to take off her head scarf at a courthouse security checkpoint said Wednesday that she felt her human and civil rights were violated.

A judge ordered Lisa Valentine, 40, to serve 10 days in jail for contempt of court, said police in Douglasville, a city of about 20,000 people on Atlanta's west suburban outskirts.

Valentine violated a court policy that prohibits people from wearing any headgear in court, police said after they arrested her Tuesday.

Valentine, who recently moved to Georgia from Connecticut, said the incident reminded her of stories she'd heard of the civil rights-era South.

"I just felt stripped of my civil, my human rights," she said Wednesday from her home. She said she was unexpectedly released after the Washington-based Council on American-Islamic Relations urged federal authorities to investigate the incident as well as others in Georgia.

Jail officials declined to say why she was freed and municipal Court Judge Keith Rollins said that "it would not be appropriate" for him to comment on the case.

Last year, a judge in Valdosta in southern Georgia barred a Muslim woman from entering a courtroom because she would not remove her head scarf. There have been similar cases in other states, including Michigan, where a Muslim woman in Detroit filed a federal lawsuit in February 2007 after a judge dismissed her small-claims court case when she refused to remove a head and face veil.

Valentine's husband, Omar Hall, said his wife was accompanying her nephew to a traffic citation hearing when officials stopped her at the metal detector and told her she would not be allowed in the courtroom with the head scarf, known as a hijab.

Hall said Valentine, an insurance underwriter, told the bailiff that she had been in courtrooms before with the scarf on and that removing it would be a religious violation. When she turned to leave and uttered an expletive, Hall said a bailiff handcuffed her and took her before the judge.

butterflymuslima

I posted a letter to the editor in the Atlanta Journal and several local papers about this incident. I am the only woman in my county in Georgia who wears a hijab so I am curious to see what happens. Someone said they couldn't wait to see when I got called for jury duty!! I will keep you posted if this happens. I am just so saddened and more than a little mad about this. I know that had this been a Catholic nun or a Jewish rabbi this would not have happened. I am hoping this judge will loose his job and be disbarred. This is the second time he's done this to a Muslim woman!

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
:salah:Sister, you shall continue to wear hijab and headscarf. InsyAllah, I will pray for you and hope Allah will put some lights into the judge heart.

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
:salam2:

i think that this a great violation of religious rights of a federally protected class. they may be getting away with this right now, but i tell you when the story gets a little larger, all of this discrimination will come to an end. insha'allah.
:wasalam:

Salaam,

There is no "freedom of religion" for Muslims in America. The Islamic Saudi Academy (ISA) in Fairfax, Virginia (USA) can tell you that.

If you go through metal detectors with your clothes & hijab on and the alarm doesn't go off, then what's the big deal!? Some people can never use their logic to think outside their box.

"O ye who believe! Take not into your intimacy those outside your ranks. They will not fail to corrupt you. They only desire your ruin. Rank hatred has already appeared from their mouths. What their hearts conceal is far worse. We have made plain to you the signs if ye have wisdom." (3:118)

AlQurtubi

Banned
Again we can the the double standards of West, very clearly. All the words like freedon of expression, liberation, civil rights, religious rights etc are used by them when they need it.

They havent and will not accept muslims ever.

islam_best

Assalaamalaikum,
Believing sisters are harassed more in America than in any other part of the world i guess. When i started wearing Hijab to school (Alhamdullillah) the first question non-muslim girls asked me- 'Did your parents force you into this?' My answer was clear- 'No, it was my duty and i love my duties!!'

pcozzy

This is system of government is the laid out in the constitution. Number 1 the first is :
Amendment 1 - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Redress
redress v. 1. To set right, remedy or rectify. 2. To make amends for. n. 1. Satisfaction for wrong done; reparation. 2. Correction. [<OFr. redresser.] Source: AHD.

got it from:
http://www.usconstitution.net/glossary.html#REDRESS

It's amazing how sick gay used this to make legal gay marriage.

United States is all about money and media relations. That is how they choose to address subjects. i feel really mad that this muslim girl was subjected to harassment for her faith. Personally I have no legal skills what so ever but alhamdillah there are organization that are tuff and addressing these issues with the government. Bush was extremely tough on muslims all over the world. And if you don't know those federal judges get picked by his admin. Not to mention vise president Cheney orders of water boarding and punishing muslims who never were convicted of anything and were not allowed to follow the US constitution due process. Ashcroft is getting investigated for his involvement too. You know water boarding was classified as a war crime and some other country I cant remember where sent to the Haig for it.

