Avoiding Extremism In Religion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
:salam2:

It is of vital importance to stay away from the destructive tendency of extremism. People need to be made aware of the following:

1. First of all, we need to remind ourselves and others of the many hadîth that warn against extremism and that call to moderation, balance, and justice.

For instance, the Prophet (peace be upon him) said:

“No one goes to extremes in his faith except that it defeats him.”

He also said:

“Keep away from extremism.” and: “Moderation, moderation, and you will succeed.”

2. We also need to be reminded of the evil consequences of extremism, not the least of which is the fact that extremism is a way of forsaking our Prophet’s Sunnah and it places severe hardships on people.

3. Extremism breeds its opposite, even within a single individual.

There are many cases of people that have gone to extremes in their religion, which in turn brought them to the point of forsaking their faith altogether.

4. We need to be reminded to supplicate to Allah for guidance, especially guidance to the “straight path”.

When the Prophet (peace be upon him) stood in his night prayers, he would say:

“O Allah, Lord of Gabriel, Michael, and Raphael, originator of the heavens and the Earth, knower of the seen and unseen to judge between Your servants in what they used to differ. Guide me to the truth in what they differ about. Surely, You guide whom You please to a way that is straight.” [Sahîh Muslim]

And Allah knows best.

Islamtoday

Libinette

Umm Zubayr
assalamu caleikum,

jazakallaah kheir for reminding us, but can you give me an example of extremism, i am not sure wht it is anymore!! Media saying that wearing a beard or niqab is extrem:confused: but what is seen as extrem in the sight of Allah or was in Prophet Muhamed's? i'd be grateful if anyone could answer me

:wasalam:

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
assalamu caleikum,

jazakallaah kheir for reminding us, but can you give me an example of extremism, i am not sure wht it is anymore!! Media saying that wearing a beard or niqab is extrem:confused: but what is seen as extrem in the sight of Allah or was in Prophet Muhamed's? i'd be grateful if anyone could answer me

:wasalam:

JazakAllah hu khairan for the post brother

Libin i hope this helps...

Making things that is easy to do but u make it difficult for yourself. these things include taking wudu and doing prayer and others....

Having a beard or wearing a niqab is definitely not an extreme act...

Allahu a'lam

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
Media saying that wearing a beard or niqab is extrem:confused: but what is seen as extrem in the sight of Allah or was in Prophet Muhamed's? i'd be grateful if anyone could answer me

Wa alaikum assalam Sister,

Extremism is exaggerating and going beyond the limit set by Allah SWT.

For example, a man says, “I want to spend all night in prayer (qiyaam al-layl), and never sleep all my life, because prayer is one of the best acts of worship, so I want to spend the entire night in prayer.” We say, this is going to extremes in the religion of Allaah, and this is not right.

Something like this happened at the time of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), when a group of men got together and one of them said, “I will pray at night and never sleep.” Another said, “I will fast and never break my fast.” The third one said, “I will never marry women.”
News of that reached the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and he said,

“What is wrong with people who say such and such? I fast and I break my fast. I sleep, and I marry women. Whoever overlooks my Sunnah does not belong to me.”

These people had gone to extremes in religion, and so the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) disowned them, because they overlooked his Sunnah which includes fasting and not fasting, praying at night and sleeping, and marrying women.

Another example are those who think they should wash their hands and face with soap during ablution (wudu`).

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah preserve him) said:

Washing the hands and face with soap when doing wudoo’ is not prescribed in sharee’ah. On the contrary, it is a kind of obstinate and excessive zeal. It was reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“Those who are obstinate and excessively zealous are doomed.” He said it three times.

Mohsin

abdu'Allah
Assalamu-alaikum

Jazak-Allah khairan brother, i found few verses and some more ahadith about the subject.

Allah says,
"Ta Ha. We did not send down the Qur'an to you to make you miserable," (20:1)

and

"Allah desires ease for you; He does not desire difficulty for you." (2:185)

Abu Hurayra reported that the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "The deen is easy. Anyone who makes the deen too hard on himself will find it becomes too much for him. So aim for what is right, follow a middle path, accept the good news of the reward for right action, and seek help [to reach your goal by being constant in worshipping] in the morning, evening and some of the night."[al-Bukhari]

In one variant of al-Bukhari, "so aim for what is right, follow a middle path, and head for the goal in the morning, evening and some of the night and you will reach the goal."

Ibn Mas'ud reported that the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "Those who make things hard for themselves will be destroyed." He said it three times. [Muslin]

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
Happy 2B Muslim said:
“O Allah, Lord of Gabriel, Michael, and Raphael, originator of the heavens and the Earth, knower of the seen and unseen to judge between Your servants in what they used to differ. Guide me to the truth in what they differ about. Surely, You guide whom You please to a way that is straight.” [Sahîh Muslim]

Lol sister I think you mean Jibril (A), Michaeel (A), and Israfeel (A).

BlueFish

In Islam how does extremism equate with suicide bombing?

If you have a good sense of judgment, then it should tell you that no matter who is doing suicide bombing, it is an extreme act of desperation. There is a quote i heard, "suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem."
I am a little bothered by why you would ask this. Why do you ask? Islam calls no one to blow there selfs up!

PEACE!

BlueFish

are the riots and protest and angry killings formt he muhammad cartoon controversy considered extremism?

I would think so. Some one torched the mosque down the street from me yesterday, no one has been killed and no one has been arrested...yet. Who knows if they will. All that happened was people talked about it on the radio and news, and about how disheartening this was. I can't explain why people freak out sometimes. But yeah I thought riots and killings was uncalled for over a drawing.

PEACE!

Kanini

asalamu alaikum

im from a christian background. my mom and i are "seventh-day adventist" (this means i have been baptised in a sda church but for the record- im a nothing, i have no religion). this means we observe the jewish sabbath. we're jews but still christians. but about that suicide thing, my mom says that i cant be a muslim bcos muslims blow up themselves because they believe the Allah will be pleased with them, and they will go to heaven and have many possessions and many concubines. Since i know nothing i want someone to explain, before my mind is fully poisoned against islam (yea thats my moms fault)

ur girlfren, Kanini

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
Kanini said:
ur girlfren,Kanini

Excuse me? Girlfriend! :astag: What a disgrace! We proud Muslim men ONLY GET MARRIED AND HAVE WIVES NOT GIRLFRIENDS THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND NOT TO MENTION MUSLIM WOMEN WHO FULLY SHOW THEIR LOVE TOWARDS ALLAH (GOD) AND NOT HAVING MEN GET ATTRACTED TO THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good day to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.