Blame Ourselves or Blame the Rulers?

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum.

Times are desperate and we need unity. I hope we can all leave off any unnecessary arguments as topics like this often lead to. I'm merely posting this for us to reflect, ponder over and benefit.

Blame Ourselves or Blame the Rulers​

Prepared by Dr Saleh as Saleh
( May Allah grant him ferdous al'a'laa )
Taken from www.arabic-courses.com

Imaam Ibnul Qayyim (rahimahullaah) talked about what people think is the fitnah of "our times", i.e. meaning his own times, but this applies just as well to the contemporary fitnah of our own times. About the ways of Allaah (I) in this creation vis-a-vis the rulers and the ruled, he said :

"And contemplate Allaah's (I) Wisdom when He made people of authority, making them a reflection of the ruled. It is as if the deeds of the ruled appear in the form and deeds of their rulers :

if the ruled are upright, then their rulers will be upright

if the ruled incline away from uprightness, then their rulers will do the same to them

if the ruled transgress and oppress, then their rulers will do the same to them

if there appears deception and plotting from the ruled, then it will be the same from their rulers

if the ruled take away the rights of the people and become miser as to the rights of others, then their rulers will do the same to them and deprive them of their rights

if the ruled take away from the oppressed /weak among them that which they deserve not to take in their transactions with them, then their rulers will do that towards the ruled's wealth and take what they deserve not, and impose on the ruled taxes and assignments

and whenever the ruled take from the oppressed and weak unjustly, then their rulers will do the same to them and take it by force

so the actions of the ruled appear in the actions of the rulers and it is not in the Divine Wisdom that Allaah (I) assigns authority over the wicked and evils ones, EXCEPT to the ones who are of their own kind

Since the first generation was of the best generation and of the most righteous, ... so were their leaders righteous

It is not befitting Allaah's Wisdaom that in "our times" (Ibnul Qayyim's times) that those assigned to authority over us be the like of Muaawiya and 'Umar bin 'Abdul 'Aziz, not to mention Abu Bakr and 'Umar. The leaders of those before us were in accordance with their own conditions and ranks. Our leaders are in accordance with our own condition and rank. In both cases, this is entailed by the Wisdom of Allaah (I)."

Such is the conclusion of Imaam Ibnul Qayyim (rahimahullah) concerning his times, i.e. the 8th century A.H., so what do you think about our own times?

The Wisdom of Allaah (I) pertains to His Attributes. He puts things in accordance with His Hikmah and puts them in their proper places with what fits. The Wisdom of Allaah (I) has a noble and most perfect objective.

As for those who hasten in making these roads for "deliverance" and see getting rid of the rulers as the solution to their problems, they confuse symptoms and disease.

The rulers are seen as being the causes when in reality they are only the symptoms. The true illness is within the ruled. Therefore, all endeavors towards finding a solution should focus on the ruled themselves.

The deeds of the ruled are reflected in the deeds of the people having authority over them. When the people are not ready and are away from the deen of Allaah, who would you expect them to deserve as rulers?

Prepared by Dr saleh as Saleh
( May Allah grant him ferdous al'a'laa)

Salaam,

It's true. When we have ideal Muslims we create ideal families, then ideal families creates ideal societies, and ideal societies creates ideal governments & rulers.

May Allah help us all on a individual level and unite us like our successful predecessors. Ameen.

Jazakallah khair for sharing this article brother.

Muhammad Saleh

:salam2:
Thanks a lot for sharing it. It was very informative and relevant. But I disagree with the idea of not criticizing rulers before we (ruled) become angels. Islam is not a one dimensional phenomenon. We can’t become pious if are not ruled by just leaders. It’s the ruling class which determines the values and norms of the society. To criticize unjust ruler is also a very pious deed. This reminds me of how Hazrat Omar (RA) was asked to give account of an extra piece of a cloth he was wearing by an ordinary Muslim during friday Khutba when we are ordered to remain silent.
Don’t you people think it’s our religous duty that we should support the righteous and criticize the evil. It’s degrading for us to be subjugated by the most corrupt and tyrant leaders of the world. It was Islam which gave a democratic system of government to this world and how our leaders have manipulated Islam to support their monarchies. Why do we want to keep ourselves ignorant about the realities of this world? What is wrong or unislamic to talk about something which really exists?

May Allah guide us all

:wasalam:

fada_all

salam alikom

jazaka allah khir katir brother for sharing with us this very nice konwledge may allah reward you al jannah

salam alaykum

im a bit confused here so it means that all those tyrants that are appointed is because of the publics deeds?.......

zbhotto

Banned
Yes I think so

If you disobey your parents your children will disobey you. If you are disobedient to your Husband your children will not love you as a mother. If you oppress your wives ruler of your society/your employer will oppress you.

This is an Islamic teaching I heard from reliable speaker Abdur Rahman Green.

B.H.

there is an old proverb that states:

As goes the prince so goes the people.

Have trashy wicked people you get wicked trashy rulers.

i was jz wondering what if its the parents that r corrupt and not the children??......i mean mostly ull c if the parents smoke the children smoke ..... if the parents drink the children drink and etc

Deen_e_Mohammad

All praise for Allah Alone........

Truly what a great place this has been during the last One hour of my going through this site i have come across so many wonderful things and one of them is indeed this thread....