I all can say as muslims we need to stand out for our rights and use the US law to handle these opressors. Organizations like CAIR you mentioned in post #1 are very good. These are muslims who know the constitution and use the best method; justice and due process. It will take time but what we as muslims should do:

#1 stick together (Brotherhood & Sisterhood)
#2 straighten our rows in prayer and feet to feet.
#3 participate in any way we can together
#4 use the pen (first ayah nazool)
#5 make duaa for all muslims (little selflessness)
#6 spend in the way Allah tells us to and the way the prophet PBUH taught.
#7 educate hour self with effective resolutions to our Ummahs problems

I could go on but these are starters in sha Allah we can prevent oppression.

lastly : I heard a guy say the US should give Iraq the US constitution, heck we are not using it anymore anyways.

thank you for this information please keep it up turntoislam

muthmainnah

This is a test for our brothers and sisters there
May Allah strenghten their iman (faith) and give them great sabr (patience) in facing this trial. Insha Allah He will grant you great rewards. Amin
Don't worry Allah is with you!

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
Assalamu Aleykum Warahmatullahi Wabarkaathuh.

May Allah (SWT) burn the skin, flesh, and bones of those filthy Kuffar (Disbelieving) men and women for harassing our Honored, Respected, and Dignified Sisters in Islam with their dirty and FILTHY hands, Ameen! For Wallahi, there DOES NOT EXIST any being, any creation in the heavens and the earth who is more FILTTHIER than a DIRTY KAFFIR (and I do NOT mean a regular Non-Muslim, one who does not fight against the Deen of Allah S.W.T.) and MUNAFIQ! For they fight against the Muslims and WAGE WAR against Allah (SAW) and his Messenger (SAW) (and then their FINAL place will be in HELL, Insha Allahu Ta Alla)! :mad:

moz-screenshot.png
moz-screenshot-1.png

!
الآمرات الاسلامی زندباد

Mila

Assalam Alaykum
This actually comes to no surprise to me its horrible in some places of georgia you get dirty looks and people spitting on you etc.
Inshallah justice will be served because her rights have been violated if not from court then from someone much higher than us all.

queenislam

★★★I LOVE ALLAH★★★
disagreed of being too human???

ATLANTA – A Muslim woman arrested for refusing to take off her head scarf at a courthouse security checkpoint said Wednesday that she felt her human and civil rights were violated.
A judge ordered Lisa Valentine, 40, to serve 10 days in jail for contempt of court, said police in Douglasville, a city of about 20,000 people on Atlanta's west suburban outskirts.
Valentine violated a court policy that prohibits people from wearing any headgear in court, police said after they arrested her Tuesday.
Valentine, who recently moved to Georgia from Connecticut, said the incident reminded her of stories she'd heard of the civil rights-era South.
"I just felt stripped of my civil, my human rights," she said Wednesday from her home. She said she was unexpectedly released after the Washington-based Council on American-Islamic Relations urged federal authorities to investigate the incident as well as others in Georgia.
Jail officials declined to say why she was freed and municipal Court Judge Keith Rollins said that "it would not be appropriate" for him to comment on the case.
Last year, a judge in Valdosta in southern Georgia barred a Muslim woman from entering a courtroom because she would not remove her head scarf. There have been similar cases in other states, including Michigan, where a Muslim woman in Detroit filed a federal lawsuit in February 2007 after a judge dismissed her small-claims court case when she refused to remove a head and face veil.
Valentine's husband, Omar Hall, said his wife was accompanying her nephew to a traffic citation hearing when officials stopped her at the metal detector and told her she would not be allowed in the courtroom with the head scarf, known as a hijab.
Hall said Valentine, an insurance underwriter, told the bailiff that she had been in courtrooms before with the scarf on and that removing it would be a religious violation. When she turned to leave and uttered an expletive, Hall said a bailiff handcuffed her and took her before the judge.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
:bismillah:

There a law on indecently in public and a decently on law on public too???

Indecently as human behaving like animal it every has agreed on but decently as not agreed to being human???Now this is being rediculous!!!
Hope ppl over there realise their mistake soon b4 the matter got topsy turvy!!

* so does this mean thier Nun has to take it off too?Hope they are being fare to everybody as law is law!

Thank you for sharing this news sister.
~May Allah swt reward you~Amin!

Thank you,
Take Care!

~Wassalam :)

saifkhan

abd-Allah
Saalam alaikum

wherever you go, will see the violence of not law but the Human rights.
may Allh subhanahu wa ta'la help us to be live proudly and help our sisters all around the world.

and may Allah give hidaya or atleast touch of humanity in those insane people...so that they can give everyone their human rights and stop attacking us.

wassalam

alf2

Islam is a way of life
Is this recent?

I live in East Metro Atlanta, and heard a similar story 2 years ago :(
Either way, it's very sad. They should have let a female guard inspect her or whatever they needed to do. Hijab is our religious right, I am amazed they got away with this.

DanyalSAC

Is this recent?

I live in East Metro Atlanta, and heard a similar story 2 years ago :(
Either way, it's very sad. They should have let a female guard inspect her or whatever they needed to do. Hijab is our religious right, I am amazed they got away with this.

No. This is almost 2 years old and is most likely the story you heard of from that time. The original date on this post was back in Dec of 2008.

Status
Not open for further replies.