I so much agree with the intention of this thread made by my brother Kashmiri and also i read a facinating reply by my brother Muhammad Saleh may Allah bless them both and increase them in wisdom.

What i have understood from this discussion is a corrupt society dont have any Moral authority to question its ruler as its also to blame and very much as guilty as the ruler.

Yes its true that Caliph Umar (R) was question while he was asending to the mimber for khutba. And it was his son who have given them that piece of cloth which his son stood up and clarified and then Umar (R) turned to the questioner and said are you convinced now because unless you are not convince i wont ascend the Mimbar.

We should keep in mind the questioner was A Sahaba and Umar was a Caliph not a King, every Caliph was given a salary for his service to islam. So the case here is different from the present state of Kings or would have been in 8th century.

Kindly read the following article as it might help us to come closer to the truth...

About corruption and what to do about Muslim leaders whose
methodology or teaching is to commit the haram (prohibited)

The Prophet (sallallahu aleihi wa sallam) said:

"Allah does not punish the individuals for the sins of the community until they see the evil spreading among themselves, and while they have the power to stop it, do not do so." (Ahmad)

Shaykhul-Islaam Ibn Taymiyyah said:

"This is why those who are in authority are of two groups: the scholars and the rulers. If they are upright, the people will be upright; if they are corrupt, the people will be corrupt."

The Noble Qur'an - Hud 11:85

"And O my people! Give full measure and weight in justice and reduce not the things that are due to the people, and do not commit mischief in the land, causing corruption.

The Noble Qur'an - Hud 11:113

And incline not toward those who do wrong, lest the Fire should touch you, and you have no protectors other than Allâh, nor you would then be helped

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do not split from the Jamaa'ah
as a result of a corrupt leader

Hadith - Al-Bukhari and Muslim, and other narration by at-Tirmidhee (no. 2867) and Ahmad (4/130).

Allaah’s Messenger (SAAWS) said, "He who sees from his ruler something he dislikes, let him be patient with him, for he who splits away from the Jamaa’ah by a handspan and then dies, dies a death of Jaahiliyyah" and in a narration, "then he has thrown off the yoke of Islaam from his neck."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Be Firm yet Just with a Corrupt Muslim

The Noble Qur'an - Al-Ma'idah 5:8

O you who believe! Stand out firmly for Allâh and be just witnesses and let not the enmity and hatred of others make you avoid justice. Be just: that is nearer to piety, and fear Allâh. Verily, Allâh is Well*!Acquainted with what you do.

Shaykh Abdul-Azeez ibn Baaz, hafidahullah was asked, "Is it from the manhaj (methodology) of the Salaf to criticise the Rulers from the minbar (the pulpit)? And what is the manhaj of the Salaf with respect to advising the Rulers?" He responded:

It is not from the manhaj of the Salaf to publicise the faults of the Rulers and to mention such things from the pulpit because that leads to confusion/disorder and the absence of hearing and obeying the ruler in what is good. it also results in (the people) becoming engrossed (with these matters, arguing and debating) which causes harm and produces no benefit. The followed path with the Salaf, however is to give naseehah (advice) with respect to the matters which are between themselves and the leader, writing to him or by reaching him through the scholars who keep in touch with him (to advise him) until the ruler is directed towards the good. Repelling the evil occurs without mentioning the doer of the evil. So fornication, drinking of intoxicants and the taking of usury are curbed without mentioning the one who does such things. Warding off the evil and warning and the people against it is sufficient without it being mentioned that such and such a person does it, whether he is a ruler or other than the ruler.

And when the fitnah occurred in the time of 'Uthmaan , some of the people said to Usaamah ibn Zaid , "Will you not speak to "'Uthmaan?" So he replied, "You think that I will not talk to him without letting you know about it (also). Indeed, I will certainly talk to him regarding that which concerns me and him without initiating a matter which I do not love to be the first to initiate."

Hadith - Reported by Ahmad (3/403) and Ibn Abee 'Aasim (2/521) with a saheeh isnaad.

It is authentically reported from the Messenger in the hadeeth of 'Iyaad ibn Ghunum who said, "The Messenger of Allaah (saaws) said, 'Whoever desires to advise the one with authority then he should not do so openly, rather he should take him by the hand and take him into seclusion (and then advise him). And if he accepts (the advice) from him then (he has achieved his objective) and if not, then he has fulfilled that which was a duty upon him.' "

May Allah guide us to better understanding of Islam "AAMEEN"

Rashadi

i think that both must be blamed. i don't trust none of the leaders today and the ruled are for the most thing ignorant.

lymcinfli

It was very informative and relevant.I accept with the idea of not criticizing rulers before we (ruled) become angels. Islam is not a one dimensional phenomenon.

safiya58

:salam2:

so if we all agree that the wealth of the ummah is up to the ruled ones, yani to us muslims than we all as individuals have a great responsibillity.... we have to do alot and we can change alot.... if we only could c that.....

instead of cursing our fellow muslim brothers/sisters for their evil deeds why do we not invite them to the straight path... if we unit and stay together we can establish a society with high moral standards.... if we only could understand that we are all in the same boat... hijabi and non-hijabi....

:wasalam:

Crystal Clear

Alhamdu lillaah
Ma shaa Allah!
May Allah reward you the best for this useful topic!

It precisley explains our problem that we usualy blame the other party without trying to set right our own conditions!!

May Allah guide all of us to the right path!